Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
The Last Great Stones' Tour - Was it 1972-73?
Date: April 29, 2014 22:11

I'm thinking the 1972-73 tour was perhaps the last great one they would do. I say this, not because the later ones were any less in scope, in fact they were often much larger and covered more ground. However I'm thinking that the mystique of the Stones was at its peak around 1972 when there was a deluge of publicity, hype, and craziness by the media. Maybe that's when we, the mass market of earlier fans, were finally coming of age and by 1975 had lost that initial teenage excitement. I saw them in 1975 and the energy seemed muted somehow. There seemed to be less media swirling around them other than that generated by Keith's arrest in Fordyce. Maybe their social relevance was fading too by then. By 1975, their touring philosophy was changing - they had no new album to promote other than a best hits compilation. These factors seemed to be leading to what I'm suggesting - that by the 1975 tour, things were different, and not just because MT had left.

Re: The Last Great Stones' Tour - Was it 1972-73?
Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 29, 2014 22:30

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 29, 2014 22:35

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 29, 2014 22:40

Date: April 29, 2014 22:41

There are various ways of looking at this. Socially, culturally it is impossible for them to have mattered much after 78. I say that tour eclipses '75/76 because they came back and meant something.
81 was a great tour, but it was the first 'good time' touring show.
89 was great because it was the big return.
And '97 was great because they actually packed up and took a brand new album on the road. played almost the whole album night after night; and really meant it.
And '99 was excellent bercause it was so spontaneous. there is one headline in one of the Stonesbooks that reads "Feels good, let's do it again".

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 29, 2014 23:01

Last year

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 29, 2014 23:16

Yes, 1972-1973 was the last great tour. No matter how much I love the 1975 tour, the 1976. Partly the 1978 and 1981 tours. 1972 and 1973 is something else. Something untouchable, crossing musical and cultural boundaries on many levels. Historical. 1975 and 1976 could have been the next step.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 29, 2014 23:38

'89, for its absolute, career encompassing regalness of it.
'99 for its pared down intensity and focus on the music.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 29, 2014 23:50

For me, they were on the very top of their game in 1978-81

Date: April 30, 2014 00:01

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 30, 2014 00:01

Redhotcarpet
Yes, 1972-1973 was the last great tour. No matter how much I love the 1975 tour, the 1976. Partly the 1978 and 1981 tours. 1972 and 1973 is something else. Something untouchable, crossing musical and cultural boundaries on many levels. Historical. 1975 and 1976 could have been the next step.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 30, 2014 00:02

smileys with beer
michaelsavage
Last year

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 30, 2014 00:15

The Next One.

Date: April 30, 2014 00:54

I suppose certain shows in 1972/73 (namely Brussels) were peaks, but I feel that in 1975, they reached a milestone, being onstage for two hours. They seem to have been sloppy then, but got their act (partially) together in '78, probably the last tour before the arena gigs began. More energy in those 1978 shows, too.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: April 30, 2014 01:31

Especially '73 - Jagger could sing/perform to his best, completely confident in Keith who (with taylor) was playing to his easiest flowing best for Jagger.

Gimme Shelter being the ultimate expression - completely transcendent. Just 5 guys and four instruments in total empathy. All down to Keith at source.

With regard to 2014 it was also that song too where the band gelled and did create a pulsating whole at a higher level. The video helped but even so it is a minor miracle that they could still go 'to a higher level'. Some Ramblers also achieved this in 2014.

Reasons to Stay Positive and look forward, (as well as back).

"Keep on movin', keep on movin' "

Date: April 30, 2014 01:38

I watch the videos from the 80's and 90's et et.. and I know why I stopped going to see them. Messy, unfocused, rushed by cocaine, drowned in reverb. 2013 changed everything, they are a better band now than they were 30 years ago. Their present show is soulful and smooth. Like here, it's called a pocket and they've figured how to sit in it, no hurry to get to the next measure, coke is bad for music, I can hear it in much of their older stuff...

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 30, 2014 01:48

2014 in Austrlais

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 30, 2014 01:53

<<I'm thinking that the mystique of the Stones was at its peak around 1972 when there was a deluge of publicity, hype, and craziness by the media.... I saw them in 1975 and the energy seemed muted somehow. There seemed to be less media swirling around them other than that generated by Keith's arrest in Fordyce.>>

So... are you saying you need write-ups in Rolling Stone and other music mags to sustain your interest. Isn't it the music that matters? After all, the music is made by those who play the music, not by those who merely write about the music.

If you were 15 in 1981, then the 1981-82 tour was something to remember, and all other subsequent tours would be compared to that one.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 30, 2014 02:09

If the 72 tour was, maybe, the greatest (the band peaked between 68 and 72) the last "real" Stones tour was the 81/82 tour. 1989 and forwards wasn't bad but something else and they started to have fewer and fewer fresh, good songs to back up the tours. The last two decades they have been, more or less, a revival band with very few recent hits.

Date: April 30, 2014 02:14

DoomandGloom
I watch the videos from the 80's and 90's et et.. and I know why I stopped going to see them. Messy, unfocused, rushed by cocaine, drowned in reverb. 2013 changed everything, they are a better band now than they were 30 years ago. Their present show is soulful and smooth. Like here, it's called a pocket and they've figured how to sit in it, no hurry to get to the next measure, coke is bad for music, I can hear it in much of their older stuff...

