Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 57
OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 7, 2011 05:26

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-22 20:38 by bv.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 7, 2011 06:27

[www.turnmeondeadman.net]
Check this out, best info for this topic.
I covered Zep's plagiarism for a speech I had to do in college a few years ago. Needless to say I had a lot of shocked people who thought that Whole Lotta Love was an original Zeppelin song.
As Homer Simpson said when the Simpsons went to England "And there's Jimmy Page, biggest thief of American Blues music."

Date: October 7, 2011 06:57

This is brain popping information.... but you know what? I STILL LOVE LED ZEPPELIN

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 7, 2011 07:18

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: October 7, 2011 08:35

nothing new. thy are theives plain and simple and the fact page has written any great music since zeppelin proves he was just stealing others music

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 7, 2011 09:09

OK but it's still just boring music....Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page and Robert Plant is boring...even a tune like 'Stairway to Heaven' after a couple of notes leads to nothing...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: October 7, 2011 09:38

Its funny how they would credit some artists but not alot of others. Case in point is 'When the levee breaks", "Traveling riverside blues" and "Were gonna groove" along with the two Willie Dixon songs from the first album.

They also did "Gallows pole" which was credited to Page & Plant but was originally recorded by Leadbelly way back when under the title "The Gallis pole". It sounds like they stole their group name too from Leadbelly even though it is said that Keith Moon named them when they couldn't come up with an original group name for themselves. No wonder Keith Richard doesn't like them, there a bunch of theives. The Stones recorded so much more music than Zeppelin but I can't think of one song that the Stones stole. This would explain why they are cursed. You should never bite the hand that feeds you.

Give credit to Zeppelin on their live shows though. They put so much power and energy into each performance. And also remember that if it wasn't for Zeppelin shows back then, the set list on the Stones 1969 tour would of been shorter according to Mick in the book "According to the Rolling Stones".
Despite Zep's plagiarism, I STILL LOVE LED ZEPPELIN TOO!

I know about Chuck Berry suing John Lennon for "You can't catch me" lyrics in "Come together" but I wonder if Mick and Keith took Ray Davies to court for the Kinks version of "Catch me now I'm fallen" which is ripped off from the greatest song ever written..."Jumpin' Jack Flash" ?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 7, 2011 09:46

I'm a bit tired of this topic.

Date: October 7, 2011 10:37

Deep Purple has some explaining to do as well (thanks, Rocky!) winking smiley

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: October 7, 2011 13:03

While we're on the subject, they also stole Bert Jansch's version of the folk standard Black Waterside

and called it Black Mountain Side, credited (of course) to Jimmy Page

Sadly, Bert Jansch died this week.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 7, 2011 13:29

geoffc
While we're on the subject, they also stole Bert Jansch's version of the folk standard Black Waterside

and called it Black Mountain Side, credited (of course) to Jimmy Page

Sadly, Bert Jansch died this week.

Yeah, that's included in the "Part 1" clip at the top of the thread. Bert's death made me go looking for his youtube clips, and finding his version of "Black Waterside" made me want to start this thread.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 7, 2011 13:50

They could sing Baa Baa Blacksheep if they wanted but it would sound brilliant because they are Led Zeppelin, i'ts not always down to who wrote it, it is the way it is played and Zepplelin sure do Rock good.

Yes they should credit the song to whoever wrote it.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 7, 2011 13:54

And Michael Jacksons Bad ripped off Zeppelin.

Date: October 7, 2011 14:09

The GR
And Michael Jacksons Bad ripped off Zeppelin.

You mean the three first notes of Heartbreaker? Who do you think had the original idea of that riff, Jimmy Page, or some old blues man?

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: October 7, 2011 14:47

Led Zeppelin........ that groovy cover band from the 60's.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2011 15:24

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 7, 2011 15:47

Oh man people lighten up - The Stones have plagiarised as well!

