Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2016 03:46

Just tuned in to the middle of a story on my local news station regarding this lawsuit.
I think I heard that Page and Plant have (or will) give depositions and those recorded statements will be used in court rather than them having to appear in person.

One thing I heard for sure - if any money is won for the Randy California Trust, the proceeds will be donated to purchasing instruments for young musicians in Ventura County, CA.

Also - as has probably been mentioned here, Randy California tried to sue Zep a long time ago but was told it was "too late".
But according to this newscast, a new law from the US Supreme Court has made it possible for it to happen now.
Not sure which law...maybe something to do with copyright? Plagiarism? Copycats? haha

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: April 26, 2016 04:26

Nothing's gonna change even if the Taurus team wins and Randy California is added to be credited. Stairway will always be played on classic rock stations, and people will always keep discovering and enjoying Zeppelin. This is just the latest in a series of lawsuits that they've been experiencing from the beginning, and it's nothing that hasn't been seen before. Besides, the problematic credits stem from blues and folk tradition, the same one that has helped encourage Bob Dylan's songwriting. Just because there are things inspired or used by other artists doesn't automatically make it phony.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: April 26, 2016 05:51

Spirit's first 4 albums particularly "The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" are uniquely smart wonderful records. Some of the best music of that era in my opinion.

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: April 27, 2016 03:56

rob51
Actually the Stones have stolen ton's of stuff over the years. The line " she covered me in roses" is from an old english poem and alot of their riffs and melodies are awfully close to other peoples. That's just music though and like Chuck Berry said there is nothing new under the sun.

Didn't Chuck steal that line?

Date: April 27, 2016 04:16

KindaBlue
rob51
Actually the Stones have stolen ton's of stuff over the years. The line " she covered me in roses" is from an old english poem and alot of their riffs and melodies are awfully close to other peoples. That's just music though and like Chuck Berry said there is nothing new under the sun.

That line is as at least as old as the Bible...literally - from the Old Testament ( Ecclesiastes )

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 27, 2016 04:52

Hairball
KindaBlue
rob51

That line is as at least as old as the Bible...literally - from the Old Testament ( Ecclesiastes )

And they stole it from Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. There really is nothing new under the sun.

Date: April 27, 2016 05:45

camper88
Hairball
KindaBlue
rob51

And they stole it from Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. There really is nothing new under the sun.

What goes around comes around... cool smiley

"There is Nothing New Under the Sun is an EP by Missouri band Coalesce which features the band covering songs by Led Zeppelin".

There is Nothing New Under the Sun
EP by Coalesce
Released May 18, 1999
Recorded Red House Studios, Lawrence, Kansas on September 4–17, 1998
Genre Metalcore
Label Hydra Head Records
(HH666-35)
Producer Ed Rose

Edit:
*I'm not a Biblical scholar, and don't intend to get into any sort of religious debate, but out of curiosity took a quick look regarding Ecclesiastes from the Old Testament:

"Ecclesiastes is one of 24 books of the Tanakh or Hebrew Bible, where it is classified as one of the Ketuvim (or "Writings" ). It is among the canonical Wisdom Books in the Old Testament of most denominations of Christianity. The title Ecclesiastes is a Latin transliteration of the Greek translation of the Hebrew Koheleth (meaning "Gatherer", but traditionally translated as "Teacher" or "Preacher" ), the pseudonym used by the author of the book.

This anonymous work was probably composed in the last part of the 3rd century BC. Ecclesiastes has had a deep influence on Western literature. It contains several phrases that have resonated in British and American culture, such as "nothing new under the sun," "a time to be born and a time to die," and "vanity of vanities; all is vanity."

Meanwhile, Marcus Aurelius' Meditations were written in 170 to 180 AD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-27 06:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 28, 2016 00:34

THE AGE - 28 April 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 12, 2016 07:26

Date: May 12, 2016 08:43

roller99
Shake em on down!

Good stuff roller thumbs up

"Jimmy Page has also claimed that the descending lines of the opening of the song
were something he heard in Chim Chim Cher-ee from the soundtrack of Mary Poppins".

I LOVE that song - my Dad used to sing it to me when I was three years old!!! smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2016 12:02

Hairball
roller99
Shake em on down!

"Jimmy Page has also claimed that the descending lines of the opening of the song
were something he heard in Chim Chim Cher-ee from the soundtrack of Mary Poppins".

I LOVE that song - my Dad used to sing it to me when I was three years old!!! smiling smiley
I hear that descending thing in so many songs. One that pops into my mind right now is 'Strangers in the Night"

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 13, 2016 16:12

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 13, 2016 17:03

Wow that's impressive (in a bad way)!
In the early 90's I bought a comp named "The Stones roots" (or sth like that) with cuts from Big Bill Broonzy Bo Diddley Chuck Berry and others.

An adventurous record label could now release another comp named "Led Zep : songs they stole" smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-13 18:16 by dcba.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 13, 2016 18:39

Interesting that it seems "The Estates of...." are more likely to litigate than living musicians.

Date: May 13, 2016 18:57

Palace Revolution 2000
Hairball
roller99
Shake em on down!

I hear that descending thing in so many songs. One that pops into my mind right now is 'Strangers in the Night"

Thanks Hairball! I hear you're quite the Zep fan and are here in Los Angeles.

