Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT:Most Overrated Guitarists
Date: May 20, 2011 14:33

DiscoVolante:
George Harrison

George Harrison overrated???

Wtf? The man has composed, written and played on some of the best Beatles songs ever, imo. Always laying down a tasteful or innovative guitar arrangement.

Do the guitars on Here Comes The Sun or Something sound like coming from a poor guitar player to you?

What are we talking about here - guitar solos only?

Remember, guitar soloing is only ONE part of a guitar players voice. Other parts - just as important are sound-development, songwriting, arranging, rhythm playing, variety, tightness with band members, the sense of when to play or not to play, etc, etc. etc.

George Harrison is NOT overrated. Christ!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 20, 2011 14:39

Agreed! George Harrison was the solo-guitarist in The Beatles for Christ Sake!

smoking smileycool smileysmiling smileygrinning smiley
John George Paul Ringo

Posted by: folke ()
Date: May 20, 2011 15:42

Bingo
I haven't read all of this thread, but being an amateur guitarist, I'm sure everyone who has been mentioned are more qualified then I'll ever be. That being said, I'm going to say guitarists that never moved my soul are...Eric Clapton and Bruce Springsteen.

Bruce Springsteen's guitarsolo in Candy's room moves my soul a little bit.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 22, 2011 05:39

Harrison was brilliant! Oh my GOD, how could he ever be called anything less than sensational? And why did the Leslie fade away? I loved that sound! I know, it's a 60's thing but when something sounds that good, why is it a thing of the past?

Posted by: agorachief ()
Date: May 22, 2011 05:57

sweetcharmedlife
Eddie Van Halen
John Mayer
Prince
Billy Gibbons
Blondie Chaplin

I've seen Prince live. His prowess on the guitar
looks almost effortless, but he knows his way around
the fretboard. Great technique and emotion and good
taste. Except for workouts such as "Whole Lotta Love."
his playing is there to serve the song. He's the Mick
Taylor of R&B!

"Marie, we need more butter on the flapjacks, please."

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 22, 2011 14:23

mickschix
Wow, some folks think HENDRIX and Mick Taylor are over-rated?? I disagree there! And Clapton can be a bit dull on certain occasions but he is a GIANT as guitarists go, not over-rated. I think that Joe Satriani is way over-rated simply because he relies on guitar tricks, and he's fast but not my cup of tea!

Satriani relies on guitar "tricks"?

Man the guy has a lot more understanding when it comes to harmonics than Clapton,and a 100000 more "tricks".

And what's wrong with playing fast ?? It seems to be a taboo on this site.

Some people like to walk, others take a Jet.

The version <keefriffhard4life> posted is great. The guy plays with great feeling here.

Another one:

Date: May 22, 2011 17:15

yeah satriani doesn't just play fast he does tons of things

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 22, 2011 17:19

This version of the Pachelbel canon is bad, really bad, the piece is beautiful, although it is played to often, but this Satriani version is kitsch.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 22, 2011 17:46

What a stupid clip, it shows pictures of him playing electric with a band, and you only hear an acoustic guitar. It would be so much more interesting if you could actually see him play the music you are hearing.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: May 22, 2011 17:51

Clapton and myself

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 22, 2011 17:52

It's very difficult to discuss Overrated Guitarist, it's just a matter of taste.................

As for Satriani, he is one of the best technical guitarist, but it doesn't work for me ...no soul...just empty music for me

I rather listen to this (especially from 6.40).......simple but they try to say something through music.

Or the early Clapton
Hendrix
Richards

Date: May 22, 2011 19:14

Koen
What a stupid clip, it shows pictures of him playing electric with a band, and you only hear an acoustic guitar. It would be so much more interesting if you could actually see him play the music you are hearing.

Lol, IMO Satriani is not the kind of player you need to see. Much of his playing does enough for me. His posing is just a bonus. winking smiley

And yes,it might be called kitch - he is no Segovia, but compared to many famous rock guitarists his right hand finger technique is very good and balanced, as far as the voicings are concerned.

