Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 35
Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 14, 2010 13:00

swiss
Cocaine Eyes
I'm only in Chapter Three as I read books for a living (so, there's only so much reading a person can do on any given day), but from what I've read so far....I'm enjoying this book a great deal.
Two points to proudmary:
1. You say that (in the book) Keith doesn't "see consequences of his actions and takes responsibility for nothing." Well, perhaps you've not seen the interview which Keith did a number of years ago in which he talks about how drugs "make you selfish".

2."And the worst part is now I see he has envied people all his life." I see this as a vulnerability and an admission of his own weaknesses (as we all have as human beings).

That's my 2 cents' worth so far.....

#1 - but when you get off drugs you're supposed to not be selfish in that way anymore - I don't think Keith was claiming that once you take drugs your DNA changes and you morph into a selfish person

#2 - Keith isn't saying with self-reflection in LIFE that he's envied people all his life; it's kinda clear that he has, whether he realizes how much that motivates him, and apparently he hasn't moved beyond that.

Still: Loving LIFE, tho also only at Chapter3-ish!

To swiss:

Regarding "being selfish" when one's a drug user/abuser....it's very difficult to walk in the shoes of another and to judge their level of 'selfishness'. Keith was saying that being a drug addict, he became "selfish" and I took that to mean he only was looking for the next fix. Even the Stones came second place to him. And, in the interview to which I was referring, Keith admits that making the Stones be "second place" to him was "inconceivable". I really liked hearing him make that admission.

As I'm only in Chapter Three, I only have Keith's words from the interview to go on. I haven't hit the drug stuff in the book yet.

Agreed....still loving Life.

Re: IORRians Reviews Quips Comments About Keith's LIFE
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 15, 2010 00:51

Slimharpo
Are you saying that Keith Richards is a lot less famous than Mick? Keith is friends with Johnny Depp...

wow...really?? johnny depp? (he typed.... sarcastically)

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 15, 2010 23:30

Just listened to the first 2 chapters.Riveting,intelligent,historical, and humorous.Enjoying Depp's narrative too.Jobs a good un.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 16, 2010 01:00

stargroover
Just listened to the first 2 chapters.Riveting,intelligent,historical, and humorous.Enjoying Depp's narrative too.Jobs a good un.

Interesting. I ordered the book on CD's too. I enjoyed reading it, now I am looking forward to listening to it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 16, 2010 01:16

Rolling Hansie
stargroover

Interesting. I ordered the book on CD's too. I enjoyed reading it, now I am looking forward to listening to it.

In stereo?

Date: November 16, 2010 01:24

Amsterdamned
In stereo?

smiling smiley Absolutely. And with my headphones on of course.

-------------------

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 16, 2010 02:42

i still like keith alot....having said that,this kinda shit just makes me shake my head.

even if you buy the excuses,he was ill,just had the accident,his wife was sick....

keith richards,the keith richards i remember wouldnt give some pissant journalist the time of day let alone write a response to the guys opinion of a show.

a writer in the 70s named charles shaar murray panned black and blue and then ended up in keiths room [where everyone gathered to party each night and listen to a playback of the show ] on the 76 tour.

they had a little back and forth -"your review was bloody stupid"-"yeah,well i thought the album was a bit disappointing'..and it was forgotten.nobody was thrown out of the room,yelled at or tapped on the head.the coolest guy on the planet said his piece and dropped it.in fact when they checked out ronnie and keith left the writer a funny note"to charles,the disappointed man..."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2010 05:47

behroez
Keith is the man who in many ways has been the decisive factor for the shaping of the image that up till this day and always will stay attached to the name the Rolling Stones. If you say that name the Rolling Stones, people automatically will think of Satisfaction, Tuesday or any other golden Stones song that was written by Keith. The image that people will get is the sex, drugs and rock and roll image crafted very much around "the living Count Dracula of Rock and Roll" Keith. And the picture in the head will always be the one with Keith and Brian etc. Nothing will ever change that. Even if the worst nightmare for Keith will become true, a Stones succesfull without him, when Jagger, Wood, Taylor, Watts (and maybe Wyman or else Darryll) will lock themselves up in a studio for a year without Keith but with a good producer and some good songwriters to come out with a brandnew Stones album to celebrate the 50 yrs of the Stones, that will outsell every previous Stones album ever made. And if they will go than without Keith on a worldtour playing only those new songs and new renditions of old covers but no Keith compositions, and it will be hailed as the best Stones tour ever breaking all exisitng attendance records. Closing that tour off with a final concert broadcasted via satelite all over the world (without Keith or his compositions) to which a worldrecord of people will look. Even than, even than that image of the Rolling Stones will still be the one of the Stones with Keith. Like when you mention Pink Floyd no matter how many albums Floyd sold in the 70's the image of Floyd wil ALWAYS be the one with Syd Barrett. In fact that last succes will be like a kind of homage to the founder members, to look proud at and say, look i was there when it started. Keith, arthritis and a head dive has taking it's toll, you can't beat life it has it's own ways wheter we like it or not. Let it be and give your blessing to Taylor and let him and Wood, Jagger and Watts fiddle around in the studio for themselves, and take the luxury of enjoying it from the other side (as a spectator) of that which you have been so instrumental of in creating.

