Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697Next
Current Page: 94 of 97
Re: OT WORLD CUP 2010 in South Africa - the IORR thread
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 27, 2010 12:09

Updated Jul 26, 2010 1:36 PM ET
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)
[msn.foxsports.com]

In the aftermath of the Kansas City Wizards' 2-1 win over mighty Manchester United, Coach Peter Vermes tried to be humble. Central defender Jimmy Conrad did not. ''MLS owns the city of Manchester right now,'' crowed Conrad, who was sent off in the 39th minute.

A crowd of 52,342 — largest ever to see a soccer match in Kansas City — watched Davy Arnaud and Kei Kamara score first-half goals, then saw the Wizards fend off repeated shots on goal in the second half as the MLS team handed the Red Devils their first loss in a four-city tour of the United States.

Manchester City lost to the New York Red Bulls earlier Sunday.

United played without several of its biggest stars, though the Wizards were down to 10 men after Conrad was shown a straight red card for a sliding tackle on Dimitar Berbatov.

''It's a great accomplishment for our team, for our organization,'' Vermes said. ''But in the end, it's an exhibition. And what matters most for us is the league, and trying to win an MLS championship. Look, they've played in Champions League finals. We're not there yet. By any means.''

City officials were hoping a big, enthusiastic crowd, drawn partly to get a first glimpse of Arrowhead Stadium following a $375 million makeover, might also boost chances of hosting World Cup games in 2018 or 2022 — if the U.S gets to host.

''Events like tonight's, where we're going to have over 50,000 people in the building for a soccer game, I think will be a big selling point for both FIFA and U.S. Soccer when it comes time to make the decision on which stadium to bring the World Cup to,'' said Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, who lobbied to bring Manchester United to Arrowhead.

With the unexpected win, Hunt and the others got all they wanted and more.
Backup goalkeeper Eric Kronberg replaced Jimmy Nielsen at halftime and made five saves for the Wizards, who have not won an MLS title since 2000 and are 4-8-4 this season.
In the 11th minute, Arnaud beat United's offside trap and took a well-placed through ball from Kamara. Given the one-on-one against backup keeper Ben Amos, Arnaud dribbled into the penalty area and calmly slotted the ball into the lower left corner.

Berbatov equalized from the penalty spot in the 41st minute after Conrad was ejected for a sliding tackle on him.
Replays appeared to show Conrad made contact with the ball before Berbatov went down, but referee Terry Vaughn went straight for the red card and Berbatov converted with a roller into the lower right corner.
''I know I ended up with every piece of the ball,'' Conrad said. ''I know I had to go through him a little bit. I tried to sweep it, but I'd have to see it on replay before I could say with 100 percent certainty.''

Manchester United captain Ryan Giggs said the final score only confirmed what was already evident: that American soccer is on the rise.
''You can see it in the standard of the teams, the standard of the national team, the interest within the crowd and the fans,'' he said.

Kamara put the Wizards up in the 42nd minute. He headed Ryan Smith's corner kick over Amos and off the underside of the crossbar, and the ball landed just over the goal line.
''They're a big, strong team,'' Red Devils coach Sir Alex Ferguson said. ''Athletic. Very powerful. I thought once we scored the goal we'd be all right. Too many of our shots were off target.''

Manchester United's next stop will be a match against the MLS all-stars on Wednesday in Houston.
''The game is improving in the general play of the players,'' Ferguson said. ''Some United States players are doing well in Europe and in England, and that's the best barometer.''

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: July 27, 2010 13:30

Max'sKansasCity
''MLS owns the city of Manchester right now,'' crowed Conrad, who was sent off in the 39th minute.
HA! I don't think many people in Manchester care for (or even know about) these petty friendly matches... This is just a show to the Manchester United players. Of course they play to win, but they won't go to great lenghts to achieve that. They have to take a break sometime during the year, and this is it.

Date: July 28, 2010 04:05

Why pick one line out of entire article, which I included, to be defensive about?

That is called "quoting out of context".
You ignored the quote "Coach Peter Vermes tried to be humble"
you ignored ALL OF THE REST ... you picked one line to have an issue .... interesting.

I posted this to share an article which some may not see and to show the increasing interst of football in my town, not have a problem.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 28, 2010 06:44

The only thing this thread has lacked through 94 pages is a call from the great Andres Cantor.....Let's rectify that right now.

Date: July 28, 2010 09:07

sweetcharmedlife
The only thing this thread has lacked through 94 pages is a call from the great Andres Cantor.....Let's rectify that right now.

