Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 26, 2019 09:26

Jimmy's solo album and tour will unfortunately never come. I've been saying it for years. There is no reason to ever believe its really coming until its actually here. I still hope it is, but I have zero faith because clearly he just cares too much about Zeppelin. Its sad, he could be having such a cool great latter era solo career here that he's just wasting. You're a legend man, oh well.

In regards to Zeppelin live albums, he chops them up like crazy and makes sure you get the best bits from every show, to an anal degree. Having said that, it results in a stellar live document so I really can't fault him for it. I don't really think its all necessary, but How The West Was Won and the new Song Remains The Same are fantastic and regular listens for me. Even if its cobbled together, its Zep at their peak and they sound phenomenal. I so wish we had other shows from the Physical Graffitti tour and others out on official release, since oddly enough they really HAVEN'T flooded the marketplace with live stuff. But I have to tip my hat to what he's put out. Its absolutely fantastic.

Date: January 26, 2019 15:08

DrPete
Much of Jimmy's most grievous editing is snipping out other songs from the WLL Live medley to save on royalty payments. But overall the Stones have done a much better job releasing their back catalog than the very frustrated Zeppelin fans

I believe this wasn't to save on any payments but because whoever owns the copyright now didn't grant page permission to use the songs so he had to remove the ones he wasn't granted permission for. same thing happened with the who for their bbc release

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 26, 2019 16:22

Watch this and tell me you don't like Zepelin
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 26, 2019 16:35

RollingFreak
Jimmy's solo album and tour will unfortunately never come. I've been saying it for years. There is no reason to ever believe its really coming until its actually here. I still hope it is, but I have zero faith because clearly he just cares too much about Zeppelin. Its sad, he could be having such a cool great latter era solo career here that he's just wasting. You're a legend man, oh well.

In regards to Zeppelin live albums, he chops them up like crazy and makes sure you get the best bits from every show, to an anal degree. Having said that, it results in a stellar live document so I really can't fault him for it. I don't really think its all necessary, but How The West Was Won and the new Song Remains The Same are fantastic and regular listens for me. Even if its cobbled together, its Zep at their peak and they sound phenomenal. I so wish we had other shows from the Physical Graffitti tour and others out on official release, since oddly enough they really HAVEN'T flooded the marketplace with live stuff. But I have to tip my hat to what he's put out. Its absolutely fantastic.
He's 75...he LOOKS pretty great, especially compared to some of his peers, and given his lifestyle, but at that age, you simply just can't dive back into recording and touring.

It's like muscle memory...at least the Stones do a few shows every year to keep the gears greased.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 26, 2019 19:30

coffeepotman
[www.youtube.com]

Always loved that smokin' version of How Many More Times, then again the studio version has always been my favorite tune on Zep I.
Regardless of the borrowing/stealing and referencing of various elements from other sources (the title and certain lyrics for example), it's uniquely Led Zeppelin in all their youthful glory.

How Many More Times (Zep I)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 26, 2019 19:38

coffeepotman
[www.youtube.com]

That is kickin'.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 26, 2019 22:15

^ On fire. Mick was wise to not pick them for R&R Circus. hot smiley

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 27, 2019 14:59

keefriff99
RollingFreak

It's like muscle memory...at least the Stones do a few shows every year to keep the gears greased.

Keith's memory ain't what it used to be

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 27, 2019 17:20

GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
[www.youtube.com]

That is kickin'.

I don't like Zeppelin. I love them.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 27, 2019 18:10

coffeepotman
keefriff99

Keith's memory ain't what it used to be
I still put more faith in the Stones putting on a ripping show at their ages than Jimmy Page.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 9, 2019 20:23

[www.youtube.com]

Amazing how they dusted off this deep cut and played live to perfection

Nobody's Fault But Mine (Live: O2 Arena, London - December 10, 2007

Date: February 10, 2019 00:02

Lol, I mean, Nobody's Fault But Mine isn't really a deep cut. Its one of only two recognizable songs on Presence, an otherwise forgotten album. I agree it was played to perfection, and its a great song, but fully expected to be played.

