Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 26
Re: Some more Exile info
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 4, 2010 19:24

liddas
Was was fireing some huge missiles (Italian polite way to say enormous BS): If they had soooooooooo many outakes available, why are half of the 10 new traks only alternate versions of takes that are already circulating?

In any case, I will be first of the line when the Exile reissue will be in the shops!

C

exactly!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2010 19:42

T&A
it's what i've been saying for years - there's a crapload of stuff we ain't never heard - and at least some of older ones will never if they don't get serious about retirement and opening dem vaults. time waits for no one and it ain't on our side....

but you can't always get wh... aah never mind...

- Doxa

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 4, 2010 19:45

I wonder where this warehouse is? I would have a heart attack ifthey turned me loose in there. If there is a raid I'll get a tractor trailor truck and back it up! Start loading!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 4, 2010 20:04

nankerphlege
I wonder where this warehouse is? I would have a heart attack ifthey turned me loose in there. If there is a raid I'll get a tractor trailor truck and back it up! Start loading!

ok, we were looking for "trailer truck guy" - that can be you. do we all have to chip in for gas, gas, gas?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 4, 2010 20:06

And don't forget all the live soundboards they probably have in there. A lot of the tapes may be crap, but the '72 tour sure wasn't crap...

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 4, 2010 22:30

T&A ...hang on let me Start It Up first. Wow thatwas some cheese.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 5, 2010 02:46

liddas
Was was fireing some huge missiles (Italian polite way to say enormous BS): If they had soooooooooo many outakes available, why are half of the 10 new traks only alternate versions of takes that are already circulating?

In any case, I will be first of the line when the Exile reissue will be in the shops!

C

They're still unheard of material, regardless of how you look at it. Its not their problem that someone leaked an instrumental take of Dancing In The Light.

As mentioned before, there probably isnt a lot of unreleased, finished songs for Exile, for the simple reason that a) they had released an album a year earlier b) half the songs on Exile were left over from previous sesssions and c) it was a DOUBLE album and the amount of unreleased songs is naturally going to be quite small.

Date: March 5, 2010 02:50

yes, but if there are no more leftovers from that period which was undoubtfully their most productiv when they were still working as a band.

how many leftovers do you expect from the later years and how many if any from the 80´s till now. i don´t think there is much material. and if so than maybe 1 or 2 good songs and the rest is subpar.

Date: March 5, 2010 03:30

Theres maybe no more or few leftovers for the simple reason that they were releasing an album every 12-15 months.

Also, when you record a DOUBLE album you tend to include stuff that you ordinarily would have left off - not the other way 'round.

I cant get why people think that its realistic to expect a band who have a deadline to meet to submit an album before going on a tour, to have finished something like 25-30 songs, at a time when 10-song albums were the norm, and when they actually ended up submitting 18 for release - more than any album they've done before or since.

The studio sessionographies and available recordings from later years suggest that there were some albums where a great deal of unreleased material was recorded - most notably Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Voodoo Lounge. Whether a great number of excess songs were actually FINISHED is a matter of conjecture.

That doesnt even begin to touch on alternate versions. My own opinion is that almost every Stones album would have enough bonus material that would be good enough to fill out another disc, whether it consists of leftovers or alternates or a combination of both.

No one is or should realistically expect an album of leftover material to be comparable to the standards of the released album it was recorded for, however. Thats not the point of such projects.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-05 17:56 by Gazza.

Date: March 5, 2010 03:35

Voodoo Brew, Voodoo Stew, Crushed Pearls...those collection of outtakes might change your opinion. definitely worth seeking out.

Also songs like Make It Now, Honest Man (how could they NOT have included that on VL! because obviously Suck on Juglar or Brand New Car are far superior songs confused smiley), Strictly Memphis, Deep Love...hell just youtube Stones outtakes Dirty Work, Undercover, VL and you might be surrpised at what you find.

