Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: The Last Great Stones' Tour - Was it 1972-73?
Date: May 3, 2014 19:48

laertisflash
2014. The band is still excellent on stage.

On Fire In A Blaze Of Glory!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: May 3, 2014 20:00

NO!!!

It is the current tour "14 On Fire"

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 3, 2014 20:07

The Last Great Stones' Tour is yet to come this summer!

Date: May 3, 2014 20:17

The Last Great Stones' Tour is yet to come this summer!

I am guessing the last great Stones tour will come in 2022 for the 60th anniversary tour! winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 4, 2014 00:56

ThickerThanThieves
Ruby Friday
The last great Stones' Tour, is always the last one !

Absolutely! They don't do bad tours, concerts, or bad albums. And only a handful of bad songs over 52 years!

Well, I think most of us would agree that Dirty Work was in fact a bad album, maybe a couple of good songs, but even the good songs aren't that good.

I've never loved Bridges to Babylon, but the high water marks are high, Saint Of Me, Thief, Out of Control, even ABSMB. Nothing save One Hit To the Body is passable on Dirty Work. You can try and make and argument for Harlem Shuffle, and maybe Sleep Tonight, but they would be weak arguments.

Date: May 4, 2014 00:59

Lost your reggae-feel, Treacle?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 4, 2014 02:00

ThickerThanThieves
MarkSchneider
Serious people are aware that live performances were musically and emotionally
on top in the early seventies.

The performances in the early seventies were drug fueled and reckless. You see the same type of recklessness on our highways today.

I wish I saw magnificent, powerful concerts on our highways today.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 4, 2014 06:21

treaclefingers
ThickerThanThieves
Ruby Friday

Absolutely! They don't do bad tours, concerts, or bad albums. And only a handful of bad songs over 52 years!

Well, I think most of us would agree that Dirty Work was in fact a bad album, maybe a couple of good songs, but even the good songs aren't that good.

I've never loved Bridges to Babylon, but the high water marks are high, Saint Of Me, Thief, Out of Control, even ABSMB. Nothing save One Hit To the Body is passable on Dirty Work. You can try and make and argument for Harlem Shuffle, and maybe Sleep Tonight, but they would be weak arguments.

the outro tribute to Stu is the best thing about the album.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 4, 2014 07:16

1969 was their best raw sound

1975 was their best shows

1981 was their best sound as a band

1989 was their best setlist

1997 was their best mature period sound with a very good setlist.

The rest is rubbish.

Date: May 4, 2014 08:15

treaclefingers
ThickerThanThieves
Ruby Friday

Outside of Back To Zero Dirty Work is a fantastic album. I love the angst of Dirty Work. Exile was bashed in the very beginning now it is lauded by many as their best. Fans, as well as the band itself, have proven to be influenced by the opinions of the so called critics. Sometimes it takes years before an album can be fully understood or appreciated. This will be the case with Dirty Work. Satanic is a Stones masterpiece that will eventually be recognized as such. I find it amazing how the masses can be so easily swayed to believe just about anything that is thrust down their throats. This has happened throughout history often with dire consequences.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 4, 2014 09:13

If you ever doubt that the Rolling Stones of 1972/73 were the greatest rock band of all times then jut listen to the last 10 minutes of their legendary Brussels concert in autumn of 1973 /(when Goat's Head Soup was #1 with a bullet worldwide, and they were being accused of going 'soft')...this is their absolute apex...no band - not even the Pistols in 1977 - ever rocked harder, faster and more recklessly...Bill and Charlie create a fukcing malevolent freight train of rhythm pulverizing your innards...Keef literally crushes everything in his path and Taylor lashes out solos like the Silver Surfer descending from the ether and zapping you with 50,000 volts of electricity...Jagger sings like a man fighting for his life in a maelstrom of barbed wire...

The Stones in 1972-1973? The. Best. Band. Ever.

Date: May 4, 2014 10:21

What did Bill and Charlie do in 1978, then, kill?

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 4, 2014 10:57

The Sicilian
1969 was their best raw sound

1975 was their best shows

1981 was their best sound as a band

1989 was their best setlist

1997 was their best mature period sound with a very good setlist.

The rest is rubbish.

Value the opinion but the last comment is 'rubbish'.

Turd On The Run
If you ever doubt that the Rolling Stones of 1972/73 were the greatest rock band of all times then jut listen to the last 10 minutes of their legendary Brussels concert in autumn of 1973 /(when Goat's Head Soup was #1 with a bullet worldwide, and they were being accused of going 'soft')...this is their absolute apex...no band - not even the Pistols in 1977 - ever rocked harder, faster and more recklessly...Bill and Charlie create a fukcing malevolent freight train of rhythm pulverizing your innards...Keef literally crushes everything in his path and Taylor lashes out solos like the Silver Surfer descending from the ether and zapping you with 50,000 volts of electricity...Jagger sings like a man fighting for his life in a maelstrom of barbed wire...

