Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Main Offender revisited
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 16, 2015 11:46

HMS
If this in "on auto-pilot" most Stones-rockers since the early 70s are "on auto-pilot".

You got it right there. A clever insight.thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 11:49

HMS

Btw. Oh No Not You Again of course isnt "Mick on auto-pilot". This is how the Stones sound like. If this in "on auto-pilot" most Stones-rockers since the early 70s are "on auto-pilot". It´s just their trademark sound, this is THE ROLLING STONES.

Yeah, I hear that and will go so far as to say ONNYA is one of the least appalling songs on A Bigger Bang. I shan’t attempt to articulate why I still think you’re wrong because the wall between us would be 'dirty work' to scale indeed.

Date: September 16, 2015 11:53

Oh No Not You Again could have been a good song, but I think they played and recorded it in an utterly poor way.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 16, 2015 11:55

I have not listened to this album and eons, and will make sure to do so...

Sorry to veer off-topic, but did I miss an obvious thread already posted about Keith's IHeart Radio interview saying the Stones are coming out with a new album? or has no one seen my thread on that? is this "old" news to people on iorr? or do people just not believe him, and not want to post about it?

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 12:01 by swiss.

Date: September 16, 2015 13:36

I suspect people don't believe him, swiss.

I posted in that thread, though, and more posts are coming now smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 15:17

I think I bought MO before TiC, and I remember liking it more because it rocked harder, but after revisiting both after YEARS, I can see what everyone is saying about MO sounding like a half-done collection of demos.

TiC is a far more complete and solid piece of work...I still say that MO rocks harder though.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 16, 2015 15:31

Doxa
Swayed1967
bitusa2012
Love Keith, have all his official solo stuff. Really dig this record. But somehow, hiding in plain sight, I "rediscovered" 999. That is a great opener. Always loved Wicked... So probably just jumped straight to it. Today in the car though,999 kicked my drive off. Fantastic song. Just love it. Top album, apart from that whiny Eileen.

You don’t like Eileen? Keith on auto-pilot, right? Still, it’s better than ‘Oh no not you again,’ which is Mick on auto-pilot. But yeah Eileen’s riff is a little tired, still attractive mind, but in sore need of a boob job. Don’t you agree? So let’s replace the chorus, that whiny Eye-leeeeaan refrain, with the chorus from ‘Wanna Hold You,’ another uninspired track written in Keith’s sleep. Can you feel me? Play it in your mind. On its rerelease this hybrid baby becomes a chart topper and one of Keith’s most beloved tunes (it might need a new title though).

When you think about it, after the vaults are emptied, swapping choruses of mediocre songs may be the only way forward for the Stones.

There is only two of them. "Satisfaction" and now this new one "Robert Plant". Keith says they are great, so I guess they are.

- Doxa

"Robert Plant"? Keith wrote a song about "Robert Plant"?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 16:27

swiss
I have not listened to this album and eons, and will make sure to do so...

Sorry to veer off-topic, but did I miss an obvious thread already posted about Keith's IHeart Radio interview saying the Stones are coming out with a new album? or has no one seen my thread on that? is this "old" news to people on iorr? or do people just not believe him, and not want to post about it?

- swiss

i don't believe him, and even if it were true, there is a lot that has to happen before we have enjoyed the music and are commenting on dandelion's album talk topic on "steel wheelchairs"...

Date: September 16, 2015 17:24

grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 18, 2015 02:23

Heard 999 on Sirius/XM today. Hilarious!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 1, 2016 21:56

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 1, 2016 22:04

GasLightStreet
Heard 999 on Sirius/XM today. Hilarious!

999 is such a great, great song. I´m going to listen to it right now.

Date: April 2, 2016 01:23

' Main Offender ' is a very well recorded album. Japanese CD and,apparently,the vinyl issue as well. Made possible by the original recording.

Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: April 2, 2016 01:45

Guys..there should be no debate about which is the better Keith album.
Talk Is Cheap is by far and away the better album no matter which way you care to dice & slice.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 2, 2016 01:51

Just got a look on this thread until it got to page three. That says enough.

1. TALK IS CHEAP by miles.

2. CROSSEYED HEART

3. MAIN OFFENDER was disappointing in 1992 after the fantastic TALK IS CHEAP, even I had to admit it to myself and after only one play to my friends (first telling them THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM BY KEITH!!! LISTEN TO IT!!!) at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-02 01:54 by RipThisBone.

Date: April 2, 2016 03:26

While I love TIC I have always preferred MO. It's the songs that don't get mentioned much that to me really elevate it: "Yap Yap', 'Demon'. And I mean come on! "Hate it when you leave' alone should validate this album.
What is odd about MO though is the strange sequencing of "Runnin too Deep: followed by "Will but you won't". Same key, same intro. First time I heard it I thought my player had got stuck.
But the ending section of WBYW - wow! a symphony of open G, and then Babi Floyd wailing on top.
I can't really say that I think TIC is 'worse'. I love it. Weak point of TIC IMO is the opening of Side 2; 'Rockawhile' and "Whip it Up"
The best Keith/Wino album is a good MO live tour boot

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 2, 2016 10:55

Weak point of TIC IMO is the over-processed FM-friendly overall sound.
MO has a more organic natural "live in the studio" sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-02 17:13 by dcba.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 2, 2016 12:09

I love all three albums dearly. Main Offender disappointed me when it came out, but since a year or so, I started to listen to it again and I started to really love it. And I agree with Palace Revolution about "Hate It When You Leave". And about "Running To Deep" and "Will But You Won't": yes, they are very similar, but both of them grew on me a lot.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 2, 2016 12:22

Palace Revolution 2000

What is odd about MO though is the strange sequencing of "Runnin too Deep: followed by "Will but you won't". Same key, same intro. First time I heard it I thought my player had got stuck.

I ´ve never noticed that.
I only noticed that every song on MO starts with drums - a bit boring. Apart from that MO is a very good album containing a couple of indeed great songs.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 2, 2016 14:23

Well, some great songs on it. Talk is Cheap went Bamm..in your face, main Offender not so much.But then again..Crosseyed heart went..Bam Bam Bang!!Played it 5 times in my car this morning and it is such a Great Album!!!

When the Stones wont do a summer/fall tour this year, i hope Keef will do some solo gigs in Europe and will surprise us, when doing songs from this album.

jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 2, 2016 14:42

Main Offender is the only Winos album really. Love the live feel. Wicked as it seems is a nice slow cooker!! Tough to compare all three, but they are very strong albums

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 2, 2016 14:57

Will you do another solo album?

"Oh anything is up for grabs. Numero uno is the Stones but if they decide to hibernate again, I might well do another one"
[www.thesun.co.uk]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home