Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie Watts Isolated Drum Track - Gimme Shelter
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:16

Enjoy.

Re: Charlie Watts Isolated Drum Track - Gimme Shelter
Posted by: michel ()
Date: August 20, 2010 11:40

This is so fantasic!!!!!!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:15

Excellent, be nice if some members of the bands around today listened to this and then they might just realise what rock drumming is all about.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:25

crumbling_mice
Excellent, be nice if some members of the bands around today listened to this and then they might just realise what rock drumming is all about.

if a drummer these days would play like this he would get fired or beat detective to death. not only the timing is too off for today but also some fills are stylistically not so nice. he could have done better, today they would edit better takes together.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:34

crumbling_mice

In fact, this is not "rock drumming." The swing and jazz elements and the minimalistic aproach in Charlie's drumming are one of the magical things than make The Stones unique and different from thousands of other bands. Otherwise I aggree that it is excellent :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 21:37 by Happy24.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:56

"if a drummer these days would play like this he would get fired or beat detective to death. not only the timing is too off for today but also some fills are stylistically not so nice. he could have done better, today they would edit better takes together."

and thats the whole problem with drumming as it is today....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 20, 2010 22:13

That's exactly my point...rock drumming is too narrow these days and too clinical, Charlie mixes things up...this is why the stones are what they are, bum notes, timings out etc etc, I take them anyday over @#$%& coldplay et al

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 22:18

crumbling_mice
That's exactly my point...rock drumming is too narrow these days and too clinical, Charlie mixes things up...this is why the stones are what they are, bum notes, timings out etc etc, I take them anyday over @#$%& coldplay et al

i think i forgot to say that i really love charlies drumming in the 60´s and 70´s.

but no major label today would accept that never. the stones don´t even accept that themselfes. listen to anything from the last 20 years.

regarding coldplay. their first record is really great, loose timing. there are also some good songs later. but i think minimum the last two albums are not so good because eno and daniel lanois @#$%& too much with their sound and timing.
it doesn´t even sound like a band anymore, it´s all overdubs and programming.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 22, 2010 03:57

wow i love this. holy moly. it's too cool. steady relentless totally in the groove. i don't hear no steenkin' click track baby. too much. ooh those tom hits and then to the crash ... bang bang boom bam boom CRASSHH well alright....thud thud hit. oh yeh. thud thud thud thud hit. oh yeh. thud thud tom tom crash. alright. just a shot away. ooh that scratching' thing...maracas too? oh yeh. is that a tamb. in there somewhere too? sounds like nickel cymbals. historians???

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: August 22, 2010 06:23

Well I swing like Charlie with my drum playing I learned from the best by listening to and watching videos of Charlie playing and I don't care what anyone says the drumming is superb....

drummer_dude

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 22, 2010 06:40

stoneswashed77
crumbling_mice

if a drummer these days would play like this he would get fired or beat detective to death. not only the timing is too off for today but also some fills are stylistically not so nice. he could have done better, today they would edit better takes together.

Exactly why rock drumming today is so boring and predictable. He couldn't have done "better" at all, except in some weird world where technical exactness trumps feel. Personally I don't want to listen to music from that world. I'm glad we have this instead.

Date: August 22, 2010 07:07

71Tele
stoneswashed77
crumbling_mice

Exactly why rock drumming today is so boring and predictable. He couldn't have done "better" at all, except in some weird world where technical exactness trumps feel. Personally I don't want to listen to music from that world. I'm glad we have this instead.

crumblingmice says "...today THEY (caps mine) would edit better takes together..."

etc...

surely so. who put the engineers in charge of the artists tho?
who put the button pushers into producer chair when they didn't make any of at the pre production meetings or necessarily "GET" what the artists are about and about to put down. i KNOW ur right mice. but just saying...a lotta bloodless crap pop music (including most of the fake rock music) these last hi tech years...
...they miss the heart and soul and of course worship great MOMENTS of PEOPLE PLAYING TOGETHER>>>> the tension, the impact of personalities and sounds and holding it together, reading each other...doin' what it takes to make it work TOGETHER. as this was meant to sound....
...i like the technology, but i will never ever let it get ahead of what the magic is...the magic is what it's ALL about...yes i record w click tracks dammit...everyone wants to be a nasa scientist instead of just STFU and wait and see if someone wants them to push a button...turn something on....a good engineer should know two things chiefly. how to make a good cup of coffee. how to listen (and/or shut up).

Date: August 22, 2010 07:30

Beelyboy
71Tele
stoneswashed77
crumbling_mice

crumblingmice says "...today THEY (caps mine) would edit better takes together..."

etc...

who put the button pushers into producer chair when they didn't make any of at the pre production meetings or necessarily "GET" what the artists are about and about to put down. i KNOW ur right mice. but just saying...a lotta bloodless crap pop music (including most of the fake rock music) these last hi tech years...
...they miss the heart and soul and of course worship great MOMENTS of PEOPLE PLAYING TOGETHER>>>> the tension, the impact of personalities and sounds and holding it together, reading each other...doin' what it takes to make it work TOGETHER. as this was meant to sound....
...i like the technology, but i will never ever let it get ahead of what the magic is...the magic is what it's ALL about...yes i record w click tracks dammit...everyone wants to be a nasa scientist instead of just STFU and wait and see if someone wants them to push a button...turn something on....a good engineer should know two things chiefly. how to make a good cup of coffee. how to listen (and/or shut up).

