Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657Next
Current Page: 55 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 3, 2023 17:53

Hairball
Nice work Mr. Jimi. thumbs up

In my neck of the woods in the greater SoCal/Los Angeles area between '73-'77, Led Zeppelin were indeed far more popular and superior than the Rolling Stones.
I'd even give Led Zeppelin the advantage in 1971 due to the dominating Led Zeppelin IV - Stairway to Heaven must have been played 24/7 on radio stations everywhere.
In the big picture though, the Stones prevail mainly due to their longevity, and their early years prior ro Led Zeppelin even forming.

Would be interesting to read your take on the Beatles vs. Stones in the years 1963-1970 - guaranteed to cause a ruckus no doubt! smiling smiley

I had to point this out to a Led Zeppelin fan. His argument was Zeppelin put out more good music in the 70s ( his opinion ) so they were the greater band.I ask him at what point had Zeppelin put out more good music career wise than The Rolling Stones. I asked him dates. 1971? Nope not even close which he agreed with. 1975? Nope not even close.
He started to get it. You just have to be patient with them.

It’s the same with touring. Zeppelin was never a bigger touring band than the Stones ( all Zep heads claim they were ) and they can’t believe that because Zeppelin was so hit in the 70s. They usually say yeah but everyone Zi went to school with liked Zeppelin better. You always have to remind them that Stones had millions of fans from the 60s who would have no interest in seeing Zeppelin. Again patience is the key.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: September 3, 2023 20:28

lem motlow
Mr. Jimi
I wrote this in a Led Zeppelin forum a couple of years ago and some people freaked out.

Led Zeppelin wins head to head (year to year), however . . .

Let's first compare each year of their shared existence, not count 1968, and we will return to the "however".

I know its silly and rather impossible to say anything is better than anything else when it comes to music and/or art, but what the heck lets have some fun.

1969. WINNER- Rolling Stones.

Even though Zeppelin released 2 albums and toured extensively, the Stones were in the midst of a 4 year run that created their myth and solidified their legend and popularity with the public as a whole, not just the rock music scene. From 1968 to 1972, they released Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St. In 1969 Brain Jones died, they played the free concert at Hyde Park, they embarked upon the infamous 1969 tour and of course Altamont happened. The Stones were beloved by the rock press and began to entrench themselves into the public collective consciousness. They were already a famous pop group for the previous 5 years but by 1969 they became a mature rock band and seemingly alone at the pantheon of rock music. The Beatles were disintegrating and Dylan was in exile. Zeppelin was building its following and creating their own myth and legend, but 1969 goes to the Rolling Stones. RS 1, LZ 0

1970. WINNER- Rolling Stones.

Stones released Get yer ya ya's Out, toured Europe, and released the film, Gimme Shelter. The film and the Altamont press solidified the Stones as a dangerous band in the public's eye and they became even more famous for it. Zeppelin III was released, LZ toured extensively and by the fall of 1970 the rock scene was definitely taking notice. Their following was increasing and so were album sales mostly from the first two albums. They were growing as a band, but alas 1970 goes to the Stones. RS 2, LZ 0

1971. WINNER- Rolling Stones.

This was the most difficult year to judge. Zeppelin's fourth album is iconic, but it had yet to catch on. Zeppelin's touring almost gives them the advantage but the release of the iconic Sticky Fingers, album art, the tongue logo, number 1 single, Mick's marriage to Bianca and the start of the jet setting celebrity life style, etc gives the edge to the Stones. RS 3, LZ 0

1972. WINNER- Rolling Stones.

Another tough year. Zeppelin's music is now starting to trickle down to the high schoolers, as all rock music had started to do. Zeppelin offered the kids blues, rock, myth, and mystery. Their 1972 tour was well received but it was eclipsed by the Stones 1972 tour. The Stones released Exile on Main St. Their touring band which included Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys, and Jim Price, had become as tight as it ever was going to get. The Stones 1972 tour was glorified by the rock press and they became media darlings. Their celebrity continued to cross over into the public consciousness. Mick Jagger may have been one of the most famous people in the world at that point. RS 4, LZ 0

