Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: September 12, 2016 18:49

Jimmy took the composer's credit for this traditional number too:

From Wikipedia:

>>>>>

"White Summer" is a guitar instrumental by English rock guitarist Jimmy Page, which incorporates Indian and Arabic musical influences.[1] It was initially recorded and performed with the Yardbirds and later included in many Led Zeppelin concerts. According to biographer Keith Shadwick, it is based on an old Irish folk song, "specifically derived from 'She Moved Through the Fair' in the 1963 version by [Davy] Graham, which he in turn credited to Padraic Colum".[1][2] The later Led Zeppelin song "Over the Hills and Far Away" was "spun off"[3] from "White Summer" as well as an unreleased 20-minute instrumental recorded in early 1974 at Headley Grange.[4]

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 12, 2016 18:51

Hairball
BroomWagon
Presence came out 40 years ago; here is an interesting article.

[www.businessinsider.com]

After Physical Graffiti, this is my favorite Zep album.
And Achilles Last Stand is on my top 5 list of greatest Zep tunes - and top 20 (or 30) of greatest rock tunes of all time.
It gallops along relentlessly like the four horsemen of the apocalypse during a stampede.
Page has said in the past that his favorite guitar solo ever (that he played) is on this tune.

Would love to hear the other top 19 (or 29) songs!smoking smiley

Agree about Achilles Last Stand. This is what Zep is all about - check out this Knebworth version: [www.youtube.com]

OT: General news for all Led Zeppelin members (band and solo)
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 18, 2017 21:04

Robert Plant will release his eleventh solo album, "Carry Fire", on October 13 via Nonesuch/Warner. The disc's lead track, "The May Queen", can be heard below.

The follow-up to 2014's "Lullaby And… The Ceaseless Roar" features Plant's backing band THE SENSATIONAL SHAPE SHIFTERS in their second appearance on record with the LED ZEPPELIN frontman.

"Carry Fire" includes a guest appearance by PRETENDERS vocalist Chrissie Hynde on a cover of "Bluebirds Over The Mountain", previously recorded by Ritchie Valens and THE BEACH BOYS.

Plant says: "It's about intention. I respect and relish my past works, but each time I feel the incentive to create new work, I must mix old with new. Consequently, the whole impetus of the band has moved on its axis somewhat — the new sound and different space giving way to exciting and dramatic landscapes of mood, melody and instrumentation."

"Carry Fire" track listing:

01. The May Queen
02. New World…
03. Season's Song
04. Dance With You Tonight
05. Carving Up The World Again
06. A Way With Words
07. Carry Fire
08. Bones Of Saints
09. Keep It Hid
10. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
11. Heaven Sent

Plant spoke to Relix magazine about his current music and how it connects to his early days in LED ZEPPELIN, explaining, "I want people to know I'm pulling points of reference from other times and other places — incongruous and out of step and kilter — into another world. I've done it with ZEPPELIN lyrics, as well — 'if the sun refused to shine' and 'the road remains the same' and all the shit. There's so many bits like that, because I like the idea of spinning the bottle. And if one or two people pick up on it, that's the justice — that's about right."

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-18 21:32 by keefriff99.

Re: OT: Plant / Page / Jones / Zep news
Date: August 18, 2017 21:04

I searched for the an old Zeppelin news thread, but it doesn't appear active anymore. If it's still around, apologies for the duplication.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 18, 2017 21:15

Nice song really.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 18, 2017 21:18

Heard the new tune last night, and just listened again...a bit boring as it meanders somewhat aimlessly.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 18, 2017 21:25

Lol so its really just Robert Plant news and not Plant/Page/Jones or general Zep news. But thats cool that he's still putting out music. But obviously people see the thread and assume this unrealistic fantasy for Zeppelin is finally getting closer.

