Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 35
Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 4, 2010 22:35

mr_dja
see if I can get my brain to function better for you

Thanks, would appreciate that very much

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: mockingbird3 ()
Date: November 5, 2010 00:42

The comparison w Mozrt is pretty ridiculous. Some arcane point regarding master composers harmony arrangements and structures drones etc...ARE legit always...theres epic dimension in classical work that is in foundational "western" world musics...and fun to be able to relate the observations but in context with Keith's sad and unintentionally revealing 'stories' for the publisher's writer on this holiday product, seems one more impotent barnyard strut by a jealous bitter guy who aside from coasting quit on his own gifts of composition and technique before their 20th never mind their 50th year. Still we love him. We love them. We are fascinated and care about them and we are hugely grateful for so much soul and at least an unbelievable ten long fascinating years as album makers. But I will never think of Keith again as particularly smart or iterate, nor the mature powerful brave magic spirit and dedicated artist I had assumed as a big fan. Nor di I expect much honesty or even human decency or honesty to the people in that amazing band that made him as much as he made them. I am honestly sorry to say so...and I do love the joy and beauty he has given to all of us. Actually that should be more than enough he has given so much. But that endless junke automatic lies and attacks and bragging gets real old real fast. Let. Thank goodness he is reasonably healthy . I will always be interested in whats up with all of them. gKeith very far fro m Mozrt level comittment or scope or ability. But once upon a time....it all seemed so genuine.. I thought he might really have something to say. in a more self aware manner. . Cynical petty is a surprise frankly. If the Stones is his "baby" Dad's been driving drunk and asleep at the wheel.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 5, 2010 01:24

stupidguy2
Doxa
LeonidP
Doxa
..."Miss You" is way to make Mick ridiculous and laughable...
- Doxa

by the way, here's a specific example of how you are trying to turn things around that Keith mentions as a positive to a negative:

---------------------------------
We didn't think much of "Miss You" when we were doing it. It was "Aah, Mick's been to the disco and has come out humming some other song." It's a result of all the nights Mick spent at Studio 54 and coming up with that beat, that four on the floor. And he said, add the melody to the beat. We just thought we'd put our oar in on Mick wanting to do some disco shit, keep the man happy. But as we got into it, it became quite an interesting beat. And we realized, maybe we've got a quintessential disco thing here. And out of it we got a huge hit.
---------------------------------

So basically he's saying he was wrong to think little of the song at first and realized it had the stuff of a hit.

I didn't speak what Keith - or "we" - thinks about the song; the point is how to see Mick's contribution in it. Keith claims that Mick just came with "that beat, that four on he floor", and asked the others - read: Keith - to "add the melody". Basically he just says that Mick had an idea of a disco song in his mind - a beat - thanks to his nights in Studio 54, and the rest - guess who? - builded up a song around Mick's wish "to keep the man happy".

Well, this is what the "disco boy" says of its origin:

I got that together with Billy Preston, actually. Yeah, Billy had shown me the four-on-the-floor bass-drum part, and I would just play the guitar. I remember playing that in the El Mocambo club when Keith was on trial in Toronto for whatever he was doing. We were supposed to be there making this live record... I was still writing it, actually. We were just in rehearsal.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

During the rehearsal of the El Mocambo gig I wrote the song Miss You. So I remember that 'cause I was waiting for everyone in the band to turn up and I was with Billy Preston, and Billy Preston was playing the kick drum and I was always playing the guitar and I wrote Miss You on that so I remember that moment very well.

- Mick Jagger, 2001

Everyone is free to make own interpretations.

- Doxa

P.S. I haven't yet grinning smiley discussed of the "we" anonym Keith loves to use rhetorically in the book, and on some really specific moments uses the authority of 'neutral' Charlie Watts to back up Keith's claims or opinions which I find a bit disgusting, too (maybe I will talk it some day...), but here is one quote relevant here:

A lot of those songs like Miss You on Some Girls... were heavily influenced by going to the discos. You can hear it in a lot of those four on the floor rhythms and the Philadelphia-style drumming. Mick and I used to go to discos a lot... It was a great period. I remember being in Munich and coming back from a club with Mick singing one of the Village People songs - YMCA, I think it was - and Keith went mad, but it sounded great on the dance floor.

