Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 19
Re: OT - Mississppi Delta Abomination Oil Spill
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 1, 2010 04:49

I feel physically sick from it, knowing that the endangered ridleys and other sea turtles are going to nest on the beaches very soon and that the dolphins are having babies now and all the myriad of life in that habitat just makes me physically ill. I am disgusted with the human race and what we do to our fellow creatures.

one thing's certain, life cannot live with haliburton

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-01 04:53 by tumbled.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 1, 2010 06:35

skipstone
OK, one more time, just to clarify, that this, iorr.org and the posting here, is SUCH an ordeal for people to NOT read or post on certain threads - after all, I'm sure it has a huge effect on one's quality of life to participate:

ChrisM
This is indeed a catastrophe in the making but you are stretching to make this music related.
Er, I read and commented on the post out of genuine interest and concern. Skipstone, please don't be so quick to take offense. I, perhaps wrongly, interpreted Beelyboy's post as an attempt to somehow make this disaster music related. If I offended the delicate sensibilities of some, and it seems that indeed I have, then accept my apologies and forget what I wrote. There are after all more important things to think about and life is much too short to deal with such trivialities as as perceived slight, ne?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 1, 2010 08:30

uhhh gold coast slave she bound for cotton fields????

geographically inept of me? perhaps. i dunno. it's a catastrophe of insane proportions.
there's no music in the thread title. and even it was i don't get the fuss. mentioned it in my post cause guess what? that's what i think of when those gulf coast and southern states involved come up... dang... i'm gonna go meditate. try to wrap my head around how many generations of critters and habitat are poisonous carnage...
carry on.

[news.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 1, 2010 11:15

Indeed it's a catastrophe beyond measure, terrefying ! jeez - and yet they want to build platforms up north where I live, as well. But I guess most people up here will vote NO after seeing what happens in Mississippi, right now. Good luck to you over there....also to the animals and fishes; but they're probably not reading this forum....well, maybe some of them

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 1, 2010 11:21

Did the journalist say "eight hundred thousand " liters per day ?sad smiley

EG,do you think you'll be able to see the oil from Algier's point ?

Apart from the ecological disaster -poor seabirds...the cost and lack for the local economy is going to be very heavy .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 1, 2010 12:11

SwayStones
EG,do you think you'll be able to see the oil from Algier's point ?

Only if a hurricane comes up the Mississippi River from the Gulf, and hurricane season starts next month.

There's a real possibility of the oil reaching the eastern edges of New Orleans and the southern suburbs of N.O. through the Barataria waterways.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 1, 2010 14:41

Alright Chris M. Sorry man. I'm just really pissed off and you got it right, I am a little sensitive about it. I also signed on to help but there's enough help going on right now. Maybe I can help save a pelican or two. It could get into Lake Pontchartrain. Hopefully it won't.

Date: May 1, 2010 16:16

When was it when an oil tanker collided with an American Commercial Lines barge near the Mississipi river ?

They showed a lot about the oil spill on the French TV today .
I can't help being impressed one more time by the determination that you American show given the circumstances ..There were interviews of some fishermen and shrimpers that say "we're going to make it one more time " .

Date: May 1, 2010 18:26

If it keeps going, it has the chance to make the Exxon Valdez spill seem like the better choice. This oil coming out is like roofing tar.

It's much worse. In fact, it IS worst case scenario as far as the kind of oil. If the pipe breaks it will be even worse. Total destruction of a huge area. There are birds that are probably going to be completely eliminated from the planet because of this. The pelicans are just starting to mate and nest, all the various fish. It will take decades for recovery.

And that's just one of over 4000 rigs off of Louisiana.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 1, 2010 18:57

It's an ill wind:
BP profits jump after oil price rise

[www.guardian.co.uk]

[www.independent.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 1, 2010 20:09

Beelyboy
uhhh gold coast slave she bound for cotton fields????
Beelyboy, really sorry. I meant no offense. The situation is a huge balls up and and my comment was not appropriate. I only hope the impact is not as bad as it is predicted to be. Godspeed to you all...

