Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 19
Re: OT - Mississppi Delta Abomination Oil Spill
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:03

Listening to Obama on WWL.

However, when he flew by the beach of Grand Isle someone bussed in a bunch of people wearing red and blue clothes with haz mat suits on, helicopter goes flying by with the prez in it, he "sees" a bunch of people "working" on the clean up of the beach, helicopter flies away, they take their suits off and get back on the bus.

So it was a staged clean up.

The hell is that all about? Who did it? Is BP the new 'el pulpo' that United Fruit used to be?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:12

skipstone..Im sure ya President doing everything he can..hes not very happy about things either.

Date: May 28, 2010 22:15

I know he can't stop the oil, I know he can't fire BP.

But I would love to know why there was a fake beach clean up for him to fly over.

The treating Louisiana like a piece of shit continues.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:28

skipstone..yea.. I feel sorry for all ya wildlife and everyone who is affected by it..yea that pretend clean up..a bit usual.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:54

colonial
skipstone..yea.. I feel sorry for all ya wildlife and everyone who is affected by it..yea that pretend clean up..a bit usual.

Hmmm... Typo or astute observation?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:57

>>If I'm not mistaken, could I read your question as: "How come all of the sudden, people realize how dangerous drilling for oil can be?"<<

Well ,it might be a "Freudian slip " lapsus révélateur....
I meant " All of a sudden "

>>If so, I think an answer, from me anyway, would be: We've always known. <<

Go ahead ,please ....
Who /what do you mean by :"we" ??
btw,Mr Dj, do you still work in Tennessee ? Are you an American citizen ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 28, 2010 22:59

skipstone
However, when he flew by the beach of Grand Isle someone bussed in a bunch of people wearing red and blue clothes with haz mat suits on, helicopter goes flying by with the prez in it, he "sees" a bunch of people "working" on the clean up of the beach, helicopter flies away, they take their suits off and get back on the bus.

Were the teleprompters in view?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 28, 2010 23:24

SwayStones
>>If I'm not mistaken, could I read your question as: "How come all of the sudden, people realize how dangerous drilling for oil can be?"<<

Go ahead ,please ....

Since your question came right after a declaration of your feelings towards the people of the USA, I kind of assumed you were refering to people in the US just figuring out how dangerous drilling for oil can be.

The "we" in my reply was meant to imply those same people in the USA. I know I can't actually speek for all of the USA any more than anyone else can, but it would surprise me if anyone anywhere didn't realize that there are dangers in drilling for oil.

Still working here in Knoxville, TN, USA (I get to leave in 44 minutes... not that I'm counting or anything!!) and, yes, I am a citizen. Also a voter & taxpayer.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 29, 2010 00:47

BP is behind the staged clean up. It's not like they need any help in looking any worse. So they decided to go ahead and look even worse than they are already.

Heads need to start rolling.

[www.nola.com]

Date: May 29, 2010 03:33

Northshore - here's another thing about why the Feds can't just take over:

"Oil company BP, which was operating the rig, is responsible for the cost of the clean up and containment efforts under the 1990 Oil Pollution Act. Mr. Obama also said yesterday that BP is handling the containment efforts because its technology is superior to the government's for this kind of operation."

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: May 29, 2010 04:12

skipstone
Listening to Obama on WWL.

The hell is that all about? Who did it? Is BP the new 'el pulpo' that United Fruit used to be?

You have a link for this "staged clean up" rumor???

Date: May 29, 2010 05:02

dancingmisterd

It's only a couple of posts up this page, but to make it easier for you:

BP buses cleanup crews to Grand Isle for Obama's visit, councilman says
By Richard Rainey, The Times-Picayune
May 28, 2010, 4:19PM

David Grunfeld / The Times-Picayune
Oil cleanup workers line Louisiana 1 in Grand Isle on Friday as the motorcade of President Barack Obama passes.

BP, the oil company taking flak for its inconsistent response to the massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico, bused in 400 extra cleanup workers to Grand Isle during President Obama's visit today, Jefferson Parish Council Chairman John Young said.
"It appears to have been a PR stunt by BP, not to say we don't appreciate the extra participation," Young said. "We certainly need them, but we don't need them for just one day that happens to coincide with a visit from the president."