NICE .....THANKS ....WE NEEDED THAT.... GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAALLL!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will always be able to tell which clips are from S Africa WC 2010...
Every audio clip has a permanent water mark ....errr .....I mean a permanent "sound mark".
If nothing else....at least we can all agree that no one likes the vulvahorns...
( if I keep saying it ...will it come true? ...like in the newspapers? )

This thread is not over yet.
It still needs a "few more things" before we can
copy/paste/bind/and distribute it in book form.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 09:09 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 28, 2010 12:42

Max'sKansasCity
Why pick one line out of entire article, which I included, to be defensive about?
Because it was such a ridiculous claim that I had no choice but to respond.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 28, 2010 13:11

FreeBird
I had no choice

Of course you had a choice spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 28, 2010 13:43

FreeBird
Max'sKansasCity
Because it was such a ridiculous claim that I had no choice but to respond.

I would have thought that if you wanted to get upitty about
something it would be that Manchester United is American owned.

[www.manutd.com] - see ownership
1) Who owns Manchester United?
The ultimate owners of Manchester United Football
Club Limited are members of the Glazer family.

Malcolm Irving Glazer (born May 25, 1928) is an American businessman and
sports-team owner. He is the president and chief executive officer of First
Allied Corporation. He holds controlling stakes in Manchester United Football Club.

Date: July 28, 2010 13:53

Rolling Hansie

Hi Hansie,
Make sure you know I am not insulting you on the number
of Stones shows thread ...I am just jealous .....you have
had such great opportunity and I am delighted to hear you
have taken advantage to see so many close show ,,,you kick ass..... but of course you do smiling smiley

I always say "Get it while the getting is good".... and you did
GOOD FOR YOU MY FRIEND. 53 shows, that is awesome.

btw- We were at both Njimagen shows together ... back in 1995.....smoking smiley

Date: July 28, 2010 15:14

Max'sKansasCity
I would have thought that if you wanted to get upitty about something it would be that Manchester United is American owned.
No, I don't mind. Glazer paid good money for the club. That's the way capitalism works. I'm not complaining.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 28, 2010 16:21

FreeBird
Max'sKansasCity
I would have thought that if you wanted to get upitty about something it would be that Manchester United is American owned.
No, I don't mind. Glazer paid good money for the club. That's the way capitalism works. I'm not complaining.

I wouldn't call MU a club but a private entertainment company, like all football and other sports 'clubs' that are in fact private property. So supporting such a company in the same way as one did in the days that those clubs weren't private property yet but more or less democratic organisations seems rather odd to me. It's all about the money, not about emotion, recognition, identification, affinity etc. anymore. Those days have gone. All those private sports entertainment companies are basically interchangable and thus the same. Bye bye, clubs.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2010 16:30

Come on guys. Nearly on page 95. Sure we can still make 100. The new season starts soon - sure there's going to be something controversial to talk about that we can relate back to the World Cup.

Date: July 28, 2010 17:20

Silver Dagger
Come on guys. Nearly on page 95. Sure we can still make 100. The new season starts soon - sure there's going to be something controversial to talk about that we can relate back to the World Cup.
oh ..we would never want to juts add fluff just to bust a 100...would we?

hey ...I saw this today ...

GLOBAL NEWS
Maradona leaves Argentina post [soccernet.espn.go.com]
By Soccernet staff
Diego Maradona has left his post as Argentina boss after
a unanimous vote from the Argentine Football Association.

Maradona had been offered a new four-year contract but said he would
only continue on condition that his backroom staff remained. He met
with AFA president Julio Grondona on Monday, but the differences
between the parties could not be resolved.......read more ... [soccernet.espn.go.com]

Date: July 28, 2010 18:08

Max'sKansasCity
Hi Hansie,
Make sure you know I am not insulting you on the number
of Stones shows thread

Don't worry Max. No insult found here on this side.

-------------------

Date: July 28, 2010 18:10

Max'sKansasCity
We were at both Njimagen shows together ... back in 1995

Oh darn, too bad I didn't see you then smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: July 28, 2010 18:11

Silver Dagger
Come on guys. Nearly on page 95. Sure we can still make 100.

I'm trying, I'm trying, now don't rush me, willya LOL

-------------------

Date: July 28, 2010 18:12

Max'sKansasCity
oh ..we would never want to juts add fluff just to bust a 100...would we?

Of course we would LOL

-------------------

Date: July 28, 2010 18:29

Nice compilation of the fouls committed during the final.
Good to see that it weren't just the Dutch who committed the fouls.

-------------------

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:29

o.k., then let me add something statistical: In the overall table of all championships there had been some changes. Naturally, those who tkae part in the Cup go upwards - but some didn't.
# Brazil still leads comfortably. Hard to imagine that they will lose their 3 group matches and Germany becomes new champion in the next Cup (in Brazil, isn't it?)
# Spain passed France and is now 6th
# Netherlands now 8th (passing Sweden)
# Uruguay now 9th up from 12
# great impacts by Ghana (+13),Australia (+8),New Zealand (+13),Slovenia (+9), Greece (+8)
# great loser North Corea from 53 to 59
# only newcomer Slovakia now 53rd among 76 nations

Date: July 28, 2010 18:33

Thanks Mick. Where did you find those statistics ?

