Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 2, 2017 23:23

if zep have stole so many songs, why have they gotten away with it.

if its illegal.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 2, 2017 23:46

RollingFreak
Haha exactly what I thought! Never put it past Jimmy Page to "dig something out and tirelessly remix and remaster it for absolute perfect sound quality" as opposed to actually creating something new. Guy seems to be frozen by fear. Never has to do another thing in his life and we'll all still call him a genius, but good lord man aren't you tired of listening to your same old stuff? High on the list of people that clearly love themselves. I wish he even just did sit down interviews at colleges or something and talked about the same old stuff, as opposed to just constantly putting it out on CD.

Oh well. It is hilarious though when something "new" from Jimmy Page comes out cause its always worded the exact same way. I'm always pretty surprised we don't have more official live audio stuff from Zeppelin. He could milk the different tours and really doesn't.

I mostly agree, though I don't think it's that he loves himself so much as that he loves his old band and really doesn't want to be involved in anything else. If Plant agreed to work with him again, in any capacity, I think the chances for new music would rise exponentially. But he won't.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 3, 2017 03:22

Aquamarine
RollingFreak
Haha exactly what I thought! Never put it past Jimmy Page to "dig something out and tirelessly remix and remaster it for absolute perfect sound quality" as opposed to actually creating something new. Guy seems to be frozen by fear. Never has to do another thing in his life and we'll all still call him a genius, but good lord man aren't you tired of listening to your same old stuff? High on the list of people that clearly love themselves. I wish he even just did sit down interviews at colleges or something and talked about the same old stuff, as opposed to just constantly putting it out on CD.

Oh well. It is hilarious though when something "new" from Jimmy Page comes out cause its always worded the exact same way. I'm always pretty surprised we don't have more official live audio stuff from Zeppelin. He could milk the different tours and really doesn't.

I mostly agree, though I don't think it's that he loves himself so much as that he loves his old band and really doesn't want to be involved in anything else. If Plant agreed to work with him again, in any capacity, I think the chances for new music would rise exponentially. But he won't.
Agreed. Page has never struck me as being arrogant or in love with himself, which is a completely ridiculous assertion.

And let's also be clear: the man didn't have to do a damn thing after Zeppelin disbanded to be considered a genius who is one of the most important, towering figures in the history of rock music. Anything he's done since is simply gravy.

Date: September 3, 2017 04:00

buttons67

if its illegal.

they haven't they have been sued multiple times and usually settle out of court

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 3, 2017 04:12

keefriffhard4life
buttons67

if its illegal.

Or they win the copyright lawsuit against them as was recent case with Stairway to Heaven

Date: September 3, 2017 04:20

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
buttons67

if its illegal.

Or they win the copyright lawsuit against them as was recent case with Stairway to Heaven

thats the only one i can recall that they "won" and by win it was thrown out and never went to trial correct?

Date: September 3, 2017 04:24

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
buttons67

if its illegal.

thats the only one i can recall that they "won" and by win it was thrown out and never went to trial correct?

It was won.

"Led Zeppelin have won a copyright lawsuit that claimed they had plagiarized the music to their most celebrated song, "Stairway to Heaven." A Los Angeles jury determined Thursday that the lawyer representing the estate of late guitarist Randy Wolfe, who played with the group Spirit, did not prove that the hard rockers lifted the song's intro from Spirit's 1968 instrumental "Taurus."'

"We are grateful for the jury's conscientious service and pleased that it has ruled in our favor, putting to rest questions about the origins of 'Stairway to Heaven' and confirming what we have known for 45 years," members Jimmy Page and Robert Plant said in a statement. " We appreciate our fans' support and look forward to putting this legal matter behind us."

Stairway to Winning

Date: September 3, 2017 04:53

ok still. they have lost or settled out of court at least 5 other lawsuits

Re: OT: General news for all Led Zeppelin members (band and solo)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2017 08:03

One of my favourite Plant albums still is Pictures at Eleven and love Burning Down One Side...yes it was 80s but maybe a bit early in the decade to sound '80's?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 3, 2017 23:02

So to some up 22 pages. They ripped people off but they were still great

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 3, 2017 23:28

treaclefingers
One of my favourite Plant albums still is Pictures at Eleven and love Burning Down One Side...yes it was 80s but maybe a bit early in the decade to sound '80's?

I always thought Burning Down One Side was a continuation of the sound/approach LZ were using on In Through The Outdoor, like it could have been a sister song to In The Evening, with the big guitar riff and the vocal sound/melody similar in approach as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a song left over from those sessions but never recorded. When else has a Robert Plant solo song started out with such a big, catchy power chord guitar riff, like the kind JP would play?

