Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 57
Re: OT: General news for all Led Zeppelin members (band and solo)
Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: August 19, 2017 16:22

treaclefingers
saw Plant a few years ago touring the Band of Joy album. What an absolute treat...probably one of my favourite shows ever (up with every Stones concert I've ever seen, Paul McCartney in 2012, BB King in 86, REM in 87, U2 88).

He's approached his solo career in the way I wish Mick could. Maybe because fans have accepted there will be no LED ZEPPELIN in the future, they're more willing to accept a solo RP whereas MJ was never given that latitude.

But I think a good part of it has been the bad material...Wandering Spirit and Superheavy (ok, no need to sh*t all over me) the exceptions.

Saw him last year in the wonderful Pula Amphitheater, Croatia. One of the best shows I've ever been to. From the experience it comes close to Circus Krone in 2003 - what more can I say. Love this guy and always will smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 19, 2017 16:37

So what is this "General news for all Led Zeppelin members" ?

Date: August 19, 2017 17:11

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
I thunk Plant has done really well. IMO he hasn't really acted 'weighed down by the history of LZ" at all. He has never denied it either; did a couple appropriate reunions, but other than that he has been doing what a good musician does: he has continued to make music, write tunes, record albums, played shows. He has not stayed stagnant; tried to explore new ground etc.
Im sure some people don't like the type of stuff he cuts; and others wish he would remain that shrieking Led Zep Rockgod, but the one thing you can't deny him, is that he has stayed on a righteous path. I happen to like those last 4-5 albums of his.
I don't think anyone is claiming Plant is the one weighed down by the legacy of Zep. He's completely well-adjusted and his solo career proves that he's happy doing his own thing.

It's PAGE that we're all talking about being weighed down by Zep's legacy.
Well, there are a couple posts referring to Plat, but you're right: there is another one I assumed was re. Plant, but is about Page.
I remain baffled by Page's output. Of course he is and should be the one and only supreme ruler of LZ catalog and history. But he has made it a fulltime job. And has stayed very quiet with new music. Or anything. I thought the collaboration with the Crowes was outstanding; as was the whole "walking into Clarksdale". But these were all LZ based.
Page as arranger...what he was doing towards the end of LZ on stuff like "10 Years Gone", "Achilles", "Custard Pie" - thumbs up

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 19, 2017 19:39

I don't think Plant's new solo work is good news for Page, who is presumably still hoping for Plant to agree to a Led Zeppelin world tour.

Both Plant and Page are interesting cases. Plant has seemingly turned his back on a performing with Page and all the resultant adoration and wealth, instead preferring to tour with a succession of oddly named bands.

Page, one of the greatest musicians of all time, appears to be in stasis. He's been by far the least active of the surviving members of Led Zeppelin in recent years. Aside from his ongoing role as archivist of Zeppelin's work, Page fans have been living off crumbs. The publication of his autobiographical 'photographic essay', the odd interview and occasional appearance in the tabloid media when spotted out and about with his girlfriend and that's about all.

Hopefully Plant continues to enjoy his solo career. I may give the album a listen at some point. I certainly remember enjoying aspects of his Mighty Rearranger album.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 19, 2017 19:58

Re Jimmy Page: Why can't he record an album of instrumentals. Think of some of the great guitarists in the past: Django Rheinhart, John Williams, Segovia come to mind.
Solo tracks+ with a band.
Why need a singer...or have to come up with some second rate lyrics.
It's not that he didn't branch out with LZ....more adventurous than The Stones, in some respects.
Doesn't have to be a commercial success really...he is hardly on the breadline.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 19, 2017 20:02

I suppose Page could be suffering from the same condition that afflicts his peers: he's dried up. He might still have a certain % of his "chops" but might not be able to write a decent tune to save his life.

He could take the various "retro" routes and release covers or rehash the past ... but maybe he just can't find his way forward, his muse having flown the coop.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 19, 2017 20:03

Page will never tour or probably put out an album. He always threatens it, I would love it, but I don't even see it happening. Its something he likes to say but then for some reason never act on. Whatever, its his prerogative even though so many would love to see it. But I'll believe it when it happens. Otherwise, its all talk. Coverdale's assessment is very correct. I don't know what he's so afraid of but clearly he is. If it sucks it's not like its gonna taint his past. Gives me even more credit to Robert, who does not try to escape his legacy but is a different man. Thats literally it. Why thats difficult for many to comprehend I'm not sure. But its not an active running away and this is what he does now. Its either accepted or its not.

And no, to answer the last post on the first page, there is no "general news for Zep members". Robert Plant is the only one that ever does anything.

Date: August 19, 2017 20:06

RollingFreak
And no, to answer the last post on the first page, there is no "general news for Zep members". Robert Plant is the only one that ever does anything.

