Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 19
Re: OT - Mississppi Delta Abomination Oil Spill
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 1, 2010 17:50

I hope Billy doesn't keel over from a stroke. He's always on the verge of tears and just simply exploding. He's really really just...he's RUINED. His heart is broken. You can just see it.

He said today on WWL that if he'd known Hayward was there the other day that one of them would be in jail.

Hayward is gonna get it at some point. That guy is such a moron. "No plumes" of oil in the Gulf? By BP's tests? What's that, lowering a flashlight and calling it a video cam? BP is horrendous and Louisiana is scrude.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 2, 2010 17:15

Latest idea for plugging the hole:

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 2, 2010 17:33

Edith Grove

I heard on the breaking news today that they could use a "syphon" because nothing else worked.
They said Gulf coast oil spill is only 9.5 miles away from the Florida coast .
The possibility of criminal prosecution sent BP sliding on the New York Stock Exchange yesterday.Here we go again .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 2, 2010 20:47

SwayStones
Edith Grove

I heard on the breaking news today that they could use a "syphon" because nothing else worked.
The possibility of criminal prosecution sent BP sliding on the New York Stock Exchange yesterday.Here we go again .
Sway the latest plan is to use all the hot air from the republicans to blow the oil away.moody smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: June 2, 2010 23:23

sweetcharmedlife
SwayStones
Edith Grove

Sway the latest plan is to use all the hot air from the republicans to blow the oil away.moody smiley

SCL, there are representatives from both parties in that upside down capitol building.
The implication here is that Washington is failing in it's part in this disaster, not just a certain party.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 2, 2010 23:26

Edith - How are local fishermen coping? And any news on the price of fish in the wider coastal area? Are restaurants putting their prices up?

Date: June 2, 2010 23:58

Silver Dagger
Edith - How are local fishermen coping? And any news on the price of fish in the wider coastal area? Are restaurants putting their prices up?

Last I heard is that 1/3 of the coastal fishing areas are closed.
So far, I haven't heard of any price increases or seafood shortages.

Most of the seafood suppliers started stocking up as soon as the crisis began, so I'm thinking it really depends on how long this oil leak continues.
The sooner they get it capped, the better the chances for the seafood industry.

Date: June 3, 2010 00:03

Edith, there was a guy on WWL this morning from Venice, I believe, talking about businesses dropping seafood items outright on their menus because prices have skyrocketed. I've heard about some places where shrimp has gone up a dollar for poboys. I guess it all depends on where they're getting it from - here, Mississippi or Alabama, various ponds or unfortunately China.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 3, 2010 02:50

[www.csmonitor.com]

[www.myfoxphoenix.com]

[www.washingtonpost.com]

"...what have we done to the earth
what have we done to our fair sister
ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn
tied her with her fences and dragged her down..."

jim morrison

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 3, 2010 02:55

Date: June 4, 2010 00:57

Here's another consequence of this disaster:

Donated pet food on way to help oil spill-impacted coastal Louisiana residents care for their animals
By The Times-Picayune
June 03, 2010, 3:18PM

A truck loaded with donated dog and cat food is scheduled to arrive in Belle Chasse this afternoon to help coastal Louisiana pet owners struggling with economic hardship due to the Gulf oil spill, the Humane Society of the United States said.

The animal group coordinated the donation of 12 tons of dog and cat food from Mars Petcare U.S. and a third of a ton of dog food from The Humane Choice Company, the news release said.

The food will be turned over to Plaquemines Parish's Department of Health and Animal Control, where staff members and volunteers will distrbute it to residents in areas of coastal Louisiana affected by the BP spill.

"The Humane Society of the United States was saddened to hear that animals inland from the shoreline are also suffering from this disaster," said Julia Breaux, the Humane Society's Louisiana director. She said the donated food would help pet owners continue caring for their animals rather than have to give them up.

