Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 57
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 18, 2016 06:00

This fact this case has gotten this far is BS.
The judge is obviously bought and paid for. The system is rigged

That guy who supposedly wrote the riff, and supposedly complained on his death bed, had ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD when he was alive to sue back in the day, but he never did. Plus the "supposed stolen" song was never a hit for him of his band... for what ever reason... so why should his greedy heirs get money now?

There should a a statute of limitations of this type of BS lawsuit.

I never much liked Jimmy Page or Plant and I liked them even less after I saw the evidence of all of their "borrowing", but just the same... and I have no dog in this hunt but WTF? with this BS law suit and a judge allowing it?

This is rigged.

Zeppelin had the hit... that other "nobody band" did not.
The guy could have sued at anytime but never did.

What the hell!!!??
Not doing anything, no complaints, no lawsuits, no claims for 40 years??
They are allowed to sit back and let the money pile up AND NOW THEY CAN SUE???
That is BS... even if it was a rip off... that is BS.

I would bet money right now that this is already a done deal. I would bet that rigged judge is going to rule the song was rip off and Page/Plant will have to pay 100 Million++ and eventually the judge will get his cut of the lawsuit money in a paper bag... probably 5-10 Million... and that will be BS.

The pen is mightier than the sword... esp with a crooked justice system.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 18, 2016 06:06

jambay

That guy who supposedly wrote the riff, and supposedly complained on his death bed, had ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD when he was alive to sue back in the day, but he never did. Plus the "supposed stolen" song was never a hit for him of his band... for what ever reason... so why should his greedy heirs get money now?

I never much liked Jimmy Page or Plant and I liked them even less after I saw the evidence of all of their "borrowing", but just the same... and I have no dog in this hunt but WTF? with this BS law suit and a judge allowing it?

This is rigged.

What the hell!!!??

I would bet money right now that this is already a done deal. I would bet that rigged judge is going to rule the song was rip off and Page/Plant will have to pay 100 Million++ and eventually the judge will get his cut of the lawsuit money in a paper bag... probably 5-10 Million... and that will be BS.

Have a nice steaming cup of facts!

Steaming cup of facts

Date: June 18, 2016 06:16

roller99

Steaming cup of facts

Nice article roller, but I cant figure out where you stand on this smiling smiley

anyway...
I don't even care if the song was ripped off...
I don't care how the sheet music compares..

There should be a statute of limitations.

If the guy who wrote the song didn't sue... then his heirs sure as hell should not be able to.

They shouldn't be able to sit back for 40 years... let the money pile up and then say gimme gimme gimme

One band had a hit.. the other band did not have a hit...

I might feel different if Randy California was suing... but probably not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-18 06:25 by jambay.

Date: June 18, 2016 06:21

And roller, after reading your article twice I can not figure out where you stand on this.

Jimmy Page has also claimed that the descending lines of the opening of the song were something he heard in “Chim Chim Cher-ee” from the soundtrack of Mary Poppins. Attorney Malofiy has dubbed this the “Mary Poppins defense”. I think Dick Van Dyke should get in on this lawsuit then, but it begs the even bigger question: Jimmy Page was sitting around listening to the soundtrack from Mary Poppins???? Say it ain’t so Jimmy.

DAMN IT!!! Now they are plagiarizing the Chewbacca defense... they have no shame!!

PS

and why didnt this work?

The proper paperwork wasn’t filled out!

Lawyers for Led Zeppelin claim that “Spirit didn’t properly register the song with the copyright office”, so the plaintiff cannot sue for copyright infringement. The court rejected this argument.

Why would the court reject that?

This case seems rigged

PPS

This is a great point

Nobody from the Spirit camp can seem to remember whether they even played the song Taurus during these shows, yet Page and Plant can seemingly recall that it was never played. I don’t know how anyone can remember something not being played that they say they never heard of until two years ago. Both sides are lucky that the Internet didn’t exist back then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-18 06:27 by jambay.

Date: June 18, 2016 06:29

jambay
And roller, after reading your article twice I can not figure out where you stand on this.

