Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 56
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin's Plagiarism
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 20, 2011 20:38

Here's Jimmy's first great original hits "Mama dont Allow No Skiffle" and "The Cotton Song"....hahahaha

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 20, 2011 21:01

LZ needs to pay up. The Stones opened their wallets to KD Lang and Anybody Seen My Baby didn't sound like Constant Craving.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: December 20, 2011 21:16

uhbuhgullayew
Youngie
Anyone have a list of the songs Zep actually 100% wrote?

Any update on this?

I could probably go through all Zeppelin's albums and see which are original Zeppelin compositions or not. What's the point though? It'd be like telling your children the truth about Santa Claus...

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: December 20, 2011 21:56

I remember reading, a long long time ago, when Akai was king of samplers and you would store samples on 3.5" disks, that John Bonham was the most sampled drummers. Some kind of payback?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 20, 2011 22:00

gwen
I remember reading, a long long time ago, when Akai was king of samplers and you would store samples on 3.5" disks, that John Bonham was the most sampled drummers.

Some kind of payback?

More likely a testament to his playing ability.

Best drummer I've ever seen in concert.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 1, 2012 16:01

bump

Date: April 2, 2012 06:28

Midnight Toker
Anybody Seen My Baby didn't sound like Constant Craving.

Oh yes it did. It certainly does. Clean yer ears out.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 2, 2012 06:33

Well, Bruce Springsteen admitted he took Badlands from Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, yet Bruce took all the writing credits.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 29, 2012 04:45

I must admit when I watched the videos in the first post, I was surprised.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 30, 2014 07:36

I can't help but hear a Beatles influence in this Zeppelin song. smiling smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:47

BluzDude
Well, Bruce Springsteen admitted he took Badlands from Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, yet Bruce took all the writing credits.

There's a similarity in the melody line, but in the context of the overall chord structures of the respective songs, the songs are very different. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood is Bm-A-G; Badlands is E-B-A-C#m. DLMBM begins on the minor chord, which makes the riff sound darker. Badlands begins on the major chord, which makes the riff more like a gallop. That one's a case of taking a general idea and recasting it totally.

I was noodling around on the guitar the other night and found that the chord structure of Badlands is similar to Sweet Jane (D-A-G-Bm) moved up a step. Ditto Beast of Burden. The differences are in where the minor chord appears in the riff.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:52

Jah Paul
More likely a testament to his playing ability.

Best drummer I've ever seen in concert.

Bonham certainly was the best drummer in the band...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:55

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Midnight Toker
Anybody Seen My Baby didn't sound like Constant Craving.

Oh yes it did. It certainly does. Clean yer ears out.

Are you implying Patrick Alley should have another go at Jagger? grinning smiley
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 30, 2014 15:04

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 21:31 by vudicus.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 22:28

Interesting new article, mainly about possible Stairway plagiarism >>> [www.businessweek.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:01

Not a new accusation, though.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 17, 2014 03:38

The ol' Taurus tune. I saw over at youtube, there was some video of Howard Stern talking about this topic meaning "LZ's plagiarism".

That Randy California must have done some very good music.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 17, 2014 23:42

Another Businessweek article, as it concerns Whole Lotta Love:

Jimmy Page: We Didn't Steal Whole Lotta Love Riff

Story by Vernon Silver/May 16, 2014

When we reported on a claim that guitarist Jimmy Page lifted the opening notes of
1971's Stairway to Heaven from a song by the obscure band Spirit in the latest
issue of Bloomberg Businessweek, the band, via Warner Music, declined to
comment. Now, with the pending rerelease of the band's full discography, the
questions about the band's originality are mounting.

In an interview with Page in The New York Times, Larry Rohter asked about criticism that Page used material from blues musicians such as Willie Dixon without acknowledging their authorship. (Dixon eventually reached a settlement that included a credit on Whole Lotta Love, which shares elements with his You Need Love, such as the words “you need coolin’.”)

In the interview, Page responds:

Page: Yeah, but he [Dixon] got credited.

NYT: But only after a lot of legal wrangling, so I wanted to ask in retrospect how did that happen, and once it was brought to the attention of your management, why did they resist it?

Page: I had a riff, which is a unique riff, O.K., and I had a structure for the song that was a unique structure. That is it. However, within the lyrics of it, there’s “You Need Love,” and there are similarities within the lyrics. Now I’m not pointing a finger at anybody, but I’m just saying that’s what happened, and Willie Dixon got credit. Fair enough.

Full story at: [www.businessweek.com]

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 18, 2014 00:10

Some of these alleged plagiarisms are a stretch. I really have to use my imagination to "hear" them.

In any event, I'll always be a Zeppelin fan.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: May 18, 2014 15:21

[youtu.be]

Speaking of plagiarism allegations this is an interesting one concerning Bob Dylan

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 20, 2014 03:56

Breaking news.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 20, 2014 04:07

Not that "breaking":

Title5Take1
Interesting new article, mainly about possible Stairway plagiarism >>> [www.businessweek.com]

Date: May 20, 2014 04:34

tatters
Breaking news.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Broken views more like.

Say, did you know that half the band Spirit are no longer alive, having since become, well, spirits?

