Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: New unreleased Exile era instrumental
Posted by: redsock ()
Date: August 24, 2011 22:49

WOW! Rocks Off has made my month!

Re: New unreleased instrumental?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 24, 2011 22:56

Mathijs
New All Down the Line, no vocals, rough mix, great Taylor:

Mathijs

So...what is this? It sound like a tape direct out of Nellcote -rough open G guitar from Richards, rough drums by Charlie, rough slide by Taylor, and great bass by...Bill Wyman. Wyman always stated he played in ATDL too, and this take does prove that: the main bass is Wyman!

This take proves that about all but the vocals came from Nellcote, AND that Wyman plays the first bass, and Bill Plummer a double bass overdub.

Mathijs

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:06

Mathijs
thijs1981
Shame almost everything runs so fast... the Rocks Off instrumental I don't think I've heard before too?

And that's the same for the other outtakes here. Rip This Joint features a totally useless guitar by Taylor, largely edited out of the final version. Listening to RTJ one can understand why Richards would state that Taylor 'was not a great rhythm player' or 'great live but not in the studio'. The real king of RTJ is Hopkins, Jagger and Keys. And for Soul Survivor it is truu again -not too inspired slide by Taylor, largely edited out of the final version.

Fantastic new hook on Exile in my opinion.

Mathijs

I take exception to the comment about who the kings are in RTJ. How can one dismiss how Keith absolutely pounds the rhythm bit into submission. One of the best guitar intro's ever. Without that signature Keith guitar sound this song would just be a good rocker and not the great one it is. The band really flies high with this one. Charlie should not be left out of the plus column either. The band is on all cylinders here. This song was fantastic live in 72 with Keith driving it hard.

Some of these outtakes are great. Nikki was a huge part of the Stones sound for many years. A very nice mid week surprise! You know there has to be so much more out there.

Date: August 24, 2011 23:11

Munichhilton
Here is a pitch corrected and eq'd version of these takes:
[www.filesonic.com]

THANK YOU!! I was grabbing them through Clipnabber and saving them as mp4s, but this seems much better.

There are six files here -- are we sure the others are the same as previous boots? (Someone mentioned Sweet Virginia as being a different mix or having more gtr?)

Date: August 24, 2011 23:14

filstan
Mathijs
thijs1981
Shame almost everything runs so fast... the Rocks Off instrumental I don't think I've heard before too?

And that's the same for the other outtakes here. Rip This Joint features a totally useless guitar by Taylor, largely edited out of the final version. Listening to RTJ one can understand why Richards would state that Taylor 'was not a great rhythm player' or 'great live but not in the studio'. The real king of RTJ is Hopkins, Jagger and Keys. And for Soul Survivor it is truu again -not too inspired slide by Taylor, largely edited out of the final version.

Mathijs

I take exception to the comment about who the kings are in RTJ. How can one dismiss how Keith absolutely pounds the rhythm bit into submission. One of the best guitar intro's ever.

Sure you can't. Keith's fantastic here. BUT: his guitar ends up as just part of the rhythm section, which in my opinion is part of the greatness of the Stones. What you have here is a fabulous rhythm section (Keith and Charlie), a rousing sax (Keys), a hypnotic barrel house piano offering the first melody, and Jagger offering the second melody on the official version. There's nothing more needed to make this track what it is -no Taylor, nothing what so ever.

Mathijs

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:18

These are amazing.....this proves that there is so much out there we can't even come close to having everything,.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:27

redsock
Munichhilton
Here is a pitch corrected and eq'd version of these takes:
[www.filesonic.com]

THANK YOU!! I was grabbing them through Clipnabber and saving them as mp4s, but this seems much better.

There are six files here -- are we sure the others are the same as previous boots? (Someone mentioned Sweet Virginia as being a different mix or having more gtr?)

You're welcome

This is far far better than clipnabber, although FLAC would be the definitive I suppose.

I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in Sweet Virginia, but I could be wrong...it was also exceptionally distant. Rebuilding these songs into a solid file takes some time, so I left a few out.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:50

thijs1981
Found this haunting instrumental on a new YouTube-channel dedicated to Nicky. Unfortunately it has almost every video mislabeled.

Never heard this one before though, but no means do I have a complete collection. Anyone with more info?

It is Sticky / Exile era Stones for sure.

In the youtube comments it's say:

This site features songs from Nicky Hopkins Mr. Session Man, A Complete Anthology: The Classic Sessions And Solo Work 1961-1994. This Anthology is a 350 song private collection. The 1961- 1980 material was

Who knows what pops ups in the future....350 songs???????????????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-25 01:03 by NICOS.