Jimmy Page has also claimed that the descending lines of the opening of the song were something he heard in “Chim Chim Cher-ee” from the soundtrack of Mary Poppins. Attorney Malofiy has dubbed this the “Mary Poppins defense”. I think Dick Van Dyke should get in on this lawsuit then, but it begs the even bigger question: Jimmy Page was sitting around listening to the soundtrack from Mary Poppins???? Say it ain’t so Jimmy.

DAMN IT!!! Now they are plagiarizing the Chewbacca defense... they have no shame!!

Then I've done my job as an unbiased journalist! Where do I stand? I think they definitely stole this song, and almost every hit song they had. If you take away the ripoffs, you have Hot Dog and Carouselambra. Are you aware of all the songs they copped? Moby Grape wrote Since I've Been Loving You, Memphis Minnie wrote "Levee". The list is endless.

Date: June 18, 2016 06:34

roller99
jambay

Then I've done my job as an unbiased journalist! Where do I stand? I think they definitely stole this song, and almost every hit song they had. If you take away the ripoffs, you have Hot Dog and Carouselambra. Are you aware of all the songs they copped? Moby Grape wrote Since I've Been Loving You, Memphis Minnie wrote "Levee". The list is endless.

Very admirable Sir... that is very rare in these days of "agenda news reporting".

I think you should be the judge.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 18, 2016 07:07

jambay

This is rigged.

What the hell!!!??

If you know nothing about the American legal system, it's easier just to say so than post this pile of rubbish.

As for me, in my real life I AM an attorney, matter of fact in Los Angeles. This trial is taking place just a couple of miles away from the courthouse when I regularly appear. The circle of lawyers is the area is actually surprisingly small, so we often know each other's business.

Wolfe's estate won't win. The attorney Malofiy is doing a horrible job on direct and as with yesterday's testimony, Page's lawyers only have to start to rise to object to a question and Judge Klausner is already sustaining the objection. Klausner is not letting in quite a lot of what Malofiy wants to introduce. There's not a lot of what Page has said on the stand that his lawyers will have to go back and try and fix on rebuttal.
es
However, Wolfe's estate gets to sue because he's put an issue in dispute, namely Page copied Taurus. Allowing this claim to proceed is what the judge had to do.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2016 07:25

roller99
jambay

Haha - well I always thought Hot Dog was somewhat of a ripoff of something...maybe it's a tribute to an Elvis type rockabilly thingy...or maybe not.
But there's so many other tunes of theirs that are original and unique (Ramble On, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, etc., etc. etc.)that counterbalance all the tunes they 'borrowed' imo.

Update: John Paul Jones testified today, but didn't have much to say.

Zeppelin's bassist Jones testifies for bandmates

And a New York University music professor testified that "Stairway to Heaven has limited similarities" to Taurus, and "...the main similarity is shared with many songs dating back 300 years",
followed by "the notable descending minor chord progression in both songs is a common building block that no writer can claim to own".

Date: June 18, 2016 07:30

Long John Stoner
jambay

This is rigged.

What the hell!!!??

If you know nothing about the American legal system, it's easier just to say so than post this pile of rubbish.

As for me, in my real life I AM an attorney, matter of fact in Los Angeles. This trial is taking place just a couple of miles away from the courthouse when I regularly appear. The circle of lawyers is the area is actually surprisingly small, so we often know each other's business.

Wolfe's estate won't win. The attorney Malofiy is doing a horrible job on direct and as with yesterday's testimony, Page's lawyers only have to start to rise to object to a question and Judge Klausner is already sustaining the objection. Klausner is not letting in quite a lot of what Malofiy wants to introduce. There's not a lot of what Page has said on the stand that his lawyers will have to go back and try and fix on rebuttal.
es
However, Wolfe's estate gets to sue because he's put an issue in dispute, namely Page copied Taurus. Allowing this claim to proceed is what the judge had to do.

heh, you're a lawyer... that explains a lot about you

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2016 07:39

Objection your honor!
Order in the court!

grinning smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 18, 2016 08:19

I recall hearing that there is a statute of limitations with this suit and that Wolfe's estate can only claim for profits from 2011 onward. I'm not a lawyer or schooled in litigation at all. But I do think that generally speaking, Zep has been shown time and time again to sign their authorship on other people's work.

