Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 35
Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2010 15:08

elunsi
Doxa
My perception is that Keith gets way too much credit in %s of the Stones material but the fact is that Keith's ideas in riffs, melodies, chord sequences, and over-all his musical intuitions, are essential to the Stones to be what they are. He is the musical genious behind the Stones music - - Doxa

This is what I don´t believe. Keith is not more responsible for melodies and ideas than Mick. Maybe in the mid-60ies it was like that, when Mick wrote mainly the lyrics, but not from the late 60ies on to this day. I think fact is, that we don´t know who was responsible for an idea or a melody, and I think fact is, that we automatically believe Keith is. Take a song like PMS, there was a backing track, but did keith have the idea for "the song Plundered my soul"? For the melody, the lyrics? That was Mick´s. I have not read Keith´s book, but could it be, that, when he writes about the songwriting, he writes about the 60ies only? Keith was very out of it at times in the 70ies, what did Mick do in these times? I am sure he was writing songs! Maybe I am just suspicious of the word genious. I my eyes Mozart was a genious, but not Keith Richards.

I can see your point. I was not claiming that Keith is alone responsible for melodies and ideas but my point is that he has had the best and most important of them in heir careerwise. Those which made the difference. That is why I use the term "essential" - it is not the quantity but the quality. Jagger surely took much of the responsibilites of composing - and not just finishing Keith's ideas but writing from the scratch - from the late 60's on (songs like "Sympathy For The Devil", "You Can't Always get What You Wan", "Brown Sugar" are works of a great songwriter). But I still insist that Keith has something Mick doesn't has, or never have had. There is something I would call "genious" in Keith's understanding of music and its deep dynamics. Mick is more "technical" or "pragmatic". Keith goes so deep. A man who writes the greatest rock and roll song ever "Gimme Shelter" is nothing but a genious (if that term has any application to rock music - which is discussion I am not interested any further). I have always thought that Mick builds up to the musical foundation that is much created by the instincts and intuitions of Keith. And I also think that for this reason Jagger admires Keith very much and forgives a lot of his stupid behavior.

If one reads my posts in this thread and many others I have been really critical to Keith (especially in LIFE that belittles Mick so much) and "justified" Mick's contributution - Mick is really under-estimated, even by many Stones fans - but there is still something substantive reasons why Keith Richards is such an important and unique figure in Stones music. That cannot be denied. No matter what a spoiled jerk he reveals himself to be in LIFE.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 15:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 30, 2010 15:38

Where does Keith say in the book that he is the "the main responsible for a majority of the songs"?

I think it is quite the opposite. He makes it damn clear from page 1 that Mick's role was always essential for the composing process, as was the band's contribution for the final product.

To understand his point, just listen to the boots. Before the Winos experience, Keith contributed mainly with riffs, ideas, sounds. Now, it is true that those were the ingredients that made most Rolling Stones songs what they are, but it is also true that to put together a song starting from those ideas is an entirely different task.

C

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: November 30, 2010 15:53

liddas
Where does Keith say in the book that he is the "the main responsible for a majority of the songs"?

I think it is quite the opposite. He makes it damn clear from page 1 that Mick's role was always essential for the composing process, as was the band's contribution for the final product.

To understand his point, just listen to the boots. Before the Winos experience, Keith contributed mainly with riffs, ideas, sounds. Now, it is true that those were the ingredients that made most Rolling Stones songs what they are, but it is also true that to put together a song starting from those ideas is an entirely different task.

C

I guess that was quoted from my post? I got the impression from reading between the line.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: November 30, 2010 16:01

Doxa
elunsi
Doxa
My perception is that Keith gets way too much credit in %s of the Stones material but the fact is that Keith's ideas in riffs, melodies, chord sequences, and over-all his musical intuitions, are essential to the Stones to be what they are. He is the musical genious behind the Stones music - - Doxa

This is what I don´t believe. Keith is not more responsible for melodies and ideas than Mick. Maybe in the mid-60ies it was like that, when Mick wrote mainly the lyrics, but not from the late 60ies on to this day. I think fact is, that we don´t know who was responsible for an idea or a melody, and I think fact is, that we automatically believe Keith is. Take a song like PMS, there was a backing track, but did keith have the idea for "the song Plundered my soul"? For the melody, the lyrics? That was Mick´s. I have not read Keith´s book, but could it be, that, when he writes about the songwriting, he writes about the 60ies only? Keith was very out of it at times in the 70ies, what did Mick do in these times? I am sure he was writing songs! Maybe I am just suspicious of the word genious. I my eyes Mozart was a genious, but not Keith Richards.