Obama made his second visit today to Louisiana's oil-stricken coast, stopping in Grand Isle and Port Fourchon.

Young said he saw the workers dressed in red shirts, blue jeans and black shrimp boots mulling across the beaches and in the mess hall during the president's appearance. They were uniformed in a way "which you don't normally see workers dressed like that," Young said.

After Obama's departure, Young said, the work crews all but vanished.

"This is a total shame that a mockery has been made of this visit by the executives of BP," Councilman Chris Roberts said.

"What we want to make clear (is) if they're going to send them, then send them everyday, not just on the day of the president's visit," Councilman Tom Capella said.

BP spokesman Mike Abendhoff denied it was done solely for publicity.
"Obviously, it's unfortunate that that's what people are thinking," Abendhoff said. "We're not sending people for PR stunts.We're sending people to clean up this oil."

Abendhoff said the additional workers are part of BP's efforts gradually to increase its presence on Louisiana beaches to meet the incoming oil. "We've continued to add resources every day," he said.
Donald Nalty, the chief operating officer of Environment, Safety, Health, Inc., the subcontractor that hired the workers, said Friday that the additional force in Grand Isle and Fourchon was part of a ramping up that will likely continue. He said the decision to bring on the additional workers was made May 23, before the president's visit was announced.
Nalty said 300 workers had been cleaning Grand Isle and 150 cleaning Fourchon. On Friday 400 additional workers were added in Grand Isle and an additional 100 to Fourchon, Nalty said.
"It had nothing to do with the president coming to town,'' Nalty said. "It was 100-percent coincidental. All the allegations to the contrary are false.''
Young stopped short of saying Jefferson Parish officials were frustrated with BP's response to a disaster that has affected more than 100 miles of coastline. But he noted that parish officials commandeered idle BP-hired vessels last week to begin skimming oil that had traveled into Barataria Bay.

He said there appears to be a disconnect between the oil company and the Coast Guard, which is in charge of the response effort.

"I would compare BP today to FEMA after Katrina," Young said, recalling the halting response of the federal emergency agency in the days following the 2005 hurricane.

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 29, 2010 05:05

Edith, how's this disaster going to affect seafood/fish prices in Crescent City and generally aross the south coast?

Date: May 29, 2010 05:12

Silver Dagger
Edith, how's this disaster going to affect seafood/fish prices in Crescent City and generally aross the south coast?

I hate to speculate on that, quite honestly.
I suppose conventional wisdom would say prices are going up since supply might be going down.

Some, but not all of the fishing areas have been closed, and some that were once closed have been reopened.

At this point, I think it's still a "wait & see" situation in regards to fishing in general along the coast.

Date: May 29, 2010 05:15

Well, you don't see this very often.

A front page editorial addressed to Mr. Obama from the Times-Picayune of New Orleans: [www.newseum.org]

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: May 29, 2010 05:43

Edith Grove
dancingmisterd

It's only a couple of posts up this page, but to make it easier for you:

BP buses cleanup crews to Grand Isle for Obama's visit, councilman says
By Richard Rainey, The Times-Picayune
May 28, 2010, 4:19PM

(Bulk of message deleted)

Thanks for this post, Edith Grove. This is incredible! I have no idea as to why I didn't hear about this stunt before.

I hope you and your fellow Louisiana residents are holding up. A lot seems to be riding on this Top Kill. I was listening to NPR earlier today and it said that if the Top Kill doesn't stop the oil, it will all be on the backup relief wells, which won't be in operation until August at the earliest.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 16:59 by misterfrias.

Date: May 30, 2010 01:20

CNN reporting now that the "top kill" method of plugging the leaking well has failed and will look for another approach.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 30, 2010 01:54

ROBERT, La. – BP has failed in its latest attempt to plug the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico with mud and cement, the company said Saturday.

BP Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles said the company determined the "top kill" method had failed after studying it for three days. The method involved pumping heavy drilling mud into a crippled well 5,000 feet underwater.

"We have not been able to stop the flow," Suttles said. "We have made the decision to move onto the next option."

It was the latest setback for the company trying to stop the crude from further fouling waters, wildlife and marshland. Other attempts included a gigantic box placed over the leak and a tube inserted to siphon the oil away. The box failed after ice-like crystals clogged it, while the tube was removed to make way for the top kill after it sucked up more than 900,000 gallons of oil.