Date: August 18, 2017 21:31

RollingFreak
Lol so its really just Robert Plant news and not Plant/Page/Jones or general Zep news. But thats cool that he's still putting out music. But obviously people see the thread and assume this unrealistic fantasy for Zeppelin is finally getting closer.
I was making a GENERAL thread for all current and former Zep member news...I know Bjornulf hates clutter. smoking smiley

Re: OT: General news for all Led Zeppelin members (band and solo)
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 18, 2017 21:43

Glad to hear. Not the world's biggest fan, but I'm pleased he's staying creative. If I could choose between decades of greatest hits tours and regular studio releases from artists that are prolific and inspired by their art, I would always go with the latter. Not where the money is and not my call, but again, happy for Zeppelin fans.

Date: August 18, 2017 22:03

Here's the original thread:

Led Zeppelin

But maybe this new thread should be solely about Robert Plant as he continually attempts to distance himself from Led Zeppelin and all that the band (and Jimmy Page) provided for him.
Without Zeppelin, don't think anyone would know or care who Robert Plant is.

Date: August 18, 2017 22:11

Hairball

Led Zeppelin

But maybe this new thread should be solely about Robert Plant as he continually attempts to distance himself from Led Zeppelin and all that the band (and Jimmy Page) provided for him.
Hmm. I did a search for "Zeppelin" and this thread didn't show up.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: August 19, 2017 00:25

Sounds like it has a Factory Girl vibe to it!?

Date: August 19, 2017 00:51

keefriff99
Hairball

Led Zeppelin

I think "Led Zeppelin" combined with "plagiarism" might have been key words for the search.
Also, when you do a search, at the bottom there are options for the time span - last 30 days, 90 days, last year, and finally all dates.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 19, 2017 00:51

U2Stonesfan
Sounds like it has a Factory Girl vibe to it!?
First thing I thought as well! Cool little track. It also obviously has similarities to Gallows Pole.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 19, 2017 00:59

Good for Robert; He tries so hard to move forward, not easy after such total iconic status. A good cat that one I think. Not that super into him but really respect and have enjoyed him immensely early on. Those Zep shows first trip over, promoting Zep 1 were fantastic. just fantastic. I rather do feel that by the time of that Song Remains The Same Film, as neat as it was as a document, that they wre very very far off the mark I saw in '69 when they were warming up for The Who in their prime, and nearly made it impossible for The Who to even follow them.

But being The Who; they came on respectful after a very very long intermission...and Pete came out actually applauding and started them up again with "LED ZEPPELIN!!!!"
An act of grace and courage if you ask me. And then, being The Who, well they just rocked like holy hell and it was powerful and blissful. Kinda hard to bitch about prime Zep 'warming up' for prime Who...that was a hell of a night.

He's done some real neat country and folk and other stuff. Good for him; kept his integrity and passion together; did not, after a bit anyway, what with Page/Plant concerts (never saw or heare any of those personally)...but for the most part; he buried the hatchet with Zep stuff and insisted on moving on; and did so w grace, heart and intelligence and I'm gonna follow up on him. He's a grand cat imo.

Date: August 19, 2017 01:29

Hairball
keefriff99
Hairball

Led Zeppelin

I think "Led Zeppelin" combined with "plagiarism" might have been key words for the search.
Also, when you do a search, at the bottom there are options for the time span - last 30 days, 90 days, last year, and finally all dates.
Ah! Forgot to change the search range. Thanks.

I'm sure bv will merge. Sorry for creating extra work!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 19, 2017 01:41

It`s very typical Robert Plant these days. -Too mellow to my taste. Where`s the lead guitar? Please do away with the Kashmir legacy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2017 01:45

.............for a start thought it was a cover of Factory Girl .... then I fell asleep

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 19, 2017 02:16

Speaking of news for other LZ band members, what ever happened to that 2016 tour Jimmy Page was planning? He was telling Guitar World that he was getting fit, putting together a new live band, and had plans to tour in 2016. He must not have revealed these plans to promoters...

[www.guitarworld.com]

...lately he's been saying that he hopes to hit the road in 2017...

[www.blabbermouth.net]

...and so on...

