Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 57
Re: OT: Jimmy Page interview in GQ mag
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 17, 2018 20:51

slane82
This was recorded last year:

[www.youtube.com]

Just missed it -- I was staying across the street, but had to get back to London that day.

That was a great live performance! winking smiley
In all seriousness, saw that video last year and it was very interesting. thumbs up

Another video from 2014 where Page discusses Stairway to Heaven:

Jimmy Page: How Stairway to Heaven was written - BBC News

keefriff99
He was slightly rude in the interview, but I get it.

As far as why he doesn't record and perform...I think he's just stuck creatively and overwhelmed by the legacy of Led Zeppelin.

He did The Firm, he did Page/Coverdale, he did the two Page/Plant albums, he played with the Black Crowes. That's not too bad in the grand scheme of things, and I'm lucky I got to see one of the Black Crowes shows.

He could have done NOTHING after Zeppelin, and his legacy would still be intact.

thumbs up

Yes, his contributions to music are massive, and thankfully he's still alive and well to reap the benefits and enjoy his life however he pleases.
Would it be nice to see him release a solo album - or any kind of new material- and tour? Of course it would, especially after he's talked about it for so long.
But to have any animosity towards him as if he owes you something (as some have expressed in this thread) seems selfish and childish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-17 20:58 by Hairball.

Re: OT: Jimmy Page interview in GQ mag
Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 17, 2018 20:56

RollingFreak
marianna
I thought the writer came across as a jerk, not Page. It's GQ, not the NY Post or National Enquirer. Page likely thought he was there to answer general questions about the collection release and about Led Zep. The fact that the interviewer front-loaded music questions suggests that that's what was agreed upon in advance. He sprung the heroin question on Page when Jimmy didn't seem ready for it. Yeah, maybe JP is a grouch, but he has a right to answer what he wants and refuse snything else. The past was a long time ago for him. So what if he's not into the too-much-personal-information that some journalists are fond of.

Then too @#$%& bad. Don't do interviews. We've heard him repeat the same tired shit for years now because Zeppelin is all he wants to talk about. If he doesn't want to have a real interview then don't do press. Page can act however he wants, he's earned that. But if you're gonna talk about the same Zep stuff for 30 years, don't be thrown when someone tries to ask you something different. The interviewer knew his shit, and wasn't bringing up stuff like the mud shark thing. Page did. Page was just weird and grumpy. Its certainly not the interviewers fault.

The writer tries to get Jimmy to be more open by bringing up Elvis and the fact that knowing about the personal side of Elvis made him more interesting. But I seriously doubt anyone asked Elvis about his drug use, weight gain, or divorce when Elvis was alive. Page did volunteer some personal information, such as mentioning his kids and his mother. That also could have been a way to hint that maybe talking about his alleged past heroin use isn't something he wants his kids or elderly mother to know about. He mentions his clothes, which is what most men might expect to be asked about for a fashion magazine. If Jimmy is known to be a bad interview subject, then that's on the writer and magazine that Page proved it again. He's not the only public figure who doesn't say much in interviews.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Date: August 17, 2018 21:12

SomeGuy
keefriffhard4life
SomeGuy
Compared to Ginger Baker, Jimmy's post Zep career has been extensive, ha.
And that includes the Cream years...

not sure what you mean? ginger baker has released about 30 studio albums since leaving cream and probably 15 live albums

I stand corrected. I only knew he played on a few Cream albums and in that shortlived and (in my opinion) awful Baker Gurvitz band, apart from a few solo recordings that no one ever listened to. I thought that Jimmy's albums were a bit more high profile, so to speak.

I even own one record with Ginger on it: Sunrise On The Sufferbus (1992).

't Was only a slight attempt at a joke anyway, sorry.

after cream he was also in blind faith and ginger bakers airforce

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 18, 2018 00:55

Ginger Bakers Airforce had some cool stuff. Amazing drummer, Shit human being.

Zeppelin are a band i dont "get". Im not sure why. I like Sabbath, Purple etc. But zeppelin annoy the bollocks off me. Apart from 2-3 songs.
Why have Zeppelin not caught my ear the same as a lot of other bands of similar taste have!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 18, 2018 18:04

here's a classy one from Jimmy :
[www.vintageconcertposters.com]

Klosterman should also have asked him about the Nazi uniform Page wore onstage in Chicago in 1977... grinning smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 20, 2018 17:00

Not that anyone probably cares but...

Just rewatched Celebration Day this weekend and god I'm so happy this reunion happened one time. At the time I was so upset it was truly only a one off, but watching it I think it really may have been for the better. It would have been tough, but if I really wanted to go I could have and seeing it beautifully on my television with great sound I'm just happy it happened at all. Zeppelin had such an abrupt end with such minor (and usually bad) performances following that I'm happy they ended on a true high note here. I really don't think it could have gone any more perfectly.