I hear you, beely! Hey, I record with ProTools (or my producer does, rather), but that is merely the medium. I also use a drum machine sometimes, but I play my own weird fills manually over the drum track rather than program them in. This gives it a human element. The push for studio perfection at the expense of feel has gotten out of hand. I swear, Charlie speeds up a little on GS. So what? You know what else? Ringo would never have made it today because his playing was too strange and off-center. They would have called for a "professional". But the fact that Ringo sat in that chair all those years is what made "I Saw her Standing There" as cool as "I Am The Walrus".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-22 19:52 by 71Tele.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 22, 2010 14:17

Charlie's drumming blends in perfectly with their sound. He is the perfect drummer for the Stones.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2010 14:23

stoneswashed77
crumbling_mice

There is no academic explanation why the Stones sounded that great those days imo.. They just did!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 22, 2010 17:48

71Tele
stoneswashed77
crumbling_mice

yeah...

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: August 22, 2010 18:33

Superb!

Charlie's timing is all over the place but that's one of the ingredients that makes Gimme Shelter so special. That song is pure magic. Rock at it's best.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: August 22, 2010 22:15

That is what i meant... Superb!... The guy is his own click track.. I rarely use a click track..

drummer_dude

Date: August 22, 2010 23:16

Bimmelzerbott
Superb!

Charlie's timing is all over the place but that's one of the ingredients that makes Gimme Shelter so special. That song is pure magic. Rock at it's best.

zactamente bimmelzerbott. it BREATHES like a human body. it's a LIVING thing...the subtle multiplicity and complexity of zillions of nerves triggering muscles...an alive thing in concert with others in the flock, herd, pack, tribe, group, band whatever...making adjustments of every kind as the living thing is ON and so is the tape machine on a track they are trying to nail a taker rhythm bed to build upon. and what a building. a super structure never to be torn down as lng as these sonic movies are still delivered to the blindly disintegrating technological culture...haww. the storm is threatening...it's just a kiss away. let's quantify kissing in a digital context; a mathematical context. sonics are merely intervals in time and frequency vibration. perhaps that's ALL there is to human existence as far as man's puny conciousness can delve....let's mathematically anaylyze the pressure and frequency and duration of the perfect kiss; synthesize it's variables electronically with mathematical exactness so it can be endlessly duplicated!! in perfection!! until...it...means...nothing....at...all....to anyone.........

obviously i'm takin a bit of the piss, as the brits say...kidding around and exagerating cause i'vc had three expressos, but...say if i was making dance music per se. if i had grown up being influenced largely by 80's artist mostly in that genre...(as rock had been THE dance ingredient all over the culture when i was a child into pre teens and long after even...)
but if i was working with someone coming from that sense of aesthetics and intent it would be a gas to make dope beats etc...simplify and build killer killer beats with digital exactitude etc...it would be part of the gas of the whole thing....

...but i'm really essentially coming from from an entirely different genre associations and influences and history of performers and performances...and so are the stones. they were like leaders i looked up to when i was ten or eleven and first heard of them...

and i'm kinda a little experienced at listening to isolated tracks because of exposure in my own work so it wasn't off putting to me at all. i mean i don't think i ever need to hear it again but i really appreciated it, it was a thrill to kinda just BE there with charlie and imagine him looking around at keith for cues and emphases...the other guys on the rhythm track all playing a superior jag/richrd sng. epic.
i once saw/heard the iso youtube of entwhistle on one of the live who tracks. omg.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-22 23:30 by Beelyboy.

Date: August 23, 2010 01:26

When Charlie hits the big THUMPA-THUMPA and Keith plays that little lick, right before Mick starts singing "Ooh, the storm is threatening", the hairs on my arms stand up - even after all these years. Those few seconds are as good as anything ever put on record, imo.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 23, 2010 02:26

I have just enlisted Charlie Watts for my fantasy football team ...just dropped the Sprint thieves....Metro PCS in the house!

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 23, 2010 03:47

Here's Keith Moon isolated, while on this topic...

Date: August 23, 2010 03:54

oh my goodness. keith moon. holy furrgggginggg moly. jeezume crow. good golly miss molly. oooooh.

all fills all the time? not really. listen how solid and ON TOP of the BEAT he always is.... !!!!! tho ALWAYS punctuating BOILING all the time, exploding at will...
recorded so long ago but so well. wow! this is a gift. totally can't think of even what this thread is about this is too awesome....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 23, 2010 18:57

71Tele
When Charlie hits the big THUMPA-THUMPA and Keith plays that little lick, right before Mick starts singing "Ooh, the storm is threatening", the hairs on my arms stand up - even after all these years. Those few seconds are as good as anything ever put on record, imo.

Ditto that ;^)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 23, 2010 19:18

Wow - go Keith!!! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 23, 2010 19:27

Brilliant! A perfect illustration of 'less is more'.

Date: August 23, 2010 19:35

stoneswashed77
crumbling_mice

Charlie plays with Keith. Very few drummers get Keith,with all his syncopated moves back and forth. Charlie does. And it swings!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 23, 2010 19:38

Beelyboy
71Tele
stoneswashed77
crumbling_mice

etc...

Take out the bit about making some coffee, I'd agree with every thing you just said. We are talking about music performed in the studio by people not cyborgs or terminators! Eddie Kramer was and is one of the best recording engineers out there to me. An old school guy that LISTENED to what was being done.

Charlie's drum track is excellent and real. The Swing and Jazz references are dead on target too!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 23, 2010 19:43

Was Glyn Johns the engineer for Gimme Shelter?

Time to look up Sean Egan's making of Let It Bleed book!

Date: August 23, 2010 19:47

Yep: Chief engineer: Glyn Johns

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-23 19:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home