1973. WINNER- Led Zeppelin.

The 1973 tour propelled Zeppelin into the upper echelons of Rock acts. The Rock press started to come around and the public at large started to take notice of the band for its fan following, album sales, and concert attendance records, etc. The Stones dropped a notch with the release of Goats Head Soup even though they had a number 1 single. They toured Australia and Europe. It was the last year Mick Taylor played lead guitar. The last year of a touring band line up (1970-1973) that created a sound that defined their careers. RS 4, LZ 1

1974. WINNER- Led Zeppelin.

Neither band did much. The Stones released Its Only Rock n roll another step back from their golden run of 1968 to 1972. Taylor left the Stones and they scrambled to find a replacement. Both bands recorded and neither band toured. The Stones popularity amongst the youth began to wain, while Zeppelin continued to increase, so Zeppelin gets the nod. Also did Keith turn Jimmy on to heroin in 1974? Yeah, thanks Keith, what an assh**e. RS 4, LZ 2

1975. WINNER- Led Zeppelin.

Zeppelin's music had by now engulfed teenage life. At least in most of America, Led Zeppelin would be entrenched in the High School experience for the next 15 to 20 years. Although they only toured America in the spring and finished the touring year at the legendary Eals Court shows in May, the shear weight of Physical Graffiti propelled them into the stratosphere in the rock scene. The Stones released a compilation album and toured America in the summer. It was a huge tour but again Physical Graffiti pushes the scales on this year. 1975 belongs to Led Zeppelin. RS 4, LZ 3

1976. WINNER- Led Zeppelin.

The Stones Released Black and Blue, a commercial flop and toured Europe. Zeppelin's release of Presence did not fair well. Robert was in recovery so Zeppelin didn't tour. The release, however, of the film Song Remains the Same pushes Zeppelin's popularity with the rock scene and public at large. 1976 goes to Zeppelin. RS 4, LZ 4

1977. WINNER- Led Zeppelin.

Keith famously got busted in Toronto and suddenly the future of the Stones was in doubt. They release Love you Live to mixed reviews and established NYC as home. The growing punk scene declares them as dinosaurs. The other dinosaur in the room, Zeppelin, embarked on their largest US tour. Robert goes into mourning. The massive 1977 tour gives this year to Zeppelin. RS 4, LZ 5

1978. WINNER- Rolling stones.

While the Robert mourned, Led zeppelin's future was in doubt. The Stones released Some Girls, one of their best selling albums, release their last number 1 single and embark on a short summer stadium tour with Keith's future in doubt from the Toronto bust. RS 5, LZ 5

1979. WINNER- Led Zeppelin.

While the Stones recorded Emotional Rescue, Zeppelin released In through the out door and played the Knebworth comeback shows. Zeppelin wins the year as the Stones take a year off. RS 5, LZ 6

1980. DRAW

Stones release Emotional Rescue, which is a commercial flop and a step back from Some Girls, they do not tour. Zeppelin tours Europe and plans the ill-fated tour of America. John dies, and Zeppelin is no more. I cannot give this year to either band. RS 5, LZ 6, Draw 1.

Led Zeppelin wins the head to head battle, but, now here is the HOWEVER from the beginning; The Rolling Stones I believe win out for their entire career and because of their stardom. Let's face it, even the mighty Zeppelin in their prime cannot not compete with the celebrity that was Mick Jagger. The Stones were on a different level of celebrity. I once asked my mother in-law if she knew who Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin were and she had no idea who I was talking about. I asked her if she knew who the Rolling Stones were and she said of course. She even mentioned Mick Jagger and how she disliked him- Ha. Same answers from my 93 year old dad. The Stones were cultural icons even before Zeppelin came on the scene. The Stones continued career propel them over Zeppelin in the rock world and the public at large in the long run, but head to head our Zeppelin wins out . . . any thoughts?

