Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT:Most Overrated Guitarists
Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 18, 2011 22:59

TropicalDisease75
Dig the topic.

1. Eric Clapton - Long on technique and short on passion. Hasn't recorded anything close to exceptional since 1970. And even his supposed solo classics (461 Ocean Blvd, Slowhand, From The Cradle) are wildly overrated. Seems to be more interested in fashion than living up to his considerable talent. Plastic blues and soul. When was the last time you listened to an entire Clapton album? And enjoyed it?

2. The Edge - Good lord, he might be the single most boring guitar player in history. Has anyone ever relied more on effects and less on ability than this supposed guitar legend? Without the studio fairydust and the multitude of effects he's not left with much. U2....ugh.

3. Joe Satriani/Steve Vai - Might as well be the same person as far as I'm concerned. Mindless and soulless. For me, it's about what's not played as well as the notes played. Somebody never told these guys that. Not to mention the fact that they forgot music is also about composition, not just a flury of notes played as fast as possible. Musical masterbation.

4. Tom Morello

5. Kirk Hammet

TD75

Excellent report. I would switch Hammett with Hendrix

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 18, 2011 23:07

Claire_M
DiscoVolante
George Harrison

Isn't the solo on "All You Need Is Love" one of the most amateurish, inexplicably inept ever?

I've been saying that for years. What was he thinking? Everytime I hear it I have to shake my head.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 18, 2011 23:28

"Believe it. Sooooooooo overrated"

Translation in correct English : "I don't like him"... smoking smiley
Hendrix is up there with C. Parker and Django Reinhardt : era-marking musicians.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 19, 2011 00:02

More Hot Rocks
Claire_M
DiscoVolante
George Harrison

Isn't the solo on "All You Need Is Love" one of the most amateurish, inexplicably inept ever?

I've been saying that for years. What was he thinking? Everytime I hear it I have to shake my head.

It's a bit spacey and weird. In other words, it fits the song perfectly.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 19, 2011 00:05

71Tele
It's a bit spacey and weird. In other words, it fits the song perfectly.

you like spacey and weird but you don't like the summer of love...hmmmm....hmmmm....hmmmm....

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 19, 2011 00:14

How are people judging these guitarists? I don't mean that as a criticism I just wondered how many of you are guitarists? Personally I know sod all except I know what I like. I love the solos in Hand of Fate and Sway but I don't know if one is difficult, both are or neither are but I love them both.

My favourite guitarists are people like David Gilmour and Paul Kossof who sound great every time, move me and have their own sound. Does anybody else sound like Gilmour?

I don't like the soulless, twiddly twiddly heavy metal guitarists who followed in the wake of Eddie Van Halen. They all sound like the same guy to me. In fact I have to nominate Eddie as overrated. I loved VH1 and enjoyed many of their other records but did Eddie ever change, progress or even sound like he could play something different?

As for Clappo I love some of his songs and I'm bored to tears by the blandness of others but overrated? OK he's not God but he is great surely? He always sounds high quality and, like all the best, it sounds effortless. You can't imagine him face pulling and posing.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: May 19, 2011 00:29

Braincapers
Does anybody else sound like Gilmour?
No, he has a tone that nobody can touch, Every note he plays is so freaking clean.
Gilmour is my number one guitarist of all time. Amazing guy.

As for the rest of your post: thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 19, 2011 00:42

Keith Richards. For being such a guitar icon his guitar playing is overrated, most certainly over the last 30 years.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 19, 2011 00:50

What's really funny is that this thread now has as many posts as the undererated guitarist thread. Which proves my point that nobody is overrated or underrated and criticizing someone's musical taste is just stupid.....That and we need a @#$%& tour.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 19, 2011 13:36

DiscoVolante
George Harrison

Kind of since Clapton were the one that played his most famous solo...

It works against Harrison too, as Lennon gets credit for the Let it Be solo.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: May 19, 2011 14:10

van halen is not overrated imho.whether you like him or not he is a incredible guitarist.i do agree i don't care for all the copy cat's that followed him but you can't blame him for that. he opened up a whole new world of playing.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 19, 2011 15:49

dcba

Translation in correct English : "I don't like him"... smoking smiley
Hendrix is up there with C. Parker and Django Reinhardt : era-marking musicians.

i agree 100% with everything said here! Yeah baby >grinning smiley<

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 19, 2011 15:55

Anyone who plays pentatonic blues noodling is overrated - Clapton's solos bore the life out of me.

