Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: OT:Most Overrated Guitarists
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 17, 2011 21:54

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 17, 2011 22:55

Mike McCready from Pearl Jam. He's the lead guitarist in this band and his "epic" soloing live on songs like "Even Flow" (5-6 minutes) is simply dreadful.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 18, 2011 01:46

Wow, some folks think HENDRIX and Mick Taylor are over-rated?? I disagree there! And Clapton can be a bit dull on certain occasions but he is a GIANT as guitarists go, not over-rated. I think that Joe Satriani is way over-rated simply because he relies on guitar tricks, and he's fast but not my cup of tea!

Date: May 18, 2011 01:55

mickschix
Wow, some folks think HENDRIX and Mick Taylor are over-rated?? I disagree there! And Clapton can be a bit dull on certain occasions but he is a GIANT as guitarists go, not over-rated. I think that Joe Satriani is way over-rated simply because he relies on guitar tricks, and he's fast but not my cup of tea!

you're welcome:

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 05:45

24FPS
buffalo7478

As solo players, neither Ronnie, Blondie, Keith nor Brian is very good. (quote)

Is there some weird idea here among some people that solos on slide guitar are not solos? Or are somehow not as valuable or technically on the level of 'real' solos? Brian's electric slide solo on 'I Wanna Be Your Man' was groundbreaking. I've never heard a more expressive player on slide. I guess Duane Allman should have thrown away his coricidin bottle. And Ron Wood's slide playing on 'Rough Justice' was pretty damn good.

Duane Allman is amazing, I love his playing, so emotive. He made Derek and the Dominoes for me, even though he was basically a session play and didn't really tour with them afterward. I don't see the comparison of ANY of the Stones guitarists to him. If anything, listening to Brian or Ronnie reinforces the point that they are not in that league, at all. They fit roles with the band, but are not great guitarists.

Keith was once one of the great rhythm guitarists of all time, playing with fire, but that was decades ago.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 07:40

Hendrix, Page, Clapton and Van Halen....overrated!?....are you kidding me?

Truly overrated....Robert Johnson
...................Ace Frehley
...................Robert Fripp

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 18, 2011 08:25

...why Ace Frehley?...he's doin well playing in a sloppy band like Kizz...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 18, 2011 09:26

rattler2004

as far as i know ace frehley invented finger tapping unless there is someone who was doing it and there is footage of them doing it prior to 1972

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 18, 2011 15:51

keefriffhard4life
as far as i know ace frehley invented finger tapping unless there is someone who was doing it and there is footage of them doing it prior to 1972

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:05

Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its over rated, most could play rings around all of us, exept for the edge, I mean how much delay can a person stand.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:12

keefriffhard4life
rattler2004

And Ace sings "2000 Man".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:24

People have been finger tapping violins for hundreds of years, I guess someone had to try it on guitar. I read John Mclaughlin say that he was doing it in the 60s but didnt have 20 marshalls behind him.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:45

well, that just about covers every guitar player that comes to mind.

just wondering who people consider to be good players, seeing as Hendrix, Page, Clapton, vai, satriani, gibbons, young, townshend, guy and everyone else mentioned here are overrated?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:59

I think sometime people call certain guitarists overrated becasue they just don't like them for whatever reason.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 18, 2011 17:10

More Hot Rocks
I think sometime people call certain guitarists overrated becasue they just don't like them for whatever reason.

interesting theory. perhaps by extension one could argue that they also call certain guitarists underrated because they just do like them for whatever reason.

i need to go ponder and ruminate some more....

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 18, 2011 17:22

Bert Weedon.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: May 18, 2011 18:15

George Harrison

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 18, 2011 18:19

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

interesting theory. perhaps by extension one could argue that they also call certain guitarists underrated because they just do like them for whatever reason.

That's why these type of discussions are pointless and always end up in name dropping without any argumentation.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 18, 2011 18:22

DiscoVolante
George Harrison

Kind of since Clapton were the one that played his most famous solo...

