Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Effect used on If You Can't Rock me bass solo
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 4, 2012 17:04

Studio version (circa 1,30 m)

Any idea?

C

Re: Effect used on If You Can't Rock me bass solo
Date: September 4, 2012 17:16

Flanger?

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: September 4, 2012 17:33

Sounds like a MXR phase pedal.

Date: September 4, 2012 20:13

Not 100% convinced, but I'll try them tonight!

C

Date: September 4, 2012 20:49

An Envelope Filter is what it sounds like.
In 74 MXR was around; but probably just starting with the Phaser 90, Dyna Comp and some Distortion.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 5, 2012 04:17

Keith and Taylor used something called "Black Boxes" (not the same one used to withdraw from heroin!) on IORR. Read about it at the time in one of the music rags, maybe Creem. I am still not sure what a "black box" is, but the same effect can be heard on other songs on the album. The sound hasn't aged that well, imo, though it's cool on IYCRM.

Date: September 5, 2012 12:49

Tried the flanger and the MXR phase, but it didn't sound right.

I don't have the Envelope Filter, so I don't know.

Black Boxes?

And what about MT's guitar on the same song? Only a Wha?

C

Date: September 5, 2012 12:51

71Tele
Keith and Taylor used something called "Black Boxes" (not the same one used to withdraw from heroin!) on IORR. Read about it at the time in one of the music rags, maybe Creem. I am still not sure what a "black box" is, but the same effect can be heard on other songs on the album. The sound hasn't aged that well, imo, though it's cool on IYCRM.

I wonder if "Black Boxes" was a term coined by the writer. It is a Creem writer in '74. Chances are non-musicians were barely familiar with guitar f/x at all; or even direct boxes for that matter.
Mind you, I have not seen the article. I could be way off; just surmising.

I don't really hear that f/x on other guitars on the album. Billy Preston's clavinet is around.
IORR has a lot of low-ish register guitars. I don't often see this album get the most positive reviews but I love it.
The "big" chord guitar on "Aint Too proud to beg" plus Keith's solo
The opening guitar on "Luxury"
The rhythm guitar on "Dance Lil Sister"
And at 3:30 of "Fingerprint" one of m y favorite moments on album, when the main guitar comes back in after the first quiet breakdown.
"Criss Cross" also has that great low-midrange sound guitar.

The guitars on IORR album should be a thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-06 00:16 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: September 5, 2012 12:59

Might be an envelope filter. Might also be an octave box involved (check out the low registered tones)

Do you think Jagger is playing straight off the amp on Fingerprint File, Palace? Sounds like he's using some kind of f/x.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 5, 2012 13:05

To me, that bass sounds mostly just distorted and EQ:ed. Has a lot of midrange to it. Could have a bit of subtle envelope follower, but not much. (Use an envelope follower on deep settings and you'll sound much more like Bootsy Collins.)

I own a MXR Phase 90, a flanger, four wahs and have experimented a lot with software envelope followers and flangers, though I'm no expert at identifying things like this.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 5, 2012 13:26

It most probably is the EMS HiFly.

[www.gilmourish.com]

Many of the effects on IORR are by this effects unit, most notable on Richards' guitar parts like the fuzz on Ain't Too Proud, the bass on IYCRM, the flange sounds on TWFNO, maybe the fuzz on the rythm guitar of DLS.

Taylor's main guitar sound in '74 and '75 (with Jack Bruce) was a soft phase, either using a MXR-90 or the frequency selector on the ES-355 he used, and some soft slap back delay. Both his solo's on TWFNO and IYRWTBMF use that combination of effects.

Jagger's guitar on FF has a real Leslie to it.

Mathijs

Date: September 5, 2012 14:52

That thing looks like it belongs in someone's bathroom.

Date: September 6, 2012 00:17

LieB
I am literally holding my gut laughing. That is so funny. It does look like a scale.
I didn't know it was this box they were using.
I really don't know of many using stompboxes yet. (Marc Bolan e.g had success with the Dallas Rangemaster; Hendrix with Uni-Vibe; all with Wah Wahs). So I think it is trickier to pjnpoint what they were using.

Jagger's sound on FF is so awesome because on top of the Leslie he has so much crunch, and it is recorded well.

Date: September 6, 2012 00:21

Is that fuzz on Keith's guitar on ATPTB? Doesn't really sound that much like Fuzz.

Date: September 12, 2012 23:25

Palace Revolution 2000
LieB
I am literally holding my gut laughing. That is so funny. It does look like a scale.

grinning smiley

Palace Revolution 2000
Is that fuzz on Keith's guitar on ATPTB? Doesn't really sound that much like Fuzz.

The only really distorted guitar I hear is the lead solo/break at around 1:33, and to my ears it could be just an overdriven amplifier (which is usually what Keith has used for distorted sounds throughout the Stones career).

Date: September 13, 2012 01:00

LieB
Palace Revolution 2000
LieB

grinning smiley

Palace Revolution 2000

The only really distorted guitar I hear is the lead solo/break at around 1:33, and to my ears it could be just an overdriven amplifier (which is usually what Keith has used for distorted sounds throughout the Stones career).

My point too. That "powerchord" sounds also just like an amp turned up with a bit of O/D; for the 1st verse. Afterwards that chord rings longer, but it is two instruments. There's a keyboard (IMO) that picks it up in other channel.

Date: September 13, 2012 01:06

Yes, there's a fat clavinet sound with a phasing effect in the right channel (at least) during the power chord, and no particular guitar of note.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home