Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

If you combine the Some Girls and Exile outtakes/new songs are they better than ABB?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 29, 2011 05:48

So if you were to combine the outtakes/new songs into a 2011 version of "Tattoo You" would it be better than "A Bigger Bang" or any of the other recent Stones records?

Should the Stones have just cleaned up these songs or other songs still in the vaults and maybe written a few new tunes and put it out as a "new" album in the vein of Tattoo You? I think the potential was there for a pretty solid album with songs like Plundered My Soul, So Young etc..

Re: If you combine the Some Girls and Exile outtakes/new songs are they better than ABB?
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: December 29, 2011 06:02

I really enjoy almost all the songs on the Some Girls new release. Not a bad "new album" at all. I think alot of those would be War Horse classic material if they had been released in 1978. Now days it's mostly us die hards that here them as radio isn't what it used to be....

Re: If you combine the Some Girls and Exile outtakes/new songs are they better than ABB?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2011 07:28

PMS and a couple of others from Exile deluxe, and the second Some Girls CD have certainly been a treat.

If they can continue releasing material in this high quality, I'm not interested in a new album....with that said, I wouldn't mind them giving it the 'old college try'.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: December 29, 2011 07:30

James Kirk
So if you were to combine the outtakes/new songs into a 2011 version of "Tattoo You" would it be better than "A Bigger Bang" or any of the other recent Stones records?

Should the Stones have just cleaned up these songs or other songs still in the vaults and maybe written a few new tunes and put it out as a "new" album in the vein of Tattoo You? I think the potential was there for a pretty solid album with songs like Plundered My Soul, So Young etc..

The Some Girls bonus tracks are light years ahead of ABB. It is the Stones album I have been dreaming for!

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: December 29, 2011 07:35

thewatchman
James Kirk

The Some Girls bonus tracks are light years ahead of ABB. It is the Stones album I have been dreaming for!

The Some Girls bonus tracks is a "classic" Stones album on it's own. In my humble opinion, of course.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:34

Rather than empty the vaults album by album the Stones should clean up these tracks and add a few more here and there and there could easily be "new " Stones albums for years to come.

A lot of these outtakes are quite good. In my humble opinion Plundered My Soul is the best Stones track in many years.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:55

That would be a yes.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:56

71Tele
That would be a yes.

high praise indeed

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:01

StonesTod
71Tele
That would be a yes.

high praise indeed

Well, some editing would be involved. Especially from the Exile tracks.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:07

The outtakes are outtakes. They are a great treat.
But please, keep the new music coming...songs like
Laugh I nearly died, makes it all worth while.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:15

Hell, the SG outtakes are better than the SG album!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:01

Some Girls outtakes are better than the Exile outtakes in my opinion.

However, we need to look at this in context. Bigger Bang is a good late period album, whereas Exile and Some Girls are the work of younger men; indeed, a different band in the case of Exile. The lyrics of Bigger Bang are different to Some Girls and Exile: the band are older, and more aware of their elder status.

So, while the outtakes are, in the main, top quality, they are not the current crop of Stones recordings, nor will they ever be so.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:19

thewatchman
James Kirk

I agree with you.
Let's just imagine if they using songs like 'I need you', 'Misty roads', 'Fiji jim', It's all wrong ',' Not the way to go ', 'Dancing Girls',Let's just imagine if they using songs like 'I need you', 'Misty roads', 'Fiji jim', it's all wrong ',' Not the way to go ',' Lonely at the top ', 'Chainsaw rocker', 'Separately ',' You Got It Made '.. and other hidden gems for a new album!' 'Lonely at the top ',' Separately ',' You Got It Made '...and other hidden gems for a new album!

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:50

in a word - Yes !

having said that I think the outtakes disc of Some Girls stands very well as an album on its own.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:51

I was a little bit disappointed by the new songs of Exile and a little surprised by the good quality of the Some Girls outtakes,but ABB contains better songs by far.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:52

fyp933
in a word - Yes !

having said that I think the outtakes disc of Some Girls stands very well as an album on its own.

i tried that, but it keeps falling over

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home