Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any Johnny Winter fan here ?
Posted by: Italystonesfan ()
Date: March 6, 2010 22:51

I went to see Johnny Winter playing in Milan last night. He's in a very bad shape , but the man still rocks. He played one and a half hour. The set included most of his standards . I enjoyed a powerful version of " It's all over now ".
Opening act Eric Sardinas was very good too .

Re: Any Johnny Winter fan here ?
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: March 6, 2010 23:01

Yeah, saw him in Belgrade, Serbia in 2008. and 2009. Both concerts lasted 75-80 minutes each, which included a 10 minute instrumental intro by his band, but the gigs were great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-06 23:30 by Milan.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 7, 2010 00:17

Italystonesfan
He's in a very bad shape.

I saw him about six or seven years ago and I was shocked to see him assisted onto the stage.

He managed to stand up and just rocked back & forth. Never took a step in any direction. I thought for sure he was going to fall over.

To my amazement, he played very well and it was great show.

Date: March 7, 2010 00:24

He is one of those guys who I have really tried to like. He rocks on the slide, he covers Stones songs, the 'right' ones, he is an Albino in a cowboy hat - he should be a badass, but I have to say honestly: I don't think he is all that much fire. Just not that good.
Hey it's just one opinion.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 7, 2010 00:49

I'm always been a great fan of Johnny Winter. One of the best guitarists ever with a great blues-feeling. I saw him playing the legendar Rockpalast gig in Essen, Germany, in 1978. Incredible and unforgetable.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: March 7, 2010 02:26

Lord, yes. The "Johnny Winter And, Live"album from 1970 or 1971 is one of the better live rock and roll albums ever recorded. Lots of memories there.

Met Rick Derringer back in the 80s, who also appeared on that record. Very funny guy.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 7, 2010 03:10

Truly one of the greats. He also helped Muddy Waters regain a healthy popularity in his later years. At the time he was signed to CBS it was the richest contract ever given to that point(at least thats what I read).

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 7, 2010 07:29

Johnny is doing much better health wise since his current manager took over a few years ago...he still rocks but must sit down...his appearance at Dylans Madison Square tribute years ago was jaw dropping !...I did the cover of his last DVD release...his 'bootleg' series from the past are excellent..I think he is up to 6 volumes now..many concert pix on my website.. peterstupar.com ...peter

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 7, 2010 09:18

Love him. I have seen him 13 times, all in the Detroit area. A true blues powerhouse! A pretty nice guy too. I had the opportunity to meet him during his 86 tour in a small club in Ann Arbor, called Nectarine Ballroom. His first hard core blues album, Johnny Winter is one of the definitive blues statements.
It is so good to hear he is doing better health wise now! Great! Thanks for posting that scottkeef! Peter that is great you did that cover, I actually think that is a fantastic piece of work you did! Wonderful!

Date: March 7, 2010 09:25

Aw man.... i wuz supposed to sit in with johnny an muddy in, in think 1980..at the Commodore Ballroonm in Vancouver, B.C. i dont wanna go into detail about the @#$%& that threw stones in my shoes every step of the way to sabotage that gig... it's too frikkin painful , even now, 30 years later.. but i must say, i was honored to even be OFFERED the opportunity to DO the gig!
[docrockstudio.blogspot.com]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 7, 2010 12:37

Mongoose
Lord, yes. The "Johnny Winter And, Live"album from 1970 or 1971 is one of the better live rock and roll albums ever recorded. Lots of memories there.

Met Rick Derringer back in the 80s, who also appeared on that record. Very funny guy.

And the other wonderful live recording is "Captured Live". Rock'n Roll and Blues at their best. I never heard a guitarist who is able to play such fluid solos. The versions of Highway 61 and Papa John are the absolute guitar highlights in the seventies.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 14, 2011 07:44

Johnny played Gimme Shelter yesterday at Club Zepp Tokyo, Japan.

As we are still suffering from Aftermath, the song was the right choice at the right place and time.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 14, 2011 08:25

Absolutely! A real Blues-Hero. smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 08:25 by Come On.

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: April 14, 2011 08:31

I L-U-V JOHNNY WINTER! My favorite tunes are Coming Up Fast, Avocado Green, I'm Yours And I'm Hers.

I play with guitar with this friendly chap!

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:01

Italystonesfan
I went to see Johnny Winter playing in Milan last night. He's in a very bad shape , but the man still rocks. He played one and a half hour. The set included most of his standards . I enjoyed a powerful version of " It's all over now ".