To be fair, Bonham has a reasonable excuse for his recent inactivity.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 19, 2017 20:10

I like the way Plant has conducted his post-Zep career.
Possibly Mick and Keith might have done better had they split early '80s and followed their own muses. Heck, they still could've gotten the band together every three years for a summer tour if they wanted.
Page has different issues. 'Shy boy', as the man once said, I think he felt more comfortable with Zeppelin where he could almost hide behind Page and Bonham and the music they all made.
Being in Zeppelin and reaching those heights did some damage to them both, and they probably both took the path to sanity that was best for them.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 19, 2017 21:35

Whatever one thinks of Plant and his solo career, at least he's not trying to be something he isn't by recording contemporary "experimental" tracks with some rap thrown in and produced by young hotshot producers with multiple remixes. He's maturing gracefully, and while the new tune didn't really grab me on first listen, there's something admirable about the subtle charm of it all. While I won't pay to see him live, I'll buy his new album (as I have with all of his releases) and enjoy it for what it is...the sounds of a 68 year old doing what he thinks is best for himself, and following his heart vs. following the latest trends and seeking chart positions.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 19, 2017 21:40

Got talked into going to a Robert Plant show 3 or 4 summers ago- didnt much care for his 80's output and hadnt kept up since then but figured what the heck, only $50. It was fantastic, no shrieking over-amplified warmed over Zeppelin moves (and only one song from the 80's). Lots of bluesy acoustic stuff with the Middle Eastern drone to it. He seemed relaxed happy and in very good voice. He doesn't need Zep nostalgia and obviously doesnt need Jimmy Page. Page, on the other hand, cant let go and move on and now hes in his mid-70's so why bother.....a shame since he was so bloody good.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 19, 2017 22:03

wonderboy
Possibly Mick and Keith might have done better had they split early '80s and followed their own muses. Heck, they still could've gotten the band together every three years for a summer tour if they wanted.

Well, that is what has essentially happened.

The stones split in 80's, they just never had the balls to announce it.

Date: August 19, 2017 22:08

Hairball
Whatever one thinks of Plant and his solo career, at least he's not trying to be something he isn't by recording contemporary "experimental" tracks with some rap thrown in and produced by young hotshot producers with multiple remixes. He's maturing gracefully, and while the new tune didn't really grab me on first listen, there's something admirable about the subtle charm of it all. While I won't pay to see him live, I'll buy his new album (as I have with all of his releases) and enjoy it for what it is...the sounds of a 68 year old doing what he thinks is best for himself, and following his heart vs. following the latest trends and seeking chart positions.

LOL HB perhaps you could be a bit less passive-aggressive and name the assailant? smiling smiley

Is the consensus really that there was something about Mick's songs that was "experimental"? Mystifying, if so. Alas, I don't hear that, as they sound like filler that would not have been out of place on any of the last 6 Stones records.

Date: August 19, 2017 22:09

Just for the record, I never meant to post in a thread called "Led Zeppelin's plagiarism" ...

Date: August 19, 2017 23:14

LongBeachArena72
Hairball

LOL HB perhaps you could be a bit less passive-aggressive and name the assailant? smiling smiley

Is the consensus really that there was something about Mick's songs that was "experimental"? Mystifying, if so. Alas, I don't hear that, as they sound like filler that would not have been out of place on any of the last 6 Stones records.

I did put quotations around experimental as that's what those tunes were described as - could have been Mick, Universal, someone here who has inside info., or the publicity release (or a combo of all), so the label kind of stuck. I've said before that they sound like outtakes from Stones albums of the past 35+ years (my very first impression), and even posted a review later in that thread where the writer mentioned the same, yet some still describe them as "experimental". Though not necessarily experimental, there is the contemporary factor by using young hot shot producers and offering multiple remixes aiming for a particular younger audience perhaps...something Robert Plant is obviously not doing.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 19, 2017 23:17

His Majesty
wonderboy

Well, that is what has essentially happened.

The stones split in 80's, they just never had the balls to announce it.

Why should they split?
Just because you disagree on somethings, you don't have to split.
You can have separate projects and still do things together!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 20, 2017 00:53

LongBeachArena72
RollingFreak

To be fair, Bonham has a reasonable excuse for his recent inactivity.
& John Paul Jones is active. He just tends to do more "arty" stuff that doesn't have a large audience & isn't always rock. With the exception of Them Crooked Vultures, of course. I was just listening to an incredible tape from 1975 & John's work just leaps out. Extraordinary musician who didn't get the acclaim of the rest of the band. There is talk of another Vultures project at some point. I saw them & they were great live.

Date: August 20, 2017 01:17

mtaylor

Why should they split?
Just because you disagree on somethings, you don't have to split.
You can have separate projects and still do things together!!

