Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657Next
Current Page: 56 of 57
Re: OT: Jimmy Page is back!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 5, 2023 09:53

RollingFreak
Love Jimmy and there's always gonna be an element of his life that feels like it was so much wasted time. At least since 2000 for the most part. He had The Firm after Zep, then a solo album, then Coverdale/Page, then Page & Plant and then played with the Black Crowes, but pretty much disappeared off the face of the planet after that with the exception of the Zep reunion.

I think he kinda "died" after Plant said no to any Zep reunion. That was the final blow for him. IIrc, back in 2007, American promoters offered 1 billion dollar for a LZ tour. Page certainly had great expectations for that - and not just monetary ones - but Plant killed the plan in the nest.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: November 5, 2023 18:32

RisingStone
“Robert Plant performed ‘Stairway To Heaven’ solo for the first time”

[ledzepnews.com]

Watched it twice. Horrible.
I'm glad now that they did no reunion tour.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 5, 2023 19:20

Phil Good
RisingStone

[ledzepnews.com]

Strongly disagree. The Celebration Day audio and video recordings are evidence that Page, Plant, Jones, and Jason Bonham had put in the work to rehearse the show. It sounded fantastic. With a state of the art sound system and technical crew (as opposed to the shambolic unrehearsed nature of Plant’s performance of Stairway To Heaven at the benefit performance), it is highly likely a full-fledged Led Zeppelin tour after the 02 show would have been an artistic and commercial success. As it stands Celebration Day serves as a brilliant farewell.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 5, 2023 20:55

For me the reunion show was amazing. Wish there would have been a tour. Maybe it's too late now?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 6, 2023 00:12

spikenyc
From the RocknRoll Hall of Fame induction show in Bklyn last night.

Jimmy played the tribute to Link Wray.

[www.instagram.com]

I was there. Big surprise and really cool.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: November 6, 2023 21:58

Jimmy already paid a tribute to Link Wray in a documentary : It Might Get Loud

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 6, 2023 23:15

Javadave
Phil Good
RisingStone

[ledzepnews.com]

Strongly disagree. The Celebration Day audio and video recordings are evidence that Page, Plant, Jones, and Jason Bonham had put in the work to rehearse the show. It sounded fantastic. With a state of the art sound system and technical crew (as opposed to the shambolic unrehearsed nature of Plant’s performance of Stairway To Heaven at the benefit performance), it is highly likely a full-fledged Led Zeppelin tour after the 02 show would have been an artistic and commercial success. As it stands Celebration Day serves as a brilliant farewell.

I was one of many at the time that obviously wanted a Zep reunion tour. I was furious at Plant for denying us. It wasn't till 5 years later that I really got why, at least in my head, and I probably should have gotten it sooner. I went to the reunion movie with a girlfriend, and afterwards I was raving about how good it was and she was like "did he have to have his shirt open and grab his ass on the time?" And I couldn't believe THAT'S what she focused on, but it finally clicked in me that it never would be enough for some people. I'm not saying she's the litmus test for all of the world, but I think it brought up a good point.

I didn't think anything of that cause he's Robert Plant, thats what he does. But Robert, repeatedly, has said he's not that guy from Led Zeppelin anymore, and I get it. That was so long enough, he's not young anymore. So in that context, for one night only, he set everything aside to give the public the show they wanted. In the right way, with Jason, for Ahmet, I thought Robert was fantastic at the show, and that was because he was having fun and closing the door. And honestly, I thought it was beautiful. Yes I think they could have sounded great if they toured, but they did the show everyone wanted, and filmed it for the world. They don't NEED to do anything more, and I respect Robert for doing it when ultimately he didn't have to, and giving his all. He had to take the brunt of being "the bad guy" (especially when Jimmy is everywhere, guitar in hand, ready to go), but he's right. It was a time and place, it is no more. That was the best way to end it and even though I'd obviously have loved a tour then (not now, its been far too long) I'm also really proud of him for being respectful to their legacy and not cashing in.

Now do I know why at times Robert has hinted at it and said "my schedule is open, ask the other guys"? I don't, cause thats just a dumb thing to say when he clearly has no interest. But he's done a hard thing in saying no and ultimately I think its out of love and not laziness or just to be an ass. As for Jimmy, I wish the guy would just put on a guitar, grab a singer, maybe Jason on drums, and just tour but he obviously don't want to. I think he's wasted way more time and been more of a disappointment than Robert in refusing to do Zeppelin, but I was thrilled as anyone to see Jimmy this weekend.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 7, 2023 01:22

I was at the 2007 reunion show and it was awe-inspiring. (Friends who were at the closed rehearsal show the day before said in some ways that was even better.) They were all really tight and had been rehearsing for weeks. It was the perfect high to go out on. Robert had said ever since it was announced that it would be a one-off, and I think Jimmy was gambling that it would go so well Robert would change his mind about touring, but realistically I don't think that was ever going to happen.

Posted by: 5StringsEnuff ()
Date: November 7, 2023 21:45

Page's respect and admiration -- and gratitude -- for Link Wray could not have been more sincere or moving.

When he appeared wielding his classic double-neck, I thought he would treat us to a Wray medley; perhaps dropping down to the six-string for a bit of another Wray hit, like "Rawhide".

