Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 35
Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 22, 2010 19:18

Doxa:

truly I can't find in what I've read so far anything that supports your opinion. Bill's book, now THAT one was bitter. Kieth's words on Mick are worm, never cold. Never misses an occasion to praise him. Save when he is clerly joking (the todger episode) there are no gratuitus attacks at all. Even when Keith writes of an argument where he is extremely sensible - Parson - he tries to see things also from Mick's point of view. I lost the count of the times when he describes himself the one to blame. Besides, there is a chance that sometimes Mick Jagger too did act as an @#$%& so his remarks are well grounded!

C

Posted by: Daffodil ()
Date: November 22, 2010 19:30

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. When skimming through an early November NME, I found an interview with Kelly Jones (of Stereophonics) where he was asked whether he did remember another Stereophonics member's wife (I know, this sounds quite complicated, but we are coming into the matter) being chatted up, with the man in question thinking she was a dancer.Jones's answer:

"It was Mick Jagger.We'd opened for them in Paris. That was a good day, we ate shepherd's pie and had a game of snooker with Keith Richards in his dressing room... Jagger came into the dressing room and said to the (Stereophonics bassist's) wife: 'Are you a dancer?' We said, 'Mick, it's the @#$%& bass player's wife. He said, 'sorry', and carried on chatting up everybody else."

So, even if Keith hasn't been to Mick's dressing room for 20 years, as he so memorably laments in his memoirs, Mick has been to Keith's, at least in 2003 when this Paris gig took place. Though it seems, based on this memoir at least,that nearly everybody somehow connected to the Stones tour spends time in Keith's dressing room...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 22, 2010 20:04

--just caught another mistake - Marlon says the 1976 knebworth gig was played with Zeppelin - (that was 79)- not a huge deal - but a book of this gravity probably had a TON of fact checking and that's an easy fix

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 22, 2010 20:16

Daffodil
Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. When skimming through an early November NME, I found an interview with Kelly Jones (of Stereophonics) where he was asked whether he did remember another Stereophonics member's wife (I know, this sounds quite complicated, but we are coming into the matter) being chatted up, with the man in question thinking she was a dancer.Jones's answer:

"It was Mick Jagger.We'd opened for them in Paris. That was a good day, we ate shepherd's pie and had a game of snooker with Keith Richards in his dressing room... Jagger came into the dressing room and said to the (Stereophonics bassist's) wife: 'Are you a dancer?' We said, 'Mick, it's the @#$%& bass player's wife. He said, 'sorry', and carried on chatting up everybody else."

So, even if Keith hasn't been to Mick's dressing room for 20 years, as he so memorably laments in his memoirs, Mick has been to Keith's, at least in 2003 when this Paris gig took place. Though it seems, based on this memoir at least,that nearly everybody somehow connected to the Stones tour spends time in Keith's dressing room...

Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable - who supported The Rolling Stones on a European tour - was amazed when the band's frontman Sir Mick Jagger warned him he was in trouble for helping himself to a portion of the mashed potato-topped treat before Keith had eaten.

Stuart revealed in his new book Demons and Cocktails: "I whacked several hefty spoonfuls onto my plate. Mick Jagger came in and stopped in his tracks and the pleasantness suddenly left his face, 'Who's eating that?'

"He said, 'Do you know the rules? You never, ever, take the shepherd's pie unless Keith's broken the crust first.' He twirled on his heels and said jokingly, 'Enjoy the show, boys. If there will be a show. I'm not sure if he'll go on after this.' At least I thought it was a joke."

Desperate to avoid a disaster, Stuart was ordered to take the pie back to the canteen to be "recrusted".

He explained: "Luckily, when I got to catering I knew the waitress. She took it back and shook her head slowly and muttered, 'Don't you know the rules?'

But she soon went to work on it and re-laid the potato topping making it as good as new, even if it was a little thinner. Major world disaster averted."

Despite his attempts to conceal the pilfered pie, Stuart was confronted by Keith after the show.

