Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: If You Can't Rock Me
Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 22, 2016 17:42

Great song, great album.

Mick Taylor's guitar is outstanding in this track.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 22, 2016 17:54

This is a great opener but what follows is a massive letdown, although IORR is still much better than GHS, their most boring album ever.

Mick´s vocals on the studio-recording are perfect and cant be topped, but the playing is better on live-recordings, imo (especially when MT isnt around).

I would call If You Cant Rock Me a classic, a true classic, one of their best songs. Licks-Tour-versions are great thanks to Ronnie´s presence and MT´s absence.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 22, 2016 21:01

Good song, I used to listen to this album quite a bit way back in college, early '80s.
I would call it professionally done but doesn't have the magic from earlier classic rockers.
On the album, I actually like their other more experimental forays like 'FF, If you Really, Luxury and the two ballads on side one.
I do think he is singing 'got one hard' ...

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: June 22, 2016 21:12

beachbreak
Great song, great album.

Mick Taylor's guitar is outstanding in this track.

hot smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 22, 2016 21:31

wonderboy

I never could figure out that line until the LA Friday official release. Definitely "heart". It has since become of my favorite Stones lines!!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 22, 2016 22:13

Always loved this song.

It's not at all original and there are plenty of reasons why it can be criticised.

But it's so much damn fun!

"Now who's that black girl with the bright blue hai-rr-rr???"

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: June 23, 2016 00:46

great song great album.love you live version very lame!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 23, 2016 01:00

wonderboy
Good song, I used to listen to this album quite a bit way back in college, early '80s.
I would call it professionally done but doesn't have the magic from earlier classic rockers.
On the album, I actually like their other more experimental forays like 'FF, If you Really, Luxury and the two ballads on side one.

I used to have the music book to IORR and the lyrics read "...one heart..." Then again, I also had the music book to GHS and the chorus of Star Star read, "You're a starbucker, starbucker, starbucker...." They fooled no one....Oh yeah, and the lyrics to Short and Curlies from IORR read, "She's got you by the boards..." ha ha!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-23 01:03 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 23, 2016 01:03

I like this upbeat rocker, good kickoff to a decent Stones album.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 19, 2017 17:39

Would be nice to continue here the discussion on the "bass" (?) line at the beginning of the middle section.

Remember years ago I asked how it was done

Bass Solo

Many suggestions

Mathijs' guess at the time EMS HiFly

Still I do not have a clue of how it's done. Not even sure about the fingering!

DOes the Stones gear book say anything?

C

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2017 20:07

Kick ass Stones song - lots of memories listening to it when I was young.
Raggedy chaos yet everything is in perfect synch Stones style c.1974.
Wailing guitars, thumping drums and bass, screaming vocals, and raunchy lyrics...gotta love it.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 19, 2017 23:05

great song, with some great outtakes appearing on youtube.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 19, 2017 23:11

Great song. Love it.
Studio version is far better than any live version with Ronnie.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 23:15 by powerage78.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 19, 2017 23:26

great guitars!richards and taylor

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 20, 2017 00:05

I thougt it classic Stones at a very high level of excellent. Not their highest however...for many reasons...
I DO strongly think it could and would have been so much more dynamic if Bill was on this one.
Bill is really excellent on this kind of number; I think in a straight ahead rocker like this, it was not the best decision.
Should have insisted on that wobbly rubber rollin' rockin' slam dang doodle Bill could effortlessly pull off all over numbers like this.
I still think it a great, fun worthwhile. I'm really thinking this is a standout performance. from writing to execution was passion.
I sitll feel that way about it generally speaking but it's not one of the ones I go out of true rock and roll need; I'm sure there is a live version somewhere that would just knock my socks right off, but not knowing of one right off the bat.

I've no critique of length, nor a negative one, but rather a positive one but not rating it super duper highest Stones rocker-level for some reasons, but it's mighty fine stuff up in that level of excellence but leave it to a kooky fan like me to split hairs over who's on bass and etc...
They'd ace this general tune theme, attitdue and passion again, as they had in the past thematically, with the next release Black and Blue's Hand of Fate,,,,
...that comes to mind for example...amother strong straight ahead rocker...(not sure who is playing lead on that one.)
...but as far as a straight ahead rocker circa '73, with an indelible solid groove I think it'd be hard to find too much of an argument against If You Can't Rock Me...the drummer thinks that he is dynamite indeed.

It's not as good as Rocks Off or rockers from Exile but it hangs in there; ,although without the majesty, confidence and creativity behind a wickedly solid groove like Rocks Off; in comparioson it would have a little bit of 'colors by numbers' feel to it. I'd always prefer a big handful of rockers before this one but it's pretty damn good enough....

