Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: What if The Rolling Stones had quit in 1972?
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 12:41

if the stones would of broken up in 72, there would of been a few yrs of solo albums and then mick and keith would of probably had their own versions of the rolling stones to tour with . novelty touring acts with no original members but them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 12, 2010 13:23

ghostryder13
if the stones would of broken up in 72, there would of been a few yrs of solo albums and then mick and keith would of probably had their own versions of the rolling stones to tour with . novelty touring acts with no original members but them.

That's what I call ghostriding.smiling smiley

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:02

we would have just waited (since exile),40 years for a bigger bang....
but really,
2012 would be a 40 year on reunion concert tour , attend by all living stones members (mick , keith , mick , charlie ,bill )with obligatory greatest hits album with a few new old tracks, possably (from 72 and earlier studio time ) following the river , plundered my soul , and maybe some new tracks that would have been in their minds already like starf u cker , angie ,winter
or even start me up ! (unless they had been used for solo projects)

no change then really (but no ronnie !!)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:35

kleermaker
Silver Dagger
They certainly wouldn't have played Europe in 73 and I'd have missed out seeing them at Wembley in Sept of that year.

Yeah, and I in October 1973. That would have been disastrous! GHS would have been a fantastic and very appropriate last album. For their place in music history they better had stopped after the European 1973 tour. About a decade of excellent music: studio albums, live performances, at least Ya Ya's and maybe in the end also Brussels 1973 would have make them immortal and their whole legacy timeless.

I agree that the ideal story of the Stones just keep on developing and enrichen their sound and not start repeating old ideas, etc would have been from 1962 to 1973 (to the end of European Tour). And the sentimental GOATS HEAD SOAP would have a nice farewell album. An incredible, complete story. Yeah, official BRUSSELLS AFFAIR would have a perfect Coda. That would have been Beatles-like story.

It was IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL when the Stones actually had ran out of fresh ideas and started repaeting themselves. Things turned better with BLACK AND BLUE and SOME GIRLS but the ideal had broken...

But the second best story - my favourite - would have been ended in 1982 after European Tour and STILL LIFE. That includes some downhills - IORR, B&B, 1976 European Tour - but also the chapter of the strong Pathe Marconi-era that enrichens the whole story significally. Good dramatics: after some low times, the band gathers its powers and re-invents its sound and wins again (and leaves the building as winners).

The third best would have been after 1989/90 when the whole band had call it quits with Wyman. It would have made a great triumph to celebrate the whole story with only one Cohlist nostalgic Vegas-tour. And we would have never invented the "Vegas-Era" term...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-14 16:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 14, 2010 16:46

Quittung in 1972? No, that would have been too early for me - I would miss too many great songs and some great tours after that date.

But quitting after Tattoo You and the 1981/82 tours seems a more attractive time frime in respect to their legacy for me.

Hell, one could even consider agreeing with Bill Wyman that after Steel Wheels and those Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle tours in 1989/1990, the Stones had nothing left to add to their legacy anymore, some good tracks on VL, BTB and ABB notwithstanding.

Of course they had still a lot of cash to add to their bank accounts, but thats a different story (and lets face it, THIS was what kept the band alive since then!).

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home