The songs at the reunion show that were actually surprises were Ramble On and For Your Life, never played live in full, and In My Time Of Dying, which they certainly didn't have to do but I'm so @#$%& happy they did and crushed. It set the night off on a good note. To a lesser extent, Good Times Bad Times wasn't a given, but the appropriate opener. Literally everything else would have been shocking if they DIDN'T play it. Phenomenal concert front to back.

Date: February 10, 2019 00:15

Presence = GREAT album.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 10, 2019 00:40

Hairball
Presence = GREAT album.

Achilles Last Stand most likely contributed to the death of a few brain cells here. >grinning smiley<

Date: February 10, 2019 00:51

crholmstrom
Hairball
Presence = GREAT album.

Achilles Last Stand most likely contributed to the death of a few brain cells here. >grinning smiley<

Haha yeah same here.
I read an interview with Page a long time ago where he was asked his personal all time favorite guitar solo out of all the Zep songs, his answer was Achilles Last Stand.
No doubt one one the all time greatest by anyone, and there may have been a time when it was my absolute favorite of his, but he has so many it's hard to pick a single one.
I'd throw in the extendeded solo on the live version of No Quarter from Song Remains the Same as amongst his very, very best.
In fact listening to that back in the day might have killed more brain cells than listening to Achilles Last Stand. winking smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 10, 2019 05:32

crholmstrom
Hairball
Presence = GREAT album.

Great song.

To me, it's exhausting to just to listen to that song...hard to imagine how it would feel after actually playing it!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: February 10, 2019 07:24

Check this out. If you're a big Zeppelin fan, you know who Neal Preston is. This was taken inside his studio. The holy grail of Zeppelin photography.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: February 10, 2019 11:15

Hairball
crholmstrom
Hairball
Presence = GREAT album.

Haha yeah same here.
I read an interview with Page a long time ago where he was asked his personal all time favorite guitar solo out of all the Zep songs, his answer was Achilles Last Stand.
No doubt one one the all time greatest by anyone, and there may have been a time when it was my absolute favorite of his, but he has so many it's hard to pick a single one.
I'd throw in the extendeded solo on the live version of No Quarter from Song Remains the Same as amongst his very, very best.
In fact listening to that back in the day might have killed more brain cells than listening to Achilles Last Stand. winking smiley

I also read a long time ago that Page's favourite solo was on Tea For One. Might have been that he was promoting Presence at the time but it is too long ago.

Date: February 10, 2019 11:34

Valeswood
Hairball
crholmstrom
Hairball
Presence = GREAT album.

Haha yeah same here.

I also read a long time ago that Page's favourite solo was on Tea For One. Might have been that he was promoting Presence at the time but it is too long ago.

Tried finding the old quote I read years ago, but to no avail.
However, I did find this from a more recent article in Ultimate Classic Rock, 2013.
No mention of Achilles being his favorite solo, but it does say it's his favorite Zeppelin track.

Achilles Last Stand

Page has often displayed an avid interest in multi-layering guitar tracks to obtain an orchestrated sound, and nowhere is that more evident than on 'Achilles Last Stand.' The guitarist overdubbed a dozen guitars for this 10-minute-plus epic, which he has named as his favorite Zeppelin track. Incredibly, Page performed all of the overdubs for the track's massive guitar orchestra during a single session in Munich. The solos range from multi-tracked harmony lines to single-track lead lines that represent some of Page's most lyrical recorded work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 11:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 10, 2019 11:56

Cristiano Radtke
Jimmy Page said that previously unheard Led Zeppelin music and ‘all manner of surprises’ will be released for the band’s fiftieth anniversary in 2018

Jimmy Page has said in a new interview that previously unheard music by Led Zeppelin will be released for the band’s fiftieth anniversary in 2018.

Page spoke to the Academy of Achievement in a 50-minute video interview, and at the end he was asked about plans for Led Zeppelin’s fiftieth anniversary next year.