I didn't say they should, but they kind of did, but didn't say so and opted to re-group every now and then to tour and pretend they are still a band. grinning smiley

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 20, 2017 01:39

It would be nice to have a general Zeppelin thread that doesn't contain the contentious word "plagiarism" in the title. tongue sticking out smiley

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Date: August 20, 2017 02:01

Aquamarine
It would be nice to have a general Zeppelin thread that doesn't contain the contentious word "plagiarism" in the title. tongue sticking out smiley

[www.royal-orleans.com]

grinning smiley

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Date: August 20, 2017 22:26

The bastard is 69 today! Keep on rockin Robert! Many of us love ya and appreciate that you let Zeppelin go with some dignity. One of the greatest voices in all of rock, even if they did steal every one of their songs.

Date: August 20, 2017 22:31

RollingFreak
One of the greatest voices in all of rock, even if they did steal every one of their songs

Lol...eye rolling smiley..surely you jest!

Happy Birthday Robert Plant!!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 25, 2017 17:14

(Not exactly Led Zeppelin news, but related in some way grinning smiley)

Yardbirds '68 - Double Vinyl edition (Pre-order)

“We thought this might be lost forever, but we’ve rediscovered it, re-mixed it. It’s of great historical importance. We’re delighted to see the release.”
- Jim McCarty, Chris Dreja and Jimmy Page

Tracklisting
LIVE AT ANDERSON THEATER
Train Kept A Rollin’
Mr, You’re A Better Man Than I
Heart Full of Soul
Dazed And Confused
My Baby
Over Under Sideways Down
Drinking Muddy Water
Shapes of Things
White Summer
I’m A Man (contains Moanin’ And Sobbin’)

STUDIO SKETCHES
Avron Knows
Spanish Blood
Knowing That I’m Losing You (Tangerine)
Taking A Hold On Me
Drinking Muddy Water (Version Two)
My Baby
Avron’s Eyes
Spanish Blood (Instr.)

Pre-order open now
Release date: 5th November 2017
Available exclusively via JimmyPage.com

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 25, 2017 21:39

Nice , I will be adding this to my collection .smoking smiley

Date: August 25, 2017 21:56

So now Jimmy is toiling away at rediscovering and remastering pre-Led Zeppelin material.
Just when he's about to record his new album and/or tour, his priorities get confused and/or he gets cold feet...his new aalbum should be titled 'Procrastination"

"oh wait, I found this gem from the vaults...I'll get back to work on my new album tomorrow..."

Decades later....

Oh well, should be a nice addition to the collection! thumbs up

Date: August 25, 2017 22:01

Haha exactly what I thought! Never put it past Jimmy Page to "dig something out and tirelessly remix and remaster it for absolute perfect sound quality" as opposed to actually creating something new. Guy seems to be frozen by fear. Never has to do another thing in his life and we'll all still call him a genius, but good lord man aren't you tired of listening to your same old stuff? High on the list of people that clearly love themselves. I wish he even just did sit down interviews at colleges or something and talked about the same old stuff, as opposed to just constantly putting it out on CD.

Oh well. It is hilarious though when something "new" from Jimmy Page comes out cause its always worded the exact same way. I'm always pretty surprised we don't have more official live audio stuff from Zeppelin. He could milk the different tours and really doesn't.

Date: August 25, 2017 22:52

There are some great live shows from '75 that I have on very high quality bootleg, and would be very happy to see them officially released. Same with some '78 shows, and the Knebworth '79 show...or wait ...maybe these have already been officially remastered/released...I've lost track at this point. winking smiley

On a positive note, at least he's still alive and well and doing this all under his own terms vs. some company that would milk it beyond death (Experience Hendrix/Janie Hendrix comes to mind). Glad he takes pride in what he does, but might be nice to see something new some day. In the meantime, looking forward to this "new" Yardbirds release...glimpses and shades of the greatness that would eventually fully come to fruition with Led Zeppelin.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2017 01:42

stonehearted
treaclefingers
Maybe because fans have accepted there will be no LED ZEPPELIN in the future, they're more willing to accept a solo RP whereas MJ was never given that latitude.
Fans would have accepted it if the Stones had broken up in 1969 after Brian died. But that's never been the case -- if one member dies, replace him. Either you're a band or a brand. In 1969, Mick and the boys chose.

Not sure if I entirely agree. AC/DC did it pretty successfully. I think Mick's time to have gone solo would have been right after Some Girls...still young and at the top of the music heap.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 2, 2017 20:52

Bones of Saints.

Another new Plant song...I dig it:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 2, 2017 22:45

Hairball
There are some great live shows from '75 that I have on very high quality bootleg, and would be very happy to see them officially released.Same with some '78 shows...

Guess Jimmy will contact you for those legendary '78 shows...smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home