Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: If You Can't Rock Me
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 9, 2011 12:46

71Tele

I agree with that. I do still think that track - and that album - marked the beginning of a long decline and diminished inspiration (broken up by Some Girls and Tattoo You).

Long decline? There's just three years between IORR and the '77 Pathe Marconi sessions, which are the most fruitful sessions since say '66. And in those three years they had a major US and European tour, searched for a guitarist, released a studio album and a live album.

If only B&B was a bit more satisfying nobody would say there was such a decline.

Mathijs

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: August 9, 2011 12:47

ín my humble opinion it can´t compete with SG...not at least....the songs are much weaker, its sounds forced, bordering on self-parody even in their better moments ... If You Really Want is on of their all-time lows regarding ballads....

Date: August 9, 2011 12:51

Mathijs
71Tele

I agree with that. I do still think that track - and that album - marked the beginning of a long decline and diminished inspiration (broken up by Some Girls and Tattoo You).

Long decline? There's just three years between IORR and the '77 Pathe Marconi sessions, which are the most fruitful sessions since say '66. And in those three years they had a major US and European tour, searched for a guitarist, released a studio album and a live album.

If only B&B was a bit more satisfying nobody would say there was such a decline.

Mathijs

thumbs up

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 9, 2011 13:12

iF YOU REALLY..........gresat ballad, great Leslie guitar.........

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 9, 2011 14:50

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
71Tele

Mathijs

thumbs up

+1 Had they included songs like Worried, Slave and Tops (I know it's Taylor on Tops), it could very well have been considered their great funky cool/laid back 70s soul record. Black and blue could have a had depth and theme or idea that it lacks now. It's not bad music, it's not bad production, not bad songs but not enough songs and maybe the real letdown is that there is no great hit single. However a hit single (like Miss you) would not have mattered had the record been a real record and not just an EP. It's simply too short.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 9, 2011 17:06

Great lyrics, weak tune.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 9, 2011 19:48

Mathijs
71Tele

Mathijs

I stand by my comments. The overall quality of the work diminished after GHS and I acknowledged that Some Girls interrupted this decline. All down hill after that.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 9, 2011 20:01

Stones almost legendary glam funk hybrid. Falls a bit short of the mark however. A fun listen regardless, always loved the bridge oh and the rotating riff-which was re-worked for "Hand of Fate"

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 10, 2011 01:51

I simply LOVE this track; it’s the Stones in all their glory (although the rest of the album is definitely hit-or-miss). From Charlie’s opening gunshot salvo, to the glorious blending of Keith’s crunchy riffing and Taylor’s beautifully melodic guitar that chimes in perfectly a split second later, to Mick’s full-force-but-slightly-hoarse vocal, this one grabs the listener by the throat and never lets go. What a great, chugging rhythm (go Charlie go!!!), and those lyrics, baby, you gotta love ‘em… A thousand lips I would love to taste … I’ve got one heart and it hurts like hell … Who’s that black girl in the bright blue hair? … Rock and roll simply doesn’t get any better than this. I love how, as the song builds momentum in the final stretch of the song, Charlie’s drums go into overdrive, and Mick squeals in ecstasy.

Tight and loose at the same time, IYCRM swings like a motherfukker, and exemplifies the band I love.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 22:41 by drewmaster.

Date: August 10, 2011 10:19

71Tele
Mathijs
71Tele

Mathijs

I stand by my comments. The overall quality of the work diminished after GHS and I acknowledged that Some Girls interrupted this decline. All down hill after that.

For me, Undercover was a major improvement in quality, compared to GHS. Then, the decline would have started in 1986.

I'm just curious, do you include ER in "the decline"?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 11, 2011 01:25

drewmaster
I simply LOVE this track; it’s the Stones in all their glory (although the rest of the album is definitely hit-or-miss). From Charlie’s opening gunshot salvo, to the glorious blending of Keith’s crunchy riffing and Taylor’s beautifully melodic guitars that chime in perfectly a split second later, to Mick’s full-force-but-slightly-hoarse vocal, this one grabs the listener by the throat and never lets go. What a great, chugging rhythm (go Charlie go!!!), and those lyrics, baby, you gotta love ‘em… A thousand lips I would love to taste … I’ve got one heart and it hurts like hell … Who’s that black girl in the bright blue hair? … Rock and roll simply doesn’t get any better than this. I love how, as the song builds momentum in the final stretch of the song, Charlie’s drums go into overtime, and Mick squeals in ecstasy.

Tight and loose at the same time, IYCRM swings like a motherfukker, and exemplifies the band I love.

Drew

Yep....
Its a fun song, just balls-out fun and loud and sexy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 11, 2011 07:52

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Mathijs
71Tele

Mathijs

For me, Undercover was a major improvement in quality, compared to GHS. Then, the decline would have started in 1986.

I'm just curious, do you include ER in "the decline"?

Really? I find it unlistenable.

Date: August 11, 2011 10:17

ER or Undercover?

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 11, 2011 17:42

I always loved the boogie woogie piano in the live version when they segue into Get Off My Cload. They broke this one out at MSG a few years back and i was shocked and happily surprised. I have to admit, as i was singing along, i expected them go right into Get Off My Cloud!

It sounded great live, once again--even without being a medley.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 11, 2011 17:45

drewmaster
I’ve got one heart and it hurts like hell

Since I first heard that song until today, I thought it was "I've got one hard and it hurts like hell." I thought it was odd and assumed it was British slang or something, but the whole thing's about sex, right? It fits. Maybe he was wearing tight pants that day or something.

