Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 22, 2017 17:51

So Plant says 'Page needs a good rest'.
Good one, Roger!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 22, 2017 20:09

rattler2004
I count my self fortunate to have seen Led Zeppelin, thanks to an older brother in stationed in Germany and a well timed summer visit in 1980. I don’t recall much about the show , other than the lasting memory of how loud it was, how the my chest pounded with every bass drum beat...I’ve got a soundboard bootleg from the show in Frankfurt. Never saw Page in the 80s, I did see Plant on his first two US tours...the second one was the show following Led Zeppein’s appearence at Live Aid...we had all hoped that Page would join him onstage in Cleveland, but it wasn’t to be.

Didn’t manage to see the Page & Plant first tour, but did catch a blistering show on their second tour in ‘98.

Ahhh you lucky dog! thumbs up

I was so close but yet so far away from seeing them in 1977...in fact it was this close >!eye popping smiley<.
My older brother had a spare ticket for me for one of the L.A. Forum shows, but I was living in Arizona attending school for the year. Being only 13 at the time, it didn't dawn on me how BIG this opportunity was, so I bided my time in the heat of the desert thinking there would be another opportunity in the future. Had I known how history played out, I would have crawled across the desert all the way to the Forum just to be there, but alas not meant to be. Ironically, of the ten or so albums I brought with me to Arizona, Physical Graffiti and Presence were among them (along with Some Girls, Hendrix, Beatles,etc.). Similar story with Bob Marley at the Roxy in L.A., 1979, but I was actually in town when that happened. My brother had a spare ticket, but I opted not to go as was attending a high school party with a bunch of friends that was weeks in the planning. Thought there would be another opportunity to see him eventually, but sadly that's not how history played out. Regrets, I've had a few...uugghhh...

Lol

I also saw Plant solo a couple of times in the mid '80's, but thought those shows were sort of ho hum...it was incredible to actually see him on stage for the first time though just to be in his presence (similar to Page at the ARMS benefit), but definitely lacking in several ways.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 23, 2017 18:12

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 23, 2017 19:42

I just keep on celebration day DVD to get ZEP fix. For Your Life is just awesome that JP riff is sonic. play over and over. Just watch Sticky Fingers first so you have no let down and then watch celebration day. LOL

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 23, 2017 20:53

Lol I love how abundantly clear Robert makes it for people yet many still "hold out hope". You aren't actually reading then. I agree with OpenG, pop in Celebration Day if you want the fix. Suits it well and is a fitting farewell. Just got finished listening to Robert's interview with Howard Stern. Good stuff and its good to know he's still on good terms with the rest of the band. To me thats better than a reunion since Zeppelin won't live up to 70s Zeppelin or the Zeppelin of 10 years ago.

"Hold hands and contact the living." grinning smiley I love this guy.

Date: October 23, 2017 21:41

I would guess that another live gig with RP will never happen. To many moving parts but I have a pipe dream another record with Jason B. RP is always preaching about new material new horizons and all the zen stuff. I would guess Jimmy Page these days does not have great material to offer or RP would jump on it.

Date: October 24, 2017 00:09

Sounds like he's simply tired of being asked the same questions.
There's nothing written in the books that says they couldn't possibly do another one off concert if the reasons were right - be it a tribute, a benefit, or what have you.
Nothing says Plant won't ever change his mind (as people do), yet some are so firm in their negative/cynicism it comes across as a bit narrow.
Nobody would have ever guessed Live Aid would happen.
Nobody would have guessed the Atlanta Records Celebration would happen.
Nobody would have guessed the O2 show would happen. Etc., etc., etc.
While all three of them are still alive and roaming the earth, never say never!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-24 00:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 24, 2017 09:55

And in the meantime Plant has a great new solo album.

(Also--my usual complaint about the title of this thread. Why can't it just be Led Zeppelin News, like the Dylan thread etc.? People can still post about plagiarism, if they feel they must.)

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 24, 2017 10:52

Aquamarine
(Also--my usual complaint about the title of this thread. Why can't it just be Led Zeppelin News, like the Dylan thread etc.? People can still post about plagiarism, if they feel they must.)

Haha, yes, it's about time bv fixes it. smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 24, 2017 13:22

Yes get rid of Plagiarism from the title please .

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 24, 2017 20:29

Blasting the LA Forum 3-27-75 boot...good to have the rest of the week off and beautiful Autumn weather....

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: October 24, 2017 20:42

Presence - My Fav Zep album.

[www.youtube.com]

just awesome - JP pulls out his black LP.

Date: October 24, 2017 21:38

Heard Presence once again this week. Still think everything besides the fantastic Achilles and Fault are terrible. Hey, glad everyone likes different things! Its the only album of theirs I truly feel is worthless. I'll admit I like For Your Life a bit better live, and the good 15 minutes in it are among their best but just have never been able to get into this album.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 24, 2017 22:06

TheGreek
Yes get rid of Plagiarism from the title please .