Date: October 7, 2011 15:49

slew

At least they tried (Stop Breakin' Down)

Led Zeppelin succeeded (Travellin' Riverside Blues)

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 7, 2011 15:58

slew

The Stones may have taken snippets here and there, but really the only thing they released that could be considered plagiarism was perhaps'The Last Time' from the Staple Singers which does not compare at all to the wholesale lifting of melodies and lyrics that Zep did.

Date: October 7, 2011 16:09

DandelionPowderman
slew

I thought the reason they originally credited as Stop breaking down as (trad , arranged by Jagger/Richards) there was no publisher, I might be wrong. Anyway they do make it clear it was not written by Jagger/Richards.

Date: October 7, 2011 16:11

Ket
DandelionPowderman
slew

I thought the reason they originally credited as Stop breaking down as (trad , arranged by Jagger/Richards) there was no publisher, I might be wrong. Anyway they do make it clear it was not written by Jagger/Richards.

From what I recall they "forgot" the trad. arr.-thing. at first. On later editions they added trad. arr., no? I could be wrong too.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 7, 2011 16:25

I still haven't gotten over the fact that Led Zeppelin decided not to tour after their gig in London in 2007. Now, THAT would have been so f awesome I guess.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 7, 2011 16:51

Ket
DandelionPowderman
slew

Also the music is not the same. It's not the same arrangement. That's why you get those kind of songwriting credits. That's what it seems anyway. I don't know that for a fact. Just like how their version of Love In Vain is completely different than Johnson's - in fact, added to.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 7, 2011 16:57

I grew up digging LZ and still do but it doesnt detract fronm the fact that I can think of no other band that has stolen songs like them. (Hell, Page stole Dazed And Confused TWICE! once from the original and once from himself and the Yardbirds) but the Stones are alot more honest about it (except Mick dont mind stealing from his bandmates I suppose). When Beggars Banquet was initially released with Prodigal Son listed as a Jagger/Richards tune it was THEY that made Decca and Gideon Music change it ,wasnt it?

Date: October 7, 2011 16:59

Okay then "Stop breaking down' may be the only song that the Stones may of been a bit dishonest about. Then theres the erroneous credit given to Jagger/Richard/Taylor on the back cover of Metemorphosis for "I don't know why" although the label on the record had it right as a Stevie Wonder song. I'm sure thats just trivial as the Stones had very little to do with the release of Metemorphosis.

I guess the only song writer that the Stones actually plagiarised was Mick Taylor.
It should be okay to steal songs within the band I mean he is only their star guitar player and there are about a dime a dozen to choose from if he leaves. And so the Stones curse for that theft was that Taylor quit.

Date: October 7, 2011 17:02

MTWEMISSYOU
Okay then "Stop breaking down' may be the only song that the Stones may of been a bit dishonest about. Then theres the erroneous credit given to Jagger/Richard/Taylor on the back cover of Metemorphosis for "I don't know why" although the label on the record had it right as a Stevie Wonder song. I'm sure thats just trivial as the Stones had very little to do with the release of Metemorphosis.

I guess the only song writer that the Stones actually plagiarised was Mick Taylor.
It should be okay to steal songs within the band I mean he is only their star guitar player and there are about a dime a dozen to choose from if he leaves. And so the Stones curse for that theft was that Taylor quit.

Then we got the mysterious credit to "Payne" on Love In Vain...

Date: October 7, 2011 17:08

Then there's Love in Vain on GYYYO. It is credited to Jagger/Richard even though it's a Robert Johnson song. On Let it Bleed it is credited to Woody Payne.

Date: October 7, 2011 17:09

MTWEMISSYOU
Then there's Love in Vain on GYYYO. It is credited to Jagger/Richard even though it's a Robert Johnson song. On Let it Bleed it is credited to Woody Payne.

Yep smiling smiley

Date: October 7, 2011 19:09

MTWEMISSYOU

Wasn't the credit listed as trad again for Love in Vain on GYYYO?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 7, 2011 19:13

The Beatles got sued over IT'S ALL TOO MUCH lifting some lyrics and melody from the Merseys' SORROW (hear below):

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-07 19:15 by Title5Take1.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home