I can see your point. I was not claiming that Keith is alone responsible for melodies and ideas but my point is that he has had the best and most important of them in heir careerwise. Those which made the difference. That is why I use the term "essential" - it is not the quantity but the quality. Jagger surely took much of the responsibilites of composing - and not just finishing Keith's ideas but writing from the scratch - from the late 60's on (songs like "Sympathy For The Devil", "You Can't Always get What You Wan", "Brown Sugar" are works of a great songwriter). But I still insist that Keith has something Mick doesn't has, or never have had. There is something I would call "genious" in Keith's understanding of music and its deep dynamics. Mick is more "technical" or "pragmatic". Keith goes so deep. A man who writes the greatest rock and roll song ever "Gimme Shelter" is nothing but a genious (if that term has any application to rock music - which is discussion I am not interested any further). I have always thought that Mick builds up to the musical foundation that is much created by the instincts and intuitions of Keith. And I also think that for this reason Jagger admires Keith very much and forgives a lot of his stupid behavior.

If one reads my posts in this thread and many others I have been really critical to Keith (especially in LIFE that belittles Mick so much) and "justified" Mick's contributution - Mick is really under-estimated, even by many Stones fans - but there is still something substantive reasons why Keith Richards is such an important and unique figure in Stones music. That cannot be denied. No matter what a spoiled jerk he reveals himself to be in LIFE.

- Doxa

I guess everyone has their own opinion but to say Keith has something that Mick doesn't is befuddling. I have always had the perception that Mick feels and knows music on a different level than most and that's one of the reasons why he is so great. Also, I beg to differ about what you consider to be "quality" songs. I do agree that it may have been Keith as the leader in the 60's and those songs were essential to the popularity of the band, but I think Mick took the music to a greater and higher level in the 70's and beyond. Keith seems to have had a very small role in the songs of the last few decades imo. Unfortunately, Keith is perceived as the song writing leader because he has been spewing his propaganda for so long. Mick is a much more humble and diplomatic person and Keith has taken advantage of it. Btw, just to set the record straight, I did not purchase Keith's book, it was given to me, I would never have purchased it.

Date: November 30, 2010 16:08

Lorenz
liddas

C

I guess that was quoted from my post? I got the impression from reading between the line.

Well, yes I did, but only to save time, because most of the people who posted on this thead agree with you smiling smiley

C

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: November 30, 2010 21:49

Doxa

But I still insist that Keith has something Mick doesn't has, or never have had. There is something I would call "genious" in Keith's understanding of music and its deep dynamics. Mick is more "technical" or "pragmatic". Keith goes so deep.

- Doxa[/quote

I think this is problematic when we still don´t know for sure, who wrote what. We don´t even know who wrote the riff for a song. Mick said, that he wrote riffs people assumed are Keiths. Take Brown Sugar - the riff sounds like a Keith-riff, but it isn´t. I am sure there are a lot of similar occations. For that reason I think it is not fair towards Mick to say that he has not the deepness or understanding of music like Keith has. I think it is very much like TrulyMicks said - Keith talks much more about his role in songwriting than Mick. When Keith usually says "I", then Mick usually says "we".

Date: November 30, 2010 22:02

elunsi
Doxa

But I still insist that Keith has something Mick doesn't has, or never have had. There is something I would call "genious" in Keith's understanding of music and its deep dynamics. Mick is more "technical" or "pragmatic". Keith goes so deep.