There, I fixed it. smoking smiley

Date: October 24, 2017 22:25

There is only Robert Plant on vocals and everyone else.

JP and Black Crowes

Chris gives it his best shot.

Nobody's Fault Of Mine
[www.youtube.com]

Ten Years Gone

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 24, 2017 22:45

OpenG

[www.youtube.com]

After Physical Graffiti, Presence it is. thumbs up

rattler2004
Blasting the LA Forum 3-27-75 boot...good to have the rest of the week off and beautiful Autumn weather....

I don't know where you're at with "beautiful autumn weather" but I'm an hour north of Los Angeles near the coast, and we're in the midst of another nasty scorching heatwave - currently 99°F. eye popping smiley

Trying to listen to some tunes on my headphones at home, and it's actually quite a chore:

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-24 22:54 by Hairball.

Date: October 24, 2017 23:46

Besides Jaco Pastorius on bass have you ever heard such a great bass line throughout an entire rock song - I nominate the lemon song. Insane JPJ

A great example of why LED was great - all 4 instruments stretched their own voices and you can listen to all 4 instruments and no one dominates each others space.

[www.youtube.com]

How about a drummer playing a drum riff and playing along with JP
[www.youtube.com]

How about a drummer playing triplets on GTBT
[www.youtube.com]

How about a drummer playing laid back accents
[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 25, 2017 01:29

Hairball
OpenG

[www.youtube.com]

After Physical Graffiti, Presence it is. thumbs up

rattler2004

I don't know where you're at with "beautiful autumn weather" but I'm an hour north of Los Angeles near the coast, and we're in the midst of another nasty scorching heatwave - currently 99°F. eye popping smiley

Trying to listen to some tunes on my headphones at home, and it's actually quite a chore:

winking smiley

Sunny and clear, low to mid-70s here in San Antonio.

Date: October 25, 2017 01:35

RollingFreak
Heard Presence once again this week. Still think everything besides the fantastic Achilles and Fault are terrible. Hey, glad everyone likes different things! Its the only album of theirs I truly feel is worthless. I'll admit I like For Your Life a bit better live, and the good 15 minutes in it are among their best but just have never been able to get into this album.

It only has seven tracks. It wasn’t exactly a planned recording, they were planning on continuing their tour, but Plant was in an auto accident and broke his foot. So to say that it wasn’t fully fleshed out, compared to their previous releases, is an understatement.

They didn’t have anything close to a wealth of song ideas...beyond the two you mentioned, the rest of the songs seem to have grown out of jam sessions...which when you consider they recorded this whole album in 2-3 weeks stands at a testament to how tight they were as a band at the time...which is the reason Page thought the idea of recording was a good one in the first place.

Odd that you don’t think much of Hots on for Nowhere, especially with Bonham’s stellar drumming in this number.

But to each their own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-25 01:40 by rattler2004.

Date: October 25, 2017 02:02

Not to mention Royal Orleans - pretty much a perfect Zeppelin tune imo. From the blasting opening riff, to Bonham playing right in the pocket throughout, to Plant wailing away, and then right after Page's tasty solo when that little guitar line at 1:55 meshes with the main riff and grooves like a corkscrew...what's not to like? I remember when Presence came out and cranking it to 11 from start to finish nearly 24/7 for probably an entire month or more, and it ended up becoming a huge part of the soundtrack for the summer of '76. To be clear though, I can't be objective at all when discussing this - it's ingrained to the core. Just hard to imagine someone who likes Led Zeppelin in any way, shape, or form calling this album "terrible" or "worthless". Hmmm...I find that very strange...but to each their own...

Date: October 25, 2017 02:40

Yeah, never understood why I don't like it. Actually I do, I just feel its completely undercooked. All the songs basically go nowhere for me and feel like filler. But yeah, I know the context of the record and don't hold it against them in any way. Just never been my style record, even up to 2 days ago. I just hear stuff like Royal Orleans and Hots On For Nowhere and can't get to the skip button fast enough. Tea For One literally almost puts me to sleep. Especially in relation to In Through The Out Door, which I find far better and a more worthwhile effort. But hey, its the only album of theirs I never got. Can't say much else and it'll just sound like going in circles.

Date: October 25, 2017 16:27

RollingFreak
Yeah, never understood why I don't like it. Actually I do, I just feel its completely undercooked. All the songs basically go nowhere for me and feel like filler. But yeah, I know the context of the record and don't hold it against them in any way. Just never been my style record, even up to 2 days ago. I just hear stuff like Royal Orleans and Hots On For Nowhere and can't get to the skip button fast enough. Tea For One literally almost puts me to sleep. Especially in relation to In Through The Out Door, which I find far better and a more worthwhile effort. But hey, its the only album of theirs I never got. Can't say much else and it'll just sound like going in circles.