Yes, they're very smooth now. No bumps, no grinds. No funk, no chunk. The piano tinkles away without expressing anything other than a fun night at Shakey's Pizza Palace. The bass player teases us, knowing we want to hear those notes, the ones that make it a Stones song, but he just won't do it. You're right, they're in no hurry at all now. The poor rhythm guitarist can barely form chords, and forget about a little fingering. If he can do 80-per-cent of the lead in to Paint It Black it's a good night. It's all very professional now, very polished, very choreographed, no bum notes (at least not on DVDs after they fix them in post). No surprises, no highs, no lows. Exactly how we love to hear the Stones.

Date: April 30, 2014 04:22

DoomandGloom

You are absolutely 100% correct!

Posted by: PaleRider ()
Date: April 30, 2014 04:34

I would have to agree that 1973 was the last great tour with repeat to quality of music. Funny….I remember Toronto 1975. The talk was 'We better go see them now. They'll never be back again…' Despite what has been written since…the general mood was they were just starting to be a retro-nostalgia act. I'm serious. The 'dazed and confused' 70's crowd was moving on. It took Some Girls to bring us all back. That was an incredible comeback album/effort. It was astonishing…the Stones re-discovered by a lot of people who had shelved them….

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 30, 2014 04:42

24FPS
DoomandGloom

Yes, they're very smooth now. No bumps, no grinds. No funk, no chunk. The piano tinkles away without expressing anything other than a fun night at Shakey's Pizza Palace. The bass player teases us, knowing we want to hear those notes, the ones that make it a Stones song, but he just won't do it. You're right, they're in no hurry at all now. The poor rhythm guitarist can barely form chords, and forget about a little fingering.

you also didn't mention about the drummer...he seems so shattered, trying to keep on time.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: April 30, 2014 05:13

Probably 81', I'd like to think 94'

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 30, 2014 05:33

24FPS
The piano tinkles away without expressing anything other than a fun night at Shakey's Pizza Palace.

No kidding. The piano playing on the "Brown Sugar" video was so inappropriate for the song that it was positively jarring. Honestly, I don't get it. These are all professional musicians with decades of experience. Why would any of them want to do the song that way?

Date: April 30, 2014 06:27

Commentators regarding Chuck being inappropriate should consider this. In a great musical situation where freedom to express oneself is still the most important element you don't take on a seasoned player and tell him what to play. Listening to Chuck on BS here, it sounds like him. I watched him play dozens of times in the 70's that's what he sounds like, he didn't suck then and doesn't suck now. How anyone can say a couple of boogie woogie parts ruin a performance is beyond me, this is not Nicky, Stu or Billy it's Chuck, just as famous, just as many hits but his interpretation. With a guy like this who doesn't play bum notes perhaps a listen for what you do like instead of what you don't is in order. I was clearly shocked when I joined here at the Chuck slamming but posters then kept it light and it was more a running joke than this. For those who want "studio types" playing records on stage there's some great stuff... The Who, Macca et et... The Stones will never be that, they are cavalier.
When I watch Glastonbury I am reminded in a great band the sum is always greater than the individuals, something I forgot when I slammed Ronnie. To defend the guitarists, I've been seeing these guys my entire adult life and they made as many "mistakes" in 78 as they do now. With all Brit guitar heroes it's about what they mean to play not what they execute, puts us on stage cheering for them to hit the note.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-30 06:36 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 30, 2014 07:16

Musical peak 1972-73, but lots of great tours since then. We just don't all agree on which ones were greatest. smoking smiley

Date: April 30, 2014 07:37

treaclefingers
24FPS
DoomandGloom

Yes, they're very smooth now. No bumps, no grinds. No funk, no chunk. The piano tinkles away without expressing anything other than a fun night at Shakey's Pizza Palace. The bass player teases us, knowing we want to hear those notes, the ones that make it a Stones song, but he just won't do it. You're right, they're in no hurry at all now. The poor rhythm guitarist can barely form chords, and forget about a little fingering.

you also didn't mention about the drummer...he seems so shattered, trying to keep on time.

Charlie has adapted. There's no longer dynamite in those sticks, but he has worked around it. Charlie's slowing down doesn't stick out as much as Keith's.

Date: April 30, 2014 07:41

DoomandGloom
Commentators regarding Chuck being inappropriate should consider this. In a great musical situation where freedom to express oneself is still the most important element you don't take on a seasoned player and tell him what to play. Listening to Chuck on BS here, it sounds like him. I watched him play dozens of times in the 70's that's what he sounds like, he didn't suck then and doesn't suck now. How anyone can say a couple of boogie woogie parts ruin a performance is beyond me, this is not Nicky, Stu or Billy it's Chuck, just as famous, just as many hits but his interpretation. With a guy like this who doesn't play bum notes perhaps a listen for what you do like instead of what you don't is in order. I was clearly shocked when I joined here at the Chuck slamming but posters then kept it light and it was more a running joke than this. For those who want "studio types" playing records on stage there's some great stuff... The Who, Macca et et... The Stones will never be that, they are cavalier.
When I watch Glastonbury I am reminded in a great band the sum is always greater than the individuals, something I forgot when I slammed Ronnie. To defend the guitarists, I've been seeing these guys my entire adult life and they made as many "mistakes" in 78 as they do now. With all Brit guitar heroes it's about what they mean to play not what they execute, puts us on stage cheering for them to hit the note.

No one said Chuck sucks, he's just inappropriate on some songs. Midnight Rambler is not a tinkly, wild west good time show. It's a serious, dark song and it deserves to be played that way by all the musicians involved. I just listen to him on the Allman Brothers 'Brothers & Sisters' album and he was great. So where is that emotion now? Yeah, he fills the hole where a piano is supposed to be, but come on, you don't get much feeling from it.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 30, 2014 11:10

2014. The band is still excellent on stage.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home