- Doxa

I think this is problematic when we still don´t know for sure, who wrote what. We don´t even know who wrote the riff for a song. Mick said, that he wrote riffs people assumed are Keiths. Take Brown Sugar - the riff sounds like a Keith-riff, but it isn´t. I am sure there are a lot of similar occations. For that reason I think it is not fair towards Mick to say that he has not the deepness or understanding of music like Keith has. I think it is very much like TrulyMicks said - Keith talks much more about his role in songwriting than Mick. When Keith usually says "I", then Mick usually says "we".

Still see your point and totally agree that "we don't know for sure". I am highly awere that my interpretation is nothing but my own - not to to be supported by any facts or so. Just the way I see the things. Sometimes one can only rely to one's own instincts.cool smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 22:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: November 30, 2010 22:13

Doxa

[ Sometimes one can only rely to one's own instincts.cool smiley

- Doxa

Ok, so I agree that we have different instincts smileys with beer

Date: December 1, 2010 00:43

All this discussion of Jagger taking on much of the responsibilities of composing from the Beggars Banquet era is IMO simply rubbish. There is nothing in Jagger’s personality that suggest that he would be a “finisher”. Jagger was, is, and will be the only leader of the Rolling Stones. In terms of action within the band, it is Jagger and only Jagger who leads the way – from the beginning - perhaps to a fault but Jagger is the only leader within the Stones - musical or otherwise.

As for Richards, I have always found his language to be rather delinquent and his thinking and articulation to be specious. Lyrically, Keith never survived adolescence – “hate it when you leave” any body?? Nothing he has ever said has suggested to me that he is capable of thinking through the creation of a song. Until 1972, he had incredible instincts (as did Jagger) and together they naturally felt their way past many great rock-n’ roll tunes. Dissecting any of the greatest Jagger-Richards compositions as being driven by Keith and “filled” in by Jagger is just plain absurd. Richards is simply incapable of doing anything to completion i.e. coming up with complete lyrics, song titles, the melody, the bridge, the hook. All of this is entirely Jagger – always has been and always will be.

As a guitarist, even in his best days, Richards was peculiarly unimaginative when compared to his contemporaries. His later day references to the Stones as a jazz band only suggests how limited his awareness of commonalities and differences between genres is. Going by the number of genres and musicians he has criticized over the years, one could make a pretty good argument that for a musician Richards surprisingly actually understands very few musical genres outside his own. Wyman once said something to the effect that he was surprised how much Richards’ listened to his own music - to me this corroborates what I have always suspected. Richards only hears his own sounds and his own words – he doesn’t know much of anything else and doesn't have a good ear for anything other than guitar based music. Even within that limited spectrum, Keith really appreciates only those that he modeled himself after. Even when he says that Clapton and Taylor are lovely players, he has to add his own caveats - his own “ifs” and “buts”.

On his own, Keith is exceptionally one dimensional. Being one dimensional is alright if you are exceptionally gifted – a virtuoso. – a purist. Keith is simply not. I have a hard time thinking of Keith as a composer / song writer. he simply doesn't demonstrate the dedication, the focus or the attention to either the art or the craft of music. To me he is a one trick pony who long lost the ability to perform the one and only trick he ever knew. To put it in his own cheesy words – he is the “riff master“ – that’s all he is. Everything he does is half baked. His autobiography clarifies that Richards is simply not fully realized - either as a musician or as a human being.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: December 1, 2010 02:17

Wanderingspirit66, I believe that overtime Mick has stated many times that he was essentially the finisher of Keith's songs until Sticky Fingers with few exceptions, notably SFTD, YCAGWYW.

And we explain the popularity of Keith compositions like Gimme Shelter, Ruby Tuesday and Happy by the general stupidity of the buying public?

We explain the popularity of Talk is Cheap as what?

We explain the diversity of material Keith delivers from melodic pop "How I Wish," country pop "The Wost" (Jagger and Chris Robinson dig it), funk "Big Enough" Romantic adult "Make No Mistake" soul "Hate it When You Leave" (which many people like). Is it really so limited?

I didn't realize "Hate it When You Leave" is so adolecent. I thought it was a soul song with yearning at the core. The lyrics fit the "voice" of the song song. Keith quite rightly understands that no one really wants a 50 page Elvis Costello lyric. I think simplicity with a dash of opposites, sincerity and connection between the voice and lyric are what Keith is shooting for.