Date: June 18, 2016 09:41

hopkins
I recall hearing that there is a statute of limitations with this suit and that Wolfe's estate can only claim for profits from 2011 onward. I'm not a lawyer or schooled in litigation at all. But I do think that generally speaking, Zep has been shown time and time again to sign their authorship on other people's work.

They sure were good at it and even better at keeping it quiet.

Back in the day when they were huge and critics hated them one might think someone would have tried to torpedo them, discredit them by talking about this... but it seems to have been kept quiet.

That is interesting about the 2011 date, maybe has something to do with them re-releasing it.... idk... but I firmly believe if Randy California had an issue he should have sued them back in the day when the song came out and was hit, just like Marvin Gaye's family sued that kid who stole his song and made a ton of money...

I guess the trick is in the timing, waiting until the song has made a ton of money and is almost "played out" before filing the lawsuit and tainting the song.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this affects Zep's bankability in the long long run. I guess we will see in 10-20 years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-18 09:43 by jambay.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2016 11:24

Jimmy Page: Five Things We Learned from His “Stairway to Heaven” Testimony :
[www.guitarworld.com]

Date: June 18, 2016 16:15

jambay
Long John Stoner
jambay

This is rigged.

What the hell!!!??

es

Yeah, I enforce child support orders against non-custodial parents. Care to try again?

Date: June 18, 2016 16:21

hopkins

You're correct about the statute of limitations.

Date: June 18, 2016 16:42

jambay
Long John Stoner
jambay

This is rigged.

What the hell!!!??

es

If you ever need a lawyer, your opinion will change. Everyone always jokes about lawyers, until they need one, then swear by them. Malofiy is a showboater. I was at the courthouse on the first day and Malofiy walked past carrying a briefcase made from a Fender amp. Attention grabber...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 18, 2016 17:02

jambay
roller99

Steaming cup of facts

Nice article roller, but I cant figure out where you stand on this smiling smiley

anyway...

If the guy who wrote the song didn't sue... then his heirs sure as hell should not be able to.

They shouldn't be able to sit back for 40 years... let the money pile up and then say gimme gimme gimme

Zeppelin can be sued now because laws have changed.

Why the heck does anyone care how long it took someone to sue anyway? All that matters is if they stole it or not. Why the heck would you think it would be better if they were sued earlier and forced to pay even more money then they would be forced to now?

I will never get the objection that its been too long.

Date: June 18, 2016 17:10

jambay

We would not get along. I can't stand loud conspiracy theorists and that is the only kind of person who would post or think something like this. I can only imagine how awful it would be to listening to this garbage all day long if I had to work with you or something.

Then once again we see the argument that it took to long to sue. Again why the heck would that matter. Either they stole the song of they did not. Thats all that should matter.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 18, 2016 17:14

True Stan, some wrongs have lasting consequences, otherwise you could say that the descendants of any group aren't entitled to reparations. Where do you draw the line?

I don't really know enough about this to have an informed opinion, but if the courts deem it to be plagiarism, then I hope they can settle it quickly.

Date: June 18, 2016 17:36

stanlove
jambay
roller99

Steaming cup of facts

anyway...

Zeppelin can be sued now because laws have changed.

Why the heck does anyone care how long it took someone to sue anyway? All that matters is if they stole it or not. Why the heck would you think it would be better if they were sued earlier and forced to pay even more money then they would be forced to now?

Me neither. I also don't get why people wonder why they waited to sue. Simple. Wolfe never wanted to sue. He died, the catalogue went to Rhino, they are suing. It's about money.

