Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Main Offender revisited
Date: August 24, 2015 21:12

While we're waiting for CH, I bought Main Offender on vinyl. Not my favourite Keith album, but Christ how much better it sounds on vinyl! All the coldness and almost brutal sounds is peeled off.

I'm at Eileen now, but can already tell that this purchase, which was ridiculously expensive, was worthwhile after all thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-24 21:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Main Offender revisited
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 24, 2015 21:21

Still third place to TIC and CH I would assume??

Date: August 24, 2015 21:22

Fourth (Palladium, too smiling smiley ). Still a good album, though.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 24, 2015 21:23

No need to re visit Main Offender, I never left it
I'm still sulking because i heard Keith won't tour behind Crosseyed Heart sad smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 24, 2015 21:31

I have the japanese CD and it is great sounding. Can´t imagine the vinyl copy sounding much better. Anyway, it is a marvelous album packed with highlights. I´ll never get tired of listening to it.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: August 24, 2015 22:07

Demon is one of the best and soulfull song Keith ever wrote.

bye
Fernando

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 24, 2015 22:09

I do like this Keith's album! And Eileen is one of my Keith's fav. thumbs up

Glad you are enjoying your brand new vinyl DandelionPowderman!!!
smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 24, 2015 22:14

Fernandobsas
Demon is one of the best and soulfull song Keith ever wrote.

bye
Fernando

Fernando, you have to listen to 'Nothing on me'!winking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 24, 2015 22:29

Great find, DP! smileys with beer

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 24, 2015 22:50

The obviously grand song of MAIN OFFENDER to me is instead "Hate It When You Leave".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-24 22:51 by Witness.

Date: August 24, 2015 22:53

Witness
The obviously grand song of MAIN OFFENDER to me is instead "Hate It When You Leave".

YES >grinning smiley<

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 24, 2015 22:55

A very hard LP to find. Also Live at Palladium is very rare. Enjoy the record!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 25, 2015 00:18

Fernandobsas
Demon is one of the best and soulful song Keith ever wrote.

Yup and MO would have a fantastic EP. As a long player it's a bit too... long!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 25, 2015 02:38

Even by Keith fanatics Running Too Deep is overlooked for the great riff, tone, shuffle and melody it is...and on top f that Demon.

Great LP

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 25, 2015 03:13

revisited? why would I go somewhere where I had a miserable time the first time? Is this the thread for self loathing?

On a brighter note, I did order the Keith & Wino's Live at the Palladium CD finally after all these years from Amazon...had totally forgotten about it!

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: August 25, 2015 05:30

keefriffhards
No need to re visit Main Offender, I never left it
I'm still sulking because i heard Keith won't tour behind Crosseyed Heart sad smiley

The Japan cd has a bonus track, too : "Key To The Highway".

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 25, 2015 07:12

treaclefingers
revisited? why would I go somewhere where I had a miserable time the first time? Is this the thread for self loathing?

On a brighter note, I did order the Keith & Wino's Live at the Palladium CD finally after all these years from Amazon...had totally forgotten about it!

It may be a thread for points of renewed evaluation in full seriousness. In that respect, revisited. Or reappraised. Not all of us are participating in more or less tongue-in-cheek sports duels between albums, track against track, for instance your last EOMS vs IORR.

It may be dull, but I for one am dead serious in my Stones passion, where others from time to time may like to play around with their passion.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 25, 2015 09:59

Witness
treaclefingers

It may be a thread for points of renewed evaluation in full seriousness. In that respect, revisited. Or reappraised. Not all of us are participating in more or less tongue-in-cheek sports duels between albums, track against track, for instance your last EOMS vs IORR.

It may be dull, but I for one am dead serious in my Stones passion, where others from time to time may like to play around with their passion.

I hear what you're saying, but let's stick to the topic....and let me clarify if I was unclear...I didn't like it the first time, what's the purpose for the revisit, to see if old age has dulled my senses to the point where the songs now make sense?

I'm not saying you can't like it...but don't be offended if I don't hold it in the same esteem.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2015 10:01

Just think MO as one long riffin' grooooooooooooooooooooove ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 25, 2015 11:07

No need to upgrade MAIN OFFENDER by turning to vinyl, since the vinyl version is the only version I ever have had... Actually it was the last brandnew album I bought as a vinyl format. At my local record store there was only CDs, so they needed to order the vinyl especially for me (thelast of the mohicaans), and, of course, it cost heavens... Then I finally realized that vinyl is history, and I have never looked back...