While I totally agree with you, I find your example poor. Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall make you forget about Syd...they did those WITHOUT the crazy diamond. I believe for most people, it is Rogers Waters/David Gilmour....and mostly Roger Waters as that image.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 16, 2010 10:20

Leaving Stones unturned
By Larry Katz

If you’re not already a Rolling Stones fan, why would you want to read the 547-page autobiography of the band’s guitarist, Keith Richards?

And if you are a fan, well, you’re not going to find much significantly new in “Life,” written with the help of journalist James Fox. Keith does deliver some inside bits, both professional and personal: He explains the five-string guitar tuning intrinsic to the sound of Stones classics like “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Honky Tonk Women”; and he shares the family recipe for his favorite dish, bangers and mash (good luck following his lengthy yet vague instructions).

But the story of the Stones and of Richards himself has been told many times before in many other books. Given his charming, rogueish personality and unique vantage point, you come to “Life” expecting the most entertaining and insightful telling of the Stones story ever. If only. Though Keith promises as much in his handwritten note on the book’s dust jacket: “This is the Life. Believe it or not I haven’t forgotten any of it.”

Perhaps, but he has forgotten to write what we most want to know, such as what was Brian Jones, the self-proclaimed leader of the band before his death in 1969, like as a person? Rather disagreeable, according to Keith, though he neglects to give us any sense of their early friendship or of Brian as a person.

Every other figure in Keith’s life gets similarly superficial treatment. His love/hate relationship with Mick Jagger is an old story (though it is catty fun to know that Keith refers to him as both Brenda and “Your Majesty”). He loves Charlie Watts, but the Stones drummer remains as mysterious a figure as he does onstage. Keith notes that he has spent years playing with a group of Rastafarians in his house in Jamaica - now that’s interesting, no? - but offers little in the way of specifics. He does spend quite a bit of time rambling on about his years as a heroin user, confirming the truism that every junkie’s story is essentially and drearily the same.

For all its considerable length, “Life” feels frustratingly short on detail. I finished it believing that Keith is an extremely likable, if unconsciously self-centered chap and wanting him to tell more, not least about these three things:

1. The music he came up with on “Paint It Black”: “Maybe it was the Jew in me. It’s more like ‘Hava Nagila’ or some Gypsy lick. Maybe I picked it up from my granddad.” Let’s assume he’s speaking metaphorically. Because if his granddad is a Jew or Gypsy, Keith never says.
2. Talking about his close friendship with fellow-addict/musician Gram Parsons: “We took this cure in Cheyne Walk, and it was Gram and me in my four-poster bed, the only guy I ever slept with.” Interpret as you wish.

3. “For many years I slept, on average, twice a week. This means I have been conscious for at least three lifetimes.” Really? Twice a week? Really?

[www.bostonherald.com]

Date: November 16, 2010 11:17

<Because if his granddad is a Jew or Gypsy, Keith never says.>

Neither did Keith's relatives, Keith writes. The subject was not to be discussed.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 16, 2010 15:56

"2. Talking about his close friendship with fellow-addict/musician Gram Parsons: “We took this cure in Cheyne Walk, and it was Gram and me in my four-poster bed, the only guy I ever slept with.” Interpret as you wish."

This one seems pretty obvious. They both stayed in the same bed while kicking the drug, awake and asleep.

Date: November 16, 2010 16:31

angee
"2. Talking about his close friendship with fellow-addict/musician Gram Parsons: “We took this cure in Cheyne Walk, and it was Gram and me in my four-poster bed, the only guy I ever slept with.” Interpret as you wish."

This one seems pretty obvious. They both stayed in the same bed while kicking the drug, awake and asleep.

no, it's not that simple

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: November 16, 2010 17:16

Page 272 gets to be pretty interesting. I thought his handling of the evil Cammell creature was obv. a very weird time and the accident in the Atlas Mountains was pretty eyebrow raising...yikes.

Date: November 16, 2010 17:20

proudmary
no, it's not that simple

smiling smiley Yes it is, besides that it is also funny

-------------------

Date: November 16, 2010 17:23

stargroover

Got the audiobook today ... 20 CD's ... Only listened to a small part of it, but yes, it is fun listening. Wondering now if it's fun listening and reading at the same time.

-------------------

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 16, 2010 22:27

<It’s more like ‘Hava Nagila’><Keith>

Hope he's going to use the minor harmonic scale in the future.