- Charlie Watts, 2003

That says it all for me. That settles it for me. I love Keith, but some people take everything he says as the gospel truth and get pissy when people suggest maybe his memory may a bit cloudy and self-serving. The truth is, Keith (during the SG rehearsals, recording) was not exactly in much condition to be that reliable.
This song has Mick all over it....the A minor, the ooh-ooh-oohs....it sounds like something that just came together all at once, as opposed to Keith saving it.

Were you there in Paris at the studio? Seems unlikely. I can be wrong, but the outtakes from this period show the band as VERY cohesive. Was Jagger directing some of the songs as they evolved? Absolutely. Keith did it with other tracks. I think Keith has the right to say what he wants about certain songs or sessions as he remembers them. Musically though to discount his contributions to the Some Girls session is ludicrous. I am at that point in the book where he speaks about Miss You and those sessions. As I see this book thus far Keith is not over the top critical about MJ as a musician/songwriter. No way. In fact, he speaks in very positive terms his respect and admiration for Mick as a song writer and lyricist, harp player, singer. Where is all the negativity people keep slamming in here. I remain amazed as a fan from back in the very early 60's that these guys were able to keep it together and make so much great music without killing each other. It says much about their dedication to the band and in the end to fact that despite all the BS, once they get around to the music that is what counts. It remains the bond. They are still friends and connect when the music matters.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 5, 2010 01:47

Calm down, with all do respect to Lord Keef, his takes on things have always had an air of inconsistency about them. Not just in this book, but in the last 30 years I've been reading about the Stones. I'll take Mick and Charlie's take on Miss You, thank you. Don't get so ruffled, I love the guy and he's entertaining and witty as @#$%&, but just be careful about Life as the Bible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-05 01:49 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 5, 2010 02:15

In % how much did Keith writes about music e.g. the making of songs and studio stories?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 5, 2010 02:57

NICOS
In % how much did Keith writes about music e.g. the making of songs and studio stories?

Tough call. I'm in the middle of Ch. 11 at this point (during Undercover section) ... I would ballpark it as about 20% that discusses song writing/development.

There is one thing I'm getting a little annoyed at. Up to the point I'm at, there is almost NO talk about Charlie or Bill. Very little near the beginning when they joined, but almost zilch afterwards. Didn't they ever spend time together? Keith only knew Graham Parsons for approx 3/4 years and he easily writes 10 times more about him than either Charlie or Bill. Very odd! So the book has been great so far, imo, but with so little about these 2 I feel there has been so much left out! === Although I did just get to the story where Charlie takes offense to Mick calling him "my drummer".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-05 02:57 by LeonidP.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 5, 2010 03:20

Thanks LeonidP for the reply, in my opinion 20% is to less for a R&R band to write about...........I really loved to read about the making of there first record ....AfterMath......... Beggars........LIB and so on

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 5, 2010 08:50

Squiggle
It's like a modern damnatio memoriae.

It is, indeed (the mot juste)!

I came upon passages about Brian last night while digging into the book, and as much as I respect and appreciate (and enjoy) Keith, the tone with which he refers to Brian is laced with lye and derision. The intent, it does seem, is to officially redirect memory, as punishment for some god-unknown set of infractions (as some have suggested, perhaps in part Brian's being the keenest object of Anita's affection throughout the years?).

Ultimately, in those passages he --I hate to say this-- reminds me of a 8th grade girl in a ill-disguised fit of pique, and feel a bit embarrassed reading this unworthy rhetoric.

- swiss

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 5, 2010 09:24

filstan
Were you there in Paris at the studio? Seems unlikely. I can be wrong, but the outtakes from this period show the band as VERY cohesive. Was Jagger directing some of the songs as they evolved? Absolutely. Keith did it with other tracks. I think Keith has the right to say what he wants about certain songs or sessions as he remembers them. Musically though to discount his contributions to the Some Girls session is ludicrous. I am at that point in the book where he speaks about Miss You and those sessions. As I see this book thus far Keith is not over the top critical about MJ as a musician/songwriter. No way. In fact, he speaks in very positive terms his respect and admiration for Mick as a song writer and lyricist, harp player, singer. Where is all the negativity people keep slamming in here. I remain amazed as a fan from back in the very early 60's that these guys were able to keep it together and make so much great music without killing each other. It says much about their dedication to the band and in the end to fact that despite all the BS, once they get around to the music that is what counts. It remains the bond. They are still friends and connect when the music matters.

