Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin - Plagiarism and other news
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2017 20:22

I was referring to this comment of yours as being cynical:

"The Stones hate Between The Buttons for the most part and they are wrong".

Why is someone's opinion wrong? Especially coming from the artists who created the work? Simply because you disagree with them? Does this make you right and everybody else wrong?

As for all of your citations above, sounds like you're probably reading too many articles and reviews and basing your opinions on that rather than allowing yourself to form your own opinion.

"Stephen Davies (author of Hammer Of The Gods) says (Presence) is his favourite, such is the divisive beauty of Led Zeppelin."
[www.nme.com]

Is Stephen Davis wrong in thinking that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-18 20:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2017 20:34

Hairball
I was referring to this comment of yours as being cynical:

"The Stones hate Between The Buttons for the most part and they are wrong".

Why is someone's opinion wrong? Especially coming from the artists who created the work? Simply because you disagree with them? Does this make you right and everybody else wrong?

As for all of your citations above, sounds like you're probably reading too many articles and reviews and basing your opinions on that rather than allowing yourself to form your own opinion.

"Stephen Davies (author of Hammer Of The Gods) says (Presence) is his favourite, such is the divisive beauty of Led Zeppelin."
[www.nme.com]

Is Stephen Davis wrong in thinking that?

Not at all. Thats been exactly my viewpoint as well. I looked up those opinions now, but they've been the one I've had for years now, decades. I question the artist because others use it to strength their arguments (as you did with Zep) when many times they are wrong too. If you don't like Between The Buttons and Satanic then them saying what they do strengthens your opinions. But if you love those albums, as I do, then what they say makes them sound stupid, even if they did create the music. THEY are the ones listening to too many reviews instead of forming their own opinions. If people liked those albums but they didn't they certainly wouldn't say that. Paul McCartney could never say he didn't like Sgt. Pepper's even if its how he really felt. No, he has to go with the legend.

Date: October 18, 2017 20:39

Again, it's a matter of you being cynical and skeptical, and not giving someone the benefit of the doubt.

"Paul McCartney could never say he didn't like Sgt. Pepper's even if its how he really felt".

And you know this as fact? Or is this just an assumption based on your own cynicism and skepticism?

Date: October 18, 2017 22:36

Lol I'm glad they played a Walter Becker song in the setlist!

(here I go sidestepping again...)

Date: October 19, 2017 07:00

Watched the Royal Albert Hall show from 69 tonight. @#$%&, what a show. What a band really young like that. Robert Plant is like 21, maybe 22 there! What a force. Definitely drags on at times, but when they are on man are they unstoppable. I've always had that DVD but never actually seen that early show in full I don't think. So much rawer than the later stuff that was a bit more put together and such. Those 4 guys made some incredible music.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 19, 2017 18:07

RollingFreak
Watched the Royal Albert Hall show from 69 tonight. @#$%&, what a show. What a band really young like that. Robert Plant is like 21, maybe 22 there! What a force. Definitely drags on at times, but when they are on man are they unstoppable. I've always had that DVD but never actually seen that early show in full I don't think. So much rawer than the later stuff that was a bit more put together and such. Those 4 guys made some incredible music.
On one of the most recent album rereleases they included a bonus CD of a live show from 1969 and I can not remember if it was Royal Albert Hall or the other place in London which the name escapes me and if this is the same show that you are talking about it is mind blowing good .Talk about at the top of their game ,and this is 1969 .If I remember correctly the open with Immigrant Song and they close with a stunning How Many More Times

Date: October 19, 2017 18:28

TheGreek
RollingFreak
On one of the most recent album rereleases they included a bonus CD of a live show from 1969 and I can not remember if it was Royal Albert Hall or the other place in London which the name escapes me and if this is the same show that you are talking about it is mind blowing good .Talk about at the top of their game ,and this is 1969 .If I remember correctly the open with Immigrant Song and they close with a stunning How Many More Times

LOL thats literally what I'm listening to right now. On the new reissue of Led Zep I they had a bonus disc of a live show from 1969 from Paris. I remember hearing it right when it came out (cause annoyingly in those reissues it was the ONLY one that came with a live counterpart) and I remember being pretty disappointed. Its Zeppelin, but its pretty sloppy Zeppelin, and jammy Zeppelin. I like that in doses, but its VERY raw (almost too much so for me). I much prefer the 72 and 73 releases in How The West Was Won and Song Remains The Same that are far tighter. Arguably they lose a bit of that club jammy feel, but I prefer that kind of show. Royal Albert Hall (which I was wrong is from 1970) I was seeing last night was a bit better than this 1969 one for me. Maybe cause it was visual, but I thought it was overall more engaging. The 1969 one I'm listening to again now is good, but I remember why I never thought I'd hear it again. Its just too jammy and raw for me, but its nice to have for historical context.