So if we look at talk is Cheap "Under pressure to express yourself" "You don't move me anymore" "How we gonna hide it, this thing with you and me." Hate it When You leave stikes that same chord as "THis Place is Empty." There is that connectivity and sincerity between voice and lyric.

Hope this helps. It kind of feels silly defending Keith's solo work as most of know it defends itself.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 1, 2010 05:28

TrulyMicks
[

I guess everyone has their own opinion but to say Keith has something that Mick doesn't is befuddling. I have always had the perception that Mick feels and knows music on a different level than most and that's one of the reasons why he is so great. Also, I beg to differ about what you consider to be "quality" songs. I do agree that it may have been Keith as the leader in the 60's and those songs were essential to the popularity of the band, but I think Mick took the music to a greater and higher level in the 70's and beyond. Keith seems to have had a very small role in the songs of the last few decades imo. Unfortunately, Keith is perceived as the song writing leader because he has been spewing his propaganda for so long. Mick is a much more humble and diplomatic person and Keith has taken advantage of it. Btw, just to set the record straight, I did not purchase Keith's book, it was given to me, I would never have purchased it.

Exactly. I must Doxa, I usually agree on your points but on this point I have to respectfully disagree. I think Keith is a musician's musician, in the sense that he's the guy who lives for the guitar...and his music. We don't see Jagger way because he doesn't project that persona. But I do believe Mick has a more intangible something when it come to music: he's got soul and though he's not a technical musician, he's got the feel, when he plays guitar, harmonica, piano etc...you see it in his rhythmic sense, his movements and - I know this sounds stupid - but the way he closes his eyes....there's a real feeling there, when its honest. You can't fake that. He's the entire package. Remember, Keith, as much as I love Talk is Cheap, needs Steve Jordan when he can't have Mick so.....

Date: December 1, 2010 06:24

Having said all that, this song is gorgeous and the one song Mick should have been jealous of: Make No Mistake.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 1, 2010 06:36

Hate It When You Leave is a great song.

Any effort to dissect the Stones catalog is going to be filed under speculation and not science. Given the varying degrees of contribution and the numerous components to a song, this is not going to get sorted out. Some posters here are predisposed to a bias and so while certainly no fly on the wall,they leap thru hoops to proclaim that they know.....and they don't. Nice hobby I suppose.....

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: December 1, 2010 06:52

You can say that without Keith or Rubin, Mick is aweful. Let's not forget that Mick left the Stones for the solo career putting out aweful records like "She's the Boss" or "Primitive Cool." These albums with songs like "War Baby" or "Let's Work" screamed "Hey look at me I have no idea how to create a good song." Now Keith comes along with "Talk is Cheap" and the songs are varied, mature, and full of conviction. Keith comes off as the guy who knows what he's doing and Jagger comes back to Keith. Keith wins this battle, gets a lot of credibility and gets his band back. So in addition to all the songs on Talk is Cheap, Keith came up with more good songs in this period in my opinion. Keith comes up with a couple of decent tracks which are likely the best on the Steel Wheels album such as "Slipping away" and "Mixed Emotions." Granted Keith's "Can't Be Seen" sucks, but so do many tracks like "Rock and a Hard Place" "Blinded By Love"..... I really don't like Keith's "Almost Hear You Sigh" either.

Then you have Voodoo lounge where Keith comes up with the best tracks notably "The Worst" and "Thru and Thru" plus "You Got Me Rocking." Many individual songs seem to work fairly well on this album. The lyrics on some of Keith's better tunes like "Sparks Will Fly" and "Baby Break it Down" are not too good. The album overall is boring. Keith came up with many good songs for his Main Offender album like "Running Too Deep" "Wicked as it Seems" and "Hate it When You Leave." Since then in my humble opinion the well has run dry. This Place is Empty is pretty decent, I don't really like Infamy and Rough Justice could be more original around the Chorus. I really didn't like any songs on Bridges to Babylon, I'm not sure why Keith likes to talk about this album. Just judging by the look in his eye, it does seem as if Keith has not been mentally sound since around 1994. Just my humble opinion.

Date: December 1, 2010 07:13

MKjan
Hate It When You Leave is a great song.