I think you are dead right, filstan. It is pretty much all speculation. Maybe Jagger bounced off ideas with Billy Preston, and then presented them to the rest of the band, including Keith, to tinker with a little more. Songwriting isn't an exact science. Keith may not have been present when Jagger was negotiating the song with Billy originally. It could be 45% Mick, 25% Billy, 35% rest of band, or maybe 65% Mick, 23% Billy, 10% rest of the band, and 2% Fred Bloggs who was residing as the doorman at studio 54 at the time (ever wondered where those ooooh ooohs come from !!). That's why this endless speculation is so fruitless. Adding to the fact these events took place 33 years ago, so there's liable to be some discrepancy there too. I wonder if Doxa can remember what he was doing on April 24th 1977. I'd like him to answer in precise detail, and also on 8th August 1971 and July 27 1970,! Doxa, did you take an apple for lunch on october 24th 1980 or a banana ............ now don't lie to me!!!!!!!!!! Do i have to check with the canteen staff!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-05 09:42 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 5, 2010 09:27

swiss,
Keith has used harsh words about Brian going back many years, even with a harsher tone than what he writes in his book. Memory would be redirected if he suddenly painted a rosy picture, that would be a departure. As for god-unknown infractions, well, based on many accounts about Brian by others, easy to believe it.

Date: November 5, 2010 10:27

Songwriting partnerships and percentages have no business in the same sentence. You can not use this kind of criteria when it comes to writing songs.
One could argue that while "Brown Sugar" was written by Jagger alone, his close kinship with Keith would have influenced him at every step of the way. Having watched Keith play for years would have surely shaped his new found writing style; just as Keith could surely have heard Jagger drawl "Angie" in his head early on. It's a big messy cluster of input and ego.
About Keith's book: Keith is a pirate, a rocker, drug user, road warrior; is he really supposed to make perfect sense at the end of the day? Have his stories tied up with neat ribbons and dots? This sounds to me more like people trying to shape him to work along their own organized life.

Date: November 5, 2010 11:49

Well said, Palace.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 5, 2010 13:27

It doesn't really say anything that we haven't heard a thousand times already within the last few days, but here we go ..........

[www.independent.co.uk]

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: November 5, 2010 14:01

MKjan
As for god-unknown infractions, well, based on many accounts about Brian by others, easy to believe it.
Keith has also shown, although rare, a more reflective side when talking about Brian during the same time he has been bashing him - he has even described Brian as "great". The official verdicts from the Stones on Brian are generally very one-sided where the negative aspects on his persona always tend to be in the spotlight. Bill has at least tried to give a more fair view on Brian.

To those who only have been fed with the negative aspects of him I suggest that you pick up Laura Jacksons book on Brian. She defends him too much but it's filled with quotes from people who knew him and worked with him - it contains both good and bad. It's a gem.

Posted by: Flash1 ()
Date: November 5, 2010 14:25

?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 5, 2010 15:18

mr_dja
Rolling Hansie
BTW, in the same chapter Keith is talking about the 5 chord open tuning. He speaks about Mozart and Vivaldi using the same technique in some sort of way. Now I am not a guitarplayer myself and I am only a very little bit into classical music. Anyone here to Shine A Light on that ?

If I can remember the part in the book correctly...

Keith was talking about the use of a "Pedal Tone". I think he referred to it as a pedal rather than a "suspension".

As it's been 20 years since I finished my last "official" music theory class in college, I went to wikipedia and found what I think to be a pretty good explination. You can click this link: [en.wikipedia.org]

Though they describe it as a pedal point, I believe this is what Keith was talking about. Not quite a "drone" (like a bag-pipe) but a note from an original chord that is held under multiple chords for (typically) an extended period of time is a pedal tone (or point).

A suspension is typically a note being held from a previous chord into a second chord where the note doesn't typically played. Generally, when a third chord is played, that suspended note is realeased.

I'm wishing I could think of an example but I'm struggling to do so right now. The signature riff (although made up of multiple notes as opposed to just one note) from "Peter Gunn Theme" is sort of an example of the technique. The bass part holds the same riff for the entire song while the horn parts play the song.

Peace,
Mr DJA

A pedal point is NOT part of the root, it is dissonant to the root. For example, if you play blues in E, a bass run from D to E via Eflat makes the Eflat a pedal point before it returns to root, E. Beautiful use of inverse pedal points is Jones's mellotron part on 2000 Lightyears.

The Mozart comparison to Keith is quite rediculous actually. Stones music has as much to do with Mozart as punk movement with Persian folk.