I so wish they released more live stuff from accompanying tours with the new reissues. I know there are a lot of bootlegs out there but I don't seek them out and it would have been cool to have live shows from each era cause they are all so different. Ironically the only one they came out with was just a bit too much for me. I'm hearing the 69 one and thinking how I'm so much more on the edge of my seat with How The West Was Won. It opens with Communication Breakdown (How The West opens with Immigrant Song). It is good though. I can't say they aren't killing it here, just a bit too jammy for my taste. Half of the set is Black Mountainside and Moby Dick soloing which is just too much for me lol!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 19, 2017 18:29

TheGreek
RollingFreak

1970. Immigrant song wasn't around in 1969.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 19, 2017 19:23

I’m surprised a dumbass like Stephen Davis would even understand Presence,if past performance is any indication it’s someone else’s opinion and he stole it.
Presence is a scary good album,the only problem is the cover art.They stayed with Hipgnosis too long and it ended up in spinal tap land.

If the cover of Exile was a picture of pink bunny rabbits it would lose its luster a bit too.i wish everyone could’ve seen them do Achilles or nobodies fault but mine live.it was almost frightening.to this day i’ve never heard anything like it,a sound every hard rock band tries to get and end up with what Keith so eloquently described as a “thud”

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 19, 2017 20:29

roller99
TheGreek
RollingFreak

1970. Immigrant song wasn't around in 1969.

It was the Paris Theatre, London 1971 from the BBC Sessions album.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-19 20:31 by Deltics.

Date: October 19, 2017 21:13

RollingFreak
TheGreek
RollingFreak

LOL thats literally what I'm listening to right now. On the new reissue of Led Zep I they had a bonus disc of a live show from 1969 from Paris. I remember hearing it right when it came out (cause annoyingly in those reissues it was the ONLY one that came with a live counterpart) and I remember being pretty disappointed. Its Zeppelin, but its pretty sloppy Zeppelin, and jammy Zeppelin. I like that in doses, but its VERY raw (almost too much so for me). I much prefer the 72 and 73 releases in How The West Was Won and Song Remains The Same that are far tighter. Arguably they lose a bit of that club jammy feel, but I prefer that kind of show. Royal Albert Hall (which I was wrong is from 1970) I was seeing last night was a bit better than this 1969 one for me. Maybe cause it was visual, but I thought it was overall more engaging. The 1969 one I'm listening to again now is good, but I remember why I never thought I'd hear it again. Its just too jammy and raw for me, but its nice to have for historical context.

I so wish they released more live stuff from accompanying tours with the new reissues. I know there are a lot of bootlegs out there but I don't seek them out and it would have been cool to have live shows from each era cause they are all so different. Ironically the only one they came out with was just a bit too much for me. I'm hearing the 69 one and thinking how I'm so much more on the edge of my seat with How The West Was Won. It opens with Communication Breakdown (How The West opens with Immigrant Song). It is good though. I can't say they aren't killing it here, just a bit too jammy for my taste. Half of the set is Black Mountainside and Moby Dick soloing which is just too much for me lol!
The DVD you mention was a Boot ? I would love to have more live Zeppelin DVD's.The only Zeppelin live Boot I have is from Knebworth 1979 which is really good which was proshot and never released ,some places in the disc could have used cleaning up because of the stage lighting but over all pretty nice .

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: October 19, 2017 21:17

TheGreek
RollingFreak
TheGreek
RollingFreak

The DVD you mention was a Boot ? I would love to have more live Zeppelin DVD's.The only Zeppelin live Boot I have is from Knebworth 1979 which is really good which was proshot and never released ,some places in the disc could have used cleaning up because of the stage lighting but over all pretty nice .