I found the album a huge disappointment back then, no matter how much I wanted to like a new 'Rolling Stones' item, and I haven't changed my stance. Actually I have not listened the album for ages; only "Hate It When You Leave" and that reggae tune are the songs I find worth listening to. The rest is endless and monotous riffage, adding nothing to the musical statement of TALK IS CHEAP (and the song-writing - if that can be called that - hidden in all of those riff exercises is weaker) or Keith Richards' legacy we knew already by then. It seems to be an item for die-hard Keith Richards-freaks, for the rest of us just damn mediocre and boring album.

But yeah, probably time to give it a new listening...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 11:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 25, 2015 17:00

Hey doxa,
I think you're right but what about wicked as it seems, for me the best keith song ever on the most disapointing Album ever..

Date: August 25, 2015 17:04

deardoctor
Hey doxa,
I think you're right but what about wicked as it seems, for me the best keith song ever on the most disapointing Album ever..

Jezz. The most disappointing album ever ?? That's just plain mean and nasty
deardoctor indeed

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 25, 2015 17:40

Main Offender is a great album with not even one single weak song on it. The japan-only Bonus Track Key To The Highway is just outstanding. Main Offender is a pure delight, the songs are fine, the playing is fine, the singing is fine. Tastes may be different, but in case of Main Offender it is hard to understand why some people dont like it. Turn it up!

Date: August 25, 2015 17:50

HMS
Main Offender is a great album with not even one single weak song on it. The japan-only Bonus Track Key To The Highway is just outstanding. Main Offender is a pure delight, the songs are fine, the playing is fine, the singing is fine. Tastes may be different, but in case of Main Offender it is hard to understand why some people dont like it. Turn it up!

It's a very good album indeed. But Running Too Deep, Will But You Won't (the same riff) and Body Talks are not on par with the rest of the material, imo.

That said, a weak Stonesy track is still a good track, compared to a lot of the stuff out there smiling smiley

Hate It When You Leave, Wicked As It Seems and Words Of Wonder are great, great songs.

Date: August 25, 2015 17:53

keefriffhards
deardoctor
Hey doxa,

deardoctor indeed
No It's Not. I HAD huge expectations after talk is cheap, which is outstanding. Main offender sounds like a collection of unfinished outtakes for me. But yes, That's my subjective opinion

Date: August 25, 2015 18:09

Munichhilton
Even by Keith fanatics Running Too Deep is overlooked for the great riff, tone, shuffle and melody it is...and on top f that Demon.

Great LP

Agree 100% with Running Too Deep. That along with Wicked, Eileen, Words Of Wonder, Hate It, Will But You Won't and Demon make for a pretty damn good follow-up to TIC. thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 25, 2015 18:55

deardoctor
Hey doxa,

Well, I think "Wicked As It Seems" belongs to the most distinguished part of the "endless and monotous riffage" that marks me teh nature of the album. If I'd been the producer or God himself I would have released the album as an EP:

1. Wicked As It Seems
2. Yap Yap

1. Hate When You Leave
2. Words of Wonder

And that had been a helluva EP and a strong musical statement! But seemingly Keef had a different idea of what kind of statement he wants to make. But unfortunately for me Keith's vision sounded terribly repitive and one-sided back in 1992. To me it sounded like the image - keeping up appearances - put in the form of music. He sounded like 'yeah I am the riff-master, right? And now I am going to empty all my pockets of all my signature riffs'. Those pockets sounded a way too empty by then, and Keith sounded surprisingly uninspired - more like Keith Richards in autopilot. Actually that was the first time I recognized that maybe the creative juices of the heart of the Stones had finally dried up. Before that I always had seen Keith somehow creatively forward going, a genious even, always having something to say, even though I didn't always liked the results. In VOODOO LOUNGE that worry was materialized big time.

But like I said, there surely are Richards devotees who hear there nuances that I can't recognize or have not interest to dig them up. BUt I guess a kind of die-hard Keith Richards fan in me died due to MAIN OFFENDER. I lost the faith, so to say...

But this said, there is a brandew album just to be released, and after having listened to the bootleg, all I can say that it is a damn good album, and Keef is seriously winning me back...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 18:57 by Doxa.

Date: August 25, 2015 20:53

deardoctor
keefriffhards
deardoctor
Hey doxa,

deardoctor indeed
No It's Not. I HAD huge expectations after talk is cheap, which is outstanding. Main offender sounds like a collection of unfinished outtakes for me. But yes, That's my subjective opinion

Thats a hideous opinion , but that's just my subjective opinion of your opinion'

Date: August 25, 2015 22:29

keefriffhards
deardoctor
keefriffhards
deardoctor
Hey doxa,

deardoctor indeed

Thats a hideous opinion , but that's just my subjective opinion of your opinion'

Yeah, that has to be your opinion, because your Name is keefriffhards. That's ok. Im a Fan as well, but surely a bit more critical.

Date: August 25, 2015 22:36

One can be critical AND love Main Offender smiling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home