Date: May 23, 2011 02:33

Thank you , NICOS! That's what I said but I guess it has to come from a MALE or it gets dissed around here! ( I am referring to Satriani). It is technically excellent but I'd much rather listen to a Harrison, or Santana, or Clapton...the feeling comes through.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 23, 2011 02:39

mickschix
Thank you , NICOS! That's what I said but I guess it has to come from a MALE or it gets dissed around here! ( I am referring to Satriani). It is technically excellent but I'd much rather listen to a Harrison, or Santana, or Clapton...the feeling comes through.
i do agree with you this time

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 23, 2011 07:35

Lol. Alot of the picks here are what I'd expect from some smarmy know it all rock critic.....great job.

Remember those types hated Exile too.....food for thought

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 23, 2011 08:29

Joe Satriani. He's a juggler, not a musician...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 23, 2011 16:15

Come On
Joe Satriani. He's a juggler, not a musician...

Yep Dude, you can tell that to Mick jagger.

Date: May 24, 2011 01:56

That's a good thing that we agree Rooster!! LOL! And Amsterdamned, I was wondering when someone would bring that up...about Mick using Satriani on his solo tour. Hey, he just doesn't move me....Joe I mean! I think Mick could have picked another lead guitar like Jeff Beck maybe. Who knows, maybe Satriani happened to be available at that time and they clicked.

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:06

This is quite a negative thread raging here. We should be talking underrated guitarists. I nominate Richie Havens and Jerry Garcia.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:11

Laughingsam
This is quite a negative thread raging here. We should be talking underrated guitarists. I nominate Richie Havens and Jerry Garcia.
We have one of those a week.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:13

We all know this one I guess..................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-24 13:55 by NICOS.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:25

Exhile is over rated.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 24, 2011 19:31

DaveG
Never thought I'd say this, bit I have to admit that Alvin Lee should be on the list. I am a Ten Years After fan but when I was recently listening to "Ten Years After Live at the Fillmore East", it became painfully obvious that he plays virtually the same riff in just about every song. He may be fast but certainly not innovative.
Ever hear this one?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 8, 2011 04:45

tomk
lapaz62
On the Album version, if you listen closely you can hear the other Leslie solo as well but its deep in the mix.

True. You can hear that with Keith on The Lantern, too.

I think you're maybe mistaking Brians organ part which is mixed really low for the majority of the track, for some low mixed guitar part!?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2011 04:50

lapaz62
Exhile is over rated.

So is your ability to spell.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:54

the entire Rolling Stones catalog is overrated, starting with Beggars through Exile. winking smiley

Stay classy, San Diego!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:55

His Majesty
tomk
lapaz62
On the Album version, if you listen closely you can hear the other Leslie solo as well but its deep in the mix.

True. You can hear that with Keith on The Lantern, too.

I think you're maybe mistaking Brians organ part which is mixed really low for the majority of the track, for some low mixed guitar part!?

The first verse. Put your headphones on. :36 to :38 and :46 to :51.
You gotta crank it to hear it, though. It's similar to his other licks in the song.
It's not mixed low, but sounds more like it was to be mixed out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 06:07 by tomk.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: September 8, 2011 05:58

I agree with whoever said Eric Clapton solo.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 8, 2011 06:06

I wonder how many posters with such definite opinions ever heard in live performance the great players they're bashing? Particularly Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 8, 2011 06:39

jamesfdouglas
I've never understood why Rolling Stone puts Kurt Cobain on their Guitar-God lists all the time!

I can see how offing oneself makes for sexy marketing, etc, but what has it to do with guir=tar technique? Nothing to me...

I recall many years ago seeing KC in an RS readers poll of the greatest guitar players and laughed because he was in the top ten. At that time I thought it was because he was still very popular with RS readers. It was because of the age of RS readers: they voted for who they loved, who they knew and listened to, and not for actual guitar players throughout history. It was just a popularity contest. How many of those polled knew of jazz guitarists such as Django? Few I would imagine.

Kurt created some catchy riffs and could put a cool catchy song together - I like Nirvana -- but he was not a great guitar player, and Kurt would have told you the same. John Lennon once said that he was not very good on a TV show called Merv Griffin.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home