You don't have the proshots(actually screen feeds like the two Knebworth shows) of both Earl's Court shows from '75 and Seattle '77?

Date: October 19, 2017 21:42

Mr.D
TheGreek
RollingFreak
TheGreek
RollingFreak

You don't have the proshots(actually screen feeds like the two Knebworth shows) of both Earl's Court shows from '75 and Seattle '77?
I wish I had both Earl's court shows and ditto for the Seattle Kingdom show from 1977 which I had a nosebleed ticket but I could not come up with the $ for airfare as I was only 16 in 1977 and my parents laughed at me when I asked them for the money to go with my friends here on the East Coast .Darn it .

Date: October 19, 2017 22:50

Nah, I don't have any bootleg DVDs. Just that official one they put out (the two disc one with the desert on the cover). Its got Royal Albert Hall 1970 on one disc then Disc 2 is some outtakes from 73 Song Remains The Same, Earls Court, Knebworth, and maybe one other show. Great stuff all around. Really well put together. That, Celebration Day, and the Song Remains The Same Movie are the only Zep DVDs I have.

Date: October 20, 2017 13:25

RollingFreak
Nah, I don't have any bootleg DVDs. Just that official one they put out (the two disc one with the desert on the cover). Its got Royal Albert Hall 1970 on one disc then Disc 2 is some outtakes from 73 Song Remains The Same, Earls Court, Knebworth, and maybe one other show. Great stuff all around. Really well put together. That, Celebration Day, and the Song Remains The Same Movie are the only Zep DVDs I have.
The same ones I have as well . I do have the remastered Song Remains the Same movie with all of the remaining footage from those shows which the original was culled from , so that's pretty nice .I just don't get the gold mine that Jimmy Page is sitting on and time is of an essence as none of us is getting any younger and for the life of me I do not get why Mr.Page and for that matter the Glimmer Twins are not mining the vaults for more live releases of shows on audio/video especially VIDEO ? What the heck is their problem and what the heck are they waiting for ? I am a most rabid collector of all of this stuff and to me it's money in the bank to sell this stuff and pad their bank accounts .Something like a live CD/DVD monthly club or quarterly club and start putting out shows .both Jimmy Page and Mick Jagger are so protective of their legacy's and so easily dismissive of the tinniest wart or hiccup for dare the public see or hear something that they do not wish us to see or hear .To me I want complete shows from start to finish with warts and all as they actually happened and I detest the cleaning up and editing of these shows .I will pay gladly for the product that I want and by them not doing this more frequently to me is a missed money maker for them .Rant over .

Date: October 20, 2017 16:17

Totally agree. Bruce Springsteen, to a certain extent, is the same way. I don't @#$%& get it. Your fanbase will be DEAD before you put most of this stuff out. Do it NOW! The remasters were the time to get some live stuff from Zep and Page took the laziest approach with bonus material for those. They clearly had almost nothing in the vault, yet he touted it like they did.

Date: October 20, 2017 16:40

RollingFreak
Totally agree. Bruce Springsteen, to a certain extent, is the same way. I don't @#$%& get it. Your fanbase will be DEAD before you put most of this stuff out. Do it NOW! The remasters were the time to get some live stuff from Zep and Page took the laziest approach with bonus material for those. They clearly had almost nothing in the vault, yet he touted it like they did.
Boss sells the downloads from the concerts which I have the last 2 E-Streets shows that I went to most recently .So that's pretty nice .

Date: October 20, 2017 16:59

TheGreek
RollingFreak
Boss sells the downloads from the concerts which I have the last 2 E-Streets shows that I went to most recently .So that's pretty nice .

I agree. He did get on the train eventually. I give credit to the Stones for some of the archive releases. There could be so much more but at least they're doing something. Zep has literally done very little, even though Page seems to masturbate to Zeppelin 24 hours a day as evidenced by how many times he's remastered the stuff. Maybe because there are so many good and complete bootlegs out there he doesn't feel the need, but there should be so much more official material from them.