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 1, 2010 22:03

Do not blame "drilling" per se. Blame BP for not using the safety caps. We cannot have it BOTH ways. Either we rely on the "other sources" for oil, drill ourselfs or place more effort into nuclear. Of course "someone" had to say "idiot" and make this politiucal but then some people...

Date: May 1, 2010 22:26

mickscarey
Do not blame "drilling" per se. Blame BP for not using the safety caps. We cannot have it BOTH ways. Either we rely on the "other sources" for oil, drill ourselfs or place more effort into nuclear. Of course "someone" had to say "idiot" and make this politiucal but then some people...

to wield this kind of carnage is beyond the rights of man. as far as i'm concerned this is a crime scene of historic proportion.

Date: May 1, 2010 22:35

Huh?

Date: May 2, 2010 00:11

i'm sayin' it's crazy irresponsible and it's criminal

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 2, 2010 01:23

What causes a world wide outrage today with the BP mess doesn't raise a single eyebrow about the bituminous schists oil extraction.

But it's ALSO a major disaster and an ecologic crime...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 2, 2010 07:27

Friends (particularly Chris M. and Skipstone):

The latest ( I live in Miami)-

"The Deepwater Horizon well is at the end of one branch of the Gulf Stream, the famed warm-water current that flows from the Gulf of Mexico to the North Atlantic. Several experts said that if the oil enters the stream, it would flow around the southern tip of Florida and up the eastern seaboard.

"It will be on the East Coast of Florida in almost no time," Graber said. "I don't think we can prevent that. It's more of a question of when rather than if."

At the joint command center run by the government and BP near New Orleans, a Coast Guard spokesman maintained Saturday that the leakage remained around 5,000 barrels, or 200,000 gallons, per day."

Read more: [www.charlotteobserver.com]

Date: May 2, 2010 23:03

Yeah, I read that. Heard it. It's tripled in size. BUT. There is some progress being made in hopes of getting some control of containing it. Like a lot of people have said, even something that might not work is better than nothing:

[www.nola.com]

I really really really really hope it doesn't get over to FLA and go around FLA up the east coast. I hope something bizarre happens and it is dealt with.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: May 3, 2010 03:09

Officials at BP, responsible for the environmental clean-up efforts as the rig's lease operator, said they were engineering a system to lower a dome-like structure over the well to capture the oil and funnel it to a collection tank on the surface.

Date: May 3, 2010 03:32

govaernors calling for national guard. thnx for update. i think the real truth will be hidden as much as possible and will only dawn on residents and others kinda slowwwlllly. many in alaska know the 'ultimate truth' regarding this: it CANNOT EVER be cleaned up...it WILL NOT EVER be cleaned up. it is a catastrophe that can not be erased. the carnage to sentient life flora fauna large sea mammals so much morreee...is a done deal. modern technology cannot clean this up ever. check the valdez site over the years even now... this is a huge dark dead zone and it's criminal. this was not supposed to be able to happen; unquote. the exact rationale given for implementing these technologies etc.... there is no way to 'clean this up'...or even, imo, significantly mitigate the terror and waste in this things wake.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 3, 2010 04:28

"Stark" has started

Date: May 3, 2010 05:53

If it runs its course, which just means to continue to blast out the oil, and the weather pushes it north and east, the sea bed of a giant section of the Gulf Of Mexico and all of the beaches and reefs up and down the coasts of Mississippi, Alabama, a lot of Florida's Gulf and Atlantic coasts and who knows how much north of there will be ruined.

What a way to kill a part of the planet.

Date: May 3, 2010 05:55

Animated oil leak in the Gulf:

[www.nola.com]

Date: May 3, 2010 05:57

[www.csmonitor.com]

timeline to shut down spill: three months.

"this BP offshore rig that exploded was supposed to be state-of-the-art. We've also been assured again and again that the hundreds of offshore drilling rigs along our beaches are completely safe. Now, we've seen workers tragically killed. We've seen our ocean lit on fire, and now we're watching hundreds of thousands of gallons of toxic oil seep toward wetlands and wildlife habitat.

This rig's well is leaking 210,000 gallons of crude every day, wiping out aquatic life and smothering the coastal wetlands of Louisiana and Mississippi.

As the reeking slick spreads over thousands of square miles of ocean, it rapidly approaches the title of worst environmental disaster in U.S. history, even worse than 1989's Exxon Valdez oil spill.