Date: June 18, 2016 18:58

I don't care much either way about how this ends up. I don't know enough about the rules around this stuff to even have a serious opinion about how it should end up. The only thing is if it goes against Zeppelin it will be fun watching the obsessed Zeppelin fans make excuses. The Zeppelin myths and the fans worship of that myth is pretty much nauseating,

I just had to set another group of Zeppelin fans straight when they repeated the Zeppelin myth that Zeppelin blew the Stones away at the concert box office i the 1970s. The myths are annoying.

Date: June 18, 2016 20:05

Long John Stoner
jambay
Long John Stoner
jambay

This is rigged.

What the hell!!!??

es

Yeah, I enforce child support orders against non-custodial parents. Care to try again?
lawyers... lol

Listen sonny, I could flame war with you, but my time is valuable. I actually produce guaranteed results for a living (versus some sleazebag professions where you claim to do your best, but often say "oh well" when you don't produce results). If you want a flame war you are going to have to pay a retainer, upfront.

I will bill this at $600.00 per hour, rounded up at 15 minute increments.
Send a deposit to my Paypal for 2 hours of time and I will schedule some time for you.
Otherwise, move along son.

Date: June 18, 2016 20:07

stanlove
jambay

We would not get along.
You don't get along with anyone stanley

Date: June 18, 2016 20:08

jambay
Long John Stoner
jambay
Long John Stoner
jambay

This is rigged.

What the hell!!!??

es

lawyers... lol

Listen sonny, I could flame war with you, but my time is valuable..

You should be commended on not starting a flame war.

Date: June 18, 2016 20:20

If the original song writer did not have an issues with it and did not care to sue, then those were his intentions and the situation is settled. Randy California was man enough to know that although similar, Zep made it a hit and his band did not. and that is that.

But come 40 years later and here comes the money grubbing lawyers wanting to get involved so they can try to get a piece of song writing profits for themselves without so much as ever humming in tune... but that is the way lawyers operate.

It might be legal but it does not make it right.

Shakespeare said it right.

Date: June 18, 2016 22:14

jambay
If the original song writer did not have an issues with it and did not care to sue, then those were his intentions and the situation is settled. Randy California was man enough to know that although similar, Zep made it a hit and his band did not. and that is that.

But come 40 years later and here comes the money grubbing lawyers wanting to get involved so they can try to get a piece of song writing profits for themselves without so much as ever humming in tune... but that is the way lawyers operate.

Did they steal it or not? Thats the only question that matters.

Date: June 19, 2016 01:27

Did they steal it or not? That's the only question that matters.

Randy California, the person who wrote the song in question, did not think they stole it and/or he did not care if they did.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 19, 2016 01:28

stanlove
jambay

Did they steal it or not? Thats the only question that matters.

Yes that's what I want to know too.....I did try to read some post back but i don't understand anything........

Date: June 19, 2016 02:52

jambay
Long John Stoner
jambay
Long John Stoner
jambay

This is rigged.

What the hell!!!??

es

lawyers... lol

Listen sonny, I could flame war with you, but my time is valuable. I actually produce guaranteed results for a living (versus some sleazebag professions where you claim to do your best, but often say "oh well" when you don't produce results). If you want a flame war you are going to have to pay a retainer, upfront.

I will bill this at $600.00 per hour, rounded up at 15 minute increments.
Send a deposit to my Paypal for 2 hours of time and I will schedule some time for you.
Otherwise, move along son.

LOL. Everybody's a tough guy. Which still means you don't know sh!t about how this case came to be.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 19, 2016 03:15

roller99
Malofiy is a showboater. I was at the courthouse on the first day and Malofiy walked past carrying a briefcase made from a Fender amp. Attention grabber...

I definitely get that sense also. I have access to a media-only event planner, and he has ensured everyone has his contact info. Some of his questioning seems to be inspired by absurdist interrogations in Seinfeld episodes. He is from Philadelphia, and thinks he is Rocky.

I have spoken to Page and Plant a few times, and they are very shrewd cats, flustered by nothing. More to the point, they play it straight in the courtroom, not acting like the smug yahoos who got wiped out in the Marvin Gaye/Blurred Lines case.

[Corrects attribution to roller99]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-19 09:16 by DeanGoodman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home