Gotta single out Robert Plant, he absolutely destroys it here. I really believe him when he says its hard to get back into that "character" fronting Zeppelin and singing those songs. He does them solo but its in a completely different context and without most of the expectation that goes along with fronting Zeppelin. So for him to put all of that aside, not phone it in and truly try his hardest (and succeed) almost brings me to tears. He is the real MVP of the show to me and I just thank him so much for giving all of us this one more opportunity to see him front one of the greatest bands of all time.

As always, I love seeing Jimmy Page play guitar. He's still got the swagger and while I know many criticize him as sloppy, especially here, I still get a kick out of it. Doesn't have to be perfect for me, thats Page, and he sounded great all night to me. When that first guitar solo comes in on Good Times Bad Times I'm smiling ear to ear. A joy to see him up there crushing it, violin bow in hand for Dazed and Confused. John Paul Jones, as always, is absolutely solid and doing an unsung job, and Jason kills it, making it all feel truly special and right. Sure it would have been fun to see Dave Grohl or someone up there playing but Jason deserved to be there and thankfully did an excellent job.

I've probably said this before in this thread but just really love this document. Its so important and was the final nail in the coffin for me for Zep. You can't beat that, especially 10 years later. I'm a young fan that should want to see them more than anything in the world but I don't even want to see them try. Its so hard to find a time when they are all into it and miraculously they all are here. As much as I want to experience these things for myself, there's also a time to put things down with class and grace and thats what this is. Its a fitting end to the Zeppelin legacy and there's more than enough old live stuff to put out to satisfy any remaining interest. Makes me so happy to see them basking in the light one last time.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 21, 2018 02:49

I'm glad that they finally, after some five years, put out the dvd of the Celebration Day show. I attended that concert, so for me it's a nice souvenir of a great, one of a kind show.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 05:26

If he wants to play live, and Robert Plant does not, Jimmy Page should play live with Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart. Heart always does Zep covers at their shows, and if you compare Ann's voice now to Plant's, the truth is that Heart does Led Zeppelin better "today" than Led Zeppelin can do LedZeppelin "today". Today is the key work, but its true. Ann kills these Zep songs, and Nancy would give Page a legit rhythm guitar player, giving Jimmy the space to do whatever he wants. Jimmy Page with Ann and Nancy Wilson would be incredible.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Date: August 21, 2018 05:29

Probably gotta get the Heart sisters to play together first. But yeah, thats not a bad idea. It really is too bad Page didn't do what he did with the Black Crowes with more bands. That was really cool and as I said earlier in the thread, any band would have him and play Zeppelin songs. If he doesn't want to tour solo and form his own band, he might as well have started sitting in with well known bands and keeping the Zeppelin legacy alive that way. Would have been awesome. The things we've missed.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 21, 2018 08:26

dcba

Klosterman should also have asked him about the Nazi uniform Page wore onstage in Chicago in 1977... grinning smiley

In the 60s and 70s World War II era nazi images were often used to be shocking and outrageous.
You can find pictures of Keith wearing a swastika around his neck and a row of them adorning one of his guitars.Mick has one on his t-shirt in the Texas 78 video.
Pages Chicago 77 outfit doesn’t really need an explanation to Zep fans,it’s just assumed we’ve all seen the cover of Led Zeppelin II.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 21, 2018 13:31

Also worth mentioning from Celebration day is the bonus video of the dress rehearsal for Celebration day , which in some ways even outdoes or outshines the actual tribute concert for Ahmett Ertagan .It is worth checking out , Plant does not move around the stage a lot , nor do the others (Page and Jones ) but the playing and vocals is really top notch .

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 21, 2018 13:47

lem motlow
dcba

In the 60s and 70s World War II era nazi images were often used to be shocking and outrageous.
You can find pictures of Keith wearing a swastika around his neck and a row of them adorning one of his guitars.Mick has one on his t-shirt in the Texas 78 video.
Pages Chicago 77 outfit doesn’t really need an explanation to Zep fans,it’s just assumed we’ve all seen the cover of Led Zeppelin II.

[hipquotient.com]

Date: August 21, 2018 14:42

TheGreek
Also worth mentioning from Celebration day is the bonus video of the dress rehearsal for Celebration day , which in some ways even outdoes or outshines the actual tribute concert for Ahmett Ertagan .It is worth checking out , Plant does not move around the stage a lot , nor do the others (Page and Jones ) but the playing and vocals is really top notch .

Yeah I've heard its excellent and arguably better. Own the DVD but never saw it cause I just figure I'll stick with the real thing that I'm used to. But I should really check it out.

Date: August 21, 2018 14:58

RollingFreak
TheGreek

Yeah I've heard its excellent and arguably better. Own the DVD but never saw it cause I just figure I'll stick with the real thing that I'm used to. But I should really check it out.