“There’ll be Led Zeppelin product coming out, for sure, that people haven’t heard,” Page said, “because I’m working on that. Next year will be the fiftieth year so there’s all manner of surprises coming out.”

Page’s comments fit with what we already know about plans for Led Zeppelin’s fiftieth anniversary.

In September we reported that an executive from Led Zeppelin’s record label Warner Music Group wrote a letter in support of a planned statue of John Bonham in which he said that Warner Music is planning “a series of high-profile events” in 2018. He also said that the label plans to conduct “extensive outreach to media and fans worldwide” in conjunction with the events.

[ledzepnews.com]

Page Jimmy 2017 MasterEdit

Did I miss something in 2018 or was the unheard music the remastered TSRTS and HTWWW?

Listening to the 2003 HTWWW right now and its pretty awesome!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 10, 2019 15:34

His Majesty
Mick was wise to not pick them for R&R Circus

Maybe his English sense of elegance and restraint was shocked by this bunch of newcommers who brought nothing new. Their "originality" was to be OTT in every aspect of their music. That logically clashes with the "less is more" approach favored by Mick Keith and (more than anyone else) Charlie.

In a way LZ was the 1st "Spinal Tap"-ish band. If late 1968 Jim Marshall had an amp "that goes to 11" I'm sure Page would have bought one... or four! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 15:38 by dcba.

Date: February 10, 2019 17:46

Tea for One is my fav page solo the emotion jimmy puts out with the blues is perfection - I hate when they say he plays sloppy the emotion and at times confusion and chaos he plays with is what captures it for me -

ted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 10, 2019 00:02

Lol, I mean, Nobody's Fault But Mine isn't really a deep cut. Its one of only two recognizable songs on Presence, an otherwise forgotten album. I agree it was played to perfection, and its a great song, but fully expected to be played.

The songs at the reunion show that were actually surprises were Ramble On and For Your Life, never played live in full, and In My Time Of Dying, which they certainly didn't have to do but I'm so @#$%& happy they did and crushed. It set the night off on a good note. To a lesser extent, Good Times Bad Times wasn't a given, but the appropriate opener. Literally everything else would have been shocking if they DIDN'T play it. Phenomenal concert front to back.

Celebration Day

Yes you are correct it was played live but for me it was perfect for the gig.
Good times was a great opener for the indoor arena ( I guess if it was outside they would of played the immigrant song? . Ramble has everything and JPJ bass line is to due for - the whole show is perfect and I listen to that live recording these days to get my Led fix.

Date: February 10, 2019 17:52

Captain Teague
Cristiano Radtke
Jimmy Page said that previously unheard Led Zeppelin music and ‘all manner of surprises’ will be released for the band’s fiftieth anniversary in 2018

Jimmy Page has said in a new interview that previously unheard music by Led Zeppelin will be released for the band’s fiftieth anniversary in 2018.

Page spoke to the Academy of Achievement in a 50-minute video interview, and at the end he was asked about plans for Led Zeppelin’s fiftieth anniversary next year.

“There’ll be Led Zeppelin product coming out, for sure, that people haven’t heard,” Page said, “because I’m working on that. Next year will be the fiftieth year so there’s all manner of surprises coming out.”

Page’s comments fit with what we already know about plans for Led Zeppelin’s fiftieth anniversary.

In September we reported that an executive from Led Zeppelin’s record label Warner Music Group wrote a letter in support of a planned statue of John Bonham in which he said that Warner Music is planning “a series of high-profile events” in 2018. He also said that the label plans to conduct “extensive outreach to media and fans worldwide” in conjunction with the events.

[ledzepnews.com]

Page Jimmy 2017 MasterEdit

Did I miss something in 2018 or was the unheard music the remastered TSRTS and HTWWW?

Listening to the 2003 HTWWW right now and its pretty awesome!