Date: May 13, 2016 19:09

roller99
Palace Revolution 2000
Hairball
roller99
Shake em on down!

Thanks Hairball! I hear you're quite the Zep fan and are here in Los Angeles.

Hey roller - I'm about an hour north of L.A. in Ventura County (originally from Santa Monica - moved north in '89).
Yes indeed a Zep fan as I grew up listening to all that as a teen in the '70's, but the fact that Page ripped off Chim Chim Cher-ee doen't sit well with me. winking smiley
I'll be back down in L.A. next weekend for Joe Walsh/Bad Company at the Forum Friday, and then the Neil Young/benefit at the Pantages on Saturday.
One of the benefits of living an hour north of the L.A. rat race - I'm close enough yet far away enough.
*I sent you pm on fb the other day after I read this article - let's meet up some time before a show.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 13, 2016 19:31

jlowe
Interesting that it seems "The Estates of...." are more likely to litigate than living musicians.

Well it started when the family of Marvin Gaye (successfully) sued Pharrell Williams and won several mils.
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

This trial proved it doesn't take a living artist to sue a plagiarist. His family may do so.
Methinks Page should be afraid... VERY afraid! Start saving, Jimmy! grinning smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 13, 2016 20:01

The quick pile of cash from a Zep reunion tour may begin to look pretty attractive to Robert and Jimmy if they have to write a big check.

Date: May 13, 2016 22:52

You sent me a PM on FB? I don't see it. I will be at the Joe Walsh show too.

Date: May 14, 2016 06:42

TooTough
[thelosangelesbeat.com]

some of that is missing things and not accurate. I've never heard dear mr fantasy in that zeppelin tune even after just reading that I listened and still don't hear it.

-boogie with stu. as far as I know the band always credited valens mother and it was to make sure she got money because the band heard she never got any money from her sons music so no legal action was taken.

-babe, I'm gonna leave you. this is actually worse. at first the song was credited to just jimmy page. when the lawsuit was settled and the money would have to be split in 1/2 between page and bredon the credit was changed to page/plant/bredon so that she only got 1/3 of the money instead of 1/2

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 14, 2016 17:14

Someone in the line, the record company or someone should have known to give credit.

Per "Babe I'm Going To Leave You"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_I'm_Gonna_Leave_You
The band covered Baez's version; both guitarist Jimmy Page and singer Robert Plant were fans of Baez. Baez's album had originally indicated no writing credit, and Led Zeppelin credited the song as "Trad. arr. Page". In the 1980s Bredon was made aware of Led Zeppelin's version of the song and since 1990 the Led Zeppelin version has been credited to Anne Bredon/Jimmy Page & Robert Plant: Bredon received a substantial back-payment of royalties.[7][10] Led Zeppelin's version is in A minor.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 14, 2016 17:28

The outro lead guitar to Black Dog cannot be denied; the gift that keeps giving-

Date: May 14, 2016 20:12

roller99
You sent me a PM on FB? I don't see it. I will be at the Joe Walsh show too.

Yes, and sent another one last night.
Might be hidden in 'message requests'...?

(click on message box, and see 'message requests')

Date: May 15, 2016 06:32

the intro to "rock n roll" is clearly inspired by the intro to a very famous little Richard tune

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 15, 2016 06:39

well, they credit "Boogie With Stu" to all 4 of themselves plus Ian Stewart plus Mrs. Valens so I don't think they were being that generous. If they were they would have given it all to her. Seems like they would take the time to research and credit her actual legal name if they were being serious..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-15 06:40 by scottkeef.

Date: May 15, 2016 10:54

keefriffhard4life
the intro to "rock n roll" is clearly inspired by the intro to a very famous little Richard tune

Correct. This was done while the band was set up at Headley Grange, with the RS mobile just outside. Bonham had gotten pissed at something, came in and sat at the kit, which was set up in the stairwell, and started banging out "I hear you knocking but you can't come in" over and over. Page picked up on it.

Date: May 15, 2016 10:56

keefriffhard4life
TooTough
[thelosangelesbeat.com]

some of that is missing things and not accurate. I've never heard dear mr fantasy in that zeppelin tune even after just reading that I listened and still don't hear it.

-boogie with stu. as far as I know the band always credited valens mother and it was to make sure she got money because the band heard she never got any money from her sons music so no legal action was taken.

-babe, I'm gonna leave you. this is actually worse. at first the song was credited to just jimmy page. when the lawsuit was settled and the money would have to be split in 1/2 between page and bredon the credit was changed to page/plant/bredon so that she only got 1/3 of the money instead of 1/2

Dear Mr. Fantasy, the bridge is the same, note for note.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 17, 2016 11:35

Just listened to that Spirit song. A related chord pattern does not equate with a ripoff in my opinion. Zep did steal a lot of other stuff though.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 19, 2016 20:31

Would love to see the same Infringement analysis as above on Bob Dylan.
He seems to have thieved a lot...probably more songs already in the 'public domain' however.

Date: May 19, 2016 21:01

HonkeyTonkFlash
Just listened to that Spirit song. A related chord pattern does not equate with a ripoff in my opinion. Zep did steal a lot of other stuff though.

Sounds like the same song to me. I can't stand Stairway anyway, who would want to rip that crappy song off? Even Robert Plant hated it. He used to refer to it as "that stupid wedding song".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1323
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home