Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Hand Of Fate
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 25, 2017 16:07

LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
always one of my favorites - i think i love the multiple guitar solos the most ... not overdone and they fit perfectly with the track! But of course, Micks vox are killer!

This could be the most perfect vocal he ever did in the studio IMHO.

What do you call that vocal delivery...a 'smooth growl' maybe?

Could be ... for most perfect (he has so many) I would probably go w/ Gimme Shelter, but Hand of Fate is 'killer'!

One of the Great SwaggerStones songs, for me, anyway.
Jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2017 18:03

As far as the guitaring songs go on BLACK AND BLUE, I'd rank Hand Of Fate at 3rd behind Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama. But those aren't sleazy.

As far as the sleaze factor goes it may be their #1 sleazy song.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 25, 2017 18:11

Black and Blue is a weird album for me. There are four songs that I usually always skip, and four that I LOVE.

Hand of Fate
Memory Motel
Hey Negrita
Crazy Mama

Those four make the album for me. The other four...aside from Cherry Oh Baby, I don't think they're BAD songs, but I usually have no reason to listen to them.

Date: January 25, 2017 18:59

Cherry Oh Baby is horrible. It's amazing that they considered that good yet alone good enough to include on the album when they had a plethora of originals to use.

Hot Stuff on SUCKING IN THE 70S is "better" because it's the Hand Of Fate B-side edit.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 25, 2017 19:51

GasLightStreet
Cherry Oh Baby is horrible. It's amazing that they considered that good yet alone good enough to include on the album when they had a plethora of originals to use.

Hot Stuff on SUCKING IN THE 70S is "better" because it's the Hand Of Fate B-side edit.
That's a perfect example of making an album better through deletion. Remove Cherry Oh Baby, and the album rates way higher in my eyes, even though I'm not crazy about Fool To Cry or Melody.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 26, 2017 04:23

GasLightStreet
Cherry Oh Baby is horrible...

Wrong, it's a perfect compliment to the album! Pure awesomeness reggae rhythm!

Date: January 26, 2017 04:25

LeonidP
GasLightStreet

YOU are wrong. They aped the original but Mick took a dump on it. Ruined a perfectly faithful music covering. Keith especially. But Mick, a ruint it.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 26, 2017 05:24

I really like this one. I LOVE the music tracks.
Yep this one has it.
it almost totally works for me.
Almost a sin to say the best thing about a really good Stones track is Wayne Perkins, but he earned it.
Mick a little over-blown, come a bit too close to self-caricature; like he's playing the rock star not being the rock star.
I think he was a little hoarse that day too. This is one good lead vocal shy of five star banger imo. I like it so much I wish they'd do it live; it's a killer groove.
I think Mick both makes this dynamic and yet somehow keeps it from being first tier great.
It's certainly fine lyrically; nice and tight, an engaging narrative however hackneyed and well worn the subject matter; he pulls it off; i like it a lot.
I think the music and recording is really great. only points South imo would be Mick a little too much doing his forcing thing...
...for example, see how GREAT he is on country honk from ole when he calms the eff down a little?!!
...and even on B&L is most shines when he's mostly not pushing it...
imho

"... The wind blew hard, it was stormy night
He shot me once, but I shot him twice ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 26, 2017 05:26

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

YOU are wrong. They aped the original but Mick took a dump on it. Ruined a perfectly faithful music covering. Keith especially. But Mick, a ruint it.

[www.youtube.com]

Cherry Oh Baby is a useless cover tune by the Stones - could be a candidate for one of their worst.
The Stones added nothing really, but took away all the heart and soul of Eric Donaldson's far superior original in large part due to the bad vocals..
While the original smoothly cruises along, the Stones version stumbles and falters embarrassingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-26 05:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 26, 2017 05:40

you could substitute any title from B & L and your criticism of Cherry Oh Baby would be the same....

back to Hand Of Fate....absolute dynamite..hooks you in right from the start...you know your in for a treat..Perkins sure hit the mark....and Jagger's vocal is awesome...one of their top tracks for me.

Date: January 26, 2017 05:49

Rip This
you could substitute any title from B & L and your criticism of Cherry Oh Baby would be the same....

That's beyond absurd - Jagger didn't take a dump on anything on B&L.

Date: January 26, 2017 06:02

GasLightStreet
Rip This

That's beyond absurd - Jagger didn't take a dump on anything on B&L.

For the most part agreed, although there are a couple of weak vocal spots on B&L imo.
His vocals are a bit rambunctious and overzealous on All Of Your Love and especially I Can't Quit You Baby, but nothing excruciating.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2017 07:32

Lurv Hand Of Fate ... always dig the way it cranks in after that
funckin' Hot Stuff ... Hand Of Fate...always think of it as an electric cowboy song ...

then the slide back into that dis-jointed Cherry Oh... like Keeef's fallin' over backwards .... ... Lurv it tooooooo XFX

ROCKMAN

Date: January 26, 2017 07:41

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

You just post links without listening? How is the original ruined? It's played w/ the same rhythm/beat but with a funkiness added to it. Not to mention, Jaggers vocals blow away Eric Donaldson's, by a country (reggae, i mean) mile. It's not even close.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2017 07:45

YEAH chuck Cherry Oh on when ya guests are startin' ta
loosen a lil' in the hip area and watch the carpet start ta smolder ......