Concerning 5-string open tuning and Mozart all I could think of was that before standard concert tuning most stringed instruments, including harpsichords and the like, where tuned in open tunings like open G. So, instead of spanning 4 or 5 octaves over the entire keyboard the instrument would be tuned to repeats of the open tuning over the octaves. Before standard tuning, in order to be able to play a certain piece of music one had the retune the instrument to the tuning of the piece.

Mathijs

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 5, 2010 16:52

Mathijs
mr_dja
Rolling Hansie
BTW, in the same chapter Keith is talking about the 5 chord open tuning. He speaks about Mozart and Vivaldi using the same technique in some sort of way. Now I am not a guitarplayer myself and I am only a very little bit into classical music. Anyone here to Shine A Light on that ?

If I can remember the part in the book correctly...

Keith was talking about the use of a "Pedal Tone". I think he referred to it as a pedal rather than a "suspension".

As it's been 20 years since I finished my last "official" music theory class in college, I went to wikipedia and found what I think to be a pretty good explination. You can click this link: [en.wikipedia.org]

Though they describe it as a pedal point, I believe this is what Keith was talking about. Not quite a "drone" (like a bag-pipe) but a note from an original chord that is held under multiple chords for (typically) an extended period of time is a pedal tone (or point).

A suspension is typically a note being held from a previous chord into a second chord where the note doesn't typically played. Generally, when a third chord is played, that suspended note is realeased.

I'm wishing I could think of an example but I'm struggling to do so right now. The signature riff (although made up of multiple notes as opposed to just one note) from "Peter Gunn Theme" is sort of an example of the technique. The bass part holds the same riff for the entire song while the horn parts play the song.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Stones music has as much to do with Mozart as punk movement with Persian folk.

Mathijs

I think you underestimate the influence of western classical music on the Stones. People always only talk about the influence of blues, old rock & roll, country and other 'American' music on the Stones. But basically they're standing in the 'white' western musical tradition, just like the Beatles, Pink Floyd and lots of others. I know saying this sounds like cursing in the church and won't get much response here, but listen carefully to much of their music and you will hear it.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: November 5, 2010 21:02

Daily Mail review, gives a comprehensive preview of the book's high points and low blows: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Brian Jones is apparently described as a cold-blooded and vicious dwarf who beat his girlfriends, Mick Taylor was "a waste of space". On the upside though, we get Keef's recipe for bangers and mash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-05 21:07 by Claire_M.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 5, 2010 22:34

Keith actually speaks extremely highly of Mick Taylor's musicianship, saying Mick knew where Keith was going in his guitar playing, before Keith knew himself. The style of songs Keith wrote subconsciously changed too, because Mick Taylor offered up wider options. I think the Stones did offer a wonderful framework, for Mick Taylor to show off his musical virtuoso. They complimented each other wonderfully.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 5, 2010 23:53

To filstan,
The negativity there is more about Mick's personal style of interaction, and Keith's hurt, that in his mind, Mick has very much distanced himself from Keith, and according to Keith, from almost everyone.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: November 5, 2010 23:55

tonterapi
MKjan
As for god-unknown infractions, well, based on many accounts about Brian by others, easy to believe it.
Keith has also shown, although rare, a more reflective side when talking about Brian during the same time he has been bashing him - he has even described Brian as "great". The official verdicts from the Stones on Brian are generally very one-sided where the negative aspects on his persona always tend to be in the spotlight. Bill has at least tried to give a more fair view on Brian.

To those who only have been fed with the negative aspects of him I suggest that you pick up Laura Jacksons book on Brian. She defends him too much but it's filled with quotes from people who knew him and worked with him - it contains both good and bad. It's a gem.

"I don't really want to pop psychoanalysis Brian. I think he was a shy person-and shy people in show business put themselves at risk. Those people are very bad for show business because they're not like some other people, like myself or more extroverted people. We have a shy part, of course, and don't want to make fools of ourselves, but it's completely overshadowed by an extrovert nature. You take the knocks and you deal with it. But Brian wasn't really like that, and there are a lot of other people like that, and they try to handle it by drinking, being rude,and they suffer.Brian just wanted to be in a blues band band and didn't really think it was gonna be show business." - Mick Jagger, 1999. Mick was/is perceptive.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 5, 2010 23:57

Thanks to you too Mathijs for trying to explain

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 5, 2010 23:57

Edward Twining
Keith actually speaks extremely highly of Mick Taylor's musicianship, saying Mick knew where Keith was going in his guitar playing, before Keith knew himself. The style of songs Keith wrote subconsciously changed too, because Mick Taylor offered up wider options. I think the Stones did offer a wonderful framework, for Mick Taylor to show off his musical virtuoso. They complimented each other wonderfully.