-------------------

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:52

Rolling Hansie
Thanks Mick. Where did you find those statistics ?

Actually, I don't remember. I think it was even on the FIFA website or in some kind of supplement for our daily newspaper. And I just added the results during the tournament.
I can mail you the whole list - my e-mail address is under my name.

Funny (or actually strange wpuld be the better word!) about that statistics is the following. Especially after 1990 new countries emerged in Europe but the results of the post-1990 Czech Republic had been added to Czechoslovakia whereas Slovakia is totally new. The same goes for the former Yugoslavian countries. Serbia was added to Yugoslavia, Croatia and Slovenia are new.

Aren't you German, Rolling Hansie?!: There is something funny about Germany vs. England statistics by DFB and The FA. England count one Germany (1900-1940 plus post 1990!) and one West Germany (1950-1990)! DFB doesn't make that difference but has 3 or 4 matches around 1910 that aren't in the English statstics at all! I once mailed the FA about that and they answered me that they don't count as they had sent an "amateur team"!

Date: July 28, 2010 19:15

Rolling Hansie
Nice compilation of the fouls committed during the final.
Good to see that it weren't just the Dutch who committed the fouls.

Well Hansie, you did watch the final yourself I presume?

The unintended but stupid 'karate kick' of De Jong and the acting, diving and the constant asking for a card by the Spanish plus the comments of so many inexperts created a totally wrong image. I must say that I admire Silver Dagger for not joining that ignorant mass of football 'watchers'. On the other hand no surprise at all, because Silver already had shown to be really erudite on football matters. Look at the 'foul' that made the referee decide to give Heitinga a second yellow card, which was not only absolutely ridiculous but also decisive for the match.

Man, it seems I'm still mad about it. Well, I'm actually not.

Silver, I have to correct myself: you rightly asked little Carlos from Tenerife to post some more. Then the 100th page will be there within a wink.

Date: July 28, 2010 19:23

kleermaker
The unintended but stupid 'karate kick' of De Jong and the acting, diving and the constant asking for a card by the Spanish plus the comments of so many inexperts created a totally wrong image.

Why do you think that I posted this video ??? DOH smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: July 28, 2010 19:34

Rolling Hansie
kleermaker
The unintended but stupid 'karate kick' of De Jong and the acting, diving and the constant asking for a card by the Spanish plus the comments of so many inexperts created a totally wrong image.

Why do you think that I posted this video ??? DOH smiling smiley

In retrospect it's quite fascinating and astonishing that so many people had and still have a totally wrong image of that match. It's worth an analysis by someone of the stature of a 'football Doxa' to answer that question.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: July 29, 2010 01:16

If the thing is to reach page 100, then lets go with more controversy...first at all my full and totally support to Ireland team, they should play the world cup at the place of France team.
Also the consideration and totally support to New Zealand team for being the only that didn't lose any match and Switzerland team for being the only ones that beat the world champion team.
Right now in page 94, very near page 100, we may consider to introduce into this thread the possibility to value and ask FIFA to play again the final to convert all the great and ignorant mass of football 'watchers' that still consider match was a bank robbery to dutch players and to FINA to award spanish players with gold, silver and bronze medals in divings.
Do you think it will be allright to ask octopus Paul to review its choice ?
Please also consider that Holland team played the match wearing complete orange suit, when their shorts are normally white, and Spain was wearing blue shirt and not the usual red one.
Finally it's up to you to continue posting different sh#ts in order to reach page 100. I will continue posting at least in everyone of the remaining pages to help and reach page 100...........gentlemen,, World Cup ended last 11th July. It's over.

Date: July 29, 2010 01:31

llargueras

Please also consider that Holland team played the match wearing complete orange suit, when their shorts are normally white

black

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2010 01:47

llargueras
If the thing is to reach page 100, then lets go with more controversy...first at all my full and totally support to Ireland team, they should play the world cup at the place of France team.

Why? They were never ahead in the entire tie. They also benefitted from a similar bad refereeing decision which enabled them to beat Georgia. No one seemed to object to that, strangely enough.

Anyway, not content with taking on the 'Great Satan' (US) and 'The Little Satan' (Israel), Iran's President Ah-my-dinner-jacket has now turned his attention to Paul The Octopus as 'a symbol of all that is wrong with the western world'.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: July 29, 2010 01:59

I'm afraid you are right, kleermaker paint it black!!!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 29, 2010 02:12

Today´s test match Cagliari vs Bastia,finished by the ref 15 minutes before time...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 29, 2010 03:32

Gazza
Anyway, not content with taking on the 'Great Satan' (US) and 'The Little Satan' (Israel), Iran's President Ah-my-dinner-jacket has now turned his attention to Paul The Octopus as 'a symbol of all that is wrong with the western world'.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]
Oh my god, I am laughing my head off! Iran's president has discovered Paul, that is great cabaret. Hopefully Paul does not need bodyguards in the future.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697Next
Current Page: 94 of 97

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home