Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Will "Paris 76" ever get the '72, '78 DVD treatment?
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 28, 2011 02:37

If they do, I really hope they release a whole show (or all of them) rather than just the bits that were compiled for TV.

I personally love the 1976 tour.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 28, 2011 08:55

nah- I think that was a solid stand up triple -

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 28, 2011 09:51

The thing about the Stones live in the seventies period was they were forever changing. One tends to think of the 76 period as the Stones becoming very tired and rather indulgent musically, and that that's just an extention of what happens when an artist begins to feel a little less fresh, and less inspired. That may very well be true, yet the Stones do actually sound quite different to how they did in the early seventies, and also different from around the 78 era, too. One can definitely see the beginnings of their 76 sound on the late 73 european tour, perhaps, thanks possibly in part to Billy Preston's involvement. Ultimately, the Stones were on an ever changing/evolving journey in the seventies, and some of their journey was far more successful/inspiring than others, but for me it was always quite interesting. To a point the 76 Paris concert does actually stand up quite well on its own terms, and especially when the Stones were performing songs from their last studio album BLACK AND BLUE. 'Hand Of Fate', 'Fool To Cry', and 'Hot Stuff', are the definitive live versions of those songs in my opinion, even though on 'Hot Stuff', i do desperately miss Harvey Mandel's intoxicating guitar work. Those older songs, however, are far less inspiring, and perhaps the Stones do not really sound fully committed at this point (because of their lifestyle, drug issues etc). However, 1976, is still truly the Stones in rock 'n' roll mode, and an awful long way from the safe sound and format they would acquire when they planned to reunite and tour again in the late eighties. Back in 76, with all the rock 'n' roll excess and all, the Stones actually did still rock. Paris 76 does work, perhaps, best on a curiosity level, where one could really accurately gauge a taste of where the Stones were at at that particular time. Perhaps in terms of being enjoyable from a critical standpoint it is less successful some of the time, but personally i'd rather watch it than any live document from the Stones later years (1989 onwards), and even in part, the 81 tour, which i felt was equally lacking in one way or another. My view is that the highs on the Paris 76 show may actually eclipse anything on the Hampton 81 show or the official LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER film.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 28, 2011 11:50

Edward Twining
The thing about the Stones live in the seventies period was they were forever changing. One tends to think of the 76 period as the Stones becoming very tired and rather indulgent musically, and that that's just an extention of what happens when an artist begins to feel a little less fresh, and less inspired. That may very well be true, yet the Stones do actually sound quite different to how they did in the early seventies, and also different from around the 78 era, too. One can definitely see the beginnings of their 76 sound on the late 73 european tour, perhaps, thanks possibly in part to Billy Preston's involvement. Ultimately, the Stones were on an ever changing/evolving journey in the seventies, and some of their journey was far more successful/inspiring than others, but for me it was always quite interesting. To a point the 76 Paris concert does actually stand up quite well on its own terms, and especially when the Stones were performing songs from their last studio album BLACK AND BLUE. 'Hand Of Fate', 'Fool To Cry', and 'Hot Stuff', are the definitive live versions of those songs in my opinion, even though on 'Hot Stuff', i do desperately miss Harvey Mandel's intoxicating guitar work. Those older songs, however, are far less inspiring, and perhaps the Stones do not really sound fully committed at this point (because of their lifestyle, drug issues etc). However, 1976, is still truly the Stones in rock 'n' roll mode, and an awful long way from the safe sound and format they would acquire when they planned to reunite and tour again in the late eighties. Back in 76, with all the rock 'n' roll excess and all, the Stones actually did still rock. Paris 76 does work, perhaps, best on a curiosity level, where one could really accurately gauge a taste of where the Stones were at at that particular time. Perhaps in terms of being enjoyable from a critical standpoint it is less successful some of the time, but personally i'd rather watch it than any live document from the Stones later years (1989 onwards), and even in part, the 81 tour, which i felt was equally lacking in one way or another. My view is that the highs on the Paris 76 show may actually eclipse anything on the Hampton 81 show or the official LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER film.