This post is a thing of beauty,it’s one of the top 5 posts I’ve ever seen involving rock and roll on the internet.
When I flip the fck out on some kid born in 1985 trying to explain Led Zeppelin to me and BV is deciding whether to bounce me from his website at least I’ll go away knowing there’s still someone who was there and can tell the real story.
It’s funny you mention getting crap from a Zep fansite, those guys are merciless,I think some of these Stones fans would need a safe space,a warm blanket and a positive reinforcement speech after an encounter with them.

Ha. Thanks Lem. Most of us could probably do the same analysis, maybe different conclusions, because most us know the history of rock music and pop culture, etc. Some of the LZ forum guys were actually interested in some sort of conversation and debate but others defaulted to LZ could do anything the Stones and Beatles ever did, which is just pointless to even respond to.

Since we are on this thread and most of us are fans of both bands, it would be fun comparing years, you should give it a go. It's fun.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 3, 2023 22:57

Weird to read 70 year old men crying about this.

That said Led Zeppelin had one of the best 8 or 9 album runs (Presence is my fave and love ITTOD)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2023 04:26

Mr. Jimi
I wrote this in a Led Zeppelin forum a couple of years ago and some people freaked out.

Let's first compare each year of their shared existence, not count 1968, and we will return to the "however".

I know its silly and rather impossible to say anything is better than anything else when it comes to music and/or art, but what the heck lets have some fun.

Even though Zeppelin released 2 albums and toured extensively, the Stones were in the midst of a 4 year run that created their myth and solidified their legend and popularity with the public as a whole, not just the rock music scene. From 1968 to 1972, they released Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St. In 1969 Brain Jones died, they played the free concert at Hyde Park, they embarked upon the infamous 1969 tour and of course Altamont happened. The Stones were beloved by the rock press and began to entrench themselves into the public collective consciousness. They were already a famous pop group for the previous 5 years but by 1969 they became a mature rock band and seemingly alone at the pantheon of rock music. The Beatles were disintegrating and Dylan was in exile. Zeppelin was building its following and creating their own myth and legend, but 1969 goes to the Rolling Stones. RS 1, LZ 0

Stones released Get yer ya ya's Out, toured Europe, and released the film, Gimme Shelter. The film and the Altamont press solidified the Stones as a dangerous band in the public's eye and they became even more famous for it. Zeppelin III was released, LZ toured extensively and by the fall of 1970 the rock scene was definitely taking notice. Their following was increasing and so were album sales mostly from the first two albums. They were growing as a band, but alas 1970 goes to the Stones. RS 2, LZ 0

This was the most difficult year to judge. Zeppelin's fourth album is iconic, but it had yet to catch on. Zeppelin's touring almost gives them the advantage but the release of the iconic Sticky Fingers, album art, the tongue logo, number 1 single, Mick's marriage to Bianca and the start of the jet setting celebrity life style, etc gives the edge to the Stones. RS 3, LZ 0

Another tough year. Zeppelin's music is now starting to trickle down to the high schoolers, as all rock music had started to do. Zeppelin offered the kids blues, rock, myth, and mystery. Their 1972 tour was well received but it was eclipsed by the Stones 1972 tour. The Stones released Exile on Main St. Their touring band which included Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys, and Jim Price, had become as tight as it ever was going to get. The Stones 1972 tour was glorified by the rock press and they became media darlings. Their celebrity continued to cross over into the public consciousness. Mick Jagger may have been one of the most famous people in the world at that point. RS 4, LZ 0

The 1973 tour propelled Zeppelin into the upper echelons of Rock acts. The Rock press started to come around and the public at large started to take notice of the band for its fan following, album sales, and concert attendance records, etc. The Stones dropped a notch with the release of Goats Head Soup even though they had a number 1 single. They toured Australia and Europe. It was the last year Mick Taylor played lead guitar. The last year of a touring band line up (1970-1973) that created a sound that defined their careers. RS 4, LZ 1