Any effort to dissect the Stones catalog is going to be filed under speculation and not science. Given the varying degrees of contribution and the numerous components to a song, this is not going to get sorted out. Some posters here are predisposed to a bias and so while certainly no fly on the wall,they leap thru hoops to proclaim that they know.....and they don't. Nice hobby I suppose.....

It's fun to debate but you are correct. I think it starts with Keith though and the perception he has created of Jagger being the glorified lead singer. Whether he believes it or not - i suspect Keith likes be funny....

Date: December 1, 2010 10:41

elunsi
Doxa

- Doxa[/quote

It is a Keith-riff, but Mick wrote the chord progressions. Keith touched it up, and made THE sound. Keith also said that in his book.

Date: December 1, 2010 12:07

stupidguy2
TrulyMicks
[

Exactly. I must Doxa, I usually agree on your points but on this point I have to respectfully disagree. I think Keith is a musician's musician, in the sense that he's the guy who lives for the guitar...and his music. We don't see Jagger way because he doesn't project that persona. But I do believe Mick has a more intangible something when it come to music: he's got soul and though he's not a technical musician, he's got the feel, when he plays guitar, harmonica, piano etc...you see it in his rhythmic sense, his movements and - I know this sounds stupid - but the way he closes his eyes....there's a real feeling there, when its honest. You can't fake that. He's the entire package. Remember, Keith, as much as I love Talk is Cheap, needs Steve Jordan when he can't have Mick so.....

Honesly Stupidguy, I do agree with you, and I agree wholeheartidly with all you say about Jagger. Mick is unique and his approach to music is much much more that of feel than it is usually portraited. He has so much in him what Keith doesn't simply possess. Mick could be even more musical guy actually. But there is something so personal and unique in that Richards guy as well that I think Mick doesn't have. I don't know what exactly it is but something in that guy's determination, stubborness, intuitivity that is so crucial to the Stones to make the musical difference. Keith might be very shy and insecure person but as far as music goes he might be toughest and strongest guy in the world who trusts 100% percent to his own judgement. Maybe it is that "musician's musician" to have that 'purity' and 'no compromises' attitude. To straight to the point without any bullshitting or gimmicks. I think his dedication to perfect his own style as guitarist and as a composer determined the musical core of The Stones. But Mick was always needed; Jagger is the guy who makes it all fly, to make it big, if you know what I mean. But the musical depthness derives from Keith. The Stones still relies to that musical foundation.

But I think that during the 70's Keith lost his muse and afer that his stubborness and wrong kind of musical self-esteem actually started to work against keeping the band on a track. It is sad that he is not able to reflect at all his own musical and creative downhill in LIFE. All I can say that he fvcked up himself as a creative artist with his addictions. I think Mick painfully knows this better than no one else. It must have been a hell to work - or to cope - with a stubborn, egoistic junkie and alcoholic.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-01 12:14 by Doxa.

Date: December 1, 2010 13:10

Doxa

But I think that during the 70's Keith lost his muse and afer that his stubborness and wrong kind of musical self-esteem actually started to work against keeping the band on a track. It is sad that he is not able to reflect at all his own musical and creative downhill in LIFE. All I can say that he fvcked up himself as a creative artist with his addictions. I think Mick painfully knows this better than no one else. It must have been a hell to work - or to cope - with a stubborn, egoistic junkie and alcoholic.

- Doxa

Doxa,

I truly don't see any grounds to your conlcusions.

His recordings (official and boots) from Some Girls onwards tell a completely different story. If you say that he is not prolific as he used to be, fine. To say that he lost his muse is totally unfair.

If the guy who is playing guitar (and, most important, PRODUCED) on Wingless Angels II or Place is Empty, is "a stubborn, egoistic junkie and alcoholic" that has "fvcked up himself as a creative artist", well, quite frankly, if you know others of the kind pass me the names, because I am going to buy all their recordings.

No matter what people think, FOR MY TASTES, if B2B was recorded and mixed from A to Z as the 3 keith tunes, we would have a masterpiece instead of a good record only. Keith's songs are the way things should be done. Always. Timeless magic. State of the art of rock and roll.