ROCKMAN

Date: January 26, 2017 10:18

Rockman
Lurv Hand Of Fate ... always dig the way it cranks in after that
funckin' Hot Stuff ... Hand Of Fate...always think of it as an electric cowboy song ...

then the slide back into that dis-jointed Cherry Oh... like Keeef's fallin' over backwards .... ... Lurv it tooooooo XFX

thumbs up

Date: January 26, 2017 10:21

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

You just post links without listening? How is the original ruined? It's played w/ the same rhythm/beat but with a funkiness added to it. Not to mention, Jaggers vocals blow away Eric Donaldson's, by a country (reggae, i mean) mile. It's not even close.

I have to agree on that. Love Mick's (and Keith's) tongue-in-cheek vocals as well as the whole sound they're getting on COB.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 26, 2017 16:38

Cherry Oh Baby along with Memory Motel and Hand of Fate are my top 3 on
Black and Blue.

Date: January 26, 2017 16:51

MKjan
Black and Blue.

Yeah, that dude is full of 'Gas' ... Cherry Oh Baby is great, and almost agree w/ your top 3, Hey Negrita fits in there somewhere.

I always loved all of B&B, other than Fool To Cry, I could do without. That one I'd agree is a poor Mick vocal.

Date: January 26, 2017 17:00

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

The original - Eric Donaldson's - has great vocals. The Stones' doesn't. Jagger's vocal delivery sucks.

Date: January 26, 2017 17:02

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

The original - Eric Donaldson's - has great vocals. The Stones' doesn't. Jagger's vocal delivery sucks.

Agreed ... if this were "Opposite Day"

** edit ... again, sure you didn't listen, as Mick's vocals blow away Eric's. The original, musically is fine but his vocals actually ruin the original ... pretty lame

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-26 17:03 by LeonidP.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 26, 2017 17:11

LeonidP
MKjan
Black and Blue.

Yeah, that dude is full of 'Gas' ... Cherry Oh Baby is great, and almost agree w/ your top 3, Hey Negrita fits in there somewhere.

I always loved all of B&B, other than Fool To Cry, I could do without. That one I'd agree is a poor Mick vocal.

Same here, Fool To Cry is the only weak track imo.
Hey Negrita is great.....and that video....wow.

Date: January 26, 2017 18:06

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

Agreed ... if this were "Opposite Day"

** edit ... again, sure you didn't listen, as Mick's vocals blow away Eric's. The original, musically is fine but his vocals actually ruin the original ... pretty lame

The original is better. How you can't hear that must be some serious bias.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 26, 2017 18:26

I´ve always liked Cherry Oh Baby a lot (without knowing the original I do not care for). Black & Blue is a wonderful album except for the first half of Fool To Cry which is awful. Second part of it isn´t too bad. Hand Of Fate just blew me away right from the start. What a killer song! Stones at their very best and Mick´s vocals are superb. And I am one of the few who really like "jazzy" Melody a lot. What a relief to get Black & Blue after GHS & IORR! Fantastic album.

Date: January 26, 2017 18:55

HMS
I´ve always liked Cherry Oh Baby a lot (without knowing the original I do not care for).

So without knowing the original, how can you not care for it? That makes your usual sense, which is a lot like alternative facts.

Date: January 26, 2017 19:29

The only two songs that really matter on B&B are Hand of Fate, Hot Stuff, and Crazy Mama in that order of preference
To a lesser degree maybe Memory Motel, and maybe Melody but just barely. The rest is rubbish filler, but if you erase Micks vocals from Cherry Oh Baby it might have been a nice instrumental reggae jam for a B-side.

Date: January 26, 2017 19:39

Cheery oh Baby..you got to listen with a bit of humor, and it s good right in there at Cut 3. Keith sings great on it too.

Date: January 26, 2017 20:29

Palace Revolution 2000
Cheery oh Baby..you got to listen with a bit of humor, and it s good right in there at Cut 3. Keith sings great on it too.

Spot on!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 26, 2017 20:35

I like the album. It's a snapshot of what they were feeling at the time. It's not a statement album or anything, just musicians working through a bunch of jams and trying out guitarists.
I like this more than something like Tattoo You, which has the feeling of being manufactured. With the Stones, spontaneity is a big thing.
A similar album to this is Undercover insofar as the feel of it.
Hand of Fate is just a good rocker by a band that knew what it was doing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Date: January 26, 2017 20:51

IMO, the rootsy songs stand out as the best ones on BAB. The rockers are nice, but nowhere near among their best.

Hey Negrita is my definite favourite. A fantastic funky groove. Charlie at the top of his game. Lovely guitars. Fantastic singing.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home