This man is telling the truth. 1972/73 Stones are rock'n'roll dynamite.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 4, 2014 12:42

"1975 was their best shows"

What damaegd the 75 shows was the idea that sicne they ahd lost MT they had to compensate by playing super-long shows. Imo that was not a godd idea and the quality of the gigs suffered from the extended setlists. Between 72 & 75 they doubled the time spent on a stage,that's insane.

They should have known that loong, sometimes tedious, shows was in 1975 a Led Zep trademark! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2014 15:52

dcba

They should have known that loong, sometimes tedious, shows was in 1975 a Led Zep trademark! >grinning smiley<

They did know, and especially Charlie has been mad at Zep ever since, since those guys set that routine the rest of them needed to follow... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 4, 2014 16:38

ThickerThanThieves
treaclefingers
ThickerThanThieves
Ruby Friday

Outside of Back To Zero Dirty Work is a fantastic album. I love the angst of Dirty Work. Exile was bashed in the very beginning now it is lauded by many as their best. Fans, as well as the band itself, have proven to be influenced by the opinions of the so called critics. Sometimes it takes years before an album can be fully understood or appreciated. This will be the case with Dirty Work. Satanic is a Stones masterpiece that will eventually be recognized as such. I find it amazing how the masses can be so easily swayed to believe just about anything that is thrust down their throats. This has happened throughout history often with dire consequences.

You may be on to something here. After 30 years we seem to hate the album. I guess in another 30 could potentially move up to a more neutral, 'severe distaste' for it.

Perhaps in another 100 years we'll continue the evolution to a straight up 'mildly loathe'?

Date: May 4, 2014 16:40

DandelionPowderman
Lost your reggae-feel, Treacle?

not for Jimmy Cliff, Toots and the Maytalls or Bob Marley!

Date: May 4, 2014 20:05

treaclefingers
ThickerThanThieves
treaclefingers
ThickerThanThieves
Ruby Friday

You may be on to something here. After 30 years we seem to hate the album. I guess in another 30 could potentially move up to a more neutral, 'severe distaste' for it.

Perhaps in another 100 years we'll continue the evolution to a straight up 'mildly loathe'?

You simply have bought into the "big lie" about Dirty Work. Cleanse your brain of all prior thoughts and go back and give it another listen, minus Zero of course. It's as good as any Stones album from top to bottom. In fact, there is no such thing as a bad Stones album. They have never produced one. They are all damn good to great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-04 20:07 by ThickerThanThieves.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 4, 2014 20:09

dcba

What damaegd the 75 shows was the idea that sicne they ahd lost MT they had to compensate by playing super-long shows. Imo that was not a godd idea and the quality of the gigs suffered from the extended setlists. Between 72 & 75 they doubled the time spent on a stage,that's insane.

Youve got a poiont here. Hm. Maybe thats the thing. YCAGWYW sucks after Tayor left but had they really changed the song into something else, given up the idea of ronnie trying to play solos and just - change and update it into, I dunno, a Preston influenced number. Or let Ollie go nuts with the percussion. The ronnie could have funked it up or something. Too long setlists? Some numbers were too long.

Posted by: connection91 ()
Date: May 4, 2014 20:14

Some people on this board tell that they never played as well as the current tour. To stay in the same way I should say, the next one will be their best tour, and the next after will be better that the current one... I love all the 70's tours. 81-82 they played good but setlist was always the same and some songs were too similar.

Date: May 4, 2014 20:19

I watched Ladies and Gentlemen, Some Girls, Bridges, MSG 2003, Austin 2006, and Hyde Park 2013 yesterday and can honestly say Hyde Park was as good or better than any of the others. I never liked the drug fueled speeded up performances from the seventies. I always thought their live performances peak was from Bridges through Forty Licks, however, after viewing Hyde Park I have to rate that right up there with the performances from 1997 through 2003.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-04 20:22 by ThickerThanThieves.

Date: May 4, 2014 20:30

Turd On The Run

There should be an asterisk next to those performances! They were done with performance enhancing drugs! Fast, loose, and reckless doesn't add up to a better performance. I will take the 1997 through 2014 Stones any old day of the week.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 4, 2014 20:51

ThickerThanThieves
I watched Ladies and Gentlemen, Some Girls, Bridges, MSG 2003, Austin 2006, and Hyde Park 2013 yesterday and can honestly say Hyde Park was as good or better than any of the others. I never liked the drug fueled speeded up performances from the seventies. I always thought their live performances peak was from Bridges through Forty Licks, however, after viewing Hyde Park I have to rate that right up there with the performances from 1997 through 2003.

You must be a very young person.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2014 21:54

ThickerThanThieves

I'm with you that the new Hyde Park film holds very well in compared to other recent releases, say, from 1997 on or so. But it is also produced damn very well, and almost miracle-like things happened between the shows and its release. The band on the film sounds much more energetic and good than the one I wittnessed in that park.

- Doxa

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 4, 2014 22:25

treaclefingers
ThickerThanThieves
Ruby Friday

Well Dirty Work was certainly bad for The Stones but I'm not sure it was that bad compared to the other music coming out in the mid eightees.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: May 4, 2014 23:46

Deluxtone
Especially '73 - Jagger could sing/perform to his best, completely confident in Keith who (with taylor) was playing to his easiest flowing best for Jagger.