Breaux said she got word from Susan Sampey of the Plaquemines Parish Animal Welfare Society that there had been an increase of owners giving their animals to area shelters because of economic hardship related to the oil spill.

In the news release, Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said the donation would be a big help to area residents suffering economic hardship due to the oil spill.

[www.nola.com]

Date: June 4, 2010 05:46

Where the oil could go:

[www2.ucar.edu]

Date: June 4, 2010 06:03

Here you go. If you have any need to think about considering why BP should be allowed to continue with their ways, look at these pictures:

Here's one, the link is below:

[www.boston.com]

Date: June 4, 2010 06:09

As sad as it is to see oily birds. Seeing hardened old fisherman reduced to tears because the livelihood they have known all of their lives has been taken away is even more heartbreaking....Not a single flippin good thing about this. I don't kow how the execs at BP sleep at night.

Date: June 4, 2010 06:24

The @#$%& deep hearted sad thing about those pictures is that is just those birds. There are, I'm guessing, quite a few thousand that are like that. And the pelicans just got removed from the endangered species list, what, last year? I can't remember but it is very recent. Last year or in 2008 maybe.

Plus all the other birds and just EVERYTHING. I read somewhere - I can't find it now - that Hayward was eating shrimp with that Allen @#$%& today down in Venice or somewhere.

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: June 4, 2010 06:28

OK, it was in New Orleans from what I can gather. Thad Allen and Tony Hayward were having dinner together at Eleven 79 on Tuesday. And guess what Hayward was eating?

Gulf Shrimp & Pasta.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: June 4, 2010 13:40

skipstone
The @#$%& deep hearted sad thing about those pictures is that is just those birds. There are, I'm guessing, quite a few thousand that are like that. And the pelicans just got removed from the endangered species list, what, last year? I can't remember but it is very recent. Last year or in 2008 maybe.

Plus all the other birds and just EVERYTHING. I read somewhere - I can't find it now - that Hayward was eating shrimp with that Allen @#$%& today down in Venice or somewhere.

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bird you are referring to is the Brown Pelican. Very sad.

Oily bird photos

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-04 13:43 by misterfrias.

Date: June 4, 2010 14:22

I just read this on the first page of the New York Times ' today edition .I couldn't belive my eyes .

Best bet to fix oil leak in Gulf ?
Nuke the spill .eye popping smiley

[www.nytimes.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: June 4, 2010 17:46

Did you read the one about BP having another torrent to deal with? Hayward's stupid mouth!

This is the best line of the entire article: "Mr. Hayward promised to refocus the company culture on safety."

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: June 4, 2010 18:58

skipstone
Did you read the one about BP having another torrent to deal with? Hayward's stupid mouth!

This is the best line of the entire article: "Mr. Hayward promised to refocus the company culture on safety."

[www.nytimes.com]

Oh yes I did ,because the article was on the 1st page of my link if I am not mistaken .

From what I hear from the French TV -our broadcasts news can be so untrue sometimes sad smiley - is that BP really don't know what to do to stop the oil drill .
Simple as that .

Date: June 4, 2010 19:01

skipstone
OK, it was in New Orleans from what I can gather. Thad Allen and Tony Hayward were having dinner together at Eleven 79 on Tuesday. And guess what Hayward was eating?

Gulf Shrimp & Pasta.
Did Hayward pick up the check?

Posted by: twenny revlights ()
Date: June 4, 2010 20:23

A bit strange how the "Following the River" video, a song ultimately
about death, ends with a shot of the Gulf of Mexico looking all red.

Date: June 4, 2010 20:32

That wasn't said Sweetcharmedlife. One would hope so heh heh.

Date: June 4, 2010 23:22

All 12 of the ROV camera angles. It seems no matter how many ways they look at it BP isn't stopping the oil:

[www.wwl.com]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 5, 2010 05:03

The spill is tragic and its no more Obama's fault than Katrina was Bush's. These are tragic events that the US is woefully unprepared for. Hopefully the oil people will come up with something to stop it and stop worrying about profits. One thing we don't need is the government to regulate it then it will be worse.

