Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Stones in Hyde Park 2012
Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: November 22, 2011 16:12

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 08:54 by SecondSet.

Date: November 22, 2011 16:56

Glam Descendant
>And Bono's?
>He has recently suggested that U2 may be calling it quits next year.

When/where? Just curious.

Why next year? Why not now? Why not in 2013? So many questions...

Date: November 22, 2011 16:58

leteyer
Glam Descendant
Thanks.

>We'd be very pleased to end on No Line on the Horizon," he says, before acknowledging the unlikelihood of that scenario: "I doubt that."

Me too. I wonder if the dissolution of R.E.M. have made him ponder his future.

I thought they had a new album coming out.

Supposedly they've got three in the works. No matter. A new album will come out before a new Stones album. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 22, 2011 16:59

SecondSet
From the new twitter page...

rollingstones50
The Rolling Stones
The 12th July 2012 is a big date for us, do you know why?
2 hours ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

rollingstones50
The Rolling Stones
The first ever Rolling Stones gig was on the 12th July 1962. We hope you'll help us celebrate our Golden year in 2012!

TRANSLATION: Buy everything we release!

Date: November 22, 2011 17:41

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 08:55 by SecondSet.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:43

Welcome aboard, SecondSet.

I wouldn't read too much into any changes of dates for UK festivals next summer. There are two exceptional events happening: the Queen's diamond jubilee celebrations in June (with an extra bank holiday, causing the school half-term to move dates) have made the IOW festival move from its traditional second weekend in June to the 24th/25th which would then clash with HardRock Calling in its original slot, so there may be some knock-on effect. There is also the question of the Olympics in August - rumour has it that most other August events are having problems since every marquee and Portaloo in the kingdom has been booked for the Olympics, quite apart from the competition for spectators. A lot of events won't be in their usual slots in 2012.

That said, I'd love to see the Stones back in the Park, and I do hope you're right.

Date: November 23, 2011 16:23

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 08:55 by SecondSet.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 23, 2011 18:17

SecondSet
But the Diamond Jubilee is the first weekend in June, and IOW traditionally the second; how did it force a move?

And the new IOW dates would not have conflicted with HRC if the latter had maintained its usual dates the last weekend in June (which this year would have been June 29 to July 1), just before Wireless the first weekend in July (which this year is still July 6-8).

It's a conspicuous move, especially in combination with the Stones tweets that July 12, 2012 will be a significant date, the band's history in Hyde Park, and the fact that HRC is presented by Live Nation, who I've been told will present a US tour by the Stones in 2012.

I believe you are onto something. Good work.

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: November 23, 2011 22:47

No real new information but www.efestivals.co.uk which was the first website to state the stones were going to play the Isle of Wight festival have said the following-

London Live announced for Hyde Park, Victoria Park & Trafalgar Square could it host Madonna, and The Rolling Stones?
Wednesday 23rd November 2011

Event promoters Live Nation have unveiled their London Live events set to take place in London's Hyde Park, Victoria Park and Trafalgar Square from Friday 27th July until Sunday 9th September 2012.

Live Nation will stage two very special Celebration Concerts in Hyde Park to coincide with two key milestones of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the Opening Ceremony on Friday 27th July and the Closing Ceremony on Sunday 12th August. Ticket prices and headline acts for these two concerts, along with details about the rest of the London Live programme, will be announced in early 2012.

Rumours are that these acts could well be Madonna, and The Rolling Stones celebrating their 50th Anniversary, although the London Standard has just reported, (here), that Madonna is due to play Hyde Park on Wednesday 11th July.

The three open-air venues in the heart of the capital will also offer hundreds of thousands of Londoners and visitors to the city the chance to join in with the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

As well as giant state of the art screens for crowds of all ages to watch live action from the Olympic and Paralympic Games, each location will offer a variety of entertainment including live music, outdoor arts and performance, plus opportunities to try out different sports.

The Mayor of London, The Royal Parks, the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and Live Nation have teamed up to create the event which will allow attendees to watch outdoor screenings of the 2012 sporting action alongside free live entertainment. Full details will be announced shortly and the official website - www.londonlive.uk.com - is launched today for people to register their interest.

John Probyn, COO of Live Nation, said "We have a great pedigree of delivering fantastic open air events in Hyde Park and are excited to be working on delivering the same quality events in Victoria Park and Trafalgar Square for Londoners and visitors to the capital for the London 2012 Games. Our aim is to deliver one of London's biggest Olympic celebrations."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2011 22:52

Not gonna happen. Too many other big names competing at the same venue in the same week.

