Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 23 of 26
Re: TAYLOR DID OVERDUB ON EXILE"S RE LEASE
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 10, 2010 12:48

Excuse my n00bness, but what track did B.B. King play on?

Mick says 10 years ago?? .... Maybe he means from sessions Stones recorded
Payin The Cost To Be The Boss with B.B. for his Deuces Wild Album from 1997

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Brano ()
Date: March 10, 2010 12:53

Don Was segment was very interesting, let's hope he already prepared some of that stuff for the future releases (Wild Horses with string quartet?)

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 10, 2010 13:28

what about this: "There was one moment where Keith said to me, "God, I think Mick Taylor sounds really good on that one" and I said, "Yeah, it sounds fantastic." Then I went online and found out that it's actually B.B. King playing on it and it was done like 10 years ago.

Just a thought...B.B. King's style. tone phrasing, etc, and MT's... hmmm..never found much similarity there, personally...

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: March 10, 2010 13:31

Don Was: "Well, as a bass player, I can tell you that Bill Wyman is a genius."

I totally agree. Let's hope if there's gonna be a new album, it's with Bill!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 10, 2010 13:39

Why such secrecy about whether Mick Taylor did some overdubs or not? He was part of the band at the time. I know there's been a lot of water under the bridge but.....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 10, 2010 13:44

Mack Jigger
Don Was: "Well, as a bass player, I can tell you that Bill Wyman is a genius."

I totally agree. Let's hope if there's gonna be a new album, it's with Bill!

Well, that was one of favourite parts in the interview... you know, what we have in the front of us is a genuine Rolling Stones product, all the big cylinders on (and even their best guitarist on the can...)

This is the real thing!

- Doxa

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 14:11

Doxa
what we have in the front of us is a genuine Rolling Stones product, all the big cylinders on (and even their best guitarist on the can...)

This is the real thing!

...Pardon my French, but I'm sure KEITH is the BEST Stones guitarist.
Mick Taylor is just brilliant...

Date: March 10, 2010 14:28

Filip020169
[
...Pardon my French, but I'm sure KEITH is the BEST Stones guitarist.

In one sense of the word he is, but in another sense he is not... I don't think more declaration is needed here because we know all this stuff.

- Doxa

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 10, 2010 14:32

Mick seems to have got 'Shine a light' (which isnt on the new release) and 'Loving Cup' (which is) mixed up when talking about adding some extra female backing vocals - he's also mentioned doing them on 'Tumbling Dice', which appears to be a reference to the 'Good time women' version.

Mick and Keith's comments basically back up what I mentioned earlier about there probably not being a lot of finished songs left off Exile - due to the fact that it was a double album and they were likely to to just finish enough songs to fill a double rather than have a lot of songs ready which would then be whittled down to the amount for a single album.

Amazing that the Stones are so clueless about their archives that they can mistake a recording with BB King from 1997 for an Exile outtake with Taylor from 25 years earlier. For Christ sake, guys, appoint a proper archivist. And while youre at it, pay heed to what Don Was is saying about those old tapes and get them preserved properly so that they dont rot.

Very good interviews with all three of them. Cant wait for this release.

Re: EXILE press release says ten new tracks
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 10, 2010 15:02

At ast !! some MUSICAL news ..............

Even Keith talking about "digital" process. Amazing. And talking about a phone call ? not fax smiling smiley ?

Yes it was time to have a look behind ans seek in the vaults.

I am happy to see that the re-release has 22 pages on the thread.

What is amazing is that all the books we have certainly do not mention the "new songs" - like Keith says about the bootleggers unable to catch everything.

Guess that the tapes were in a London Fort Knox ?

I am suprised about the fact to discover nowadays those tapes. Because like you know Mick was working on digital mastering already in BEING MICK. I thought he had take time to digitalize all the stuff...

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 15:07

toomuchforme

I am suprised about the fact to discover nowadays those tapes. Because like you know Mick was working on digital mastering already in BEING MICK. I thought he had take time to digitalize all the stuff...

i think you mean digital transfer, not mastering.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 10, 2010 15:27

JumpingKentFlash
Rockman
Any word if there'll be Japanese pressing of Exile with exclusive bonus track ???
They still do that thing in Japan? Always thought it was weird, yet funny. Why do they do it? I never understood.

Apparently it's to add value. Japanese CDs are sid to be very expensive and American or Euro imports of the same title can be cheaper

Date: March 10, 2010 15:30

toomuchforme
What is amazing is that all the books we have certainly do not mention the "new songs" - like Keith says about the bootleggers unable to catch everything.

It was Don Was who said that, I believe. What he was referring to was what has been CIRCULATED as being only a fraction of what there is. Which makes common sense, as we're talking about a recording career stretching back 45 years for a band that can spend months in the studio at a time.

What you said about the books is right, though - but then, it can be quite hard to get access to studio logs. Especially if the recordings were made somewhere remote or with a mobile unit at someone's house.

