Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What if The Rolling Stones had quit in 1972?
Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: September 10, 2010 14:11

I've been on this board for a while, and there's a lot of talk about the "really bad", "way below standard", crappy albums The Stones have made since Exile. Except for the usually mentioned Some Girls.

SO here's a question or two:

1. Would you be better off without Goats head soup, It's only rock'n roll, Black and blue, Undercover, Emotional resque, Tatto you, Dirty work, Voodoo lounge, Bridges to Babylon, A bigger bang? Not to mention the live albums Love your live, Still life, Flashpoint, Stripped, No security, Live licks, Shine a light? Or the dvd's they have released from 72 and onwards?

It's quite unbelievable that all that music, all those albums get hazzled as much as they do here. There's so much good music on those albums, that I would have been more than happy to just have them and nothing else. Of course Sticky, Bleed, Exile, Beggars, Aftermath, Out of our heads and so on are good too, but to hazzle everything past 72 is beond me. I have had som much fun, so many great occations with these albums I could fill hundreds of pages describing them.

The Stones cataloge is simply amazing all the way from 1962 right up till current day. I'm looking forward to a new album soon. Keep'em coming Keith!

Re: What if The Rolling Stones had quit in 1972?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 10, 2010 14:31

They certainly wouldn't have played Europe in 73 and I'd have missed out seeing them at Wembley in Sept of that year.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 10, 2010 14:35

Yes, I don't know. There are later songs I like very much (Love is Strong) but the Stones were so special that for me there's always a touch of sadness that they couldn't stay that way in people's minds forever.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 10, 2010 14:51

Silver Dagger
They certainly wouldn't have played Europe in 73 and I'd have missed out seeing them at Wembley in Sept of that year.

Yeah, and I in October 1973. That would have been disastrous! GHS would have been a fantastic and very appropriate last album. For their place in music history they better had stopped after the European 1973 tour. About a decade of excellent music: studio albums, live performances, at least Ya Ya's and maybe in the end also Brussels 1973 would have make them immortal and their whole legacy timeless.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 10, 2010 14:58

kleermaker
Silver Dagger

Yeah, and I in October 1973. That would have been disastrous! GHS would have been a fantastic and very appropriate last album. For their place in music history they better had stopped after the European 1973 tour. About a decade of excellent music: studio albums, live performances, at least Ya Ya's and maybe in the end also Brussels 1973 would have make them immortal and their whole legacy timeless.

Shhh. Don't say it kleer. You'll be shot down by the Wood fans. I'd include Black and Blue and Some Girls as classics and then leave it at that.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 10, 2010 15:01

what if they had quit in '72 ? we wouldn't have 'Too Much Blood' !

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 10, 2010 15:06

i'd say after the very underrated undercover - a last big tour would have been the right moment to stop!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2010 15:21

kleermaker
Silver Dagger

Don't you like Black Blue and IORR?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-10 15:21 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 10, 2010 15:26

what if they had quit in '72 ?

Most folks woulda just got married 'cause there'd been nothin' else ta do .....
For kicks the out-casts woulda had ta turn to Hawaiian shirts and The Steve Miller Band...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 10, 2010 15:57

Rockman

For kicks the out-casts woulda had ta turn to Hawaiian shirts and The Steve Miller Band...

That's about the size of it.
Some folks around here have argued over recent years that they should have "quit at the top".

I believe that much of waht they've acheived to cement their genuine "legend" status has been acheived over the recent "modern era" and that, with added perspective, history will look more favourably on their later years than many folks do at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-10 15:58 by Spud.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 10, 2010 16:01

I would not be better off, I don't put any stock into the 'tarnished legacy' some people here spout off about, Some albums post exile have been dogs some great but the quality has not been a steady decline, more like a rollercoaster.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 10, 2010 16:08

The real answer should be:What if they had quit in 1983...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 10, 2010 16:09

I think 1972 would be a bit too early as a cut off point...personally, if I had to pick a point to end their career I would opt for Tattoo YOu as the last convincing Stones output (apart from Stripped and that doesn't count). I could live without Steel Wheels, etc...and before you all wade in, yes there have been some decent songs in the period since TY, but for me 1979.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 10, 2010 16:12

They've been getting proposals for a reunion for so much more money than they've ever did continuing their career.

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: September 10, 2010 16:22

It would have saved me at least 20.000 €...

Let it rock!

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: September 10, 2010 16:31

They would have become legends... now they`re just old dudes. Take a look a Robert Plant, he is still keen on discovering new music and imagine how boring it would have been if Led Zep had made ten stadium tours where they played the same songs every night, like our boys did.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 10, 2010 17:02

Then we'd all be thinking about Brian.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 10, 2010 17:18

Strike
They would have become legends... now they`re just old dudes. Take a look a Robert Plant, he is still keen on discovering new music and imagine how boring it would have been if Led Zep had made ten stadium tours where they played the same songs every night, like our boys did.

this is a good point and I agree....but, it's a balance - the stones have a massive back catalogue compared to Zeppelin and so, despite the warhorses, they have been able to chop and change the set lists a bit more and allowed many many more people to see them live. I saw Zeppelin at Knebworth and they were awesome even though I was so far from the stage I ended up watching the screen more than the stage and was still reeling from the New Barbarians being the support. So they were moving towards the huge stadiums and would most likely have followed the same route as the Stones...and at least Zerppelin didn't release a bad album!

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: September 10, 2010 17:23

Spud
Rockman

Some folks around here have argued over recent years that they should have "quit at the top".

I believe that much of waht they've acheived to cement their genuine "legend" status has been acheived over the recent "modern era" and that, with added perspective, history will look more favourably on their later years than many folks do at the moment.

Exactly!

Date: September 10, 2010 17:25

Strike

Did they really? I saw three shows in NY on the Licks Tour, and they gave me like 41 different songs....

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 10, 2010 18:17

crumbling_mice
Strike

and at least Zerppelin didn't release a bad album!

Beg to differ,I thought Presence was a complete bore, and In through the out door was patchy at best(In the evening is brilliant though)

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: September 10, 2010 18:26

What if The Rolling Stones had quit in 1972?

Well, I would have only seen ONE concert. My life would be less exciting. And I wouldn't have been to the rehearsal gigs at RPM,Horseshoe Tavern (I know that wasn't a rehearsal but it was a small venue),Palais Royale & The Phoenix Theatre!

Date: September 10, 2010 19:17

<and at least Zerppelin didn't release a bad album!>

You gotta be kidding! In Through The Out Door is a real stinker...

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 10, 2010 19:22

I would have missed quite a few concerts

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 10, 2010 19:29

This website would be non-existing

Date: September 10, 2010 19:39

Harm
I would have missed quite a few concerts

Would you be better off them or did you enjoy them?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 10, 2010 19:40

Niklas
Spud
Rockman

Exactly!

I agree as well, though I think most of their great music was from the singles years and the 68-72 albums, they have also made great music in the modern era. Time will very favorably reflect this greatness, it can't be denied.

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: September 10, 2010 20:13

what happen to 1972... a singularity?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 10, 2010 20:13

If The Rolling Stones had decided to call it a day in the wake of Exile on Main Street, then I genuinely believe that they would now be held in much higher esteem by the musical historians and critics. They’d be mentioned in the same breath as Dylan and The Beatles – which they aren’t.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 10, 2010 20:22

They'd be much LESS wealthy.

Ronnie Wood would not have an ART career.

Vaults would've opened much earlier.

etc..etc..

oh boy Marty McFly ...now you're messing with the whole TIME SPACE CONTINUUM.

IORR............but I like it!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home