He added: "Later that night we were invited to play pool with them. Suddenly Keith stopped the game in mid-stroke. The lines on his face were more prominent than normal. Then he potted the yellow, placed his cue down and wandered over to me, a joint dangling on the edge of his lips. 'You ate my shepherd's pie, didn't you?' he whispered."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 22, 2010 20:50

proudmary
Daffodil

Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable - who supported The Rolling Stones on a European tour - was amazed when the band's frontman Sir Mick Jagger warned him he was in trouble for helping himself to a portion of the mashed potato-topped treat before Keith had eaten.

Stuart revealed in his new book Demons and Cocktails: "I whacked several hefty spoonfuls onto my plate. Mick Jagger came in and stopped in his tracks and the pleasantness suddenly left his face, 'Who's eating that?'

"He said, 'Do you know the rules? You never, ever, take the shepherd's pie unless Keith's broken the crust first.' He twirled on his heels and said jokingly, 'Enjoy the show, boys. If there will be a show. I'm not sure if he'll go on after this.' At least I thought it was a joke."

Desperate to avoid a disaster, Stuart was ordered to take the pie back to the canteen to be "recrusted".

He explained: "Luckily, when I got to catering I knew the waitress. She took it back and shook her head slowly and muttered, 'Don't you know the rules?'

But she soon went to work on it and re-laid the potato topping making it as good as new, even if it was a little thinner. Major world disaster averted."

Despite his attempts to conceal the pilfered pie, Stuart was confronted by Keith after the show.

He added: "Later that night we were invited to play pool with them. Suddenly Keith stopped the game in mid-stroke. The lines on his face were more prominent than normal. Then he potted the yellow, placed his cue down and wandered over to me, a joint dangling on the edge of his lips. 'You ate my shepherd's pie, didn't you?' he whispered."

"I put that sort of shit about for fun, quite honestly."
(Keith talking about the Shepherds Pie Rules in Life)

Date: November 22, 2010 23:01

LOL!

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 15:20

I'm up to (about) 1970 so far and I think I'm done with it. It just seems to be another brand awareness exercise from Rolling Stones (inc.) to bolster Keith's ridiculous outlaw image and shift a few more tickets for the next tour.

Date: November 24, 2010 03:35

odd - on that great 1972 tour rehearsal shot - "Keith" (ha ha) says Charlie is not visible - but he's clearly there - those junior editorial assistants have to do some homework

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 24, 2010 05:46

I love the line Keith used about Bianca. If she would of had a sense of humour I would of married her. Funny. But Keith dissing on Mick's women and portraying himself as poor uncle Keith whose shoulder they would come crying on is very unncessary IMHO.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:00

with sssoul
hbwriter
there is one thing in the book i take major issue with - to a point where, I'm going to ... i wonder if it jumped out at anyone else

ohhhh i know - i even phoned Keith's people about it, and you should do the same! i mean really eye rolling smiley

>> (piling on the criticisms now i know) <<

yeah, why write at all if you aren't coming up with THE exhaustive encyclopedic work about the band's history -
it's like Keith thinks this is his book or something eye rolling smiley

if keith hijacked a bus full of nuns,caught it on fire and pushed it off of a cliff with sssoul would say:

A.thats just keith being keith
B.maybe the bus full of nuns had it coming
c.hey,less traffic on the freeway

i mean really,this is a guy who turned me on to blues,raggae and early rock and roll. my favorite guitar player and my favorite member of what i think is the best rock and roll band ever and i even end up bashing the hell out of him for saying some of the dumbest,most ridiculous shit.... in the words of tennis great johnny mac-YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS...