Date: September 4, 2017 04:19

treaclefingers

plants solo career is underrated

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 4, 2017 10:34

shortfatfanny
Hairball
There are some great live shows from '75 that I have on very high quality bootleg, and would be very happy to see them officially released.Same with some '78 shows...

Guess Jimmy will contact you for those legendary '78 shows...smoking smiley

...yes, I would love yo know all about those '78 shows, must be a real hidden treasuredrinking smiley

Date: September 4, 2017 11:00

BluzDude
shortfatfanny
Hairball
There are some great live shows from '75 that I have on very high quality bootleg, and would be very happy to see them officially released.Same with some '78 shows...

Guess Jimmy will contact you for those legendary '78 shows...smoking smiley

...yes, I would love yo know all about those '78 shows, must be a real hidden treasuredrinking smiley

winking smiley

'77

Date: September 6, 2017 05:34

keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers

plants solo career is underrated

You're probably right...the fact that he's still killing it both on stage and on recordings says a lot.

Date: September 6, 2017 05:36

stonehearted
treaclefingers

I always thought Burning Down One Side was a continuation of the sound/approach LZ were using on In Through The Outdoor, like it could have been a sister song to In The Evening, with the big guitar riff and the vocal sound/melody similar in approach as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a song left over from those sessions but never recorded. When else has a Robert Plant solo song started out with such a big, catchy power chord guitar riff, like the kind JP would play?

Good observation...I know it's not a popular observation, but liked the direction that In Through The Out Door took. I think Zep could have evolved well into the next decade. Great to at least have had Plant solo.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 07:07

treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers

Good observation...I know it's not a popular observation, but liked the direction that In Through The Out Door took. I think Zep could have evolved well into the next decade. Great to at least have had Plant solo.

Totally agree that In Through The Out Door is underrated; some really good stuff on that record. But while it contains some seeds of promise as to how Zepp might have navigated the future, there was also enough sub-par material to make you worry about what that future might have looked like.

Date: September 6, 2017 07:48

After the guitar driven Presence album, I was anxiously awaiting for In Through the Outdoor, but ultimately was in for a big letdown. Aside from In the Evening, I'm Gonna Crawl, and to a lesser extent Fool in the Rain (when it's played on the radio), I don't listen to any of it any more. The synthesizer of Carouselambra sounds truly dated to my ears, and reminds me of the soundtrack to a Rocky or Star Wars movie c.79. All of Your Love is similar to the Stones' Streets of Love in that it is totally out of left field and doesn't really reflect anything about the band - I can imagine it as a Plant solo tune though. Southbound Suarez is as bad as it gets, while Hot Dog is like a rehearsal outtake demo totally out of place amidst the rest of the synth driven material (though it does has some great guitar playing by Page).

From Guitar World magazine 1998:

GW: I thought maybe you were losing your enthusiasm for the band.

Page: Never. Never. In fact, Bonzo [i.e. drummer John Bonham] and I had already started discussing plans for a hard-driving rock album after that. We both felt that In Through the Out Door was a little soft. I was not really very keen on "All My Love". I was a little worried about the chorus. I could just imagine people doing the wave and all of that. And I thought, 'That is not us. That is not us.' In its place it was fine, but I would not have wanted to pursue that direction in the future.

From Mojo 2004:

"we wanted, after In Through the Out Door, to make something hard-hitting and riff-based again. Of course, we never got to make that album."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 07:49 by Hairball.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 6, 2017 13:14

I wish Page would open up the vaults and release live shows in audio/video .I would buy them up as fast as they released them .

Posted by: marko ()
Date: September 7, 2017 09:37

Whats the latest soundboard bootleg?

Posted by: breadfan ()
Date: September 7, 2017 09:53

marko
Whats the latest soundboard bootleg?

Led Zeppelin 1975-03-21 Seattle "Deus Ex Machina" (EVSD)

Date: September 7, 2017 10:55

Aah that one again smiling smiley I´ve been hoping that another San diego would finally come out on SBD i think the date was march 10th? An audience bootleg named Symphony in thousands part is available so far..

