Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any Sixto Rodriguez fans ? - Searchin for a Sugarman anyone ?
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 11, 2013 08:23

If you havent seen it - do yourself a favour.
It's one of the greatest music documentaries ever.

Re: Any Sixto Rodriguez fans ? - Searchin for a Sugarman anyone ?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 11, 2013 08:33

I'm a fan of the fantastic story....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 11, 2013 09:34

Someone recommended this to me only the other day. Will check it out.

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: January 11, 2013 10:04

Great, a must see. Where is this music been all these years???

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 11, 2013 14:03

seitan

Agreed. Fantastic music & story.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 11, 2013 14:56

Thanks for your post. Will check out the dvd and vinyl

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 18, 2013 12:55

I actually have his two albums on vinyl as he was somewhat popular in Australia in the 70s. Can't understand why he didn't make it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 18, 2013 13:07

Sounds great, never heard of the guy though........

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 18, 2013 13:28

Like others here,l had never heard of Sixto,till a couple of months ago my daughter turned me on to his music,the guy its amazing,been listening to all his stuff continuously,love it,here is one l can't get out of my head..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:00

Brilliant stuff!!! A must see. Will see Rodriguez this summer at a festival.
The documentary deservedly won Oscar this year. We had a few threads about it here at the time smiling smiley

Posted by: Bassid6 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:09

I had never heard of him until a client from the Midlands of England came in to see me last Tuesday. We were talking about music -- The Who -- the first band I had ever seen, and the second smiling smiley. Then I told him I had seen Bob Dylan 22 times, once with Santana back in august of 93 and Elvis Costello in 2007. The Stones never came up and I wasn't about to mention them. I have never seen them in concert and don't plan on it.

He asked me if I had ever heard of Rodriguez. No, don't know who the hell he was. He told me he was big in South Africa. "Look up Searching for Sugar Man", he told me. I'd be blown away as his lyrics and music were 10 x better that Dylan's. I did and I can't stop listening to him because the sweetest kiss I ever got, was the one I never tasted.

He lived in Detroit as a laborer, then my client told me he went back out on tour twice, either in South Africa or Australia - I don't remember. The client told me he made a load of money on both tours and gave it to his two daughters to live on for the rest of their lives and went back to being a laborer.

That's just what I was told. I probably should look it up.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:22

He was featured on TV very recently in Japan and his two albums plus the soundtrack are all selling big in Japan at the moment. I don't think the documentary has even been shown there yet.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:32

- I love the music and the documentary. It got me thinkin, does lot of Americans think that they know everything that is great in music or that whatever is the most famous has to be the greatest.

- I'm kinda suprised that people make such a big deal about Sixto being famous outside of USA. Let's face it, Johnny Thunders of The New York Dolls had huge probleam in getting record deals in America, - The Gun Club was a great eighties rock band with a strong international cult following and some of their albums were never even released in USA, etc, etc...

- There's lot of rock musicians that are huge stars in different countries and they never make a penny in USA. - Theres so many great bands outside of mainstream that have a strong global fanbase outside of USA...So, Sixto Rodriguez being a star in South Africa shouldnt be a big suprise. Why not. It's great documentary and great music, but I find peoples reactions to the film bit overrated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-18 17:11 by seitan.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:44

I think the problem is in the name not that there is something wrong with "Rodriguez" but if I saw this record back in the 70's I,m not sure I will check it out...can't remember his records where available Holland or had any airplay....
He also reminds me a bit of Al Stewart - Year of the Cat

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 17:42

Great little film. Like the music very much.... 'I Wonder' is superb.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: March 18, 2013 18:37

Amazing story.
It blows my mind that his music never became better known when
it first came out in the early 70's.
A must see documentary.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 19, 2013 01:51

I have the DVD in my Netflix queue. I saw a story, maybe something on the tellie, about Rodriguez which got me into it. Fascinating. Working in a blue-collar job when halfway around the world you are a musical superstar.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: March 19, 2013 02:48

Great Doco I agree. Being a little pedantic I must say it does gloss over the fact that he was pretty popular in Australia as well as South Africa. "Sugarman" (the song) recieved a lot radio time down here when it first came out. He toured here a couple of times in the late 70's/early 80's, once with Midnight Oil. There is a live album floating around called "Alive" which was only released in Australia. He is touring here at the moment as it happens.

Date: March 19, 2013 11:10

I loved the documentary; and was turned on to his music. Which isn't bad.
But more than anything I liked him, the person. There was something very serene and removed in the way he carries himself. More than anything that is the way I strive to live. In the film when he is interviewed by the makers, and often remains puzzled with "I am sorry, I don't know how to answer that".

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 19, 2013 12:54

seitan

Fair enough, but kindly be so considerate to mark the thread title / subject OT. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2147
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home