+1

Thank you. Spot on. 1976 is still a band even though the warhorses were tired. I m not sure about a whole concert being that Paris concert Id rather have a compilation of Knebworth (although that one should be the whole concert) the love you live Paris version of HTW but that was maybe just filmen with one single camera spot - I dont know. None of the new songs that tour has ever sounded better. Billy and Ollie were crucial for those numbers. Ollie and Billy were also crucial for If you cant rock me YGM HTW BS. I love the sound of the 1975 and the different sound of 1976 but not all songs were performed like they could have. Billy and Ollie are not to blame, one would like to thank them for what they did (and listen to how they fit in perfectly with Bill and Charlie) and regret that perhaps one or two of the stars Mick Keith or Ronnie were a little bit too high or loose on some songs.

Date: December 28, 2011 12:01

hbwriter
sort of interesting

I think that is more than just sort of interesting. A real clever job of editing. Most here know what is what, still...it comes off exciting. IMO all the grainy Super 8 footage is always far more vibrant than a HD video with a bunch of cameras.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 28, 2011 12:10

Doxa
Now when we most likely have gotten officially released two of their best footages ever, covering 1972 and 1978, I think the time is now ready to get something from a bit lesser 'historical' phases. I think Paris 76 and Hampton 81 could be nice ones from those eras. If they would reproduce them with the same effort as TEXAS 78 I think it would give more attention to the unique qualities they also then had. I even believe that with great reproduced sounds, we would might hear some nuances we haven't heard before. I have the feeling that after we have now listened so much the "peak" stuff, we might have a new ear to some different eras, especially '76. The band, also then, was going through an interesting phase, and maybe they weren't so bad as we are tend to think. (I mean, we all know that Hyde Park, R&R Circus, or Marquee '71, or Knebworth 76, are 'officially crap', the band sloppy as hell, but still there is something absulutely magical in those performances; the Stones couldn't do much wrong in their heyday. They were, at least, interesting, and definiely not boring.)

Of course, I'd be thrilled if there is something totally new, unrealesed stuff at the vaults (say, of '73, or '70), but I am a bit skeptical about that. At least the whole show of Paris 76, professionally captured, exits, as does Hampton 81 as well. I can see them as profilic releases easily if handled with a care.

- Doxa

I guess it also helps if you were there. I went to 5 of the 6 Earl's Court shows and also to Knebworth and I enjoyed them immensely. I never once felt that they were sloppy. The Black and Blue material was great to see live and I think a lot of folks forget that. It was also probably the most funky the Stones ever got live.

Until 89/90 all the Stones tours were unique but after, for me, they tend to blur into one another. So yeah, I think the 76 tour is an important document in their history. Let's have it!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 28, 2011 13:26

Yes friends do blow indeed.

Don't mention that awful "sitcom" on this board again. Please. Thank You.

Date: December 28, 2011 14:25

What Keith does in this clip, the LYL version of HTW, is where I went to learn the guitar. The sounds that comes from that guitar, the way he plays, his timing.

Date: December 28, 2011 14:29

Sound sucks in this clip but remastered would be something else. Visually it doesnt get any cooler, cannot be more Stonsey than this.

Ultimate version?:

Date: December 28, 2011 14:31

Perfect.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 28, 2011 14:43

If they released something from 75/76, I would hope the Stones release edited versions of LA, Paris and Knebworth, as it was a mediocre era of patchy performances. Can't say I would be upset if they were never officially released.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 28, 2011 17:36

If MJ reads IORR, we may see the B&B / 1975-6 archives compiled. Great idea!

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: December 28, 2011 17:49

I hope, it won´t, because I really really dislike the 76-tour and most of the stuff from love you live. There´s much more better and interesting stuff in the vaults ...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 28, 2011 17:59

muenke
I hope, it won´t, because I really really dislike the 76-tour and most of the stuff from love you live. There´s much more better and interesting stuff in the vaults ...

i thought we put this one to bed yesterday. sigh. i will redouble my effort today. i owe it to the stones community as a quality assurance service...