Neither band did much. The Stones released Its Only Rock n roll another step back from their golden run of 1968 to 1972. Taylor left the Stones and they scrambled to find a replacement. Both bands recorded and neither band toured. The Stones popularity amongst the youth began to wain, while Zeppelin continued to increase, so Zeppelin gets the nod. Also did Keith turn Jimmy on to heroin in 1974? Yeah, thanks Keith, what an assh**e. RS 4, LZ 2

Zeppelin's music had by now engulfed teenage life. At least in most of America, Led Zeppelin would be entrenched in the High School experience for the next 15 to 20 years. Although they only toured America in the spring and finished the touring year at the legendary Eals Court shows in May, the shear weight of Physical Graffiti propelled them into the stratosphere in the rock scene. The Stones released a compilation album and toured America in the summer. It was a huge tour but again Physical Graffiti pushes the scales on this year. 1975 belongs to Led Zeppelin. RS 4, LZ 3

The Stones Released Black and Blue, a commercial flop and toured Europe. Zeppelin's release of Presence did not fair well. Robert was in recovery so Zeppelin didn't tour. The release, however, of the film Song Remains the Same pushes Zeppelin's popularity with the rock scene and public at large. 1976 goes to Zeppelin. RS 4, LZ 4

Keith famously got busted in Toronto and suddenly the future of the Stones was in doubt. They release Love you Live to mixed reviews and established NYC as home. The growing punk scene declares them as dinosaurs. The other dinosaur in the room, Zeppelin, embarked on their largest US tour. Robert goes into mourning. The massive 1977 tour gives this year to Zeppelin. RS 4, LZ 5

While the Robert mourned, Led zeppelin's future was in doubt. The Stones released Some Girls, one of their best selling albums, release their last number 1 single and embark on a short summer stadium tour with Keith's future in doubt from the Toronto bust. RS 5, LZ 5

While the Stones recorded Emotional Rescue, Zeppelin released In through the out door and played the Knebworth comeback shows. Zeppelin wins the year as the Stones take a year off. RS 5, LZ 6

1980. DRAW

Stones release Emotional Rescue, which is a commercial flop and a step back from Some Girls, they do not tour. Zeppelin tours Europe and plans the ill-fated tour of America. John dies, and Zeppelin is no more. I cannot give this year to either band. RS 5, LZ 6, Draw 1.

Led Zeppelin wins the head to head battle, but, now here is the HOWEVER from the beginning; The Rolling Stones I believe win out for their entire career and because of their stardom. Let's face it, even the mighty Zeppelin in their prime cannot not compete with the celebrity that was Mick Jagger. The Stones were on a different level of celebrity. I once asked my mother in-law if she knew who Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin were and she had no idea who I was talking about. I asked her if she knew who the Rolling Stones were and she said of course. She even mentioned Mick Jagger and how she disliked him- Ha. Same answers from my 93 year old dad. The Stones were cultural icons even before Zeppelin came on the scene. The Stones continued career propel them over Zeppelin in the rock world and the public at large in the long run, but head to head our Zeppelin wins out . . . any thoughts?

When you say "flop" in regard to the Stones albums at the time, could you give some more detail? Because... you're wrong.

Nothing against Led Zeppelin.

Just not sure how you equate a #1 album as being a flop... each time.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 4, 2023 10:33

Of course he’s wrong gaslight, but the whole point is he’s inviting you into a conversation.
Why do you think I was complimenting him because I’m so sweet and nice to everyone?
Btw stop trying to fight with me all the time. It’s not happening,you let something slip about yourself that hit home with me and if you think I’m ever gonna add to that level of pain you’re talking to the wrong dude.

Date: September 4, 2023 10:46

I believe he meant to say that ER was a "flop" compared to SG, sales-wise. I might be wrong, though.

Album sales is where LZ beat the Stones, btw. Even In Through The Out Door sold more than all of the Stones's studio albums, except for SG.

Two great bands, though, enjoy both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 10:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 11:11

Rolling Stone magazine described LZ as "the heaviest band of all time", "the biggest band of the Seventies", and "unquestionably one of the most enduring bands in rock history".