How can you praise Dylan's Time out Of mind, and criticize Keith for wanting to take the stones in the same direction, instead of having Charlie's drums sampled!!! I mean, Charlie's drums sampled!!! Are we crazy?

Even if I don't agree with the negativity that permeates your rants vs the Vegas Era, your point of view is EXACTLY the same as Keith's. Make up your mind!smileys with beer

The winos is Keith's idea of how things should work. The 1988 Japan Australian solo tour is Jagger's version. Now tell me which is Vegas?

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-01 13:11 by liddas.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 1, 2010 15:26

Thanks Doxa, always a pleasure to read your posts including the heated debate with Bärs. Both had valid points.
Maybe the difference lies in how Mick, Keith and Brian listen(ed) to music. Maybe Mick listens to others and interprets (with great results) while Keith rests his head on the guitar and "becomes the tone".
This is the Keith of Let it Bleed ( Midnight Rambler), Dance little sister (the riff), Parachute Woman (both guitars), the solo on Route 66, IYCRM live 1975, anything from the 72-tour, the 69-tour, El Mocambo.
On their first album, Brian becomes the King Bee and he is the Little red rooster. I don't really think Mick is a musician in that sense.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: December 1, 2010 17:15

Keith's description of his songwriting partnership with Mick might also suggest why, according to him, he couldn't write with Brian. If his and Mick's preferred method back then was for Mick to finish what Keith started*, then a Jagger-Jones partnership might have been much more productive than a Jones-Richard one. Since Brian, with his worrying and uncertainty, was (I'd guess) much more in need of someone to tidy up his raw material than than of someone to produce more raw material.

(I'm getting the book for Christmas, so this is just from what others have said it says).

*Of course, Keith was quite capable of writing a song from beginning to end.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 1, 2010 20:10

liddas
The winos is Keith's idea of how things should work. The 1988 Japan Australian solo tour is Jagger's version. Now tell me which is Vegas?

C

Very well put!

Date: December 1, 2010 23:49

Doxa

Honesly Stupidguy, I do agree with you, and I agree wholeheartidly with all you say about Jagger. Mick is unique and his approach to music is much much more that of feel than it is usually portraited. He has so much in him what Keith doesn't simply possess. Mick could be even more musical guy actually. But there is something so personal and unique in that Richards guy as well that I think Mick doesn't have. I don't know what exactly it is but something in that guy's determination, stubborness, intuitivity that is so crucial to the Stones to make the musical difference. Keith might be very shy and insecure person but as far as music goes he might be toughest and strongest guy in the world who trusts 100% percent to his own judgement. Maybe it is that "musician's musician" to have that 'purity' and 'no compromises' attitude. To straight to the point without any bullshitting or gimmicks. I think his dedication to perfect his own style as guitarist and as a composer determined the musical core of The Stones. But Mick was always needed; Jagger is the guy who makes it all fly, to make it big, if you know what I mean. But the musical depthness derives from Keith. The Stones still relies to that musical foundation.

- Doxa

I get that point. In fact, I read these posts last night....and haven't really been listening to the Stones since the Exile reissue. This morning, I was listening to a cd of alternate tracks - Bitch and Honky Tonk WOmen ...and thought:
'Who give a @#$%& who wrote more or who started it or who is the "real" musician"?
It's what you said, Mick was always needed, but like you also said, it starts with Keith. Listening to that mean, lean opening riff to Bitch is exhilerating and you think, 'Keith is a genius!' Then, when MIck comes in with that growl, those carnal lyrics and that attitude, you think 'Mick is a genius!'
The same thing with Honky Tonk Woman, that funky guitar kicks it in, and then Mick comes in with that lazy, sexy drawl and those suggestive lyrics....Yes, Keith is the musical gravity, but Jagger gives it the character, the identity, the shape and attitude that make a song iconic.
They have a synergy that is just magical. It really doesn't matter who does what or who is percieved as the authentic one or whatever - together, they have something that is sublime. I know this is not a new revelation, but every once in a while, when the Keith and Mick Wars are in full flourish, I come back to that fact when I listen to their best stuff.

