Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How many separate airlines and aircraft types have the Stones been in?
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 21, 2012 01:49

OK, now for something important - That has never before been exhaustively documented.

And, its very important, because it might not be a subject fully covered in the New 50th Anniversary Book.

I am not sure what Bill Wyman's feelings are about the odds are in terms of safety - if they are better that the Stones have utilized so many different airlines and aircraft types over the years, as they may have dodged the Grim Reaper in their zig zagging travels or if it made things worse, by abandoning perfectly routine aviation ops in favor of decades of ad hoc charters and pilots until they land on the wrong one. Or if the odds remain even except for the perilous increase in total volume.

Well, anyway, I'll kick this off with a more obscure one from the early years..

Airline: SAS
Type: Convair CV440 twin prop.

Keef, whatchu whatchu doin'?

Re: How many separate airlines and aircraft types have the Stones been in?
Date: March 21, 2012 05:31

OK, here is an obscure one...

Brian Jones
Airline: Societa Aerea Mediterranea - SAM
Type: Sud Aviation Caravelle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-22 00:52 by SweetThing.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 21, 2012 13:17

No idea, but it will be hundreds if not thousands. I've read many stories about near misses for them in terms of disasters on planes. And of course don't forget the helicopter out of Altamont, which was so overladened it could hardly take off and fly. Didn't they go up in a hot air balloon to announce the Forty Licks tour? I seem to remeber watching this and Charlie looked terrified.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 21, 2012 13:27

crumbling_mice
Didn't they go up in a hot air balloon to announce the Forty Licks tour? I seem to remeber watching this and Charlie looked terrified.

Just think how Bill would have looked.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 21, 2012 15:50

crumbling_mice
Didn't they go up in a hot air balloon to announce the Forty Licks tour?
I seem to remeber watching this and Charlie looked terrified.

it was a blimp

Date: March 21, 2012 15:55

crumbling_mice
No idea, but it will be hundreds if not thousands. I've read many stories about near misses for them in terms of disasters on planes. And of course don't forget the helicopter out of Altamont, which was so overladened it could hardly take off and fly. Didn't they go up in a hot air balloon to announce the Forty Licks tour? I seem to remeber watching this and Charlie looked terrified.

Yes, they departed Altamont in a Bell helicopter type of some sort. Seemed like a Jet Ranger; not sure of Long Rangers were being manufactured at that point, but the amount of people that I last read that got into it sounds nearly impossible to fit in one - never mind exceeding the "technicality" of exceeding the designated safety envelope.

And yes, the "lads" took a trip around Manhattan, lifting off from Van Courtland Park in the Bronx, in a blimp. Nice yellow blimp with a tongue logo... Charlie was reportedly terrified. smiling smiley

Date: March 21, 2012 15:57

crumbling_mice

I recall that in LIFE, Keith Richards refers to the Stones (or maybe it is just Jagger and himself) getting on a Lockheed Constellation of all things - and half cargo at that. Might have been in Australia. Even at that time, the triple tail classic must've been ancient.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 21, 2012 17:42

I have a book on the Lockheed Constellation with several color illustrations and one of them is of the Constellation the stones used for their 1972 tour. I will have to scan it and post it for all to see.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 21, 2012 18:18

There was a story about Mick and Keith on Concorde.

Also Mick flew Iberia to Santiago De Compostella from London in 1999.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 21, 2012 20:35

Flight 505?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 21, 2012 23:12

SweetThing
crumbling_mice

Yes, they departed Altamont in a Bell helicopter type of some sort. Seemed like a Jet Ranger; not sure of Long Rangers were being manufactured at that point, but the amount of people that I last read that got into it sounds nearly impossible to fit in one - never mind exceeding the "technicality" of exceeding the designated safety envelope.

And yes, the "lads" took a trip around Manhattan, lifting off from Van Courtland Park in the Bronx, in a blimp. Nice yellow blimp with a tongue logo... Charlie was reportedly terrified. smiling smiley

Date: March 22, 2012 00:55

The lads on BEA, type unknown.

Date: March 22, 2012 01:03

Charlie Watts and others in Austria -

Airline: Privatair
Aircraft: Boeing 757

Date: March 22, 2012 01:10

Mick and Charlie into a Bell 47 (I think) helicopter [ Think M*A*S*H TV show ]

Date: March 22, 2012 01:12

with sssoul
crumbling_mice
Didn't they go up in a hot air balloon to announce the Forty Licks tour?
I seem to remeber watching this and Charlie looked terrified.

it was a blimp

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2012 02:18

I was on a plane from Amsterdam to London in '03 during the Licks tour, and Charlie was on the same plane.
Add British Airways to the list.