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 4, 2023 11:46

To get real for a second- if you never saw Led Zeppelin live you can’t even imagine what is was like.
I saw Metallica open for GnR back in the 90s and I actually started laughing. These little guys were trying so hard.

Do you have a train track near your house? I want you to go as close to it as humanly possible and stand there when the next freighter comes through. Your hair will blow back, your chest will be pounding. That’s what ZEP was, you can’t be loud or have attitude to bring that -it’s a combination of evil and talent.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 12:05

Both are great bands.

Led Zeppelin undoubtably the greatest of their genre.

The Stones likewise.

But The Stones ARE the greatest band ever, full stop.

Record sales don’t really cut it for me in the “Greatest” stakes, otherwise songs like Rubber Duckie make Ernie one of the great recording artists. Like Barry Blue who had a big hit with Dancing on a Saturday Night in the early 70s. Monster hits, big sales, both. That does not make the artists who had the hits great artists.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 12:10 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 4, 2023 12:17

lem motlow
To get real for a second- if you never saw Led Zeppelin live you can’t even imagine what is was like.
I saw Metallica open for GnR back in the 90s and I actually started laughing. These little guys were trying so hard.

Do you have a train track near your house? I want you to go as close to it as humanly possible and stand there when the next freighter comes through. Your hair will blow back, your chest will be pounding. That’s what ZEP was, you can’t be loud or have attitude to bring that -it’s a combination of evil and talent.

Yep. Saw Led Zeppelin at Subiaco Oval in PERTH on February 16, 1972. From 4th row on the grass. Before the show my mate and I could not believe the amount of amps on stage and on the edges of the stage. And they were LOUD. For a 3 piece instrumentalist band with another instrumentalist (Robert Plant) using just his voice, they were simply sensational. EXPLOSIVE. No other band of their ilk had ever come remotely close. I actually taped the show using a little Phillips cassette recorder. So loud were Zep, the 2 tapes were recorded with so much distortion they were unlistenable. The START of the loudness wars on recordings?? ????

Yet seeing The Stones on February 24,1973 at the WACA in PERTH, it was instantly clear to me the better band was/is The Rolling Stones.

Rod

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-04 12:19 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 4, 2023 17:52

DandelionPowderman
I believe he meant to say that ER was a "flop" compared to SG, sales-wise. I might be wrong, though.

Album sales is where LZ beat the Stones, btw. Even In Through The Out Door sold more than all of the Stones's studio albums, except for SG.

Mick Jagger was perplexed that In Through the Out Door sold so much. He didn’t like the album.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 4, 2023 19:16

stanlove
DandelionPowderman

Mick Jagger was perplexed that In Through the Out Door sold so much. He didn’t like the album.
And he's not wrong. Zeppelin took a massive dip after Physical Graffiti. Some would probably even say Houses Of The Holy. To me, Physical is great, but they could have saved some of those songs to release yet another album afterwards. Cause IMO, Presence is terrible. It is saved by Achilles and Nobody's Fault, but the rest is garbage. They should have filled that out with Physical Graffiti leftovers, or not written an album and just do Physical Graffiti 2 with stuff they held back and made Physical a single album. In Through The Out Door I think has aged more gracefully than when it first came out. I like everything but Caroseulambra nowadays, but I can also understand that when it came out, and even on its face, its a poor effort. There's nothing that DESTROYS on it, and it does sound like them floundering. I appreciate it more since Bonzo's death and just to enjoy that we even got that as the true last thing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2023 19:25

RollingFreak
stanlove
DandelionPowderman

And he's not wrong. Zeppelin took a massive dip after Physical Graffiti. Some would probably even say Houses Of The Holy. To me, Physical is great, but they could have saved some of those songs to release yet another album afterwards. Cause IMO, Presence is terrible. It is saved by Achilles and Nobody's Fault, but the rest is garbage. They should have filled that out with Physical Graffiti leftovers, or not written an album and just do Physical Graffiti 2 with stuff they held back and made Physical a single album. In Through The Out Door I think has aged more gracefully than when it first came out. I like everything but Caroseulambra nowadays, but I can also understand that when it came out, and even on its face, its a poor effort. There's nothing that DESTROYS on it, and it does sound like them floundering. I appreciate it more since Bonzo's death and just to enjoy that we even got that as the true last thing.