Gimme Shelter being the ultimate expression - completely transcendent. Just 5 guys and four instruments in total empathy. All down to Keith at source.

Always forgetting Nicky Hopkins... why most of you just can't listen the WHOLE thing? 1972-3 was great and there was Nicky Hopkins and Bobby Keys and Jim Price. the WHOLE band. The core of Exile on main Street.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 5, 2014 03:37

ThickerThanThieves
Turd On The Run

There should be an asterisk next to those performances! They were done with performance enhancing drugs! Fast, loose, and reckless doesn't add up to a better performance. I will take the 1997 through 2014 Stones any old day of the week.

Let me take your points individually:
1. "There should be an asterisk next to those performances! They were done with performance enhancing drugs!" Then put an "asterisk" next to 99% of EVERY rock and roll show played in the last 50 years...and EVERY supposedly "Live" album, including all the greats, from Ya Ya's to Live at Leeds to Live Dead to Filmore East to Live at Budokan to infinity...the Stones had no advantages...perhaps a better quality of drugs...so your point is meaningless.
2. "Fast, loose, and reckless doesn't add up to a better performance." In Rock and Roll it usually does...
3. "I will take the 1997 through 2014 Stones any old day of the week." Hahahahahahahaha...hahaha...hahahaha! Sure you would. I have seen every Stones tour since the 1972 STP and anybody who has seen the Stones in their 60's/70's heyday (as have many knowledgeable fans on this board) can just laugh at the sheer absurdity of your statement. You are either very young, very stupid, very puritanical, or very priggish...and I say that with all due respect. To declaim that you would rather see a group of 60- and 70-year old men play songs that they wrote in their 20's (and that is what constituted 90% of the set lists of the shows you "prefer" the last 17 years) instead of having seen them when those very songs had immense cultural capital (as opposed to nostalgia value) and were changing the world and the men who wrote them were at their absolute peak of their powers is the height of artistic illiteracy.

I will see them again in Europe this summer...and they will play with 30% of the skill, 20% of the verve, and 10% of the passion they had in the 1970's...for 10000% more money...it is very expensive nostalgia...and I am happy and fortunate to be able to revisit and participate...but don't compare these Stones with the transcendent Pirates that changed the culture 40-50 years ago...that is self-delusion and idiocy.

Date: May 5, 2014 04:18

Turd On The Run
ThickerThanThieves
Turd On The Run

Let me take your points individually:
1. "There should be an asterisk next to those performances! They were done with performance enhancing drugs!" Then put an "asterisk" next to 99% of EVERY rock and roll show played in the last 50 years...and EVERY supposedly "Live" album, including all the greats, from Ya Ya's to Live at Leeds to Live Dead to Filmore East to Live at Budokan to infinity...the Stones had no advantages...perhaps a better quality of drugs...so your point is meaningless.
2. "Fast, loose, and reckless doesn't add up to a better performance." In Rock and Roll it usually does...
3. "I will take the 1997 through 2014 Stones any old day of the week." Hahahahahahahaha...hahaha...hahahaha! Sure you would. I have seen every Stones tour since the 1972 STP and anybody who has seen the Stones in their 60's/70's heyday (as have many knowledgeable fans on this board) can just laugh at the sheer absurdity of your statement. You are either very young, very stupid, very puritanical, or very priggish...and I say that with all due respect. To declaim that you would rather see a group of 60- and 70-year old men play songs that they wrote in their 20's (and that is what constituted 90% of the set lists of the shows you "prefer" the last 17 years) instead of having seen them when those very songs had immense cultural capital (as opposed to nostalgia value) and were changing the world and the men who wrote them were at their absolute peak of their powers is the height of artistic illiteracy.

I will see them again in Europe this summer...and they will play with 30% of the skill, 20% of the verve, and 10% of the passion they had in the 1970's...for 10000% more money...it is very expensive nostalgia...and I am happy and fortunate to be able to revisit and participate...but don't compare these Stones with the transcendent Pirates that changed the culture 40-50 years ago...that is self-delusion and idiocy.

I couldn't have been more snarky saying that myself. thumbs up

Date: May 5, 2014 04:23

ThickerThanThieves
treaclefingers
ThickerThanThieves
treaclefingers
ThickerThanThieves
Ruby Friday

You simply have bought into the "big lie" about Dirty Work. Cleanse your brain of all prior thoughts and go back and give it another listen, minus Zero of course. It's as good as any Stones album from top to bottom. In fact, there is no such thing as a bad Stones album. They have never produced one. They are all damn good to great.

Why would you have to cleanse your thoughts? I thought Undercover the album sucked then. I've heard it about once a decade since and every time it has sucked. It has continually gone down in my estimation and right now is sitting at the bottom, just below Dirty Work. Parts of Satanic Majesties are an unlistenable mess. Between The Buttons is about a half good/half burn out. And you would have to push the three post-Wyman albums together to come up with one decent album. Ears don't lie.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 5, 2014 08:04

50 & Counting...

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home