They did throw a couple of curve balls in their time...for me, and I mean just for me the one song I never cared for is In The Light, years ago I heard the unreleased song In The Morning...later released in the companion discs as Everybody Makes It Through. I always preferred the unreleased version over In The Light.

So for In Through The Out Door, what are your thoughts on Hot Dog? A song that gets a lot of criticism.

Date: October 25, 2017 16:38

rattler2004
So for In Through The Out Door, what are your thoughts on Hot Dog? A song that gets a lot of criticism.
Fun little honky tonk song that by no means would I say is one of their best but I like that they genuinely went with it and I always enjoyed it. I personally prefer them really going for it with something unexpected like that than the plodding riffs of Presence that seem to go nowhere, but again thats just me. I think Plant does great on Hot Dog, I think the vocals and harmonies on the chorus are great. I personally think the low descending notes at the end of every line in the verses are great (I'm not a musical guy so I don't know how to accurately describe it but what JPJ is doing on the piano or bass). I think Page does a great unique solo. Again, its far from my favorite song but I think its great and representative of that album. It was a bit different but every song felt like they really went for it and were fully formed. Fool In The Rain, South Bound Saurez, I think they're all really great.

They definitely have songs I don't like. Almost every album, without fail, has a song I never enjoyed. The only one that doesn't is Led Zeppelin II which is why its my favorite. Black Mountainside, while short and hardly critical, I never NEEDED. Hats Off To Roy Harper is the only one on III I never got into. I never got into Four Sticks but think the rest of that album is great. The Crunge has always been beyond terrible to me. I never got into The Wanton Song. Carouselambra is IMO the worst song they ever made, but the album surrounding it I think is excellent. Yeah, they always had one song I never fully got into, particularly those ones that were a riff like The Crunge or Wanton or Carouselambra and felt the song was built around that and never really goes anywhere and the lyrics end up being lazy. In The Light took me time now I love it, particularly the chorus and Page's (I think) arpeggioing riff there. Same with Sick Again on Physical Graffiti. Used to not care for it now its arguably one of my favorites from the record with that great riff and incredible Bonham drumming.

Date: October 25, 2017 16:44

I like Presence to an extent, but I'll have to agree with RollingFreak.

What bothers me the most is the lack of melodies in most of the songs. Some of the stuff Plant does is borderline rubbish, imo.

But the band interplay sounds great.

Achilles and Nobody's Fault are great songs. The sound on the album is awful, though.

Date: October 25, 2017 17:33

Just about to watch Celebration Day to cap off this week of Zeppelin promoted by Robert's interview on Howard Stern.

"Thats the kind of thing you saw and heard..." right into this:

[www.youtube.com]

That will never not bring a tear to my eye. I LOVE that this band finally had their formal, professional, kick ASS closing of their history. These guys are just musicians, its all just music, but it means so very much to all of us, that a @#$%& kick drum intro and can stir up so much emotion in me.

Date: October 25, 2017 19:04

Like a four headed monster - hypnotic...almost going off the rails at times yet keeping the machine-like groove the entire nine minutes.
Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot (Live at Earls Court, 1975)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 25, 2017 19:31

Could have been a nice vid... but who edited it? An epileptic person? There's not a single shot in the whole vid that lasts more than a 1/4 second. My head hurt watching this one...

Date: October 25, 2017 19:42

dcba

Could have been a nice vid... but who edited it? An epileptic person? There's not a single shot in the whole vid that lasts more than a 1/4 second. My head hurt watching this one...

Lol yeah a bit erratic...but it sort of matches the ferocity of the tune and performance itself. Usually not a fan of that type of fast editing, but seems appropriate here.
Anyhow, I was posting for the audio itself rather than the video. I've had a audio boot of this show long before any videos were available (for me anyways), and it's probably best to listen to rather than watch.

Date: October 25, 2017 20:22

Trampled Underfoot one of the few songs I didn't like studio wise (too dancey) but live they crushed it. Here, at the reunion, always thought it worked so much better live. That one from the Zep 2002 DVD that you posted is indeed fantastic, editing aside.

Date: October 25, 2017 22:25

dcba

The original video tape filmed in 1975 and stored until 200/2001 had to be baked to even be able to play...somewhere along the way, in storage or in the baking the tape was damaged...so the quick edits are an attempt to match the visual with the audio...if you look you’ll notice quite a few re-used shots with some effects added here an there...sort of like the squeaking pedal in Since I’ve Been Loving You, once you take. Ire, you can’t help but notice.

Hot Dog, I always liked, although it gets panned a lot...quirkie Honky Tonk filtered through an English Blues Based rock band.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home