Would be surprising and refreshing.smiling smiley

[www.tonalcentre.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-16 22:34 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 22:45

I have the Audios .6CD's .
In german was reading by Stephan Remmler from the Band Trio .(Da da da)
What announcer in other languarge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-16 22:50 by Broesel2404.

Date: November 16, 2010 23:20

Hi Broesel
You probably have the short version.
English version I have is 20 CD's with Keith Richards, Johnny Depp and Joe Hurley.

-------------------

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 23:41

mine is the short version = 400min
sadly is my english to small
luckiness for all english speaken people

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 17, 2010 05:24

proudmary
angee

no, it's not that simple

Why not and how do y0u know? I wanted to say too, like Rolling Hansie that it's meant to be funny.

Date: November 17, 2010 10:05

angee
proudmary
angee

no, it's not that simple

Why not and how do y0u know? I wanted to say too, like Rolling Hansie that it's meant to be funny.

It was a joke obviously.
But 'course there is homosexual side to Keith. Look what words he chooses to talk about Gram " I fell for Gram at spring 68".
Btw, Anita tells it all the time - Keith much prefers men company and likes the males adulatoin. The essence of his relationship with Mick is pure homoerotic
Saying all that I don't assert that Keith is gay. We all know that "Keith is completely straight, of course"

Date: November 17, 2010 10:35

proudmary
It was a joke obviously.
Keith is completely straight, of course

>grinning smiley< Now you got it

-------------------

Date: November 17, 2010 10:54

proudmary
angee
proudmary
angee

no, it's not that simple

It was a joke obviously.
But 'course there is homosexual side to Keith. Look what words he chooses to talk about Gram " I fell for Gram at spring 68".
Btw, Anita tells it all the time - Keith much prefers men company and likes the males adulatoin. The essence of his relationship with Mick is pure homoerotic
Saying all that I don't assert that Keith is gay. We all know that "Keith is completely straight, of course"

Interesting take on it, but pure fiction and imagination, imo.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 17, 2010 18:38

A friend of Keith's in the book tells of when someone in a studio was telling Keith how to improve a song he'd written. And Keith throws a knife at the guy, and the knife sticks in the seat just below the guy's crotch. "Don't tell the Rolling Stones how to write a song."

But I read in a Keith biography a few years ago the same tale, except Keith threw the knife in the floor at the guy's feet. Which I found a lot more believable!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-17 18:42 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2010 08:20

Title5Take1
A friend of Keith's in the book tells of when someone in a studio was telling Keith how to improve a song he'd written. And Keith throws a knife at the guy, and the knife sticks in the seat just below the guy's crotch. "Don't tell the Rolling Stones how to write a song."

But I read in a Keith biography a few years ago the same tale, except Keith threw the knife in the floor at the guy's feet. Which I found a lot more believable!

You mean to tell me some of these tales by Keith are embellished?! I want my money back!

Date: November 18, 2010 11:07

Title5Take1
the knife in the floor at the guy's feet. Which I found a lot more believable!

Yeah, but the other story is more fun eh ?

-------------------

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 18, 2010 11:40

Almost 2/3 of the way through Life, and enjoying it alot.

I am sure it will already have been noticed here, but the inclusion of Satisfaction in the list of open G hits made me laugh. The options are: Keith did not read the book and the guy who reviewed the draft had very little knowledge of the stones or, the statement is correct, at least from Keith's point of view, and now we know why Satisfaction normally turns into a trainwreck grinning smiley

Also funny Waddy's story of Keith telling him "I'm lost in the sea of intros" or something like it!

Great read!

C

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2010 11:42

.... Keith's vacation in Africa is a killer ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 18, 2010 12:30

liddas
Almost 2/3 of the way through Life, and enjoying it alot.

I am sure it will already have been noticed here, but the inclusion of Satisfaction in the list of open G hits made me laugh. The options are: Keith did not read the book and the guy who reviewed the draft had very little knowledge of the stones or, the statement is correct, at least from Keith's point of view, and now we know why Satisfaction normally turns into a trainwreck grinning smiley

Also funny Waddy's story of Keith telling him "I'm lost in the sea of intros" or something like it!

Great read!

On several boots, Keith starts Before They Make Me Tun with a Happy-ish riff. Then he gets back on track smiling smiley

C

[b]O si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.[/b]
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 18, 2010 13:02

This thing has been discussed all over this board over again and headlined by tabloids all over the world: Keith writing about Mick's "tiny todger" in his autobiography "LIFE".

Still, I just don't get it. And, the size question notwithstanding, how can Keith be so stupid to eternalise such a silly thing in his book? Has he finally lost the last relicts of his brains? This behaviour appears unbelievably foolish and childish and imprudent. Are there no consultants and advisors around him? That subject matter must have been discussed a thousand times prior to getting it printed. Or does it all have some inner meaning that is still concealed to outsiders?

O si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

"If you had been silent, you would have remained a philosopher."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home