Date: June 6, 2010 15:10

Meet Ro Mayer, the founder of the Krewe of Dead Pelicans
By Doug MacCash, The Times-Picayune
June 05, 2010, 5:00AM
Chris Granger / The Times-Picayune

Ro Mayer, a local artist, costumer and real estate agent, finds herself in the unlikely role of radical after using Facebook to organize the Krewe of Dead Pelicans, an informal, Carnival-style krewe that tonight will protest the BP oil spill. Mayer’s sculpture of a cracked earth seems to underscore her concern for the environment.
An unlikely radical hopes for an impressive turnout Saturday for an impromptu oil spill protest

A New Orleans real estate agent and costume-maker hopes to provide her fellow New Orleanians with a Crescent City-style catharsis as the second unimaginable manmade catastrophe in five years seizes the region. Using nothing more than an Internet social networking site, she’s invited all comers to protest the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill by joining a Carnival-style krewe and gathering for a symbolic funeral parade Saturday (June 5) at 5:30.

Ro Mayer is a happily married 57-year-old real estate agent who lives on a picturesque oak-lined Uptown street. By her own account, she’s not the street protest type — at least not in the past. Mayer spent most of May simmering with anxiety as the unparalleled ecological disaster unfolded day by day on the front page of the newspaper. She said her sense of helplessness was familiar.

“It made me feel like Katrina,” Mayer said recently as she sat on her breezy front porch, the sounds of bird calls and wind chimes filling the spring air. “This is happening. The thing is out there in the Gulf circulating and we don’t have any power. We’re not even able to go anywhere to get out of the way. Nobody appears to be doing anything about it, and I don’t have the power to do anything about it, and I don’t know anyone who’s stepping up, saying they have the power to do anything about it.”

Chris Granger / The Times-Picayune
Ro Mayer, founder of the Krewe of Dead Pelicans

Mayer said that as a Realtor, she fears the cascading effect a disaster such as the BP oil spill can have on a regional economy.

“A lot of people, they’ve gone and made mortgages, rebuilt their businesses; they’ve borrowed to the hilt. They believe in this city. They believe in this area. They wanted to come back, and now, to what?”

“I’m not Bruce Willis,” Mayer said. So she was not able to dive to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico in a submarine like a Hollywood action hero and single-handedly staunch the geyser of crude oil erupting from the damaged well head, she explained dryly.

The truth is, she said, there really was nothing she could do.

But she had to do something anyway.

“I just needed a place to channel my frustration,” she said, “and I felt like, ‘If I feel that way, other people must feel that way.’ ”

To vent her irritation, she shifted to her creative side. Mayer, who grew up in Crowley and moved to New Orleans in 1974, studied fine art in college and has practiced her skills ever since as a watercolorist, collage maker, and, most recently, by designing elaborate Mardi Gras costumes. Splendidly adorned as Marie Antoinette, Mayer appeared in a 2006 Times-Picayune Carnival photo spread.

So it’s not surprising perhaps that the oil spill protest she envisioned would take the form of a costumed Crescent City street procession held in the arts district.

Once the idea struck, Mayer said, everything moved quickly. Late on May 22, she created a Facebook page inviting readers to join the Krewe of Dead Pelicans — she chose the state bird as a symbol because it once was threatened, had bounced back and now is threatened again. Krewe members will gather on Julia Street amid the art galleries during the already scheduled First Saturday Art Walk block party tonight from 6 to 9. By May 26, an astonishing 3,000 Facebook members had added the Krewe of Dead Pelicans to their lists of online friends.

VIDEO: [tribeca.vidavee.com]

“I threw it up on the Facebook wall, and it stuck,” Mayer said.