It really seems that post-SG up to VL (hard to tell what was on the cutting room floor for B2B, and ABB had only two outtakes) the Stones were mediocre, at best, in their song selection for officially released titles. More than likely egos and band infighting, Mick/Keith having their own pet songs, not to mention Don Was' apparent obsession at attempting to recreate an EOMS pt2 with VL are among the main reasons for this.

The Stones didn't forget how to make great music, they forgot how to recognize it when they did.

Date: March 5, 2010 03:58

bernardanderson
"I've been to the tape warehouse," said Was. "If you can picture the last scene of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' with this enormous room filled from floor to ceiling with (all these antiquities), that's what they have.
"There's stuff that nobody's heard," he added. "The things that have slipped out on bootleg is just a fraction of what's available. They could do this with every album they've ever made if they wanted to."

yeah, that's great. just great. thanks for telling us, Don Was! that's like dangling a bottle of water in front of a dying man in the desert and saying "no! you can't have it!". jerk. the "studio chatter" sounds cool though. i love that stuff.

If there is that much in the warehouse than it would seem this has been Mick's plan all along, to hoard all the sessions and keep them in a controlled environment until the band is winding down and the time is right to "open the vaults." At least we'd better hope that is the case, because otherwise, if the tapes are just sitting exposed to the elements in the warehouse, hour by hour they continue to oxidate and these troves of unheard material will just become an unusable mess. Was doesn't mention the condition of the tapes, but it would seem they must still be in good shape nearly 40 years later. Good news!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 5, 2010 03:59

Not to mention the near-album's worth of tracks they cut with Danny Saber in 2002 before jettisoning them to do the Forty Licks tracks with Don Was.

Date: March 5, 2010 04:12

TeddyB1018
Not to mention the near-album's worth of tracks they cut with Danny Saber in 2002 before jettisoning them to do the Forty Licks tracks with Don Was.

Really? with Danny Saber? These are Paris sessions correct? Or if not, where and when in '02 were they recorded? These are ones which Ronnie said would be reworked and released as an album after the Licks tour? I would be really curious as what these sounded like. I'd never heard anything about this. As I said before, another example of bad, bad judgement on the Stones part. Now the nearly decade long gap between Bridges and ABB makes sense. These Saber tracks essentially are the lost Stones album of that period (89-94-97-(02)-05). Those Was produced tracks for Licks sucked. A definite nadir in the Stones history.

Date: March 5, 2010 04:15

kissinc***incannes
Voodoo Brew, Voodoo Stew, Crushed Pearls...those collection of outtakes might change your opinion. definitely worth seeking out.

Also songs like Make It Now, Honest Man (how could they NOT have included that on VL! because obviously Suck on Juglar or Brand New Car are far superior songs confused smiley), Strictly Memphis, Deep Love...hell just youtube Stones outtakes Dirty Work, Undercover, VL and you might be surrpised at what you find.

It really seems that post-SG up to VL (hard to tell what was on the cutting room floor for B2B, and ABB had only two outtakes) the Stones were mediocre, at best, in their song selection for officially released titles. More than likely egos and band infighting, Mick/Keith having their own pet songs, not to mention Don Was' apparent obsession at attempting to recreate an EOMS pt2 with VL are among the main reasons for this.

The Stones didn't forget how to make great music, they forgot how to recognize it when they did.

Its sometimes a question of whats practical.

Look at it this way. Dirty Work was the first Stones album after signing a >$30 million contract with CBS. Jagger brought very little to the sessions in the way of new songs. Most of the songs cut (and released) were Richards/Wood compositions. A considerable amount of the best leftovers were sung by Keith, with no input from Mick. His contribution to the album was half-arsed at best.

Imagine the Stones going to CBS with a collection of 10 songs which they were going to release as an album - and half the songs feature Keith on lead vocals.

Aint gonna happen.

Similarly, most of the known titles that were left off BTB were songs with Keith singing. That album evolved out of two abandoned solo projects.

Date: March 5, 2010 04:33

Gazza
kissinc***incannes

Its sometimes a question of whats practical.