It ain't Bitch or Rocks Off, it's a step below; but that's a pretty high bar and i'be nothing reallly to judge the song negatively.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-22 05:09 by hopkins.

Date: April 20, 2017 00:57

Such a great brazen song with one of my favorite lines: "I got one heart and it hurts like Hell"

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: April 20, 2017 14:02

A kick-ass song, and one of their very best opening tracks (which is saying quite a lot). And Jagger in particular shines - he sings like a man possessed.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 20, 2017 14:47

"The band's on stage and is one of those nights"............oyeahhhh!!!!
Maybe the best opening lines ever written (along with "please allow me to introduce myself.....")

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 21, 2017 16:39

Great song to start off a great (IORR) album.

Wonderful guitars.

I like the mix on the album!

The album version of IORR is fantastic, live not so.

Most live Stones songs beg for a acoustic guitar being played.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 16:42 by beachbreak.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2017 21:49

Great track but I also love the LYL version morphing into Cloud. Great stuff! They did a decent version on the Licks Tour as well.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2017 21:53

You lovely ladies in your leather and lace
A thousand lips I would love to taste

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:07

When it first came out I listened a lot and really loved it.
If Bill was playing bass here, it'd could've been tops imo.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-23 10:57 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 22, 2017 01:10

Playin' IORR album a lot lately .... still lurv it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2017 01:23

Like all music, IORR comes and goes through my system in cycles, but when it's on it's ON!
Which reminds me, haven't listened to Exile from start to finish in awhile - time to reabsorb it in all it's greatness. And then Beggars Banquet, followed by Let it Bleed, followed by Sticky Fingers. But then there's the Beatles' Revolver and White album that need to be dealt with, not to mention the soon to be released Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary set. And then there's this and that and everything else in between ..not enough hours in the day...life is short...gotta let the music keep on playing...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 22, 2017 02:21

its only rock and roll is a very good album, but suffers by comparison with others, like a lot of stones albums do.

if you cant rock me
its only rock and roll
fingerprint file
time waits for no one
if you really want to be my friend
till the next time goodbye
luxury
short and curlies

range from being good to great.

but few as good as the best from exile.

its similar to goats head soup in quality.

Date: April 22, 2017 02:40

Listened to Living in the Heart of Love today, another song that rocks. I get the Luxury comparison lyric-wise but they really aren't the same.

Date: October 24, 2018 19:26

I just had to comment on "Luxury" and that made me want to re-listen to something here. I noticed something I had not heard before: Keith's rhythm guitar is split onto two tracks. There is some stereo split going on. But it seems a bit more than that. Maybe they put a reverb channel on other side. Not sure.
At first I thought I had discovered another guitar. Can anyone tell what is happening?

Date: October 24, 2018 19:47

Palace Revolution 2000
I just had to comment on "Luxury" and that made me want to re-listen to something here. I noticed something I had not heard before: Keith's rhythm guitar is split onto two tracks. There is some stereo split going on. But it seems a bit more than that. Maybe they put a reverb channel on other side. Not sure.
At first I thought I had discovered another guitar. Can anyone tell what is happening?

There is a third guitar playing syncopated strums, adding to the rhythm.

Date: October 24, 2018 20:17

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

There is a third guitar playing syncopated strums, adding to the rhythm.

That is what I thought at first too, but it is too perfectly mirrored. I can't see Keith doing that. Plus, the harder the attack is on the main track the louder it shows up on the other side. It's something slapping back.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 29, 2018 18:58

drewmaster
I simply LOVE this track; it’s the Stones in all their glory (although the rest of the album is definitely hit-or-miss). From Charlie’s opening gunshot salvo, to the glorious blending of Keith’s crunchy riffing and Taylor’s beautifully melodic guitar that chimes in perfectly a split second later, to Mick’s full-force-but-slightly-hoarse vocal, this one grabs the listener by the throat and never lets go. What a great, chugging rhythm (go Charlie go!!!), and those lyrics, baby, you gotta love ‘em… A thousand lips I would love to taste … I’ve got one heart and it hurts like hell … Who’s that black girl in the bright blue hair? … Rock and roll simply doesn’t get any better than this. I love how, as the song builds momentum in the final stretch of the song, Charlie’s drums go into overdrive, and Mick squeals in ecstasy.

Tight and loose at the same time, IYCRM swings like a motherfukker, and exemplifies the band I love.

Drew

+1 Very fine rock'n roll in my book. I know it's been criticised for being a Stones pastiche (like YGMR) but -even if so- it doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the song. A hugely thrilling listen, blink and you'll miss it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home