Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 19
Re: OT - Mississppi Delta Abomination Oil Spill
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 14, 2010 00:43

BP's latest idea for cleaning this mess:

Date: May 14, 2010 04:39

OK, no joke with this video.

Whether or not this is actually workable, these two country boys have come up with something!

Check this out: [www.wimp.com]

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 14, 2010 05:47

"criminal negligence....manslaughter...."
????

asks US Congress acc: NBC NEWS clip here:

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

"four known problems with blow out preventer.... shears could not cut thru joints, which makes ten percent of the pipe...the failsafe would only succeed 90 per cent of the time...but a fail safe to the fail safe also failed.

WHY??????

because someone didn't change the battery. leak in blowout prevention...
that blowout PREVENTER was sold with two hundred and sixty possible failure modes....!!!!"

"they knowingly bought faulty safety equipment...."

interesting clip...."what legal terms should we be ascribing...??? " asks the narrator.....

"supposedly fail safe for a spill fifty times this one..."

"....short changed safety procedures.... complacency lead to disaster....still out of control without any real guarantee that BP has a plan that's able to stop it..."

"possible manslaughter charges?" is asked...
this is a criminal investigation.

"companies trying to shed responsibility..."

"NOT PROPER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS"

interesting clip....

"Justice Department likely to file criminal charges..." they continue...
!
meanwhile, carnage at sea; coming to shore.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: May 14, 2010 05:59

kovach
Angus MacBagpipe
Well, the end of cheap oil is coming soon.

I think you're about 8 years late on that.

Cheap oil is a relative term.

Today's prices will look ridiculously cheap in the next couple of decades. That's the main reason we waste so much now. We, or our kids, will all wonder how we could have ruined our environment and thrown so much of our energy sources away while leaving nothing for future generations.

"Why Your World is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller" by Jeff Rubin is a good place to start to understand this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-14 06:00 by Angus MacBagpipe.

Date: May 14, 2010 23:00

[www.chron.com]

OIL SPILL THREATENS BIRDS THROUGHOUT THE GULF.

the tragedy that continues, and escalates...
still bleeding poison into the sea by the millions of gallons...
the carnage is unbelievable. it will all come to light in time.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 15, 2010 15:36

Yeah, bleeding an estimated 210,000 gallons now, the equivalent of the Exxon Valdez every six days...it's been since April 20th.

I smelled it really bad yesterday. It really makes me want to go blow up BP gas stations. I know that's not the answer but it fits into their "thinking" as well as having shoddy equipment.

Date: May 18, 2010 14:01

Some interesting ideas for containing the spill: [www.colbertnation.com]

Date: May 18, 2010 17:17

BP is digging their well of a bad reputation deeper and deeper every SECOND. I hope they go out of business, I hope they have to pay the most money ever by anyone for this kind of thing and I really hope the people involved with the lying and lack of action and lack of a back up are used to clog the well.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:53

I'm self employed and work in a particular field of oil/gas exploration. Among countless other oil companies I've worked for over the years, is BP. All these big players (BP, Shell, Exxon etc) have one thing in common, they simply don't practice what they preach. They're hypocritical and full of s**t. And generally, management doesn't take criticism of its decisions very well, not from within the ranks of the company, and certainly not from sub-contractors. So will anything be learned from the present disaster ? I'm not being unduly sceptical in thinking that probably not. The only thing that might possibly actually prompt a lesson of some sort being learnt is the sheer scale of the calamity. But hell, what a price to pay. All in all, it's sickening.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: May 21, 2010 17:34

Brand new song dedicated to the major players in the Gulf oil spill !

Available in HD !

Date: May 21, 2010 18:13

Meanwhile BP is still thinking...and thinking....and thinking......and thinking....

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:22

dcba
"It's like this and this is the way it is."

Amen! So we're supposed to cross our arms and do nothing, pretending it's an act of God?

Of course not but emotional, knee-jerk responses are hardly the answer.