(I see somebody mentioned they thought the same thing earlier in this thread)

Also, I always heard "a thousand hips I would love to taste"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-11 17:58 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: August 15, 2011 17:11

2 things make this track for me: Mick's vocals and keith's excellent bass playing -listen to the high melodic notes on the intro and then how it drops down to the root just before Mick starts singing. This may have been discussed on here before but Keith is a very underrated bass player (as is Bill for that matter.....)

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 11:38

Great singing by Mick, great guitar work by both Keith and Taylor, what is Wyman's excuse for not playing bass on this?

This is actually a reasonable start to an album, however, beware the naive listener, who is soon in for a world of hurt...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 16, 2015 02:22

I think this song is a beauty (studio version). Did not know it was Keith on bass until now. Re- listened about 4 times today,

it's got Jagger at his best- pissed off, voice sounds full and rested, I can hear his saliva. His non- singing sounds: brilliant. He can do an 'almost growl' just goes low somehow in his voice box, and re-verbs. He is under-rated as a vocalist, IMO.

Of course Mick Taylor, classic MT here, he can draw out his notes if enough time then build with soul he only seems to express when playing, and when he only has 10 seconds he can riff so tight and clean, you want to check his hands, look at the pads on his fingers.

I thought: bass is fantastic when you listen for it (Keith! who knew, probably you guys) and his classic short rift over and over, so 'easy' but it must be the intention behind it, whatever, it's the cling to in the song, what you move to.

Charlie, playing on top, rat-a-tat-tat quickly, also holding the beat.
Yeah, I really like this one, always have.

Oh and this line:
'I've got one heart and it hurts like hell'
Pretty much sums up a lot, somehow. 'Simply die for some thrills and spills'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 02:43 by 35love.

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: August 16, 2015 03:13

Great guitars, great opening riff, but not much melody to talk of and the song tries too hard to be menancing.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 16, 2015 07:44

Once again, Luxury is left out. One of their greatest songs.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 16, 2015 08:35

Lurv the studio version ... always have ....

fave lyrics no matter which way ya take 'em ....

You lovely ladies in your leather and lace
A thousand lips I would love to taste

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 16, 2015 08:44

Rockman

Yeah -great lyrics - It should be a stand alone song in concert.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 16, 2015 11:31

Silver Dagger
I must admit I was underwhelmed when I first heard this.

Compared to other openers such as Sympathy For The Devil, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Rock's Off and even Dancing With Mr D it was was I call, the start of the 'Roger Moore Years' for the Stones as opposed to the cool Sean Connery years before then. The menace had gone and it was replaced with tongue-in-cheek humour.

For me, It's Only Rock'n'Roll represented the start of comedy and self-parody in the Stones recording career - songs like the title track, Short and Curlies, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, and this.

I guess a lot of the tension and drama of the psychedelic London years with their busts; Nellcote and Jamaica had ended and the Stones were generally living apart and enjoying their own domestic situations rather than living near each other and living common experiences as they used to.

Anyway, back to the song - it's an averaqe rocker for the band but it's let down by a true lack of dynamics. There's no light and dark or the sudden killer introduction of Sympathy like guitar solo to melt your brain.

So for me a mildly enjoyable toe tapper but nothing special.

Now only clumsily on my smartphone.

To varying degree, I disagree about the rest of the quoted. But the last two paragraphs starting with "Anyway, back to the song, ......", without my being able to find the words to express it, is a very good representation of how I react to the song.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 16, 2015 16:49

DandelionPowderman
What made the studio version magical is Mick's vocals.

Mick's vocals and Taylor' guitar.

woeful song really...saved by the 2 Micks.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 16, 2015 18:34

Rockman

When I listen to this song I find myself singing those lyrics at random times for days. I think I'm gonna throw this one on now!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 16, 2015 18:56

I think this is a great rocker from the Stones. It suffers from a bit of a thin sounding guitars or something but the energy and groove is there and Jagger's vocal and lyrics are superb.

Turning up the bass and midrange a bit and playing this one LOUD always gets me moving. It's nasty rock similar to Stray Cat Blues, something the Stones are almost uniquely qualified to play and this one fits them perfectly.

I wish they would take the original multitracks and mix them with modern techniques, really putting that bass down where you can feel it and giving the guitars a bit more power. I believe the impact on the listener would be amazing because all the performance elements on this one are there.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 16, 2015 20:55

I'm not a huge fan of this song (or the album Iorr). But the live version from 75 was ok.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 22, 2016 14:47

Lately this has been puzzling me -

Most, if not all the lyrics scripts mention "if you can't rock me somebody will"; plain and simple.

but listening to the actual vocals, I'm hearing in betweens, take make for a slightly different sentence. In fact, I think I hear two different ones - though I'm not really sure. And as it so often goes, (especially!) with Stones lyrics: the more you listen to them intensly, the blurier it gets.

I'm hearing "If you can't rock me, I'll find someone who will" - ànd "If you can't rock me? Fine - somebody will...".

...What do the good people at IORR think?

Date: June 22, 2016 16:00

I'm hearing that, too. The Stones have a lot of ghost vocals that bled through on their final tracks. More than other bands smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 22, 2016 16:51

Ghost vocals, kindred spirits... smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home