Look at it this way. Dirty Work was the first Stones album after signing a >$30 million contract with CBS. Jagger brought very little to the sessions in the way of new songs. Most of the songs cut (and released) were Richards/Wood compositions. A considerable amount of the best leftovers were sung by Keith, with no input from Mick. His contribution to the album was half-arsed at best.

Imagine the Stones going to CBS with a collection of 10 songs which they were going to release as an album - and half the songs feature Keith on lead vocals.

Aint gonna happen.

Similarly, most of the known titles that were left off BTB were songs with Keith singing. That album evolved out of two abandoned solo projects.

Well DW was the first time Keith had two songs on a release, so they could've possibly added one more. And even if they didn't extend to three, replacing Sleep Tonight and Too Rude with Crushed Pearl and Deep Love would've made for a stronger album so long as they would've locked Steve Lillywhite in the loo while mixing! And there is really no good reason for Strictly Memphis not to have made the cut. So even in that case bad judgement on what to leave in and what to leave out imho.

Good point about B2B, which is what I meant about not knowing what might be on the cutting room floor because no outtakes exist (I think its the only Stones album that this is the case, even ABB had Under the Radar & Wanna Go Home, plus those early mixes of the released tracks but all we have for B2B is the horrendous Any Way You Look At It). I think B2B sounds like a forced marriage of a Keith solo album and Mick solo album with a few Stonesy songs thrown in for good measure. It's not bad but it's never sounded like a cohesive piece to me.

Date: March 5, 2010 15:03

You're right about there being no circulating outtakes from BTB (and the fact that its unique in that respect - they only apparently cut 18 songs for ABB and all of them were eventually released), but the info on unreleased songs cut for BTB suggests that the songs left off the album mostly featured Keith singing

-Ever Changing World
-Dont Apologize
-High Or Low
-I'm Cured
-Young Love

Re: EXILE press release says ten new tracks
Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: March 5, 2010 16:47

ablett
"You are simply not qualified to comment."

so what qualifies you to comment?

I wasn't the one making ill-considered and immature comments about the road that someone else travelled despite not even knowing the person. It's simple really: If you don't have a clue what went on in someone's life then you're not in a position to pass judgment.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 5, 2010 17:23

I don't recall Flash being derogatory just stating that MT had left on his own accord?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 5, 2010 17:46

open-g
"I've been to the tape warehouse," said Was. "If you can picture the last scene of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' with this enormous room filled from floor to ceiling with (all these antiquities), that's what they have.
"There's stuff that nobody's heard," he added. "The things that have slipped out on bootleg is just a fraction of what's available. They could do this with every album they've ever made if they wanted to."

Yessss!

this looks like the warehouse in london that the stones share with led zepplin ,pink floyd and some other groups ?

I've posted these pics before, but with Keith's guitar collection in mind.
it sure sounds exciting.

Date: March 5, 2010 17:48

Gazza
No one is or should realistically expect an album of leftover material to be comparable to the standards of the released album it was recorded for, however. Thats not the point of such projects.

agree 100% with that!

Date: March 5, 2010 17:51

T&A
The Greek
T&A
Gazza
I'll be right behind you. If its too dark in there, remember that I'm the one with the hard nipples.

why is it that you always are so far behind me when it comes these kinda things??
i will be in the front as i have been told that nobody wants me walking behind them for the obvious reasons .this was told to me by a former high ranking offical at work .
dude i got the firepower and plenty of ammo .i am not afraid of getting a few shots in my direction .i will gladly lead the charge .remember i am a full blooded spartan (no kiddin )

whatever - we need strong leadership qualities here. are you qualified to lead? and are you patriotic enough to take one for the team if the vault people come out firing? this is not some panty raid shenanigan, you know.

Date: March 5, 2010 17:54

a real spartan? really? like from michigan state and everything?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 5, 2010 17:56

T&A

From old Greece of course, good grief!

Date: March 5, 2010 17:58

T&A
real deal from the old country it self 100% pure bloodline .hey do we have time after we raid the warehouse to repatraite the lord elgin marble that he stole from the parthenon at the acropolis .i could score some major brownie points with the family ?