Nice to hear that, Edward. It doesn't surprise me. They both understood each other at a musical level and we can hear that by the way they played the music. Like someone else in another thread already said (sorry, forgot the name): they were complementary. I think we notice that without knowing we do when we listen to them playing together. In the L&G movie one can also see how Taylor concentrates on Keith and Mick constantly, by looking at them from time to time, but mostly by listening and musical feeling of course. One of the reasons I always like to watch L&G is the interaction between Keith and both Micks, the chemistry of the band that produces the energy. So I don't understand people who say Taylor is boring on stage. I would say: look at him and the band with fresh, or better, 'new' eyes, pay attention to the subtleties. Not only to the big gestures, but also the tiny ones.

Posted by: mockingbird3 ()
Date: November 6, 2010 01:29

Marie that Mick quote was stunning. Heartbreaking. Keith if anything ur book has showed me in context what an astute thoughtful caring and reflective man Jagger can be. THAT is mostly wat I'm getting from LIFE. I never thought I'd change camps but the camp thing was always bullshit. No wonder you couldn't keep Wyman or memtor Taylor. Bill is classy and holds back but staff people have eyes and ears , and publically they show loyalty even years after, as gentlemen, but the bitterness and pettiness was ugly . The inherent tabloid nature never as appealing as even one good song. Latter day Mick still keeps it in check. I have renewed respect for his struggle. I bet he was hopeless hurt disgusted and angry at the hopelessness of it all when he went solo. Might have saved his soul. Mick can be uptight and over mannered and too clever for sure but look at the miseable old frrk he could be instead of usually just funny droll a bit above it all. But hey now I know who the frrk Mick Jagger is... All things considered a smart diplomatic kind and caring guy. And the most compelling exciting stage performer that I0've ever seen. . . . . . I think his recent artistic and business decisions pretty cynical though. So is everybody clear and speaking as one? U knuckleheads kiss make up call Taylor get Bill Rons good. Get McCglagen and get the holy furk bak to work its almost all over anyway.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 6, 2010 02:44

Edward Twining

Agree. But Keith is just as two-faced about Taylor as he is about Brian, saying many glowing things about his musicianship, but mocking his personality and his lack of achievements after leaving the band (well deserved on that count, in my opinion). He has said Taylor is a "lovely guy" but also that he was too shy, among other things.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: November 6, 2010 02:51

MKjan
swiss,
Keith has used harsh words about Brian going back many years, even with a harsher tone than what he writes in his book. Memory would be redirected if he suddenly painted a rosy picture, that would be a departure. As for god-unknown infractions, well, based on many accounts about Brian by others, easy to believe it.

Well, many other rock star contemporaries have said nice things about Brian, including George Harrison, Pete Townshend, Eric Burdon, Jimmy Page, Paul McCartney, and of course Bill Wyman. Jimi Hendrix dedicated a song to Brian a couple nights after his death during a performance on the Dick Cavett Show in 1969. It seems that, just like many human beings, Brian had several sides to his personality. Unfortunately, many here on this site are choosing to emphasize Brian's 'bad' side. I've never understood why so many Stones fans villify Brian, him being such an important member of the band. Yes he was probably a jerk, but he was a ROLLING STONE. He was a rock star. What do people expect? In many ways, Keith was no different than Brian, yet so many put Keith on a huge pedestal, yet flame Brian. I don't get it.

Date: November 6, 2010 02:56

neptune
MKjan
swiss,

Well, many other rock star contemporaries have said nice things about Brian, including George Harrison, Pete Townshend, Eric Burdon, Jimmy Page, Paul McCartney, and of course Bill Wyman. Jimi Hendrix dedicated a song to Brian a couple nights after his death during a performance on the Dick Cavett Show in 1969. It seems that, just like many human beings, Brian had several sides to his personality. Unfortunately, many here on this site are choosing to emphasize Brian's 'bad' side. I've never understood why so many Stones fans villify Brian, him being such an important member of the band. Yes he was probably a jerk, but he was a ROLLING STONE. He was a rock star. What do people expect? In many ways, Keith was no different than Brian, yet so many put Keith on a huge pedestal, yet flame Brian. I don't get it.