You didn't miss anything. That was his latest lie of 2018. Just something to keep his name out there. No need to remaster either of those live albums. The job they did in 06 of TSRTS fixed any problems with that one and as you say, the 2003 HTWWW is perfect. There's nothing you can make better about it. Why he feels the need to make lofty goals for Zeppelin these days I have no idea, but I think most have come to take it as just talk and nothing actually serious. I think they put out like a picture book or something last year, as well as those remasters with absolutely nothing new. Thats about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 17:54 by RollingFreak.

Date: February 10, 2019 19:24

I,M Gonna Crawl their last song, last album what a vocal performance by Plant what a great blues song - come on Jimmy make some new music that's what you do and not worry so much about the legacy of Led Zeppelin

Date: February 10, 2019 21:56

OpenG
I,M Gonna Crawl their last song, last album what a vocal performance by Plant what a great blues song - come on Jimmy make some new music that's what you do and not worry so much about the legacy of Led Zeppelin

Definitely a highlight and a standout tune on their last and sadly their worst album (imo).
As critic Neil McCormick of the Daily Telegraph put it: "Muddy production, perky synths, jaunty pop rhythms and an orchestral ballad make these songs barely recognisable as the heaviest band in history."
A shame that was the end of their output, and had Bonham lived on they were going to go back to the studio and nix all the synthy stuff

Via wiki:

Following the album's release, Plant, Page and Bonham all expressed reservations about the record. Plant later said that he enjoyed the variation in styles from previous albums, though he appreciated the album was "a bit sanitised". Page said in 2004, "we wanted, after In Through the Out Door, to make something hard-hitting and riff-based again. Of course, we never got to make that album." He is also quoted as saying, "It wasn't the most comfortable album. I think it was very transitional ... a springboard for what could have been". In Through the Out Door was Led Zeppelin's final album to be released while all the original members were still living. Drummer John Bonham died the next year on 25 September 1980.

What could have been...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 21:58 by Hairball.

Date: February 11, 2019 00:36

Still always liked In Through The Out Door. Only truly awful song IMO is Caroselumbra. Just horrible noise. But In The Evening is a great rock track, Fool In The Rain is a great variation, South Bound Saurez also a cool turn down a different avenue. Hot Dog fun honky tonk with some great Page guitar. I'm Gonna Crawl as mentioned a great bluesy track with a great vocal delivery. Even All My Love is fine for what it is, although I would count it as the second worst song. But overall I thought that was a strong album all things considered. I appreciated the variety, and I honestly don't know if another album that they tried to do "going back to their roots" would have worked. I kinda feel like they disbanded when they should have. The well might have been dry.

Date: February 12, 2019 21:07

I always like All My Love and put in Thank You - Robert wrote two of the greatest love songs - Sometimes Plant does not get as much attention for his lyrics but he sure wrote some magical mystical tales - All My Love and Thank You are songs Mick Jagger I guess could write but I feel it would be hard for him to lay it all out their yes Jagger wrote Shine a Light for Brian tragic death but Robert's lyrics are more personal and to me more believable.

Date: February 12, 2019 21:10

Listened to the Rain Song the other day for the first time in ages while it was heavily raining, and it's a true beauty - everything about it.

Date: February 12, 2019 21:23

: February 12, 2019 21:10

Listened to the Rain Song the other day for the first time in ages while it was heavily raining, and it's a true beauty - everything about it.

awesome song - I sat down a few months back and figured out my way( not the best) to play in standard tuning and sounds okay but no where like page . Page got the inspiration for the song from George Harrison's ( something).

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: February 13, 2019 02:26

OpenG
: February 12, 2019 21:10

awesome song - I sat down a few months back and figured out my way( not the best) to play in standard tuning and sounds okay but no where like page . Page got the inspiration for the song from George Harrison's ( something).

That is what I also understood of the origin, as well as it came after George Harrison saw Peter Grant somewhere, and asked why doesn't Zepp ever do a nice ballad...don't know if that rubbed Jimmy the wrong way, or pushed him to do something nice.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home