Date: November 24, 2010 19:26

lem - agree- just got word - my piece will run next week on aol news - see what you think

i liked the book - but overall, my opinion of this guy went from a ragged, road weary, hapless but soulful rock and roll sage to more of a calculating, hyper-critical, self-absorbed, complain-about-getting-screwed-by-people-but accept-not-one-shred-of-the-hell-you-put-people-through megolomaniac - this book surgically removed all charm surrounding the guy

--as to the nuns hypothetical - I'd add a "d"
--at least it gave him another song idea - after all, most of the ideas were his and as he states, he is the "riff master" (gag)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 19:40 by hbwriter.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 24, 2010 20:21

proudmary

Funny anecdote. "Who's been eating, eating off my plate?! Who will tell me, who'll investigate?!"

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 24, 2010 21:05

lem motlow
with sssoul
hbwriter
there is one thing in the book i take major issue with - to a point where, I'm going to ... i wonder if it jumped out at anyone else

ohhhh i know - i even phoned Keith's people about it, and you should do the same! i mean really eye rolling smiley

>> (piling on the criticisms now i know) <<

yeah, why write at all if you aren't coming up with THE exhaustive encyclopedic work about the band's history -
it's like Keith thinks this is his book or something eye rolling smiley

if keith hijacked a bus full of nuns,caught it on fire and pushed it off of a cliff with sssoul would say:

A.thats just keith being keith
B.maybe the bus full of nuns had it coming
c.hey,less traffic on the freeway

i mean really,this is a guy who turned me on to blues,raggae and early rock and roll. my favorite guitar player and my favorite member of what i think is the best rock and roll band ever and i even end up bashing the hell out of him for saying some of the dumbest,most ridiculous shit.... in the words of tennis great johnny mac-YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS...

Even through my brandy infested mind and body I can tell that is not what dearest with sssoul is doing!

It's Keith's book, it's about his life, his point of view, it's not meant to be a day by day history of The Rolling Stones. I wish it were, but it's not!

thumbs up

Posted by: rnrjoe ()
Date: November 24, 2010 21:39

To anyone who hasn't read ths book yet, I say definitely get it. I agree with many others that its quite vague in details, and skips out on a few interesting stories. However there still is the odd story that adds a fun new insight the average keith fan may not know (such as Keith saluting the Boy Scouts in his hotel room on the A Bigger Bang tour).

There are a few odd things I must point out about Keiths book however.

Early in the book, Keith says how when Brian was getting so out of control, him and Mick started to be very mean to him. He says it started with the "Oh, shut up, Brian" comments. Later in his book he says one of the rudest things about Mick Jagger in the 80's was how Mick would dismiss Keith and simply say, "Oh, shut up Keith". Keith thought that was so incredibly rude. Is that not a work of karma?

Later on he says some people claimed he stole Anita. He said he didn't steal her; he 'rescued her' from Brian, and rescued Brian from himself. Later in the book he says Brian never "forgave me for stealing Anita, and I don't blame him". (Probably not exact quote, but that was the jist of it). Did anyone else find he contradicts himself a fair few times in this book?

I also found it kind of funny when he was talking about Ronnie Wood. He said Ronnie is a completely over the top man, in every extent. I believe that could be true, but the part I couldn't help but chuckle at was when he was talking about Ron's drinking. Keith said, "I'm a bit of a drinker, let's say" and then went on to say how Ron drank tequila for breakfast. a 'bit of a drinker' seems to be a very underestimated statement. It also strikes me how, reading Ronnie Woods book, you can see Ronnie writing so much about how he values Keiths friendship and how Keith is such a brother to him. Not much mention about Ron in that context from Keith at all.

Another person on this thread found it a bit ridiculous how Keith said when he was taking heroin, he did it to help him meditate about the songs (during the Exile and Some Girls era). Keith never really admits or allows himself to admit how much addiction was crippling him.

