Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Hand Of Fate
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 26, 2017 21:38

Hand of fate?
Nothing special.

Seldom pkayed live, and there´s a reason for that...

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 26, 2017 22:09

Bjorn
Hand of fate?
Nothing special.

Seldom pkayed live, and there´s a reason for that...[/quote

I have always loved it the time I saw it live, Orpheum theater Boston 2002. It brought the house down and everyone there loved it not one person sat for it.
I also think there are some great bootleg live versions of it.

Date: January 26, 2017 22:17

HOF was played live frequently in 1976, 2002 and 2003.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 27, 2017 01:01

DandelionPowderman

IMO, the rootsy songs stand out as the best ones on BAB. The rockers are nice, but nowhere near among their best.

Hey Negrita is my definite favourite. A fantastic funky groove. Charlie at the top of his game. Lovely guitars. Fantastic singing.

I overlooked Hey Negrita, and while wouldn't add it to the rubbish bin, I wouldn't consider it a tune that truly matters either - it's sort of an experiment that leads to nowhere.

edit: As for Crazy Mama, wondering if it's ever been played live? While it might be a typical bluesy rocker, it has a Stonesy charm that would could be elevated in a live setting - especially with an extended jam at the end.
I did see Hand of Fate a couple of times during Licks, and while it wasn't as good as the studio version, it was a pleasant surprise and gotta give them effort for trying something different.
Both tunes easily fit into a Stones live show, and should be included in the setlists more often. Replace IORR with Crazy Mama once in awhile...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-27 02:46 by Hairball.

Date: January 27, 2017 08:49

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

IMO, the rootsy songs stand out as the best ones on BAB. The rockers are nice, but nowhere near among their best.

Hey Negrita is my definite favourite. A fantastic funky groove. Charlie at the top of his game. Lovely guitars. Fantastic singing.

I overlooked Hey Negrita, and while wouldn't add it to the rubbish bin, I wouldn't consider it a tune that truly matters either - it's sort of an experiment that leads to nowhere.

edit: As for Crazy Mama, wondering if it's ever been played live? While it might be a typical bluesy rocker, it has a Stonesy charm that would could be elevated in a live setting - especially with an extended jam at the end.
I did see Hand of Fate a couple of times during Licks, and while it wasn't as good as the studio version, it was a pleasant surprise and gotta give them effort for trying something different.
Both tunes easily fit into a Stones live show, and should be included in the setlists more often. Replace IORR with Crazy Mama once in awhile...

CM was played at El Mocambo and in 1997. The latter version was a sad sight, imo, judging by the YouTube video..

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-27 10:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 27, 2017 12:16

Didn't they also play CM at one of those recent private shows? Thought I'd read that. Back to the topic, love HOF. It was great to get a live version on Four Flicks; never heard one in person though.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: January 27, 2017 12:28

HonkeyTonkFlash
Didn't they also play CM at one of those recent private shows? Thought I'd read that. Back to the topic, love HOF. It was great to get a live version on Four Flicks; never heard one in person though.

At The Belly Up? It rings a bell...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 27, 2017 13:14

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

CM was played at El Mocambo and in 1997. The latter version was a sad sight, imo, judging by the YouTube video..

If my memory serves we got CM on the B stage on a frigid October night in Foxboro probably in 1997. Not sure how the masses felt but I was happy to see it play live. BTW bring back the B stage this summer and play some B&L songs.

Date: January 27, 2017 14:03

<Bring back the B stage this summer and play some B&L songs>

thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 27, 2017 14:46

DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

thumbs up

Can't see it happening because they seem to have fallen out with the concept... [Logistics and sound I think]

but it would be nice.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 27, 2017 14:51

[www.youtube.com][/quote]

I agree with you but Ronnie does a great job on the solo.Often when Mick sings and plays the rythm guitar usually Keith plays fills or lowers down his guitar. Mick can't do both things very well at the same time; therefore the rythm guitar that normally drives and structures the stones' rockers when played live isn't there; the musical glue is somewhat missing. I love BAB and HOF is really a great song imo.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: January 27, 2017 14:51

Spud
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

thumbs up

Can't see it happening because they seem to have fallen out with the concept... [Logistics and sound I think]

but it would be nice.

The could do a blues set in there anyway smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 27, 2017 14:59

DandelionPowderman
Spud
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

thumbs up

but it would be nice.

The could do a blues set in there anyway smiling smiley

Quite so.

But maybe part of the issue is that Mick has occasionally voiced concerns about how the B Stage ,set within a set kind of concept, somehow affects the flow of the show as a whole.

Just a Bee he has in his bonnett maybe.

Date: January 27, 2017 15:19

Bjorn
Hand of fate?
Nothing special.

Seldom pkayed live, and there´s a reason for that...

Probably because Perkins doesn't play with the band live in concert.

Or,it could be because .000000001 % of the world's population are aware the Stones' album 'Black and Blue' exists.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 27, 2017 16:45

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

The 1997 version has a drummer that doesn't play the way it was recorded, which is a part of the problem. There's that pretty tinkly plinky plink piano in it. Mick... eh, come on. Horrible vocal delivery.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 27, 2017 17:08

I saw the Stones play Crazy Mama in 1997 in Foxboro...my memory of it was that it was rather underwhelming because they were on the B-stage and the sound was muddy.