The well is under 5,000 feet of water, and it could take weeks or even months to cap it.

This disaster could unfortunately happen at any one of the hundreds of drilling platforms off our coasts, at any moment.

It could happen at the drilling sites that the oil industry has proposed opening along the beaches of the Atlantic Coast."

[www.cnn.com]

Date: May 3, 2010 06:10

halliburton also involved in similar recent australian oil spill??

nothing proved still investigating obviously but it's in the news cycle...
they MIGHT be, along with other builder/contracators, somewhat responsible for things getting to this point?

"Halliburton, a major oil services company based in Houston, was involved in the concrete work as a contractor in both the Montara and Gulf of Mexico spills.

A Halliburton employee, David A. Doeg, testified to the Australian commission that he made the problem worse at the Montara well by repumping concrete during an incorrectly handled procedure before the blowout. But Mr. Doeg testified that he was taking direction from PTT managers."

[www.nytimes.com]

i'm probably not gonna update this thread anymore... hope others do.
with sssoul thanks for geo clarifications in previous post this thread.

..it's kind of sick making and i don't i'm not an activist...and not much the cultural critic either...but a whole-hearted critter and nature lover is all. and i'm just worn out so low by this...

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 3, 2010 06:26

Beelyboy..That Australian oil leek the Ships Captain decided he would take a short cut into a protected coastline.You certainly feel sorry for the wildlife.Where do they get these idiot people from.

Date: May 3, 2010 09:44

The floating belt they put on the water doesn't seem to help much .

[www.lepost.fr]
Does this seem realistic to you ?

Urgent Need to Cap the Louisiana Oil Spill!

As I wrote before already several times, the gushing well needs to be capped with a five ton led-filled clawed bell, dropped to the ocean floor by a crane. But in the meantime, you should capture the gushing oil and divert it into tankers! For this purpose, a ten meter diameter aluminium tank without a bottom can be used. Ten 32 inch pipes should be welded to the tank on all sides, and 32 inch reinforced rubber tubes attached to them, leading to empty oil tankers. The bell can be held over the gushing well by a crane of the type that had recently lifted the South-Korean corvette. As for the capping bell, that one ought to be guided with precision by the GPS. Call me if the operations are successful. It costs me considerable amount of money and time to keep writing these posts! I want my share of the billions the government and BP waste on every simple problem! Just a 10,000 dollars will make me happy for the rest of my life!

[www.boston.com]
sad smiley

Date: May 3, 2010 18:47

Beelyboy
halliburton also involved in similar recent australian oil spill??

nothing proved still investigating obviously but it's in the news cycle...
they MIGHT be, along with other builder/contracators, somewhat responsible for things getting to this point?

"Halliburton, a major oil services company based in Houston, was involved in the concrete work as a contractor in both the Montara and Gulf of Mexico spills.

A Halliburton employee, David A. Doeg, testified to the Australian commission that he made the problem worse at the Montara well by repumping concrete during an incorrectly handled procedure before the blowout. But Mr. Doeg testified that he was taking direction from PTT managers."

[www.nytimes.com]

i'm probably not gonna update this thread anymore... hope others do.
with sssoul thanks for geo clarifications in previous post this thread.

..it's kind of sick making and i don't i'm not an activist...and not much the cultural critic either...but a whole-hearted critter and nature lover is all. and i'm just worn out so low by this...

Of course SOME people cannot resist the "politics". Tood bad

Date: May 3, 2010 21:18

politics is inevitable in the wake of this;because this is the big big money here and it's gonna go round the echo chamber for sure...
... hopefully here we can avoid hate speech at one another and generalizations about peeps personal politics.... it IS very emo issue...
if not bv will close thread down. i'm ok with that too... this is frustrating thing to live through..

here's a bunch of articles in one place. the graphic showing the SIZE of this thing is frightening..it's spread three times the original disaster according to reports.
this could be the worst eco disaster in u.s. history. the damage and consequences have hardly started... this will effect EVERYBODY's pocketbook in usa too before it's over...sadly, that's when the critical mass of people will be 'outraged'

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Date: May 4, 2010 00:00

uh huh

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home