Why didn't "the band" consider taking action while they were actually.... still alive?

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 20, 2014 05:51

tatters
Breaking news.

[www.rollingstone.com]

I've heard much more blatant examples of music plagarism than this. The very first opening notes are the only thing that sounds lifted, Taurus has no ascending progression following that opening, while that ascension in Stairway defines the early moments of the song. Aside from that two completely different songs. I love the Kinks but if you're going to sue Zep for Taurus then you surely need to sure the Kinks for "Catch Me Now I'm Fallin'", Radiohead "Creep' for the Hollie's "Air That I Breathe", Zeppelin for the Doobie Bros. "Long Train Runnin'", Stones "Satisfaction" for "Nowhere to Run Too", and countless others. I think you get my point. It's slippery slope-plagarism and rock/pop music. What songs or music influenced Spirit's "Taurus"? And then what influenced or inspired that song or song(s)? In many ways it's all recycling-the question is how blatant is it? In Zep's defense "Taurus" bears little or any resemblence to Stairway after those first few notes.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2014 06:55

big4
tatters
Breaking news.

[www.rollingstone.com]

I've heard much more blatant examples of music plagarism than this. The very first opening notes are the only thing that sounds lifted, Taurus has no ascending progression following that opening, while that ascension in Stairway defines the early moments of the song. Aside from that two completely different songs. I love the Kinks but if you're going to sue Zep for Taurus then you surely need to sure the Kinks for "Catch Me Now I'm Fallin'", Radiohead "Creep' for the Hollie's "Air That I Breathe", Zeppelin for the Doobie Bros. "Long Train Runnin'", Stones "Satisfaction" for "Nowhere to Run Too", and countless others. I think you get my point. It's slippery slope-plagarism and rock/pop music. What songs or music influenced Spirit's "Taurus"? And then what influenced or inspired that song or song(s)? In many ways it's all recycling-the question is how blatant is it? In Zep's defense "Taurus" bears little or any resemblence to Stairway after those first few notes.

Agreed.

As for the Doobie Brothers Long Train Coming, you must be referring to the middle section of Zep's Down By The Seaside?
I honestly never thought of that one or made the connection, but I do hear similarities to the guitar riff now.

And what about Bachman Turner Overdrive's You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet thievery of the Who's Baba O'rily?
Or Steve Miller lifting Free's Alright Now riff for Rock'n Me?
Or again Steve Miller lifting Cream/Clapton's Crossroads guitar lick for Big Jet Airliner?
Or The Doors Hello I Love You lifting The Kink's All The Day and All of The Night?

These seem more blatantly obvious than the Spirit/Zep controversy imo,
and even though the above examples might be in different tunings (and maybe some subtle minor differences),
no lawsuits have ever been filed as far as I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-20 06:58 by Hairball.

Date: May 20, 2014 07:12

Hairball
The Doors Hello I Love You lifting The Kink's All The Day and All of The Night?

The Doors were successfully sued over Hello....

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 20, 2014 08:39

Hairball
Or again Steve Miller lifting Cream/Clapton's Crossroads guitar lick for Big Jet Airliner?
Or The Doors Hello I Love You lifting The Kink's All The Day and All of The Night?

These seem more blatantly obvious than the Spirit/Zep controversy imo,
and even though the above examples might be in different tunings (and maybe some subtle minor differences),

Totally see your point, but the songs you mention are by-the-numbers rock tunes. It's easy to rip off the Kinks "All Day and All of the Night" or JJF. It's hard not to! But it takes effort to nick "Taurus" and turn it into the opening of Stairway. They might have been better off just rewriting it a bit so as to not give the impression of stealing. But then, the song would not remain the same :-) It is one of the most recognizable little chord progressions/melodies in rock, and the lifting seems blatant. Money is probably due.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: May 20, 2014 09:33

the list could go on and on

AC/DC's Jailbreak riff is taken from Them's Gloria

Chuck Berry's intro to Johnny B Goode-arguably the most famous intro in rock'n'roll- is taken note for note from the intro to Louis Jordan's Ain't that Just like a Women

Canned Heat's Goin up the Country is a direct copy (pan pipes and all) of Henry Thomas Bull doze blues

Beach Boy's Surfin USA is Sweet Little Sixteen with different lyrics (although they did get pinged for that)

and no doubt many more

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 20, 2014 17:19

ozziestone
the list could go on and on

AC/DC's Jailbreak riff is taken from Them's Gloria

Chuck Berry's intro to Johnny B Goode-arguably the most famous intro in rock'n'roll- is taken note for note from the intro to Louis Jordan's Ain't that Just like a Women

Canned Heat's Goin up the Country is a direct copy (pan pipes and all) of Henry Thomas Bull doze blues

Beach Boy's Surfin USA is Sweet Little Sixteen with different lyrics (although they did get pinged for that)

and no doubt many more

U2's Get On Your Boots is Elvis Costello's Pump It Up, essentially.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 20, 2014 17:34

Taurus and Stairway sound too much alike. Stairway could have avoided that with a different chord or even done on keyboards, it could have been altered enough.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 56

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 6295 on November 30, 2021 14:09

Previous page Next page First page IORR home