But now watching this YouTube version...yikes. The guitars are decent but Mick isn't ripping into the vocals enough, and Charlie is definitely playing wrong. Comes off totally half-assed.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 27, 2017 17:35

"Hand of fate?
Nothing special"

You kiddin' pal? Something called W O M E N create the need for all the beautiful Hand Of Fates we've been blessed with....

It's got EVERYTHING you need in a tune!!!

Regarding the rather weak version of Crazy Mama post -77 it's really strange they haven't done it justice when you got a blistering Hand of Fate during 2002-03 and tunes similar like If Ya Can't Rock Me done amazingly during the same period of time. Maybe it's because Mick's taking care of the riff?? I Go Wild and Crazy Mama with just 2 guitars for the summer! Or wait... skip Crazy Mama and play Hand Of Fate again!! Or all 3....

smileys with beer

Date: January 27, 2017 17:58

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

The 1997 version has a drummer that doesn't play the way it was recorded, which is a part of the problem. There's that pretty tinkly plinky plink piano in it. Mick... eh, come on. Horrible vocal delivery.

Not great, but not too shabby either...It's sloppy good rock and roll, the likes of which inspired the Black Crowes, Georgia Satellites, et al.
Mick's vocals sound half baked, probably because (as someone else mentioned) he's focused on playing guitar which is pretty much useless - he really should focus solely on what he does best.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 27, 2017 18:06

Hairball
Not great, but not too shabby either...It's sloppy good rock and roll, the likes of which inspired the Black Crowes, Georgia Satellites, et al.
Mick's vocals sound half baked, probably because (as someone else mentioned) he's focused on playing guitar which is pretty much useless - he really should focus solely on what he does best.
This was the usual Toronto warm-up show, right? I'm sure Mick didn't want to tax his voice too much before the proper tour start.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 27, 2017 18:41

[www.youtube.com]

Years later, with technology to help, they fumble through it, sometimes a bit lost.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 27, 2017 18:56

Years later, with technology to help, they fumble through it, sometimes a bit lost.

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah but you should've been at The Cirkus in Stockholm one month later, the BEST version since '76 and a killer!!!!! No stumblin' like in Paris, just proper IN YER FACE-Rock n Roll.

Date: January 27, 2017 19:14

MadMax

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah but you should've been at The Cirkus in Stockholm one month later, the BEST version since '76 and a killer!!!!! No stumblin' like in Paris, just proper IN YER FACE-Rock n Roll.

I was there MadMax, and also at Vredenburg a few weeks later.
The one main fault with either of those versions was Ronnie's attempts at playing the lead solos - otherwise it was quite a thrill to see live in those settings!

Date: January 27, 2017 19:20

I was at Cirkus too (BEST spot in the house) but sadly not in Vredenburg. God that summer was pure magic! Happy days! Yeah but Ronnie is Ronnie, I'd rather have him than Mr. Perkins any day of the week. I thought he did a great job did Ronnie!

Date: January 27, 2017 19:48

MadMax
I was at Cirkus too (BEST spot in the house) but sadly not in Vredenburg. God that summer was pure magic! Happy days! Yeah but Ronnie is Ronnie, I'd rather have him than Mr. Perkins any day of the week. I thought he did a great job did Ronnie!

BEST spot in the house? smiling smiley
We might have been rubbing shoulders then, as I was granted early entry and made a beeline for front center - stayed put the entire show!
Yes, that summer was pure magic! I landed in Stockholm July 16th, woke up to celebrate my 40th B-day on the 17th, then saw the Stones at the stadium on the 18th, then the Globen arena on the 20th (fought for Keith's guitar pick and won!), and then the ultimate at the Cirkus on the 22nd! I then raveled around for the six weeks or so, catching a few extra Stones shows along the way ( the Netherlands and England), finally ending the long journey at the SECC Arena shows in Glasgow, Scotland at the beginning of September. One of the the best summers of my life!

*ps - I still have several Stockholm Licks posters that I pilfered and plucked off of walls and poles all around the city!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 27, 2017 23:48

GasLightStreet
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

My god. Thank you for this- just watched both for the first time/ I've never seen or heard 'Hand of Fate' live.
I watched 2003 first, and marvel like I always do at Licks/ Mick and Keith so fine, like in their prime.
The 1976 Ron Wood just nails it beautifully- it sounds like the record.
The bands different eras - magnificent.
Thanks again.
edited for spelling

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-27 23:49 by 35love.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 28, 2017 00:16

Wasn't it the "Double Door" club show in Chicago prior to the opening night of
the Bridges tour?

Posted by: king ()
Date: January 28, 2017 00:20

Fantastic version played at the Aragon in 2002.
Did anybody else see this?

Date: January 28, 2017 03:48

Hand of faith, If you can rock me, dance little sister etc.. are typical rolling stones rockers from the mid 70's; same family, cousins if you want. To me those songs are quintessential stones songs. Yes the family is big and made of other members. I love the sound those songs are made of; put a rolling stones' seal on it,son.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 28, 2017 04:55

agreed. Awesome.

Date: January 28, 2017 15:25

I like the unusual intro of HOF; it'isn't a typical beginning like brown sugar or sastifaction when the riff starts on the first beat of the sequence. Here it has a feel that the riff has already been in motion or "in media res". Really cool little trick that gives energy and pushes the song forward from the start.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home