In The Evening and Fool In The Rain are top shelf tracks. The rest of the album isn't bad per se. Hot Dog is a bit of a novelty like Short & Curlies, maybe a bit better.

The single, All My Love was great when it first came out but I don't think has aged well and is a bit maudlin. I know it was Robert's ode to his recently deceased son so I could totally get where that emotion came from.

All in all not a bad album, Zeppelin's "Black and Blue".

Date: September 4, 2023 19:40

treaclefingers
RollingFreak
stanlove
DandelionPowderman

In The Evening and Fool In The Rain are top shelf tracks. The rest of the album isn't bad per se. Hot Dog is a bit of a novelty like Short & Curlies, maybe a bit better.

The single, All My Love was great when it first came out but I don't think has aged well and is a bit maudlin. I know it was Robert's ode to his recently deceased son so I could totally get where that emotion came from.

I think its much better than Black And Blue. Again, I really like In Through The Out Door, but it doesn't even hold a candle to what came before it.

In The Evening: fine song, I like it a lot, but I also get the argument that its kinda poor compared to their other rockers. I wouldn't be asking for it in their reunion concert, let's just say. Even though its good I feel like you could tell they were running out of gas.

South Bound Saurez: great song, but again if you like Zeppelin, or actually don't like Zeppelin, its a weird addition to their catalogue.

Fool In The Rain: very good song, but again, its weird. I wouldn't question why someone wouldn't like it, similar to South Bound, but its a solid track.

Hot Dog: Fine novelty. I like it, but you see the pattern. I wouldn't question someone not enjoying.

Caroseul is horrible, All My Love is fine but maudlin, and I'm Gonna Crawl is probably the best track on the album but again, nothing I'd write home about to a nonfan.

I can't say this stuff about anything from Zep 1 to Physical Graffiti. It was a good return after Presence IMO, but it works better in retrospect and knowing they didn't do anything else. Its a collection of weird tracks that I really like but without a doubt its only topping Presence in my Zep rankings and I wouldn't question someone at all for not liking the album. There aren't songs I'd show people and say "this is unequivocally great." Its an album I could talk a lot about with hardcore Zep fans.

Date: September 4, 2023 19:57

RollingFreak
treaclefingers
RollingFreak
stanlove
DandelionPowderman

I think its much better than Black And Blue. Again, I really like In Through The Out Door, but it doesn't even hold a candle to what came before it.

In The Evening: fine song, I like it a lot, but I also get the argument that its kinda poor compared to their other rockers. I wouldn't be asking for it in their reunion concert, let's just say. Even though its good I feel like you could tell they were running out of gas.

South Bound Saurez: great song, but again if you like Zeppelin, or actually don't like Zeppelin, its a weird addition to their catalogue.

Fool In The Rain: very good song, but again, its weird. I wouldn't question why someone wouldn't like it, similar to South Bound, but its a solid track.

Hot Dog: Fine novelty. I like it, but you see the pattern. I wouldn't question someone not enjoying.

Caroseul is horrible, All My Love is fine but maudlin, and I'm Gonna Crawl is probably the best track on the album but again, nothing I'd write home about to a nonfan.

I can't say this stuff about anything from Zep 1 to Physical Graffiti. It was a good return after Presence IMO, but it works better in retrospect and knowing they didn't do anything else. Its a collection of weird tracks that I really like but without a doubt its only topping Presence in my Zep rankings and I wouldn't question someone at all for not liking the album. There aren't songs I'd show people and say "this is unequivocally great." Its an album I could talk a lot about with hardcore Zep fans.