Date: May 18, 2011 18:36

Koen
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

That's why these type of discussions are pointless and always end up in name dropping without any argumentation.

haha. yeah. well, the whole idea of someone being underrated or overrated is presumably founded on some ridiculous notion that someone is rated at all. where are these ratings? i've been looking and looking.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 18, 2011 18:45

StonesTod
Koen
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

haha. yeah. well, the whole idea of someone being underrated or overrated is presumably founded on some ridiculous notion that someone is rated at all. where are these ratings? i've been looking and looking.

Maybe it means popularity. Look at the names Mario Andretti and Neil Armrstrong. Both are household names but that doesn't mean they were the best at what they did.

Date: May 18, 2011 18:51

More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
Koen
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

Maybe it means popularity. Look at the names Mario Andretti and Neil Armrstrong. Both are household names but that doesn't mean they were the best at what they did.

there are astronaut ratings? i guess the sky's the limit with these guys...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 18, 2011 18:54

Come On
DiscoVolante
George Harrison

Kind of since Clapton were the one that played his most famous solo...

You try playing that Chet Atkins stuff!

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 18, 2011 19:45

DiscoVolante
George Harrison

Isn't the solo on "All You Need Is Love" one of the most amateurish, inexplicably inept ever?

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: May 18, 2011 20:20

When I think of The Beatles and guitars I think of the mean Helter Skelter and the wierd backwards solo in Taxman and it's actually McCartney who does both. On the acoustic Blackbird and Dear Prudence it's again McCartney. And as mentioned above, Eric Clapton plays the solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Harrison was à great songwriter though, sometimes greater than both Lennon/McCartney.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 18, 2011 20:31

DiscoVolante
On the acoustic Blackbird and Dear Prudence it's again McCartney.

I thought that it was Lennon on Dear Prudence? I've read that he had learned that style of finger-picking from Donovan whilst in India together.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 18, 2011 21:36

Ace Frehley
Jerry Garcia
Kirk Hammett

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: May 18, 2011 22:54

DiscoVolante
When I think of The Beatles and guitars I think of the mean Helter Skelter and the wierd backwards solo in Taxman and it's actually McCartney who does both.
thumbs up Paul is and was an underrated guitarist. The solo in Taxman is forward though and backward guitar was Harrison's thing.

Big Al
I thought that it was Lennon on Dear Prudence? I've read that he had learned that style of finger-picking from Donovan whilst in India together.
It is Lennon and what you've read is true. smiling smiley

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 18, 2011 22:58

The Sicilian
mickscarey
Hendrix, easy one

Your nuts. He is one of the best if not the best in rock.

Believe it. Sooooooooo overrated

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 22:58

Claire_M
Slash is popular sure, but was he really ever highly rated as a guitarist? He's adequate but, as someone else here aptly described, pedestrian.

For those of you who said The Edge: try to he'p me understand. We all know that he's not a Yngwie Malmsteen-type player who dazzles with his technique. He's an emotional musician, he's going to hit you in the heart, preferably with a minimum number of notes and avoiding the major third like the plague. When you listen to the solos in "Even Better than the Real Thing" "New Year's Day" "Until the End of the World" (please listen to that last one, from Achtung, Baby), don't you hear what he's trying to do? I think he plays beautifully, always has.

I agree. Edge created a sound....and he's not a Satriani-style or even a Keith-style guitarists in any technical sense, but he plays to the song, the context. He can be beautiful, like in "Running to Stand Still", "Bad" - simple, but esxquisite and it lifts the song to an emotional high. And in political songs like "New Year's Day" or "In the Name of Love" or "I Will Follow" - there is an urgency to his playiing, an edge and it gives the song a visceral power.

Edge cannot be overrated. And yes, the guitar in "Until the End of the World" is amazing. I always remember what Bono said about "Bullet the Blue Sky" - he told Edge what kind of sound he wanted: 'Put El Salvador throught the amplifier...' and that's exactly what he did.That's not a trick or an effect, that's putting your heart and soul into a song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-18 23:05 by stupidguy2.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home