(*Oh, and I don't quite understand the whole OK Corral stuff he was talking about when shooting out the lights during a drug deal. Did he mean he got the stuff then shot out the lights and drove off? Didn't quite get his paragraph*)

Overall, to people who have not yet read the book, it probably will (maybe for the better, most likely for the worse) change your opinion of Keith. I have no complaints with the book, though I posted those above parts of the book simply as something that puzzled me. After all, it's Keiths book and he can write what he likes. and he did just that.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 24, 2010 22:15

rnrjoe

Later on he says some people claimed he stole Anita. He said he didn't steal her; he 'rescued her' from Brian, and rescued Brian from himself. Later in the book he says Brian never "forgave me for stealing Anita, and I don't blame him". (Probably not exact quote, but that was the jist of it). Did anyone else find he contradicts himself a fair few times in this book?

It appears Keith and Anita fell for one another before the Morocco trip, this in itself is no crime and is very understandable. Brian being ill during the trip to Morocco gifted them the opportunity for the inevitable to happen. Brian being violent in Tangier when he got better sealed the deal.

Keith was aware that Brian was being violent towards Anita for quite awhile and did nothing for most of that while. I think he tries to let himself of the hook here by saying that Anita gave back as good as she got. This rescuing her and the gave as good as she got stuff is just a get out clause for him not stepping in earlier imo.

But hey, they were young and stoned and f**ked things up regularly!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 22:22 by His Majesty.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 24, 2010 23:38

To me, a bit of self-contradiction now and then is the mark of an honest-speaking person, talking from the heart.

I wonder too, if many of us have told or at least thought that someone else should shut up, when we ourselves don't like it said to us. It could also be a matter of degree of intensity and frequency.

That said, it would be interesting to hear what Keith might say about it all.

Date: November 24, 2010 23:55

i will say this - i think that pages 243-244 are worth the entire book - i keep re-reading them and from those words I start to hear the hard-to-describe intangibles - the phantoms that live within the chords and notes these guys put together - the x-factor voodoo or whatever it is that makes the music so satisfying

Posted by: rnrjoe ()
Date: November 25, 2010 05:23

Angee,

agree with your points. You make a good point how the honest speaking person will probably end up contradicting something they said.

On the discussions about Brian, well after all nobody really does know how much of a pain in the ass he may have (or may not have) been. I guess if Keith is still pissed off with him, well hell I've been pissed off at many people consistently too.

Would anybody be able to explain that 'OK Corral Scene' about shooting out the lights? Or 'coming down the stairs and someone takes the stuff off your hands'. Obviously about dealing, but didn't quite catch what he meant. They had someone getting the drugs from him coming down the steps so he didn't get caught?. Thanks.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 25, 2010 11:10

......BIG fanks schillid truely great to watch........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 25, 2010 11:13

Rockman
......BIG fanks schillid truely great to watch........

thumbs up My pleasure

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 25, 2010 12:11

Thanks so much for posting the interview.Was it aired on TV or on line in the USA?smileys with beer

Date: November 25, 2010 14:58

Nothing in this book changed my image of Keith.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 25, 2010 15:55

crawdaddy
Thanks so much for posting the interview.Was it aired on TV or on line in the USA?smileys with beer

Left Shoe Shuffle at RocksOff posted a link to the New York Public Library site (Nov.10th)

[www.nypl.org]

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: November 25, 2010 16:28

my favorite part was the last few paragraphs about keith playing "Malaguena" and Doris coming in from Work, rattling pots and pans and humming along, telling Keith she thought it was the radio, and Keith saying:
"Two bars of Malaguena, and then you're in". That sums everything up about his family's encouragement, love, etc about becoming a guitarist and playing the music that he loves.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 25, 2010 18:36

The Shillid post needs a sticky tag!! It was a great interview and has facilitated a good Thanksgiving... I like the tour announcement at interview ending.

Open up with "The Last Time"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-25 18:37 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: November 25, 2010 21:29

Got the book in MAdrid ayer!!!!!
vaaamossss!!!

carlitos
tenerife

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 26, 2010 02:59

Thanks f0r the interview!

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 26, 2010 06:59

is there a chinese version of life?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 26, 2010 07:01

Is there a version of the book life in chinese

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 26, 2010 11:18

I don't know mandu

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home