Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: OT:Most Overrated Guitarists
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 9, 2011 18:45

Thanks Mickschix...you restored my faith.

I wonder if a lot of these posts are "generational"? Or if the the "posters" never saw these players live.

I tend to pay more attention to the posts of those who grew up in the 60's and early 70's. I'm always interested in opinions of today's 20 to 30 year olds. They either really get it or they don't...at all.

I could be wrong. Feel free to enlighten me.

Since this forum is essentially about The Rolling Stones, I can say that I was a teenager in the Sixties. I first saw the Stones at their first big concert at Royal Albert Hall in September 1966. A life altering moment. I'd previously seen Bob Dylan at the Pasadena Civic in California in 1965. When he sang "You know something's happening but you don't know what it is..." that accurately explained my own emotions at that time. BUT when I saw the Stones almost a year later, ten minutes into the show, I knew that the power of this "new music" was going to have a huge worldwide impact.

Although many of the new rock stars and their fans had no idea how long this impact would ultimately last.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 12, 2011 08:36

Since this forum is essentially about The Rolling Stones, I can say that I was a teenager in the Sixties

Yep, and those were the days when a real guitar-player sounded like Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton...coming up were Johnny Winter and Mick Taylor....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 13:12

More Hot Rocks
Amsterdamned
mickschix
Wow, some folks think HENDRIX and Mick Taylor are over-rated?? I disagree there! And Clapton can be a bit dull on certain occasions but he is a GIANT as guitarists go, not over-rated. I think that Joe Satriani is way over-rated simply because he relies on guitar tricks, and he's fast but not my cup of tea!

Satriani relies on guitar "tricks"?

Man the guy has a lot more understanding when it comes to harmonics than Clapton,and a 100000 more "tricks".

And what's wrong with playing fast ?? It seems to be a taboo on this site.

Some people like to walk, others take a Jet.

The version <keefriffhard4life> posted is great. The guy plays with great feeling here.

Another one:

Can't stand him. Went to see him 3 years ago. Walked out after 5 tunes. I never heard such an endless babble of notes in my life.

Why did you go to see him if you can't stand him then?

I am really not a fan of those "fast" guitarists, but among them I think that Satriani is very good. I don't see his playing as a pure exhibition, which I would say about many others. Again, not exactly my cup of tea, but I also went to see him three years ago, a bit uncertain whether I would be able to take in 2 hours of guitar only. But I really enjoyed it, he has a very nice sence of melody and when he playes, you can see how much he enjoys it, which is also nice.

When he came again this year (or was it the last one?) I didn't go, it is enough for me to see him once, but I respect him. Another thing is when he played with Mick - the Stones' songs are relly not a suitable material for him, but that is more a mistake of Mick, that he chose him, as I see it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 13:19 by Happy24.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 12, 2011 16:31

Eric Johnson opened up for him at The University of Buffalo a few years back. My buddy is a big fan of Johnson and asked me to go. I stayed hoping he would be better than the time I saw him open up for Deep Purple. I was wrong. His solos are melodically incorherent. geez how many notes can I play in these 4 measures? All physical and non musical.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 12, 2011 16:49

mickscarey
G harrison too.

Yes, but this has nothing to do with Harrison I guess?

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:01

folke
Ron Wood. What has he done for the Stones guitar wise? Name one interesting solo. I liked him in The Faces though.

Totally agree. Shame as I really like his playing in the Faces. I guess that's the problem when you're hired to be Keith's younger brother - who poses no threat in any way shape or form.

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:16

Where to start.......

1. The Edge - Awful.

2. Mike Bloomfield - cannot believe the acclaim this guy gets. Horrendous, horrible tone. The same licks over and over again. He's held up as a great blues player? Spare me.

3. Eric Clapton - If you ever wanted proof that changing what works is stupid Clapton is the embodiment the minute he started using Fenders. Great player in the Bluesbreakers and Cream. Pretty ordinary since. Duane Allman's impact on the Layla album becomes more signficant with every passing day.