Alas, that was not to be, but it does not lessen the magic of the moment.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 8, 2023 07:39

Led Zeppelin IV’s Last Enduring Mystery, Revealed At Last

For decades fans have speculated who the mysterious old man carrying sticks on the cover of Led Zeppelin’s fourth album might be. A West Country historian has finally uncovered the truth.

By Chris Catchpole 

[www.mojo4music.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 8, 2023 09:59

Cristiano Radtke

For decades fans have speculated who the mysterious old man carrying sticks on the cover of Led Zeppelin’s fourth album might be. A West Country historian has finally uncovered the truth.

By Chris Catchpole 

[www.mojo4music.com]

Fascinating! Thank you for posting! thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 8, 2023 14:51

Cristiano Radtke

By Chris Catchpole 

[www.mojo4music.com]

They told him Four Sticks but he got a whole lot more than he bargained for!

OT: Led Zeppelin's first concert was 55 years ago today!
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 9, 2023 18:38

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's first concert was 55 years ago today!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2023 18:48

I'll bet they went down like a lead balloon!

Posted by: opj ()
Date: November 9, 2023 19:09

7 september 1968 The New yardbirds in Gladsaxe pop Club, First Concert ever.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 9, 2023 19:10

It's been a long time since they rock and rolled.

Date: November 9, 2023 19:18

opj

True. They weren't called Led Zeppelin yet. First Led Zeppelin show was 55 years ago today.

Date: November 9, 2023 19:20

It would've been interesting if The Rolling Stones had Jimmy Page on guitar during the Emotional Rescue sessions, in particular on the outtake 'Jah Is Not Dead'.

It would've been Keith Richards, Boz Scaggs, and Jimmy Page on guitar.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 9, 2023 21:07

NashvilleBlues
opj

True. They weren't called Led Zeppelin yet. First Led Zeppelin show was 55 years ago today.

Yes, but I think that New Yardbirds show can be considered Zep’s first. After all, they only billed themselves as the ‘New Yardbirds’ for contractual reasons; their earliest dates being originally meant for the original Yardbirds. Then again, whrn exactly was it that - supposedly - Keith Moon chipped-in with ‘go down like a ‘lead zeppelin’ comment?

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 9, 2023 22:11

Big Al
NashvilleBlues
opj

Yes, but I think that New Yardbirds show can be considered Zep’s first. After all, they only billed themselves as the ‘New Yardbirds’ for contractual reasons; their earliest dates being originally meant for the original Yardbirds. Then again, whrn exactly was it that - supposedly - Keith Moon chipped-in with ‘go down like a ‘lead zeppelin’ comment?

To set the record straight; contrary to the popular myth, all of their earliest gigs during the pre-Led Zeppelin days were promoted or advertised under the group name, The Yardbirds, NOT The New Yardbirds, but a couple of occasions — as far as the surviving documents exhibit, at least. And the alleged promotional poster for the Surrey University gig, October 25, 1968, putting “NEW YARDBIRDS FEATURING JIMMY PAGE”, is suspected of fake in some quarters.

Whether The New Yardbirds existed officially (i.e. on the contract paper) is rather unclear, even though Page, Peter Grant & Co. referred to that in retrospect from time to time.

[www.ledzeppelin.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-10 03:04 by RisingStone.

Semi OT: ‘I’m not giving Mick Jagger £1,000 for some old mansion, I’ll find somewhere else!’”
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 13, 2023 19:48

Re: Semi OT: ‘I’m not giving Mick Jagger £1,000 for some old mansion, I’ll find somewhere else!’”
Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 14, 2023 18:48

The Joker
[www.musicradar.com]

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

ot: Plant/Krauss tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 13, 2024 22:41

Robert Plant and Allison Krauss will be touring this summer, a 28 city North American tour, including Aug 13 and 14 in Vancouver. Sure are lots of tours being announced lately!

Re: ot: Plant/Krauss tour
Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: February 14, 2024 00:25

Definitely hit one of these cool smiley

Date: February 14, 2024 00:27

Saw them last year. Definitely worth it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 14, 2024 12:59

Here is a link with dates: [www.plantkrauss.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2024 23:37

DGA35
Robert Plant and Allison Krauss will be touring this summer, a 28 city North American tour, including Aug 13 and 14 in Vancouver. Sure are lots of tours being announced lately!

Wow, at the Queen E. That'll be awesome. I saw Plant there, must have been over 10 years ago, was that the Band of Joy tour? I can't recall exactly, only that it was a really good show.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: February 15, 2024 00:23

Snagged a nosebleed for one of the shows. 122 CAD after fees.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 15, 2024 01:33

treaclefingers
DGA35

Wow, at the Queen E. That'll be awesome. I saw Plant there, must have been over 10 years ago, was that the Band of Joy tour? I can't recall exactly, only that it was a really good show.

Too young to have seen Zeppelin, although my older brother saw them in 71 at the Coliseum, said it was jam packed, even the aisles were jammed with people crowding them!
Did see Plant/Page when they came to Vancouver in the mid 90s which was a good show. Don't think I want to see this tour, even if they do play a few Zeppelin songs.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 15, 2024 02:57

Just grabbed 2 at the Frost. Great venue

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657Next
Current Page: 56 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home