Date: October 20, 2017 17:25

RollingFreak
TheGreek
RollingFreak

I agree. He did get on the train eventually. I give credit to the Stones for some of the archive releases. There could be so much more but at least they're doing something. Zep has literally done very little, even though Page seems to masturbate to Zeppelin 24 hours a day as evidenced by how many times he's remastered the stuff. Maybe because there are so many good and complete bootlegs out there he doesn't feel the need, but there should be so much more official material from them.
You just cracked me up about your comment about Page ,very funny . I do know there are boots galore out there but it's not the same as official stuff and I just wish they would open the damn vaults and just sell them A-La Carte .I would love at the very least from Led Zeppelin to have a official release on CD and DVD if possible from every tour .The Stones have given us something fro 69, 72,75, 78,81, which are pretty nice . Now we need stuff from 89, 94, 97 , and most certainly from The NO SECURITY TOUR from 1999 .Then bring on the Licks tour 2003, ditto for the A Bigger Bang tour ,then 2012,2013,2014,2015,2016 and 2017 lastly .Bring it on !

Date: October 20, 2017 18:51

Totally agree. As I said, I'm a major Springsteen fan and there are a TON of boots of his in fantastic quality. I've sought out very few. Which seems odd, cause if I love the guy so much and these clearly aren't coming out, I might as well find them myself. But I've never heard some of his most famous shows (Winterland 78 springs to mind, named maybe his best show ever) simply cause its never been put out officially. Maybe someday I'll listen to the bootlegs, but overall I am more inclined to just hear it when officially out. I never heard Brussels till it was out officially. Not saying I'm not stupid, I am, but there's something about it being out by the band that actually makes me take notice. People have been angry about Bruce's archives series because a lot of it is stuff we already had, but I never heard boots so luckily its all new for me!

I agree, these bands should all be putting out multiple stuff a year.

Date: October 20, 2017 19:51

[www.backstreets.com] Do you know about his fan site ? I was the same way as you about Brussels and I never had any desire to get the boot (probably because of quality issue if I am going to be honest ) and then I get the official release and it's one of my favorite live Stones to blast thru the big speakers at home ,because to me it's perfection along with Ladies and Gentleman DVD .

Date: October 20, 2017 21:59

TheGreek
[www.backstreets.com] Do you know about his fan site ? I was the same way as you about Brussels and I never had any desire to get the boot (probably because of quality issue if I am going to be honest ) and then I get the official release and it's one of my favorite live Stones to blast thru the big speakers at home ,because to me it's perfection along with Ladies and Gentleman DVD .

Haha yeah, very familiar. Cool place sometimes.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 21, 2017 00:39

RollingFreak

I own the same DVDs. The Royal Albert Hall performance from January 1970 is absolutely phenomenal IMHO, especially that version of How Many More Times....
.....2 old ladies sitting in the sand, each one wishing that the other is a man...

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 21, 2017 16:07

The ‘Companion’ discs are a let down...a few gems sprinkled among them, but hardly enough to justify....as far as anything new or unreleased.

As far as bootlegs, The Devil’s Blues: San Fransisco Filmore West April ‘69 is excellent. Raw and powerful.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: October 21, 2017 20:03

rattler2004
The ‘Companion’ discs are a let down...a few gems sprinkled among them, but hardly enough to justify....as far as anything new or unreleased.

As far as bootlegs, The Devil’s Blues: San Fransisco Filmore West April ‘69 is excellent. Raw and powerful.

If you're referring to the recent studio companion discs, yes I agree (the live Paris show for Zep 1 possible being an exception even though it was a bit redundant). The rest only have a few keepers, but most are interesting in a freak show kind of way...one or two listens is enough. Some are just remixes or alt. takes, and nothing much to write home about. Would have been nice to just do a Beatles style Anthology...have it all wrapped up in one package vs. milking every single thing found at the bottom of the barrel. I recall reading about Robert Plant as not being very impressed with it, and just found the link:

Plant dismisses Zep bonus tracks

“Nothing relevant” in remaster companion discs, says Robert

Robert Plant has dismissed the bonus material included with Led Zeppelin’s remaster series as “nothing relevant.”

Bandmate Jimmy Page spent the past few years remastering the band’s catalogue and adding companion discs to each title. He recently told TeamRock that the unreleased demos, early versions and live tracks were “so many treats,” adding: “People who love Led Zeppelin, who listen intently, are going to get so much out of this.”