Date: December 2, 2010 00:05

Slimharpo
You can say that without Keith or Rubin, Mick is aweful. quote]

But what is Keith like alone? We don't know, not really.
I will say that Mick seems surrounds himself with whoever he believes will give him a more commercial kick - he picks people based on their latest commercial success, starting with Nile Rodgers (who did great things with Chic and Diana Ross etc..)
Whereas, Keith has formed a musical relationship with Steve Jordan through a previous collaboration. (Hail, Hail..) Keith clicked with Jordan on a musical level - it was a purely musical choice. That's a big difference. One of the more absurd things Jagger has done is to "collaborate" with the Match Box 20 guy, an obvious attempt to recreate the success Thomas had had with Carlos Santana, another older rocker. Mick wanted a piece of that. In later interviews, Thomas implied that he didn't get along with Jagger and that Jagger was aloof (that's a surprise) during the songwriting sessions. Its clear that Jagger was just using this guy's commercial pedigree to boost his own material. That's a blatantly shallow move on Jagger's part. Lenny Kravitz, the same thing, although that made it bit more sense. Keith was working with Jordan because the quality was there, period. With Keith, it was about what worked, not what he wanted to happen.
I mean, Rob Thomas? Even John Mayer, who is maligned for his "pop" sensibilites, said that working with Thomas was easy because it was so formulaic - he literally could just drop a "solo" into the song at a precise moment because it was like a template. Mick can do better than that, which goes back to what Keith said about Mick "second-guessing his own abilities." Speaking of Mayer, Jordan has done great things with him - and this might sound crazy to some of you, but Continuum got me hooked and I couldn't figure out why. Mayer was that kid who wrote pretty songs for teenage girls....I could have cared less, then I heard and loved Mayer's work with the Trio (with Jordan) and then Continuum became one of my favorite listens from the 2000s and the common denominator was Jordan. I hear the same deep grooves I had loved so much on Talk is Cheap. Point being, Keith surrounds himself with quality, not crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-02 00:14 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 2, 2010 11:51

SG2
I get that point. In fact, I read these posts last night....and haven't really been listening to the Stones since the Exile reissue. This morning, I was listening to a cd of alternate tracks - Bitch and Honky Tonk WOmen ...and thought:
'Who give a @#$%& who wrote more or who started it or who is the "real" musician"?
It's what you said, Mick was always needed, but like you also said, it starts with Keith. Listening to that mean, lean opening riff to Bitch is exhilerating and you think, 'Keith is a genius!' Then, when MIck comes in with that growl, those carnal lyrics and that attitude, you think 'Mick is a genius!'
The same thing with Honky Tonk Woman, that funky guitar kicks it in, and then Mick comes in with that lazy, sexy drawl and those suggestive lyrics....Yes, Keith is the musical gravity, but Jagger gives it the character, the identity, the shape and attitude that make a song iconic.
They have a synergy that is just magical. It really doesn't matter who does what or who is percieved as the authentic one or whatever - together, they have something that is sublime. I know this is not a new revelation, but every once in a while, when the Keith and Mick Wars are in full flourish, I come back to that fact when I listen to their best stuff.

ABSOLUTELY! That's the best post I've read ever at IORR or anywhere about The Rolling Stones! You get the very essence of their magic

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 2, 2010 13:22

You can argue forever which half matters more - but together they cut it.

Well said, stupidguy2.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 2, 2010 17:11

Just read in a top french weekly magazine that " Life" was at # 3 ( down from # 2 prior week) at Fnac Stores for the week ending 11/28/10 just behind the french pulitzer winner !!! I would never have bet a dime on that score.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: December 2, 2010 20:58

Life by Keith Richards -
autobiography signing at Waterstone's Piccadilly

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 2, 2010 23:02

..To phd...for me( a french fan since the beginning) the big success of the Keith book here is simply incredible...some stupid french journalists believe to find the key in his presence in the pirates film which would attract young generations..

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 3, 2010 12:40

kait
Life by Keith Richards -
autobiography signing at Waterstone's Piccadilly

Thanks for posting this !

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 3, 2010 12:51

[davideikon.com]

(after the advertisement )

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home