Posted by: breadfan ()
Date: September 7, 2017 17:00

the soundboard from 1975-03-21 is brand new, you are right no soundboard from the 10th only audience, the symphony title is on the TDOLZ label.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: September 8, 2017 04:35

What was the date of San Diego- was it like 3/15 or 3/17? If so I'm pretty sure it was released when they were putting out 75 soundboards every few months.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 8, 2017 07:39

Hairball
After the guitar driven Presence album, I was anxiously awaiting for In Through the Outdoor, but ultimately was in for a big letdown. Aside from In the Evening, I'm Gonna Crawl, and to a lesser extent Fool in the Rain (when it's played on the radio), I don't listen to any of it any more. The synthesizer of Carouselambra sounds truly dated to my ears, and reminds me of the soundtrack to a Rocky or Star Wars movie c.79. All of Your Love is similar to the Stones' Streets of Love in that it is totally out of left field and doesn't really reflect anything about the band - I can imagine it as a Plant solo tune though. Southbound Suarez is as bad as it gets, while Hot Dog is like a rehearsal outtake demo totally out of place amidst the rest of the synth driven material (though it does has some great guitar playing by Page).

From Guitar World magazine 1998:

GW: I thought maybe you were losing your enthusiasm for the band.

Page: Never. Never. In fact, Bonzo [i.e. drummer John Bonham] and I had already started discussing plans for a hard-driving rock album after that. We both felt that In Through the Out Door was a little soft. I was not really very keen on "All My Love". I was a little worried about the chorus. I could just imagine people doing the wave and all of that. And I thought, 'That is not us. That is not us.' In its place it was fine, but I would not have wanted to pursue that direction in the future.

From Mojo 2004:

"we wanted, after In Through the Out Door, to make something hard-hitting and riff-based again. Of course, we never got to make that album."

I love the Stones and am not a fan of Led Zeppelin, even though I do like some of their things and appreciate much of the playing. However, I wish “Streets of Love” was a tenth as good as “All My Love.” At least it is a real wave song.

Date: September 8, 2017 09:41

bigmac7895
What was the date of San Diego- was it like 3/15 or 3/17? If so I'm pretty sure it was released when they were putting out 75 soundboards every few months.

They did 2 shows in San Diego 1975

March 10th:audience recording exist
March 14thconfused smileyoundboard recording exist

Its been a while since i listened Zeppelin,about 5-6years,the thing is that i´ve been listening them since 1985 or so,stones even longer since 1980(i was 9 then)

I know zepplin was a bit of a high school band,but after all these years they indeed were hell of a players,to me typical British combo from their era,even Keith likes pages playing(well who doesnt).

Going thru now Landover march 10th,soundboard not a very good show,plants voice is almost completely gone so others need back him up,no quarter was great through.

Date: September 8, 2017 10:25

Landover was february 10th not march 10th smiling smiley

Date: September 16, 2017 23:59

LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers

Totally agree that In Through The Out Door is underrated; some really good stuff on that record. But while it contains some seeds of promise as to how Zepp might have navigated the future, there was also enough sub-par material to make you worry about what that future might have looked like.

OK, I'll take the bait. Let's dissect this baby.
Fool in the Rain and In The Evening I absolutely love.
All My Love - great, but like Angie I don't find myself wanting to listen to it anymore.
South Bound Saurez and Hot Dog interesting...Hot Dog just for Plant's vocal.
I'm Gonna Crawl I need to be in the mood for, which is not that often.
Carouselambra just needs to be shortened a bit, say by about 9 minutes.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 17, 2017 06:52

treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers

OK, I'll take the bait. Let's dissect this baby.
Fool in the Rain and In The Evening I absolutely love.
All My Love - great, but like Angie I don't find myself wanting to listen to it anymore.
South Bound Saurez and Hot Dog interesting...Hot Dog just for Plant's vocal.
I'm Gonna Crawl I need to be in the mood for, which is not that often.
Carouselambra just needs to be shortened a bit, say by about 9 minutes.

Here are the completely unfair and ludicrously arbitrary letter-grades I'd assign to each of those; based on not a sliding scale but on a comparison to Zepp's own standards. For me, only "In the Evening" could have cracked the first 5 records. "Fool" and "Suarez" mighta squeezed on to either Physical Graffitti or Presence ... maybe. The rest of 'em could only have appeared on In Through the Out Door imho.

Fool -- B-
In the Evening -- A-
All My Love -- C+
South Bound Suarez -- B-
Hot Dog -- C-
I'm Gonna Crawl -- C-
Carouselambra -- D-

Date: September 17, 2017 10:39

Page can barely play on that album, and that country-tune is LZ at their nadir.

However, there is a lot of interesting input from Jones (in particular) and Plant that makes this album stand out in a different way. I like it, but mostly for its weirdness. The songs are hard to grasp as entities, but there is interesting stuff going on within them.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1581
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home