Date: March 5, 2010 18:00

The Greek
T&A
real deal from the old country it self 100% pure bloodline .hey do we have time after we raid the warehouse to repatraite the lord elgin marble that he stole from the parthenon at the acropolis .i could score some major brownie points with the family ?

i've never heard of east lansing referred to as the "old country" but then i guess you gotta be a real spartan to know that.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 5, 2010 18:16

dewlover
Remember, just because the band doesn't think a song is great, doesn't necessarily mean it isn't...Keith didn't feel Satisfaction was worthy of being a single...Obviously, history proved him to be quite wrong!!!

Exactly. There you go for Dirty Work and few others since then.

Date: March 5, 2010 18:21

T&A
The Greek
T&A

i've never heard of east lansing referred to as the "old country" but then i guess you gotta be a real spartan to know that.
you know what i am talking about ,how lord elgin stripped the frieze off the parthenon because our neibours the turks were grinding the marble up for there baracks and lord elgin heard about this and wanted to rescue the frieze ,and he swiped them off the parthenon and carted them up on horse drawn carriage and procedded down to the port in pireaus and lo and behold the curse of athena struck violent storms and the loot fell into the water upon loading on the lord's vessel and then the lord sent a team of divers into the water to retrieve the marble .pretty wild story .so the lord arrives in athens and sets about to thieve the marble in the guise of saving them from the infidel turks and is told he would need permission from the sultan in costantonople and upon visiting the sultan and whatever bribe that he paid to the sultan gets the green light to procedd with the heist and you should see the marbles in the museum in london pretty impressive collection .during the olympics in athens in 2004 the greeks built a new museum to display the marbles but no dice from london and i learned not that long ago the greeks And the brits made a deal to LOAN the marble to be displayed in the new museum in athens .think about this the parthenon was pretty much intact all this time untill late 1780 or 1790 when the turks blew half of it up due to they were storing muntions in the parthenon and some accident happened and the major damage that occured followed by lord elgin's plunder in the guise of SAVING the frieze .some history huh !

Date: March 5, 2010 18:23

The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

you know what i am talking about ,how lord elgin stripped the frieze off the parthenon because our neibours the turks were grinding the marble up for there baracks and lord elgin heard about this and wanted to rescue the frieze ,and he swiped them off the parthenon and carted them up on horse drawn carriage and procedded down to the port in pireaus and lo and behold the curse of athena struck violent storms and the loot fell into the water upon loading on the lord's vessel and then the lord sent a team of divers into the water to retrieve the marble .pretty wild story .so the lord arrives in athens and sets about to thieve the marble in the guise of saving them from the infidel turks and is told he would need permission from the sultan in costantonople and upon visiting the sultan and whatever bribe that he paid to the sultan gets the green light to procedd with the heist and you should see the marbles in the museum in london pretty impressive collection .during the olympics in athens in 2004 the greeks built a new museum to display the marbles but no dice from london and i learned not that long ago the greeks And the brits made a deal to LOAN the marble to be displayed in the new museum in athens .think about this the parthenon was pretty much intact all this time untill late 1780 or 1790 when the turks blew half of it up due to they were storing muntions in the parthenon and some accident happened and the major damage that occured followed by lord elgin's plunder in the guise of SAVING the frieze .some history huh !

duuuuude! you're ruining the whole mood of this exile thing with all this spartan history!! i don't even feel like storming the vaults anymore...

Re: The Rolling Stones Exile On Main St Deluxe Reissue
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 5, 2010 18:27

bernardanderson
dirty work deluxe edition? will it be the opposite of a disc with bonus tracks? all songs removed!

Oh that is just too fukcing funny!

Date: March 5, 2010 18:38

T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

duuuuude! you're ruining the whole mood of this exile thing with all this spartan history!! i don't even feel like storming the vaults anymore...
ya know i could set the mood right and make everything better again and create a nice ambience

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home