Date: August 19, 2017 03:29

stonehearted
Speaking of news for other LZ band members, what ever happened to that 2016 tour Jimmy Page was planning? He was telling Guitar World that he was getting fit, putting together a new live band, and had plans to tour in 2016. He must not have revealed these plans to promoters...

[www.guitarworld.com]

[www.blabbermouth.net]

...and so on...
It's almost like he's paralyzed by his past...he's having a hard time deciding on what to do artistically aside from being the primary curator of Zeppelin's considerable legacy.

Date: August 19, 2017 04:09

keefriff99
stonehearted

[www.guitarworld.com]

[www.blabbermouth.net]

...and so on...
It's almost like he's paralyzed by his past...he's having a hard time deciding on what to do artistically aside from being the primary curator of Zeppelin's considerable legacy.

This was from May:

David Coverdale Feels Sorry for Jimmy Page

“The saddest thing for me, and my dear, dear, dear beloved friend Jimmy Page,” he told Sweden Rock (via Blabbermouth), “I think one of the reasons he’s explored the Zeppelin catalog so significantly is because he can’t get the guys to commit to making a new record or touring.”

As Coverdale sees it, there’s a major difference between himself and Page in that Coverdale has a band together that is still able to move forward and make music. “Zeppelin’s his baby, as Whitesnake is mine” he continued, “but I’m very happy to say I have a fabulous fresh chapter of Whitesnake. I’m still a recording entity and I’m still a touring entity.”

Still, he’s come up with a perfectly viable solution that could put Page back in front of the public without resorting to his past. “I’ve recommended to him for years to do what Carlos Santana did with Supernatural. Jimmy’s got all these great songs. I said, ‘I’m there for you. I’ll do a couple of songs for you, without a doubt.’ I said, ‘Do something like Supernatural. At least you’re playing.’ It breaks my heart, ’cause he’s such a f—ing valuable musician. With what he’s already given to us, he doesn’t really owe us anything, but I just know that he’s still valid and relevant and can still play amazing guitar and write amazing songs. Where do you go after f—ing Led Zeppelin, dude? Where do you go?”

Read More: David Coverdale Feels Sorry for Jimmy Page | [ultimateclassicrock.com]
________________________________________________________________________________

The idea of a Santana style Supernatural would be better than nothing, even Robert Plant might lend his gifted vocals!
And then you have Paul Rogers, and maybe a duet/guitar dual with Clapton on vocals, and the list goes on.
Steve Winwood still has a great voice, maybe they could do a remake of Dear Mr. Fantasy which has always sounded a bit Zeppelin-esque ala Your Time is Gonna Come.
Jagger could sing a blues tune with him....and maybe Paul McCartney could sing a pop song...maybe even invite Ringo... winking smiley
Something like this would be better than nothing, and would no doubt be better than Robert Plant solo!!!

Date: August 19, 2017 04:51

Wow, very honest words from Coverdale. His assessment seems very accurate.

I feel so fortunate that I got to see Page and the Black Crowes back in '99. That was a great pairing, and Joe Perry came out onstage as a surprise for You Shook Me, which was completely mind-blowing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 19, 2017 07:58

saw Plant a few years ago touring the Band of Joy album. What an absolute treat...probably one of my favourite shows ever (up with every Stones concert I've ever seen, Paul McCartney in 2012, BB King in 86, REM in 87, U2 88).

He's approached his solo career in the way I wish Mick could. Maybe because fans have accepted there will be no LED ZEPPELIN in the future, they're more willing to accept a solo RP whereas MJ was never given that latitude.

But I think a good part of it has been the bad material...Wandering Spirit and Superheavy (ok, no need to sh*t all over me) the exceptions.

Date: August 19, 2017 08:13

keefriff99
Wow, very honest words from Coverdale. His assessment seems very accurate.

I feel so fortunate that I got to see Page and the Black Crowes back in '99. That was a great pairing, and Joe Perry came out onstage as a surprise for You Shook Me, which was completely mind-blowing.