4. George Harrison - the appalling solo on "For You Blue" makes me squirm. Not how slide guitar should be.

5. Ronnie Wood - Good rhythm player in the Faces. Appalling second guitarist in the Stones. Not coincidentally, despite having a 2-guitar band Jagger felt he needed to play onstage after this guy joined. Resulting in a 3-guitar jangling mess. Ancient art of weaving my arse. Crap is a better way of describing it.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 13, 2011 08:03

Swedgen72
Where to start.......

1. The Edge - Awful.

2. Mike Bloomfield - cannot believe the acclaim this guy gets. Horrendous, horrible tone. The same licks over and over again. He's held up as a great blues player? Spare me.

3. Eric Clapton - If you ever wanted proof that changing what works is stupid Clapton is the embodiment the minute he started using Fenders. Great player in the Bluesbreakers and Cream. Pretty ordinary since. Duane Allman's impact on the Layla album becomes more signficant with every passing day.

4. George Harrison - the appalling solo on "For You Blue" makes me squirm. Not how slide guitar should be.

5. Ronnie Wood - Good rhythm player in the Faces. Appalling second guitarist in the Stones. Not coincidentally, despite having a 2-guitar band Jagger felt he needed to play onstage after this guy joined. Resulting in a 3-guitar jangling mess. Ancient art of weaving my arse. Crap is a better way of describing it.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but Lennon plays the slide on For You Blue.
And, I hate to break it to you again, but Harrison was one of the best slide guitarists ever. He had an incredible (and original) tone and sound. Check out any of his solo albums. And in my opinion, Harrison is an incredibly underrated guitarist.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-13 08:07 by tomk.

Date: September 13, 2011 08:21

And in my opinion, Harrison is an incredibly underrated guitarist.

Agreed! and also Lennon, angry powerful guitarplayer...Wood, Bloomfield and Clapton is of course brilliant and guitarists that's not possible to exceed...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 13, 2011 08:24

>>4. George Harrison - the appalling solo on "For You Blue" makes me squirm. Not how slide guitar should be.

>Well, I hate to break it to you, but Lennon plays the slide on For You Blue.

The original poster apparently never saw LET IT BE, which shows Lennon playing that part.

(McCartney's opposition to a DVD release of that film is silly.)

Date: September 13, 2011 08:32

This guy nails And Your Bird Can Sing pretty good.

Date: September 13, 2011 09:14

Brilliant, and it's George and Paul playing dual on Revolver Huh?

2 1 2 0

Date: September 13, 2011 09:50

Come On
Brilliant, and it's George and Paul playing dual on Revolver Huh?

Memories being what they are, it's never been settled amongst the Fabs who played what here. The common consensus is that it's George and Paul, which is what it sounds like to me. It's got a slight Indian flavor so that pushes it into George's corner, and Paul is an ace guitarist. It's George and Paul. Lennon always dismissed the tune, and being the egotist that he was, he surely would have taken credit for the guitar part if he had played it.

Date: September 13, 2011 09:53

Lennon always dismissed the tune, and being the egotist that he was, he surely would have taken credit for the guitar part if he had played it.

But we gotta admit he sings on it, won't we...???

2 1 2 0

Date: September 13, 2011 10:08

Come On
Lennon always dismissed the tune, and being the egotist that he was, he surely would have taken credit for the guitar part if he had played it.

But we gotta admit he sings on it, won't we...???

True. But in the book Many Years From Now, Macca says he helped with the middle eight, and that "John never had his middle eights," which I think is quite revealing.

Date: September 13, 2011 10:40

Macca says he helped with the middle eight, and that "John never had his middle eights," which I think is quite revealing.

Yep, and that's the Lennon-McCartney-thing, all the brilliant songs they made...

McCartney from 1970 >>>> is 'Live and let die' and 'Mull of Kintyre'..what's more?

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home