For some reason I've never watched the dress rehearsals either..

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 21, 2018 15:19

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
TheGreek

For some reason I've never watched the dress rehearsals either..

As I recall, it's a single camera throughout, where the shot never varies (straight on, full band). But the rehearsal performance outdoes the actual gig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 17:42 by ab.

Date: August 21, 2018 16:32

I think in general whenever I'm in the mood I just figure I should watch the one with all the excitement and that I've known for years from the bootleg. And by the end I don't really feel the need to see it a second time. But yes, I've heard consistently that performancewise the rehearsal is better than the actual gig, which I find nuts because I thought the gig was fantastic.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 6, 2018 11:37

Interesting this hullabaloo about the remastered editions of "The song remains the same". I have only heard the pre-released songs on spotify yet, but I can´t hear any significant difference from the 2007 versions. Talk about milking the cow.

Date: September 6, 2018 14:31

Svartmer
Interesting this hullabaloo about the remastered editions of "The song remains the same". I have only heard the pre-released songs on spotify yet, but I can´t hear any significant difference from the 2007 versions. Talk about milking the cow.

There's no way it'll sound any different. It was just done 10 years ago, there's no way TO make it better without physically changing it. 2007 was an upgrade of a 30 year old record. The new one I believe is just a co-packaging but it'll sound the same. Same as The Band's Last Waltz recent box. You can't really make something thats already come out in the last 15 years sound much better these days.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 6, 2018 15:13

RollingFreak
Svartmer

There's no way it'll sound any different. It was just done 10 years ago, there's no way TO make it better without physically changing it. 2007 was an upgrade of a 30 year old record. The new one I believe is just a co-packaging but it'll sound the same. Same as The Band's Last Waltz recent box. You can't really make something thats already come out in the last 15 years sound much better these days.

Yes, and that´s exactly my point.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 6, 2018 18:00

Where is all the 50th anniversary CD/DVD merchandise ?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 22, 2018 16:27

This is an amazing and touching photo. Robert Plant at the John Bonham Memorial.

[www.markrichards.eu]

Date: September 22, 2018 19:43

Yes, a touching photo....and a very impressive memorial.thumbs up

Date: September 23, 2018 22:14

I'll believe it when I see it:

[q1043.iheart.com]

Led Zeppelin Reportedly Creating Online Streaming Service For Live Shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-23 22:15 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 24, 2018 11:04

RollingFreak
I'll believe it when I see it:

[q1043.iheart.com]

Led Zeppelin Reportedly Creating Online Streaming Service For Live Shows

"Led Zeppelin is reportedly in the early stages of developing a streaming service to release their trove of live performances online.

According to LedZepNews, who broke the exclusive earlier this week, the English rock legends have sought out to coin "Led Zeppelin Experience" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office with intentions of “providing non-downloadable prerecorded music on-line via a global computer network.”

Some companies are still really thinking in 2018 that a streaming can't be perfectly recorded ?

Even Netflix and Tidal know it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-24 11:05 by Massimo68.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 29, 2018 17:20

Led Zeppelin Face Retrial in ‘Stairway to Heaven’ Suit ...

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: September 29, 2018 19:17

Lol good lord...that will keep Page busy for another couple years...eye rolling smiley...if it goes forward that is.

"Skidmore’s lawyer Francis Malofiy first filed the suit in 2014.
During the trial, he alleged that Jimmy Page might have been influenced by the Mary Poppins song “Chim Chim Cheree”
and accused Page and Robert Plant of having “selective memory.”'

Based on my own memory, pretty sure that was Jimmy Page (or Zeppelin's attorney) who said that- not Skidmore or Malofiy.
Skidmore/Malofiy's claim was Page/Plant/Zeppelin lifted directly from Stairway toi Heaven and nothing else beyond that.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: September 30, 2018 16:41

An amazing quality soundboard of the 9-09-71 Osaka show has shown up on torrent sites this morning, easily THE best quality Zeppelin bootleg in several years!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 30, 2018 18:17

I like Spirit and Led Zeppelin both; something is telling me that Randy California , when alive, didn't remotely give a monkeys about the aural similarities between Taurus and Stairway to Heaven. Is this a case of greedy in-laws?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 30, 2018 19:35

Mr.D
An amazing quality soundboard of the 9-09-71 Osaka show has shown up on torrent sites this morning, easily THE best quality Zeppelin bootleg in several years!

Great recording, thanks for the hint!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 30, 2018 23:14

schillid
Led Zeppelin Face Retrial in ‘Stairway to Heaven’ Suit ...

[www.rollingstone.com]

I did not follow the trial closely and, in so doing, did not realize the Jury
we’re not allowed to hear either song. This could make a big difference for a
average jury.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home