And no way would they start a tour after a five year break with a show on that scale in front of a tv audience.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 23, 2011 22:56

SecondSet
But the Diamond Jubilee is the first weekend in June, and IOW traditionally the second; how did it force a move?

And the new IOW dates would not have conflicted with HRC if the latter had maintained its usual dates the last weekend in June (which this year would have been June 29 to July 1), just before Wireless the first weekend in July (which this year is still July 6-8).

It's a conspicuous move, especially in combination with the Stones tweets that July 12, 2012 will be a significant date, the band's history in Hyde Park, and the fact that HRC is presented by Live Nation, who I've been told will present a US tour by the Stones in 2012.

According to the IOW organisers, the problem is basically that the school half term holiday has also moved, and as the IOW is a popular holiday destination there just wouldn't be the capacity on the ferries to carry both sets of traffic in the same week (remember that most of the IOW setup takes place in the preceding week and most of it has to come by ferry...) That's their story and they're sticking to it. I just hope that by adopting Glastonbury's traditional date they don't inherit Glastonbury's traditional weather.

Date: November 24, 2011 16:27

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 08:58 by SecondSet.

Date: November 24, 2011 16:31

ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 08:57 by SecondSet.

Date: December 3, 2011 14:50

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 08:57 by SecondSet.

Date: December 14, 2011 21:07

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 08:58 by SecondSet.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: December 14, 2011 22:00

Sometimes hotels are more expensive if something happens near.

The Sheraton Park Lane (Hyde Park sight) room rates are twice as much as usual for the weekend of July 12. But that can be because of rumours.. Madonna or whoelse.. I don't know, but the higher prices are fact.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 15, 2011 01:33

SecondSet
Gazza
Not gonna happen. Too many other big names competing at the same venue in the same week.

So it's another Gazza who's predicting it will happen on efestivals? [www.efestivals.co.uk]

Correct. Its hardly an unusual nickname, lets face it.

And give me some credit - the guy youre attributing as me didnt even know about the Stones 50th anniversary.....!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-15 01:35 by Gazza.

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: December 15, 2011 04:12

For me it makes perfectly sense the Stones could headline HRF on Sunday to celebrate their 50th.. nothing to do with a possible tour.. no own stage.. no one bashing them they are not doing anything.. very close to the actual 50 yr date.. close to home.. I'd be in!

Can I still get Springsteen tickets as well?? tongue sticking out smiley

Date: January 13, 2012 20:35

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 09:08 by SecondSet.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 13, 2012 22:38

Hard Rock Calling Sounds @#$%& good to me. Being a real rock kinda guy. Like the idea. Do it man
\m/

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: January 14, 2012 02:09

Hyde Park, I dunno but don't think so too many people. I would like to see some big stadium shows in Canada and US in August. Canada how bout Toronto at the CNE Exhibition that is the 19th Aug to Sept 5th. They havent played that venue since Aug 94. So Mich how bout it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-14 02:12 by tipps.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: January 14, 2012 02:13

They did Hyde Park in 1969. No reason to play there again

Date: January 23, 2012 14:46

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 09:07 by SecondSet.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 23, 2012 16:01

Did someone really suggest Van Halen could headline Hyde Park ???

Come off it. They've never been big in the UK. I'd be amazed if they could fill an arena. They could possibly get away with headling a night at a festival such as Sonisphere, because thats a guaranteed crowd whoever plays.

I just can't see the Stones doing a big outdoor gig without their own production. AC/DC did Donington (Download) a few years ago but they took their own set. Stage, PA, Lights the whole shebang. Set it up next to the festival stage and took it down the next day.

For such a big one off 50th doo, Could you really see the Stones doing it so low key on a festival stage ?

Nah,

Date: January 23, 2012 16:25

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 09:06 by SecondSet.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 23, 2012 16:25

no, probably a club gig on July 12
jeroen

Date: January 23, 2012 16:26

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 09:06 by SecondSet.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 23, 2012 16:52

okay, maybe you are right....
jeroen

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 23, 2012 17:01

SecondSet
Do they really draw a smaller audience than Rod Stewart, last year's Sunday headliner?

I doubt Van Halen could even sell out a medium sized indoor arena, they have never been that popular here.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 23, 2012 20:07

Fact remains we still don't know s..t

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home