But Plant – who just released solo album Lullaby And… The Ceaseless Roar – tells Billboard: “What you're hearing there is mostly work-in-progress stuff. Things on their way to completion, and maybe there's some little quirk or something that led to an either/or moment. But it's nothing relevant. Not to me, at least.”

The singer has continued to distanced himself from Led Zeppelin in recent months, after a war of words erupted over the chances of a reunion. In May he explained his desire to avoid returning to the band “circus.” The following month, after Page talked up the chances of working together again, Plant said his former bandmate needed “a good rest.”

He added: “We have a great history together – like all brothers we have these moments where we don't speak on the same page. But that's life.”

Seems sort of a kick in the teeth to Page who spent so much time working on and promoting all the Deluxe editions, but Plant has a point!

Date: October 21, 2017 22:45

Plant was right. The companion discs for the most part sucked and were unnecessarily and Page is a bit overstepping his bounds to always taunt a reunion. When Robert wants to do it, he can dangle the carrot. But Page shouldn't do it and have Plant be the bad guy. I agree with Robert, the moment is passed, but I sense a whole other argument coming and thats not what I'm in the mood to get into at the moment. This thread's been going nicely.

Date: October 22, 2017 00:43

Never say never...it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...

Date: October 22, 2017 07:03

Hairball

As great as the O2 was, if they do play the 2018 Desert Trip (which has been rumored) the only wildcard is Jimmy Page...Plant has been playing live regularly, Jason has been as well, JPJ is the consulate professional that I doubt he’d be out of shape...Page hasn’t been playing...he’s been known to have his nerves get the better of him...Live Aid and especially Atlantic’s 40th, where by all accounts their practice and sound check before the broadcast tore the faces off of all who witnessed them only for Page to lay a big egg on the stage when it was Go time.

Anyway I tied to go to the O2 and will definately go back to the Desert Trip if they play...just not so sure it’ll live up to the expectation.

Date: October 22, 2017 09:56

rattler2004
Hairball

As great as the O2 was, if they do play the 2018 Desert Trip (which has been rumored) the only wildcard is Jimmy Page...Plant has been playing live regularly, Jason has been as well, JPJ is the consulate professional that I doubt he’d be out of shape...Page hasn’t been playing...he’s been known to have his nerves get the better of him...Live Aid and especially Atlantic’s 40th, where by all accounts their practice and sound check before the broadcast tore the faces off of all who witnessed them only for Page to lay a big egg on the stage when it was Go time.

Anyway I tied to go to the O2 and will definately go back to the Desert Trip if they play...just not so sure it’ll live up to the expectation.

Chances are pretty slim no matter how you look at it, though you never know. And you're right about Page being the wild card if it happens. But who knows...in between remastering old material, he could be locked in a room right now practicing for the big day! He said two or three years ago he was about to unleash a new solo album and tour, but that never happened...maybe he's holding out against all hope. I've seen him live quite a few times, and they have been hit or miss. Arms Benefit '83 he was pretty much out of it although it was still almost miraculous to see him on stage. The Firm with Paul Rogers was just ok, mostly because the Firm songs weren't great. His solo tour '88 was ok, but really not very memorable. The first Page/Plant mid '90's tour was pretty good - I saw a couple of those shows. I also tried to get tickets for the O2 show just like 5 billion other people on Earth, but only a few were lucky for that - the cd and dvd are great documents though. As for Desert Trip '18 or some other reunion? Never say never...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-22 09:57 by Hairball.

Date: October 22, 2017 16:56

I count my self fortunate to have seen Led Zeppelin, thanks to an older brother in stationed in Germany and a well timed summer visit in 1980. I don’t recall much about the show , other than the lasting memory of how loud it was, how the my chest pounded with every bass drum beat...I’ve got a soundboard bootleg from the show in Frankfurt. Never saw Page in the 80s, I did see Plant on his first two US tours...the second one was the show following Led Zeppein’s appearence at Live Aid...we had all hoped that Page would join him onstage in Cleveland, but it wasn’t to be.

Didn’t manage to see the Page & Plant first tour, but did catch a blistering show on their second tour in ‘98.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-22 18:44 by rattler2004.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home