Clapton and the like are slightly redeemed by coming up with memorable RIFFS (Layla is a great riff, as is Sunshine).

Keith is the RIFFmaster, Keith is not overrated.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 19, 2011 16:08

When your reputation overshadows your actuall skills you are overrated. Keith has delivered poorly the last three decades. He was much better before that though.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 19, 2011 16:57

the only guitarist that's not overrated is BRIAN JONES...is my conclusion after reading all the posts....smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: May 19, 2011 17:02

Keith and The Edge may not be the best guitarists. But, they produce a sound and impact like no other. The idea that Keith actually 'invented' some sounds and riffs is part of his greatness. And The Edge, his notes needs to be heard in a big stadium or arena for impact- it just blows me away. His timimg and searing intensity goes well with the crowds intensity.

I never thought much of George Harrison's guitar playing.

Date: May 19, 2011 17:08

could someone PLEASE post the official guitarist ratings?

Date: May 19, 2011 18:53

Joe Bonamassa #1 everybody else is tied for #2

Date: May 19, 2011 18:57

More Hot Rocks

cool - i didn't think i was in that kind of company. maybe one of these days i can give joe a run for his top spot. let's see....there's the e chord...now the a....where's d again?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 19, 2011 19:03

lapaz62
DiscoVolante
George Harrison

Kind of since Clapton were the one that played his most famous solo...

It works against Harrison too, as Lennon gets credit for the Let it Be solo.

The album version, with the distorted solo is Lennon.
The single version, with the Leslie'd solo, is Harrison.

Date: May 19, 2011 21:13

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

cool - i didn't think i was in that kind of company. maybe one of these days i can give joe a run for his top spot. let's see....there's the e chord...now the a....where's d again?

StonesTod that means your tied for last place.

Date: May 19, 2011 21:18

More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

you're a kinda glass half empty type, i see.

for me, i don't care if the glass is half-empty or half-full, as long as there's whisky in it...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 20, 2011 01:46

KEEFRIFF, I didn't say Satriani SUCKED, I said he is over-rated!! His drummer, now that's another story.....
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 20, 2011 02:46

I haven't read all of this thread, but being an amateur guitarist, I'm sure everyone who has been mentioned are more qualified then I'll ever be. That being said, I'm going to say guitarists that never moved my soul are...Eric Clapton and Bruce Springsteen.

Date: May 20, 2011 04:08

Harrison recorded all the guitar solos for Let It Be, some in January 1969 and more overdubs in January 1970. Phil Spector decided to use it, George Martin chose not to for the single version. If anything there was a rumour of McCartney doing the overdubs.People just like to believe its Lennon because of the rawness of the solo but its Harrison.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 04:18 by lapaz62.

Date: May 20, 2011 04:23

lapaz62
Harrison recorded all the guitar solos for Let It Be, some in January 1969 and more overdubs in January 1970. Phil Spector decided to use it, George Martin chose not to for the single version. If anything there was a rumour of McCartney doing the overdubs.People just like to believe its Lennon because of the rawness of the solo but its Harrison.

After checking Lewishon's book, I stand corrected. The Leslie solo on LIB is a nice touch. Harrison always sounded good on a Leslie.

Date: May 20, 2011 04:31

On the Album version, if you listen closely you can hear the other Leslie solo as well but its deep in the mix.

Date: May 20, 2011 05:13

lapaz62
On the Album version, if you listen closely you can hear the other Leslie solo as well but its deep in the mix.

True. You can hear that with Keith on The Lantern, too.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:05

Bingo
I haven't read all of this thread, but being an amateur guitarist, I'm sure everyone who has been mentioned are more qualified then I'll ever be. That being said, I'm going to say guitarists that never moved my soul are...Eric Clapton and Bruce Springsteen.

I wonder how many people there are going round and say - I really admire Bruce Springsteen for his guitarplaying...

Clapton is God! It's that easy for us that's intressted in guitarists and were a part of it under the sixties...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 20, 2011 14:22

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

you're a kinda glass half empty type, i see.

for me, i don't care if the glass is half-empty or half-full, as long as there's whisky in it...

Canadian Club?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home