I like Good Morning Little Schoolgirl

Eric Sardinas shouldn't play with fire. He got burned in Sydney.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:06

Memory Pain ........... always slaughters me .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:24

Apr 13, 2011 Setlist @ Zepp Tokyo, Japan

1.Hideaway
2.Sugar Coated Love
3.She Likes To Boogie Real Low
4.Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
5.Got My Mojo Working
6.Johnny B. Goode
7.Blackjack
8.Tore Down
9.Lone Wolf
10.Don't Take Advantage Of Me - sunshine of your love - Gimme Shelter
11.Bony Moronie
12.It's All Over Now

Encore:
13.Mojo Boogie
14.Highway 61 Revisited

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:30

Italystonesfan

Yes, love him, but I have not EVER seen him and I've heard that he is in very bad physical shape indeed these days, poor guy.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: sealingwax ()
Date: April 14, 2011 10:15

I like "I'm Yours And I'm Hers" and have a 1969 album of Johnny Winter's with it on.(Apart from Stones in the Park, the only place I could find a version). Find the overall style on the album too polished somehow and not raw enough. Just my own personal opinion.

Date: April 14, 2011 18:03

Find the LP he cut for UA. I think it was first released as Blues Experiment? Recorded at The Vulcan Gas Co in Austin it was later reissued as "Austin Tx". Thats the copy I have. Original band and he just rocks for the entire thing....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:13

the progressive blues experiment on the imperial label? good record - but it ain't all rockin' out - as per his norm, there's a couple of acoustic numbers there, too. good record, but the wide stereo separation is a little jolting at times.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:18

Saw him last fall. Amazed at his ability to smoke on the guitar in spite of his frailty. He is one of a kind, one of the greats.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:38

Atlanta, 1970. Had recently moved there as a teen from the Midwest. New friends turned me on to the Allman Brothers. First concert we went to was Johnny Winter. I can still see the curtain splitting and Johnny standing there guitar in hand, Rick Derringer at his side, yelling, "Ya'll ready for some blues!"

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:12

Have seen Johnny a couple of times in recent years. Apparently he's less frail now than he was a few years ago (did he break his hip?).

Both were great shows. He was seated and playing a small - i.e., lightweight - guitar. The name Laser comes to mind. The Firebird came out for the encores, though.

After he went offstage one of the times I checked his rig - a single Boss pedal!

Date: April 14, 2011 19:21

johnny had hip replacements several years ago and got addicted to pain meds...he's mostly recovered from that period when he was truly almost impossible to watch....

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:52

Not only is Johnny Winter my favorite guitarist of all time but he is the one that first opened my ears to the Stones. It was his apperance on Don Kirshner in 1973 that had me humming JJ Flash all the next day. A friend had told me what I was humming so at 11 years old I rode my bike to K Mart and bought my first Stones album- Get yer ya yas out- and my life has never been the same.

I met Johnny last year after a show in Dallas and I told him that I was his biggest fan ever and he looked up at me and said " No your not, my biggest fan lives in Detroit and he is over 400 lbs." Johnny was in great spirts and played a great show. I also touched on Stones related connections and asked him if he knows why they would play his song " Im yours and I'm hers" as the first song at the free concert at Hyde Park. He told me "because they must of liked it thats why!" I laughed so hard that I had totally forgot to ask him about the details of "Silver Train", as I have heard that the Stones wrote that song specifically for Johnny.
Johnny plays straight from my heart and his style puts him second to none. Without Johnny maybe my first Stones album would of been Undercover or Tattoo You and so therfore without YA YAa as the album that really turned me into an avid Stones fan, I would probably of been a doctor or a pilot instead of a guitarist. Thanks Johnny, you are the greatest.

Date: April 14, 2011 20:03

i think johnny's biggest fan lives down in brazil - an avid collector who was kind enough to send me some johnny shows i attended years ago. i believe he's posted many of these on various download sites in more recent times.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2011 21:31

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 21:36 by 24FPS.

Date: April 15, 2011 00:46

StonesTod
the progressive blues experiment on the imperial label? good record - but it ain't all rockin' out - as per his norm, there's a couple of acoustic numbers there, too. good record, but the wide stereo separation is a little jolting at times.

That may be it...and you are right, I forgot about those acoustic numbers but as a teenager I really liked Help Me, Rollin n Tumblin, Got Love..and was this the first appearance of Mean Town Blues? cant remember...

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:26

Big Johnny Winter fan. Love his rock 'n roll period in the mid 70's. Still Alve and Well, Saints and Sinners, and especially Captured Live are kick ass albums. Johnny Winter And Live and Captured Live are two of the most scorching duel guitar live albums ever recorded.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1385
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home