Mayer’s Facebook page describes a do-it-yourself costume, consisting of black pants and blue shirts or blouses, meant to represent the unfortunate mixing of oil and ocean, plus a blue umbrella blotted with black paint. Mayer suggests that a plush toy pelican ride atop each umbrella.

“Shrimp boots will be worn,” she said.

Mayer said she plans to include a cardboard coffin in the parade, with an effigy occupant representing the Gulf of Mexico. She’s heard that other krewe members plan to parade in pelican skeleton costumes.

Mayer said that a week after the original Facebook posting, 400 people had confirmed that they plan to attend the event. She hopes to arrive at what she calls a “critical mass” of those critical of the BP ecological disaster.

“We will either proceed or we won’t,” she said of the parade. “It just depends on what the reaction is and how many people show up.”

Gallery director Zack Smith, who has volunteered his Canary Gallery on Julia Street as a Krewe of Dead Pelicans headquarters before tonight’s parade, said he discovered the loose-knit organization on Facebook. The parade, he believes, offers a creative antidote to the anger so many residents of the region are feeling.

“In Katrina,” Smith said, “you could pick up a chain saw and cut a tree or drag a refrigerator out of a house.”

But during this disaster there’s no way to lend a hand, he said, so people’s energies are being wasted. The parade might provide a welcome outlet. Instead of just being outraged, “Dead Pelicans incorporated art and positive energy,” Smith said.

Loyola University professor Cynthia Garza said that she and five friends are finishing a set of papier-mâché pelican heads for Saturday’s procession. Like Smith, Garza said she was having trouble channeling her frustration until she spotted KoDP on Facebook. The parade, she said, will give her and her friends an opportunity to “pay homage to the pelican and make a statement about what’s being lost.”

Mayer points out that although she has put herself at the forefront of a public protest, she still isn’t particularly radical in her point of view. Far from it.

“I’m a comfortable, middle-class American, used to my cars and my oil,” she said. “I think we need our oil. But we need to see it better regulated.”

Mayer, who refers to herself as the “Miss Manners” of political action, said she has no use for any sort of confrontation.

“I’m not interested in being ugly or angry,” she said. “But I couldn’t not say something. I couldn’t not say it once I thought of it. I stuck my neck out. Remember, I was Marie Antoinette.”

THE KREWE OF DEAD PELICANS

What: An informal Carnival-style krewe, open to all, protests the BP oil spill during the First Saturday Art Walk on Julia Street.
Where: Meet at Canary Gallery, 329 Julia St.
When: Saturday (June 5), 5:30 p.m.
Recommended costumes: Black pants and blue shirts or blouses, plus shrimp boots and a blue umbrella blotted with black paint. Organizer Ro Mayer suggests that a plush toy pelican ride atop each umbrella.

VIDEO: [tribeca.vidavee.com]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 6, 2010 16:40

slew
The spill is tragic and its no more Obama's fault than Katrina was Bush's. These are tragic events that the US is woefully unprepared for. Hopefully the oil people will come up with something to stop it and stop worrying about profits. One thing we don't need is the government to regulate it then it will be worse.

Well put Slew.

Date: June 6, 2010 18:31

slew
I must have missed the point when Obama drilled the well. I certainly didn't miss watching George Bush ignore New Orleans and it's people....Oh BTW.No politics on IORR. At least not stupid politcs anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 18:55 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 6, 2010 18:42

sweetcharmedlife
slew
I must have missed the point when Obama driloeld the well. I certainly didn't miss watching George Bush ignore New Orleans and it's people....Oh BTW.No politics on IORR. At least not stupid politcs anyway.

Is it your job to just p*ss people off?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: June 6, 2010 18:49

Let's face it...like everything else important in the world, we really don't care enough to do anything about it. We'll all spend thousands of dollars/euros/whatever on Stones tickets...but we'll donate maybe $20 to Greenpeace/NRDC/Sierra Club/etc. We won't spend thousands to reduce our energy/water uses. We're all talk...all of us.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home