OK...I think we mostly agree on this.

Here's a question, how would you rate In Through The Out Door compared to Robert Plant's first solo album, Pictures At Eleven?

Date: September 4, 2023 20:15

I've never listened to Pictures At 11. So thats where it ranks lol.

I never sought out much of their post Zeppelin work. Robert had some decent singles, but overall I wasn't a big fan of what I heard. Jimmy was a lot of wasted time, with Coverdale/Page being something only recently that I've revisited and, with some editing down, is a pretty decent album. But I also already like David Coverdale which is probably pretty necessary. I also liked Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes.

Overall, I think In Through The Out Door is a strong album, but it almost sounds like a different band. For a hardcore Zep fan, I think its a fine conclusion, but its also such a far cry from Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love or that stuff that I get it can seem like a steep decline. I'm only ever recommending it for completists. Its not Some Girls to me which, if you're going through the Stones discography, I think is on that high second tier of "if you make it through the golden years, it would behoove you to seek it out."

Date: September 4, 2023 21:22

I can't stand Hot Dog, but there a few good songs that grew on me on ITTOD.

Date: September 4, 2023 22:58

RollingFreak
I've never listened to Pictures At 11. So thats where it ranks lol.

I never sought out much of their post Zeppelin work. Robert had some decent singles, but overall I wasn't a big fan of what I heard. Jimmy was a lot of wasted time, with Coverdale/Page being something only recently that I've revisited and, with some editing down, is a pretty decent album. But I also already like David Coverdale which is probably pretty necessary. I also liked Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes.

Overall, I think In Through The Out Door is a strong album, but it almost sounds like a different band. For a hardcore Zep fan, I think its a fine conclusion, but its also such a far cry from Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love or that stuff that I get it can seem like a steep decline. I'm only ever recommending it for completists. Its not Some Girls to me which, if you're going through the Stones discography, I think is on that high second tier of "if you make it through the golden years, it would behoove you to seek it out."

Pictures at Eleven is a great album, but not really a breakthrough for him as a solo artist. Principle of Moments a year later had the single, "Big Log" which was pretty good. He really broke out with Now and Zen in 1989.

I'd say his solo material far outpaced what Page did, Band of Joy album in 2010 was excellent and the Allison Krauss collaboration really broadened his audience.

His move from a massive band to an established solo career was probably only bettered by Paul McCartney, but McCartney was really only interesting in the 70s.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: September 5, 2023 00:14

GasLightStreet
Mr. Jimi

1980. DRAW

When you say "flop" in regard to the Stones albums at the time, could you give some more detail? Because... you're wrong.

Damn gaslight, you sound like my wife. Yes I get it ER was a number 1 album and so was every studio album from Sticky Fingers to Undercover (I think) but that doesn't mean we are putting ER in the same class as Sticky Fingers for example. I love ER in fact I love every single Stones record up through Undercover. Each one to use the cliche is like a child with its own charm, etc. Perhaps "flop" was to harsh a term, I was simply trying to point out that looking at it in historical perspective it was a notch below Some Girls, either artistically, sales wise, reception, etc. And again this post was something i wrote a couple years ago in a LZ forum, and man did people go a little crazy. All in all just a little fun, not scientific, not backed with stats, more feel,
just a barroom type talk, like saying Tom Brady is the greatest, etc.

Date: September 5, 2023 00:19

Mr. Jimi
GasLightStreet
Mr. Jimi

1980. DRAW

Damn gaslight, you sound like my wife. Yes I get it ER was a number 1 album and so was every studio album from Sticky Fingers to Undercover (I think) but that doesn't mean we are putting ER in the same class as Sticky Fingers for example. I love ER in fact I love every single Stones record up through Undercover. Each one to use the cliche is like a child with its own charm, etc. Perhaps "flop" was to harsh a term, I was simply trying to point out that looking at it in historical perspective it was a notch below Some Girls, either artistically, sales wise, reception, etc. And again this post was something i wrote a couple years ago in a LZ forum, and man did people go a little crazy. All in all just a little fun, not scientific, not backed with stats, more feel,

Emotional Rescue is the greatest!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 5, 2023 04:46

I agree with Mr. Jimi’s observations overall except 1970.
In June of that year, Led Zeppelin played the now legendary Bath Festival in front of an audience of over 150,000, which cemented the group’s status in their home turf. And in September, they toppled The Beatles in the most popular group category of the Melody Maker’s annual readers poll, where the Fab Four had reigned for eight years. Enough achievements to make them the winner against the Stones.