Date: May 21, 2010 18:38

The answer is to THINK. Er, the BP people that is. See how it gets things done? It's fantastic.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:44

Edith Grove
Brand new song dedicated to the major players in the Gulf oil spill !

Available in HD !

Wasn't Allen Toussaint another participating ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: May 21, 2010 18:53

Do you think BP is the only one to be held responsible for what happened in the Gulf of Mexico ?
Most of us use petroleum/oil nowadays and everybody should know it's a dangerous substance that can be very bad for environment.

So I just wanted to ask -it seems no one mentioned this on the thread but I could be mistaken -what about the federal government's responsability ?
As far as I know -but it might depends on the countries , I really don't know what are the rules in the U.S and I am may be wildly off the mark ...- the owner of the "sea area" where the oil drills take place is the government,not BP .
Or was the "sea area" leased to a private investor or BP ?
Does the "government" make inspections to see if the place is safe ?
What about the NEPA ?
I think it's not just BP that have to share responsability for the spill and may be the federal government is responsible too.
I recall there were already oil spills and disasters in the area ,like in 1979 when an exploratory oil well blew out, spilling an estimated 140 million gallons of crude oil into the open sea.
They said that ,I quote ,"although it is one of the largest known oil spills, it had a low environmental impact."
Is it true ?

We had a trial for one of the France's worst enviromental disasters with Total facing charges over the fuel spill after the sinking of the tanker Erika in 1999.

I heard on a broadcast last week that "In order to fulfill its responsibility to protect its citizens and territory, the government must establish a permanent moratorium on offshore drilling.”

What do you think ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:59

the rate of carnage increases daily as the leaks become larger due to continued erosion of the pipe. we better hope the junk shot works. as bad as it is now, it can get a lot worse. this is scary stuff.

Posted by: Arena1981 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 22:47

FUSTER CLUCK

Date: May 21, 2010 23:03

SwayStones, the way it's been understood by the people I've been listening to on the radio and from what I've been reading at nola.com and the newspaper, BP, by law, IS responsible. That will not change. The federal government is not. There seems to be some kind of timeline for the FG to step in. That does not mean BP isn't responsible but some people are thinking that is what BP is intending. The FG has taken over in some ways (and just as useless as with Katrina) but like Arena 1981 said, it's a fuster cluck. Keeping the information straight day to day, five weeks and counting probably into months in to the leak in the Gulf and all that is coming about from it, has been a bit of a mental task that is very very depressing for me and many people I know and don't know that live down here in Louisiana. Some days I step out my front door and my eyes have stung from the oil fumes in the air - and I'm a bit a way away from the actual leak. But the oil is not too far away from where I live as far as the sheen and the plumes etc are. We're all dreading rain that has oil in it yet alone everything else that might happen, like a @#$%& hurricane bringing it onshore in giant heaves of storm surge and oil laiden wind blown waves and rain (ironically as it is the oil reduces wave action created by wind but a hurricane doesn't care about that).

The problem is, just like how the dispersants BP are using are banned in the UK and the company that made them is owned by BP and Exxon and they just happen to have a shitload of it already made and they're saving money by using it and it don't even work as good as other dispersants do (nor is as safe), if the FG takes over, BP is seemingly free of any responsibility from their point of view it's been said - a lot. That they'll act on that. That's part of the reason why they have not said yes to anything, that's why they've been giving bunk info on what is going on and even about what happened. It's better for them to say a bunch of lies because if they're going to be wrong, at least they can be wrong for the wrong information and for not saying A but it turns out to be D.

Perhaps the sickest irony of this oil leak is that once it gets into the Gulf Stream it will end up in the waters of the UK and surrounding areas - albeit not nearly as toxic as it is here.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:15

The spill is very damaging and both the corporate and government clowns have been negligent...but all along the way up here on the surface, millions and millions of cars have been leaking countless emissions that poison the very air we breathe..now that's a disaster that has gone on for years and years.

Date: May 21, 2010 23:17

But a car passes by a turtle on the side of the road and the turtle doesn't die from the exhaust. A car crosses a bridge but the fish and crabs et al don't die from the exhuast. Birds fly over roads but the birds don't die from the exhaust.