The spill is the worst in U.S. history and has dumped between 18 million and 40 million gallons into the Gulf, according to government estimates.

BP says it's already preparing for the next attempt to stop the leak. Under the new plan, BP would use robot submarines to cut off the damaged riser from which the oil is leaking, and then try to cap it with a containment valve. The new attempt would take four days to complete.

"We're confident the job will work but obviously we can't guarantee success," Suttles said of the new plan.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 30, 2010 03:18

[blogs.wsj.com]

The Legal Rights of Oil Spill’s Animal Victims

[www.washingtonpost.com]

animal victims

[www.timesonline.co.uk]

BP used cheaper casing on oil well to save money, Congress papers show

Posted by: Altefutze ()
Date: May 30, 2010 05:05

There will be no sign of the spill in a thousand years. The earth takes care of itself. No matter what the radical conservationists say.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 30, 2010 05:52

Altefutze
There will be no sign of the spill in a thousand years. The earth takes care of itself. No matter what the radical conservationists say.

Well, no worries then!

Problem solved...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 30, 2010 09:26

Altefutze
What do we for the next 999 years?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 30, 2010 12:46

[news.bbc.co.uk]

When will this sorry saga end ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: May 30, 2010 12:46

mr_dja
SwayStones

Go ahead ,please ....

Since your question came right after a declaration of your feelings towards the people of the USA, I kind of assumed you were refering to people in the US just figuring out how dangerous drilling for oil can be.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes,that's what I meant .smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 30, 2010 15:24

skipstone
BP is behind the staged clean up. It's not like they need any help in looking any worse. So they decided to go ahead and look even worse than they are already.

Heads need to start rolling.

[www.nola.com]

Clean up efforts have all been for show. Guys wearing bio-hazard suits, daubing at the oil with paper towels. Passed a BP station the other day and couldn't believe there were three or four people gassing up. Why ANYONE would EVER gas up at BP again is beyond me.

Date: May 30, 2010 17:40

The price for shrimp has gone up a dollar, if not more, in some places. Not sure about oysters. At some point neither will be available except from outside areas, hopefully Alabama and not Taiwan or some horrendous place like that.

No BP for me ever again. They've done more than enough with their constant failures.

Date: May 30, 2010 19:10

I saw the news today on the TV,when BP said they couldn't make it .
Some people from Louisiana were interviewed and they said the fishermen weren't able to go fishing .
I am so sorry that it gets really bad .I don't understand why BP seems to be in a fog.
Does anyone has an explanation why BP seems so helpless & powerless ....confused smiley

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 31, 2010 08:03

So you cut all the tall trees down,
you poisoned the sky and the sea
You've taken what's good from the ground
But you've left precious little for me
You remember the flood and the fall,
we remember the light on the hill
There should be enough for us all,
but the dollar is driving us still

River runs red, black rain falls, dust in my hand
River runs red, black rain falls, on my bleeding land

So we came and we conquered and found
Riches of commons and kings
Who strangled and wrestled the ground
But they never put back anything

Now I'm trapped like a dog in a cage
Wherever the truth is pursued
It must be the curse of the age
What's taken is never renewed

(Hirst/Moginie)
River Runs red, Midnight Oil

Date: May 31, 2010 10:48

Beelyboy

So you cut all the tall trees down,
you poisoned the sky and the sea
You've taken what's good from the ground
But you've left precious little for me
You remember the flood and the fall,
we remember the light on the hill
There should be enough for us all,
but the dollar is driving us still

River runs red, black rain falls, dust in my hand
River runs red, black rain falls, on my bleeding land

So we came and we conquered and found
Riches of commons and kings
Who strangled and wrestled the ground
But they never put back anything

Now I'm trapped like a dog in a cage
Wherever the truth is pursued
It must be the curse of the age
What's taken is never renewed

(Hirst/Moginie)
River Runs red, Midnight Oil

beelyboy, I remember a thread of mine about another Australian band ,is Peter Garett still on politics ?

Date: May 31, 2010 16:52

Billy Nungesser, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana President, speaks his mind:

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home