However, one realm where the Stones unquestionably beat Zep is their longevity. Led Zeppelin existed between 1968 and 1980 — 12 years. The Rolling Stones started in 1962 and still rolling today, 61 years and counting. In a long term, the Stones win.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-05 05:58 by RisingStone.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:45

Mr. Jimi
GasLightStreet

LOL woah! Come on, it's not that bad. It was just a simple question. Their second to last #1 album, too, TY was their last one.

Just from looking at Zep's 1972 NA tour and the Stones 1972 NA tour and then the same for 1973 in EU etc... the Stones played a hell of a lot more shows!

Charlie blamed Zep for the 2 hour shows the Stones do, whenever that started.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 23, 2023 00:30

“Robert Plant performed ‘Stairway To Heaven’ solo for the first time”

[ledzepnews.com]

OT: Jimmy Page is back!
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 4, 2023 23:17

From the RocknRoll Hall of Fame induction show in Bklyn last night.

Jimmy played the tribute to Link Wray.

[www.instagram.com]

Re: OT: Jimmy Page is back!
Date: November 5, 2023 01:20

Love Jimmy and there's always gonna be an element of his life that feels like it was so much wasted time. At least since 2000 for the most part. He had The Firm after Zep, then a solo album, then Coverdale/Page, then Page & Plant and then played with the Black Crowes, but pretty much disappeared off the face of the planet after that with the exception of the Zep reunion. He's clearly still got the chops (there's some great videos of him playing with Jeff Beck and Roy Harper and Donovan over those 20 years) but largely has holed himself up in his mansion remastering Zep. I wish he did more stuff like this.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: November 5, 2023 06:17

RollingFreak
Love Jimmy and there's always gonna be an element of his life that feels like it was so much wasted time.

I reckon he has used his time well monetising the LZ legacy (pretty much like ABBA's Benny Andersson), pursuing his charity activities and enjoying quality time with his young wife. I sense no bitterness or regrets in recent interviews he has given, quite on contrary that man is apparently very much at ease with himself.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: November 5, 2023 06:56

Tantekäthe
RollingFreak
Love Jimmy and there's always gonna be an element of his life that feels like it was so much wasted time.

I reckon he has used his time well monetising the LZ legacy (pretty much like ABBA's Benny Andersson), pursuing his charity activities and enjoying quality time with his young wife. I sense no bitterness or regrets in recent interviews he has given, quite on contrary that man is apparently very much at ease with himself.

I might add that I am not fond of his 80s/90s output anyway, with the exception of his support to the Black Crowes. Him teaming up with David Coverdale was close to travesty (maybe a midlife crisis thing?), whereas his (unspectacular) collaborations with Robert Plant made at least some sense (they will remain tied to each other anyway for the rest of their lives in one way or another). During that period they even seemed to share their hairdresser, because they both were definitely 10-15 yrs late with those Mötley Crüe style haircuts (midlife crisis again?).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2023 08:58

Where's he been ????
Around at Scarlet's pad ?????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 5, 2023 09:08

Tantekäthe
RollingFreak

He’s also busied himself in feuding with his neighbour, Robbie Williams. Williams’ desire to build a gym(?) in his basement, upset Page, whom strongly feels that it could harm the structure of his own property. There’s news interviews with Page all about this on YouTube.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2023 09:13

But But I just skimmed over a recent
Robbie interview and hes pumped off sO much weight ....

Surely that should lighten thee foundation load ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657Next
Current Page: 55 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home