Not even a distant comparison.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:19

skipstone
But a car passes by a turtle on the side of the road and the turtle doesn't die from the exhaust. A car crosses a bridge but the fish and crabs et al don't die from the exhuast. Birds fly over roads but the birds don't die from the exhaust.

But the cars are global, and its a slower death for sure, but both are disasters.

Date: May 21, 2010 23:22

>>Perhaps the sickest irony of this oil leak is that once it gets into the Gulf Stream it will end up in the waters of the UK and surrounding areas - albeit not nearly as toxic as it is here.<<

That's what I said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-21 23:38 by SwayStones.

Date: May 22, 2010 00:22

[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

[content.usatoday.com]

the suffering is unimaginable. critters are people too

Date: May 22, 2010 00:50

MKjan
skipstone

But the cars are global, and its a slower death for sure, but both are disasters.

Ah. But they do not cover every possible bit of land. You're nitpicking something that is just not comparable here. Animals being hit/run over by vehicles, yes, but as a whole, no. Pollution wise? No. It's not even at the end of the book of being the same kind of comparison. That oil spewing into the Gulf is pure poison period. There's a reason it's trapped where it is - it was formed there. it oozes out all over the planet in natural ways - and very very very very small ways.

None of the animals speak English or any other human language for that matter. They have no voice - and they sure as @#$%& didn't vote to have deep water drilling yet alone any other kind of drilling in water nor ask for it to happen to their home. They are treated by some, BP for one, as expendable. Or for that matter, they are not even THOUGHT OF.

Date: May 22, 2010 00:59

this is criminal negligence. possibly manslaughter (multiple) on top of other serious charges and (idiotic responses) in the special Senate hearing. quotes from which have been linked somewhere above. please read some of that while making counter-arguments and sharing views. cause fair is fair. this didn't just "HAPPEN"... it was WAITING to happen AND... imo, MOST SIGNIFICANTLY, the ball was dropped; corners were cut; sweetheart deals were made politically and otherwise with these various contractors and sub-contractors. and when the obvious threat, OBVIOUS threaT inherent in these things, did manifest, there was bullshit instead of coherent plan and backup to backup plan to avoid just this very thing. it's criminal. it needs be prosecuted. this is a game-changer. and should be.

the devastation is unimaginable. i've been saying this right along. NOW it's common accepted knowledge the spill is over TWENTY times what BP was reporting, and continuing....the damage is unimaginable. proof will yield itself w time and currents but there is no way this isn't a kind of genocide of irresponsibility and negligence.

Date: May 22, 2010 01:39

BeelyBoy, I agree with everything you've said (and no thinking required heh heh) and more so or something - the whole thing makes me sick. However, the sad part is, nobody is gonna do time for this, just like for the major fukc up with Katrina (Federal Government). Nobody is accountable. Everything with everyone is too big. This is easily a MILLION times worse than Katrina, of course, and it makes me wish we had a category 6 hurricane compared to this oil leak.

But that cock-sucker for BP who keeps running his mouth and said that this amount of oil is nothing? He'll just get to go home, to where ever the fuckall it is that he lives his little shitass life as an overpaid LIAR. Maybe jobless for the rest of his life but I doubt that even. And if I ever run into him it will be worse than what I want to do to either Gallagher brother from Oasis.

And that's really really really bad shit.

Date: May 22, 2010 04:56

Eleven men died & several more injured a month ago.

Date: May 22, 2010 21:59

Don't know if anyone's seen this but this is just stunning to watch:

[www.bp.com]

For some reason the other link doesn't work, at least for me:

[globalwarming.house.gov]

Nor does this one:

[www.nola.com]

Might they be the same feed?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 23, 2010 01:32

Also, SLOW movement bu Obama

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 23, 2010 03:18

mickscarey
Also, SLOW movement bu Obama

Blame GWB for not being able to predict this catastrophe!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home