"Rock Star" is perhaps the most meaningless and empty description or aspiration for someone I can think of. Utterly useless. "Musician", yes, but what is a "rock Star"? Someone who is expected to behave like a spoiled child and an egotistical idiot.

Date: November 6, 2010 03:09

71Tele
Edward Twining

Agree. But Keith is just as two-faced about Taylor as he is about Brian, saying many glowing things about his musicianship, but mocking his personality and his lack of achievements after leaving the band (well deserved on that count, in my opinion). He has said Taylor is a "lovely guy" but also that he was too shy, among other things.

He was even so shy that he dared to take the initiative to play almost all solos on stage, some even rather lengthy. It begun when he was 20 years old, during the 69 Tour, on Sympathy For The Devil, and it ended during the 73 Tour, where he played lead and solos like we all know from the Brussels and London boots. Boy, he must have been incredibly shy.

Taylor himself has stated that he wasn't shy at all in the band, that they also had big fights. We all know that he during one of his first interviews as a member of The Rolling Stones said that he liked the Beatles more than the Stones. I mean, maybe Taylor was shy as a person (just like Keith himself), but he wasn't as a musician. Some have called him plainly arrogant and very self-confident when he entered the Stones.

BTW: Taylor playing with Dylan for a couple of years and with countless other famous musicians doesn't make me say that he had "a lack of achievements after leaving the band", let alone to say "well deserved on that count". Though I agree that Taylor had his best years with the Stones. But it's also the other way around. Keith knows that as well but I guess he hasn't written that down. I understand why. We all know that Keith couldn't stand Taylor and Wyman leaving the band. Well, actually I have that in common with Keith, so I understand him very well on that point. But I suppose that Keith has described many people one dimensionally. Not very strange, because that's mostly the way we see other people. Finally: I remember Keith having said that he couldn't understand the enigmatic personality of Taylor but that he felt he connected with him as a person (which is not the same as 'as a musician') during the Exile period in Southern France.

Date: November 6, 2010 03:25

kleermaker
71Tele
Edward Twining

He was even so shy that he dared to take the initiative to play almost all solos on stage, some even rather lengthy. It begun when he was 20 years old, during the 69 Tour, on Sympathy For The Devil, and it ended during the 73 Tour, where he played lead and solos like we all know from the Brussels and London boots. Boy, he must have been incredibly shy.

Taylor himself has stated that he wasn't shy at all in the band, that they also had big fights. We all know that he during one of his first interviews as a member of The Rolling Stones said that he liked the Beatles more than the Stones. I mean, maybe Taylor was shy as a person (just like Keith himself), but he wasn't as a musician. Some have called him plainly arrogant and very self-confident when he entered the Stones.

BTW: Taylor playing with Dylan for a couple of years and with countless other famous musicians doesn't make me say that he had "a lack of achievements after leaving the band", let alone to say "well deserved on that count". Though I agree that Taylor had his best years with the Stones. But it's also the other way around. Keith knows that as well but I guess he hasn't written that down. I understand why. We all know that Keith couldn't stand Taylor and Wyman leaving the band. Well, actually I have that in common with Keith, so I understand him very well on that point. But I suppose that Keith has described many people one dimensionally. Not very strange, because that's mostly the way we see other people. Finally: I remember Keith having said that he couldn't understand the enigmatic personality of Taylor but that he felt he connected with him as a person (which is not the same as 'as a musician') during the Exile period in Southern France.

kleermaker, it's not that I thought Taylor did nothing after the Stones, just that Keith (and I as well) expected much more. You go from the biggest act in the world to playing blues in little clubs? A bit of an underachievement I would say. I know that Taylor made his opinions known inside the band, particularly from '73 on. You can see one interview (clips on YouTube) where it's him, Richards and Jagger, and the other two seem to tense up when Taylor dares offer an opinion. But getting back to the original point, as much as I love and prefer the Stones with Taylor, I have to be objective and say his accomplishments after leaving are a bit disappointing.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: November 6, 2010 03:43

Tips from Keith:
- The blade should be used to play for time only.
_ The shooter to make sure you get your point across sometimes.
The one Keith somehow forgot to mention:
- The very expensive, well connected lawyer should be used to get you out of the legal shit you get into from using the blade and the shooter indiscriminately.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2116
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home