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: December 28, 2011 18:37

StonesTod
muenke

i thought we put this one to bed yesterday. sigh. i will redouble my effort today. i owe it to the stones community as a quality assurance service...

You don´t get cynical, tod, aren´t you? cool smiley

Date: December 28, 2011 18:39

muenke
StonesTod
muenke

not often, but sometimes when i press my palms tightly to my forehead i get a bit conical...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 28, 2011 19:57

StonesTod
muenke
StonesTod
muenke

not often, but sometimes when i press my palms tightly to my forehead i get a bit conical...

As opposed to "comical"?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 28, 2011 20:40

Honestman
I agreed to say that 1975 has best shows than 1976, but I like the Paris 1976 shows, for two reasons.
The first one , it has been shot by Freddy Hausser
a very kind and cool guy who loved the STONES until they became unapprochable (R.I.P Freddy ),
the second reason is a cheap one, but don't most of you (I mean the non native english people) like when Mick speak in your language in between songs ???
That's all and that's it winking smiley

smileys with beer

Jagger at his best -classy & hot -

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: December 28, 2011 20:54

yes I like it when Mick comes to : "yeah this low down bitchin'...

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 28, 2011 21:24

I myself would be very surprised to see anything officially released from the 75/76 tour for many of the reasons sited previously. Would Mick Jagger ok archived releases of performances from this time period which might detract from their legacy? Hard to tell. It is difficult for me to get past Jagger's singing style during the mid 1970's and several of the audio boots that I have heard during 75/76 period sound like the band is tired/bored and/or not very inspired, although this writer tends to prefer the early shows of the 75 tour as far as energy level and decent performances such as Buffalo & Toronto from 6/75. Rather than seeing these 1970's shows released (with the exception of El Mocambo from 77), my preference would be a soundboard quality show from the little documentated 1970 tour or a complete 69 show either Detroit or MSG (which is probably just a fantasy given the recently expanded edition of Ya Yas).

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 29, 2011 03:22

I hope so.

>but love you live already captures the paris shows...

Not visually -- "DVD" is the subject.

Date: December 29, 2011 03:45

We already have Love You Live. It's a mediocrity at best. The only valuable side was the El Mocambo stuff. I'd love to get the whole Mocambo show instead of '76 shows. In fact, unless they didn't record the entire shows, I still can't understand why they just didn't release a whole album of El Mocambo performances rather than limit it to one side and have three rather tired sides of '76 and '75. The difference between the feel of the different parts of the album is quite striking.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 29, 2011 03:51

Again, the subject is DVD -- El Mocambo was not filmed afaik.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: December 29, 2011 17:52

Freddy Hausser filmed this. He was a true Stones fan. Died in 2008.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: December 29, 2011 17:53

Glam Descendant

subjects are subject to change without prior written notification

Date: December 29, 2011 18:54

toomuchforme
Freddy Hausser filmed this. He was a true Stones fan. Died in 2008.

Pity this video has no subtitle .

[www.ina.fr]

Date: December 29, 2011 18:56

StonesTod
Glam Descendant

A still picture of Margaret Trudeau with the El Mocambo audio on a DVD would still be better than a DVD of '76 Paris.

Date: December 29, 2011 19:16

71Tele
StonesTod
Glam Descendant

A still picture of Margaret Trudeau with the El Mocambo audio on a DVD would still be better than a DVD of '76 Paris.

Still Do you mean "steal" as "stolen " pic of Margaret Trudeau at the El Mocambo ?cool smiley

[archives.cbc.ca]

Date: December 29, 2011 19:24

SwayStones
71Tele
StonesTod
Glam Descendant

Still Do you mean "steal" as "stolen " pic of Margaret Trudeau at the El Mocambo ?cool smiley

[archives.cbc.ca]

That works too.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home