Date: August 24, 2011 23:59

Munichhilton
I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in Sweet Virginia, but I could be wrong...it was also exceptionally distant. Rebuilding these songs into a solid file takes some time, so I left a few out.

That's cool. Even my cheap-o file is better than nothing.

Date: August 25, 2011 00:10

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 25, 2011 00:12

thumbs upsmileys with beer>grinning smiley<smiling bouncing smiley

Date: August 25, 2011 00:15

Highway child............great

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 25, 2011 00:15

awesome!

Date: August 25, 2011 00:17

Lucie

Date: August 25, 2011 00:19

great stuff. A pity about the sound quality, but maybe that will improve some how.
Thanks!

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: August 25, 2011 00:20

Yeah, but Nicos, those were all available before in better quality I think.
Those six files are the real treasures that most of us weren't familiar with before today.

Date: August 25, 2011 00:22

thijs1981
Those six files are the real treasures that most of us weren't familiar with before today.

Are you sure about Lucie?

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: August 25, 2011 00:28

NICOS
thijs1981

Nicos, i always had my doubts about Lucie, she's one mean lying woman...

Date: August 25, 2011 00:35

The slide part on Rip This Joint in standard tuning?winking smiley

Date: August 25, 2011 00:36

gimme_shelter
NICOS
thijs1981

Nicos, i always had my doubts about Lucie, she's one mean lying woman...

After I met her, I said 'sweet lyle lucie no more for me'. She wore me out!

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:24

I could listen to Keith and Nicky play together all day long! There is something so right about that combination.

Pure and simple, Nicky was the best thing to happen to the stones. thumbs up

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:38

man does that first one sound good.this sort of ends the chuck leavell discussion forever.you cant really listen to nicky and even begin to argue that the stones keyboards are just sad at this point.

even the present day jagger could lay down a great vocal track on this,if he tried...or didnt try to hard.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:41

f/cking mick taylor......whoa!! there had to have been smoke rolling off the neck of that guitar.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 25, 2011 03:11

Wow, just listened to Soul Survivor three or four times in a row. Huzzah! And with respect to Taylor's slide on RTJ, agree it doesn't really suit but it's still pretty damn cool to hear. Big thanks to all involved.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 25, 2011 03:20

thijs1981
Let's go... Exile On Main Street Karaoke!

lmfoa.. you may be on to something here. Wasn't there a thread from Rockman talking about how in Japan the cover bands of the Rolling Stones are on to some good grooves? This stuff is probably Andy John leaking mixes he stole from the stones out to people who probably shouldn't have them. This stuff is interesting but I doubt the band would be very happy about their ubiquity at this point. There is a small vocal shout by Bobby Keys in the beginning of this Rock Off music in which you can hear the massive reverb in those basement rooms at Nellcote. That's pretty cool for people trying to figure out how to get the Exile sound on their NEW records. peace.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 25, 2011 03:24

This is awesome. All Down The Line, Soul Survivor and Rocks Off and Rip This Joint..... STELLAR. This kicks ass.

I'm about to go on a drive and blast these as loud as possible!

(Munichhilton, THANK YOU. Nice job on the speed correction. Sounds spot on. Until we get a proper rip of this vinyl/tape, this is great!)

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 25, 2011 05:52

I was hoping that It's Funny or whatever it's called, the one in CS Blues when Mick's saying something along the lines of I'll hold you like China, would make the Exile Rarities.

Where is that? I've never found it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 25, 2011 06:25

gimme_shelter
This sounds very much like the US first (mis)pressing of SFM. Not too rare, actually...

gwen
The Street Fighting Man has vocals I've never heard I think and probably a different mix too, although it's difficult to tell on this laptop.

I was thinking the same thing. The US single cut of SFM had a much more in your face sound with the instruments louder in the mix. Always loved this version the best.

Date: August 25, 2011 06:38

Mathijs
thijs1981

Fantastic to be able to listen to this. There's two things really striking here -1) Taylor's guitar on the released version is only a tiny part of what he actually played. He was completely cut out of the final version of RO, except for the intro and the lead at the outro, and deservedly so in my opinion and 2) Nicky Hopkins is truly, truly instrumental to Exile. Of course we knew how important he is, but here he is as important as Jagger basically. There's two different melodies going on -Jagger's vocals (missing here) and Hopkin's piano.

Mathijs

True about MT's parts, but most of these cuts sound like they are for MT to work on overdubs. These could be scrapped takes of his.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: August 25, 2011 06:45

Wow! A thousand thanks to thijs1981 for posting these and MunichHilton for the conversions. So cool to see new stuff turning up!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home