For some reason I missed the Page/Black Crowes show, but heard it was great, and the cd seems to prove it was.

I've seen Page solo, Plant solo, Page/Plant, and the Firm w/Paul Rogers - all several times throughout the years. Probably the best was the Page/Plant shows back in '94, although seeing Page at the ARMS benefit in '83 was extremely great even though Page was really out of it. Out of all of them, the least favorites were the several solo Plant shows, and never had much interest in seeing him again. That said, I like some of his solo tunes better than anything Page has recorded on his own or with the Firm. I had the Coverdale/Page release on cassette when it was released in '93, but haven't listened to it since and couldn't name or even hum anything that was on it...totally forgettable.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 19, 2017 09:38

stonehearted

[www.guitarworld.com]

[www.blabbermouth.net]

...and so on...

He's been saying that for nearly 20 years now (there was an interview in I think Guitar Player in 2006 where he described his future plans in almost exactly the same words), and much as I would love for him to get out there and play-anything at all, with anybody)--I accepted years ago that it wasn't going to happen. .

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 19, 2017 10:29

treaclefingers
Maybe because fans have accepted there will be no LED ZEPPELIN in the future, they're more willing to accept a solo RP whereas MJ was never given that latitude.
Fans would have accepted it if the Stones had broken up in 1969 after Brian died. But that's never been the case -- if one member dies, replace him. Either you're a band or a brand. In 1969, Mick and the boys chose.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 19, 2017 11:47

I don't wanna be nitpicking, here -
but shouldn't the title of this thread read either "General news ABOUT all Led Zeppelin members (band and solo) "
ór "General news (band and solo) for all Led Zeppelin FANS "?

I mean: reading this one in the message list REALLY had me puzzled for a minute. confused smiley

Or do we really consider band, entourage & fans one big happy family... just like the Stones?! smoking smiley

Rest assured: I'll get me coat.

Date: August 19, 2017 14:33

I thunk Plant has done really well. IMO he hasn't really acted 'weighed down by the history of LZ" at all. He has never denied it either; did a couple appropriate reunions, but other than that he has been doing what a good musician does: he has continued to make music, write tunes, record albums, played shows. He has not stayed stagnant; tried to explore new ground etc.
Im sure some people don't like the type of stuff he cuts; and others wish he would remain that shrieking Led Zep Rockgod, but the one thing you can't deny him, is that he has stayed on a righteous path. I happen to like those last 4-5 albums of his.

Date: August 19, 2017 15:53

Palace Revolution 2000
I thunk Plant has done really well. IMO he hasn't really acted 'weighed down by the history of LZ" at all. He has never denied it either; did a couple appropriate reunions, but other than that he has been doing what a good musician does: he has continued to make music, write tunes, record albums, played shows. He has not stayed stagnant; tried to explore new ground etc.
Im sure some people don't like the type of stuff he cuts; and others wish he would remain that shrieking Led Zep Rockgod, but the one thing you can't deny him, is that he has stayed on a righteous path. I happen to like those last 4-5 albums of his.
I don't think anyone is claiming Plant is the one weighed down by the legacy of Zep. He's completely well-adjusted and his solo career proves that he's happy doing his own thing.

It's PAGE that we're all talking about being weighed down by Zep's legacy.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 19, 2017 16:18

keefriff99
Robert Plant will release his eleventh solo album, "Carry Fire", on October 13 via Nonesuch/Warner. The disc's lead track, "The May Queen", can be heard below.

Thanks for the heads-up, kr99--I was unaware this was coming.

While I am little underwhelmed by "The May Queen" (nice acoustic vibe but doesn't really pay off for me), I think Plant has done some amazing work in the past decade. From the Alison Krauss stuff to the wonderful Band of Joy to now the Space Shifters, Robert has been mining a pretty deep soulful seam.

Didn't really dig his poppier 80's solo stuff (when he was more successful as a solo artist than Mick and Keith COMBINED) but he seems to be into a really nice late-career renaissance and appears to be a guy who's stayed interested and creative well past most his peers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home