Date: March 10, 2010 15:44

Jagger said that he "spent six months living with it" - that's quite a big commitment to a project that supposedly has not much money in it. It almost sounds like he spent more energy into it than he did to A BIGGER BANG.

It seems like postponing its release was due to Mick's involvement; he really wanted to do the thing properly. That sounds good.

- Doxa

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: March 10, 2010 15:46

At least he spent more energy in it than Dirty Work, that's for sure.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 10, 2010 16:19

Silver Dagger
Why such secrecy about whether Mick Taylor did some overdubs or not? He was part of the band at the time. I know there's been a lot of water under the bridge but.....

If you go back in this thread to page 15 or 16, "Teddy", or "Lightning", or somebody, makes the surprising claim that Mick J wanted to keep Mick T's overdubbing session a secret from Keith.

Date: March 10, 2010 16:36

Sure that the credits will not mention him ... again ...
Keith's answer is strange. Does he mean he does not know ?

Date: March 10, 2010 16:40

Doxa
Jagger said that he "spent six months living with it" - that's quite a big commitment to a project that supposedly has not much money in it. It almost sounds like he spent more energy into it than he did to A BIGGER BANG.

It seems like postponing its release was due to Mick's involvement; he really wanted to do the thing properly. That sounds good.

- Doxa

yes 6 months back in the 70's is a LOT for MJ. But the conscientiousness mattered. The jag remains the Jag.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 10, 2010 16:47

toomuchforme

That was Don Was talking, not Keith.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 10, 2010 17:53

here's ''kind of'' a fun take on "EOMS"

[www.anorakzone.com]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 10, 2010 17:53

shortfatfanny

Let It Polka...
It´s Only Pop´n`Poll...( IOPP )

BTW,SFF,I like your new signature.Have the old one lost its colors for good ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 10, 2010 17:56

Seriously though ,sky is the limit ...
Of course I am going to buy the Exile reissues as I did with GYYYO's reissue ,but I can't help thinking that I would have prefered the "real" release,without overdubs.

I am not sure I'd like to hear the instrumental numbers from Exile On Main Street with Mick's vocals added .
Because Mick's voice is obviously not the same as it was in 1972.

I am not sure I want to hear Keith guitar added ,because it has nothing to do anymore with how it sounded then,in the basement of Nellcote .

I don't want to spoil the party and I won't spoil it because within some months ,the deluxe or what ever version of Exile will be together on my shelves with GYYYO ....but you know what I am craving for ?

Some real vaults !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 10, 2010 18:03

Gazza
Smokey
Is the DVD going to be broadcast on the BBC or will that be a different program?

The interview/documentary that is included on the DVD appears to be an edited version of a documentary that will be broadcast on the BBC (and I believe in the US) around the time of the album's release.
shouldn't it be the other way around? you'd think the broadcast version would be edited for commercials and the dvd would have the full version...that's a bit silly, if you ask me.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 10, 2010 18:05

Great inteview with lots of promising information. I love how Don Was praised Bill Wyman. But it baffles me even more that they won't say more about Mick Taylor's involvement.

Date: March 10, 2010 18:13

bernardanderson
Gazza
Smokey
Is the DVD going to be broadcast on the BBC or will that be a different program?

The interview/documentary that is included on the DVD appears to be an edited version of a documentary that will be broadcast on the BBC (and I believe in the US) around the time of the album's release.
shouldn't it be the other way around? you'd think the broadcast version would be edited for commercials and the dvd would have the full version...that's a bit silly, if you ask me.

They dont have commercials on BBC.

I see your point, but there was an announcement a few weeks back that Universal have signed some major deal with the BBC and an American company to make a series of music related programmes and this would appear to be one of them. So there's probably more money involved in securing the TV rights than there would be from selling the DVD.

Date: March 11, 2010 00:43

tatters
toomuchforme

That was Don Was talking, not Keith.

I understand now... it was not Keith style at all. I've read too fast.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 11, 2010 01:28

toomuchforme
Even Keith talking about "digital" process.

Where did he say anything like that?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 11, 2010 01:33

cant wait for that warehouse stuff to start coming out on future releases, they really should think about a neil young type set

Date: March 11, 2010 02:48

Thatd be great, and totally practical considering the Stones are bigger sellers than Neil, who said he didnt care even if it sold 200 copies, the important thing was to get it out.

Young being more artistically driven is the significant difference though, plus the fact that he's been obsessed with this whole project for about 25 years.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:04

Rockman
Any word if there'll be Japanese pressing of Exile with exclusive bonus track ???

They are saying that Disc 2 will include About 10 or 11 tracks.
I don't know what "about" and "11" mean.

5000 sets of Super Deluxe Edition come with SHM-CD format and the price is 198 AUD.sad smiley
These two things are written in stone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-11 03:44 by Toru A.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 23 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home