Posted by: SaigonVoodoo ()
Date: March 22, 2012 04:55

Several times, in the 80s, I was on the same flight as Keith from Miami to Barbados, American Airlines. Upgraded to first once, sat down and got my drink and looked up and there he was. Sat down 1 row up and across the aisle. Had a nice chat with him during the flight and even threw back a few together. If I remember, Chuck Magee was with him on one flight but he was usually alone. Not even Jane by his side.

Good memories.

Date: March 22, 2012 06:00

I think this may have been their designated Lockheed 188 turboprop quad Electra. But I'm not sure.

Date: March 22, 2012 06:09

Happy Jack
I have a book on the Lockheed Constellation with several color illustrations and one of them is of the Constellation the stones used for their 1972 tour. I will have to scan it and post it for all to see.

Happy Jack - looks like this is the one...

What a classic!

"Support aircraft for the Rolling Stones tour of Australia. Note the Mick Jagger "mouth" on the nose of the aircraft"

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 22, 2012 16:45

^Yep that's the one!

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: March 22, 2012 16:59

The questions are very interesting these times...

Date: March 22, 2012 17:11

SweetThing

It would be helicool to ride in that helivison helicopter.

probably have to be a Southpark fan to get that joke

Posted by: pennyharp ()
Date: March 22, 2012 17:54

video: [www.myspace.com]

You beat me to that Hella-fast! But here is a clip of a certain big-boned, foul-mouthed little boy.

Date: March 22, 2012 18:28

pennyharp
video: [www.myspace.com]

You beat me to that Hella-fast! But here is a clip of a certain big-boned, foul-mouthed little boy.
LOL!!! THAT IS HELLAFUNNY!!thumbs up

Date: March 22, 2012 18:44

Thanks Max... just trying to repay some of the laughs.

Now in an attempt to be a little relevant I did a little search and found these postings on Airliners.net from Sat Oct 22 2005...

"Chazzerguy

The Rolling Stones are flying into CLT at some point today for a concert tonight... Any idea what kinda plane they are touring in? Would love to know what to look for...

We're hoping for something pretty heavy, but their entourage may not be big enough to require something real big...

Any ideas?

Cltguy
They showed it on WBTV...it looked to be an A320 with an all with an all white fuselage and a blue tail with a red crown logo on it. Its parked out at the airport if you want to take a gander at it."

Example of an A320

Date: March 22, 2012 19:25

More from that site...Mar 1, 2003

"Scissor Eagle - Australia

had a Polar 747-200 and a UPS 747 to bring all their gear over to Australia. And then they hired a Qantas 747 to fly them over to Sydney from the US

NJT916 - USA
They were here in Vegas about 3 weeks ago with 2 Polar 747's.

Date: March 22, 2012 20:05

It's actually kind of fun to read how these posters found out what the did (right and wrong) as things were happening at the time but I'm on vacation... so this is it from me for now.

More from that site...Feb 7, 2006

"Hardiwv - Brazil
Rolling Stones (band) and cargo will arrive in GIG on 13 February/06 onboard a B747 and MD-11 bringing a total of 170 tonnes of equipment.

In addition, 5 containers will come via sea for what will be a remarkable show in Copacabana beach on 19 February/06, just before Carnaval! The stage in Copacabana will be the size of a 7-floor building.

On its European tour the Stones came onboard a PrivateAir B757 and cargo came separate on a B747. Anyone knows whether the B747 and MD-11 coming to GIG are in addition to a B757? Which airline/cargo will operate the B747 and MD-11 to GIG?

LipeGIG - Brazil
GIG Airport Administration confirms two 747's authorized to land on Jan 14 and Jan 15. One 747-200 and one 747-400 both from Atlas but operated by Polar Air Cargo

One additional 747 will be used for a GIG-EZE charter and also RG Log will trasport part with their M11F / 727F.

Hardiwv

They arrived today in GIG with a B757 from Pace Airlines at 2h43 bringing a total of 50 pax. Do you have any confirmation of the cargo planes, 1 B747 and 1 MD11; or 2 B747?

ReguPilot -

Yup! You beat me to it. They departed SJU directly to GIG in a 757. The local newspaper says the plane is owned by Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 22, 2012 20:12

Date: March 23, 2012 05:18

<<For Mick Jagger, Concorde has offered thrills and spills. The Rolling Stone has found the plane useful for his globetrotting, but it was on a flight from New York to London that supermodel Jerry Hall revealed she was dumping her wayward husband. >>

[www.thefreelibrary.com]

Date: March 23, 2012 15:44

This classic of the jet age, is as loud as Keith's guitars. Appears the Stones hired this vintage airliner, older than the band itself, for the Steel Wheels tour (or at least part of it).

Comment on Youtube:

"I saw this 707 parked on the Butler Aviation ramp at OHare in Sept. 1989. It was being chartered by the Rolling Stones for their tour as they were? in town doing a concert then."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-23 15:46 by SweetThing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home