Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: OT: 2010 Winter Olympics at Vancouver
Posted by: dougie ()
Date: February 25, 2010 16:57

The Sicilian

Canada is prepared to blow by the USA in golds with two curling, a possible hockey, and a couple others.

If we are blown away by curling, so be it. My grandmother is a really good at shuffleboard- We'll send her to Vancouver!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 25, 2010 16:58

The Sicilian
NICOS
One day later we all can laugh about it

Sign says "take the inner lane......it's quicker"

I don't think so. Losing a gold medal or even any medal on a stupid mistake will never be laughed at. It is something that will haunt him for the rest of his life no matter what he says in public.

Nobody said that Kramer made jokes already. We did. And Kramer will. After some time. Not much time, I predict. Don't forget that he has shown that he's the fastest (and at that moment also the most stupid) of them all.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 25, 2010 17:13

kleermaker
The Sicilian
NICOS

I don't think so. Losing a gold medal or even any medal on a stupid mistake will never be laughed at. It is something that will haunt him for the rest of his life no matter what he says in public.

Nobody said that Kramer made jokes already. We did. And Kramer will. After some time. Not much time, I predict. Don't forget that he has shown that he's the fastest (and at that moment also the most stupid) of them all.

I sincerely doubt he will be joking about it inside, maybe for a few reporters but he is a competitor first. I predict his coach will be fired after the beating he will get in the Dutch press after the olympics.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 25, 2010 17:29

Doxa
The Sicilian
The Sicilian
Doxa
Kipper - the best goalie in the world

That's debatable

I think that debate is over.

It's going to be Kipper against Miller tomorrow... Miller already humilated Brudoer.

Luengo seem to be doing just fine, but Nabakov turned out to be just another mortal (even though the loss was not no way his fault: there is no goalie in the world to do anything against that kind of thunder attack Canada did yesterday).

- Doxa
Yeah Nabokov got beat by his own Sharks teammates. The San Jose Canadians are on fire. I would love to see a US/Canada rematch.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 25, 2010 17:33

The Sicilian
What I can't understand is this disqualification crap between China and South Korea in the women's Short-track speedskating.

Clicking skates when athletes are practically on eachothers back seems very subjective. Korea had inside position and got screwed IMO.

Meanwhile the American women, a quarter lap behind everyone get a bronze metal that they did not deserve. I thought it was in cheesy and in poor taste to skate around with the flag on a questionable disqualification win.

The Sicilian, I respect your sense of justice over patriotic feelings. thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: February 25, 2010 17:53

My heart bleeds for the Swedish ice hockey team... They didn't deserve this.
Anyway - I'll cheer for the Swedish cross country ladies in tonight's relay.
And congratulations with yesterday's victory! It's great to see that a nation with a great anti doping policy and no tolerance of cheating does well in the games. It's about time the cheaters don't take home all the medals.
These games must be the cleanest in history.

Date: February 25, 2010 18:03

The Sicilian
kleermaker
The Sicilian
NICOS

I sincerely doubt he will be joking about it inside, maybe for a few reporters but he is a competitor first. I predict his coach will be fired after the beating he will get in the Dutch press after the olympics.

Not because of the beating of his coach in the press, because he has been treated rather mildly. But I doubt if it is possible to maintain a relation of confidence after such a blunder. Besides, Kemkers is a control freak and Sven is too great to be controlled. His ego is too big so I think he'll decide to hire someone who doesn't need to have total control but has a much looser way of coaching. That would have happened anyway. A matter of maturity as a great sportsman. Don't forget that Sven already is an Olympic champion and that many consider him as the best speed skater ever. He hasn't spoiled a once-in-a-lifetime chanche.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-25 19:15 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: February 25, 2010 18:06

He IS the best speed skater in history. That's NOT up for discussion. He's 23 - hasn't even reached the age where he's supposed to be at his best. Next Olympics, in Sochi, he'll be back and return to the Netherlands with 3 gold medals. Perhaps 4 - including the team competition. Time's on his side.

Date: February 25, 2010 18:45

Addicted
My heart bleeds for the Swedish ice hockey team... They didn't deserve this.
Anyway - I'll cheer for the Swedish cross country ladies in tonight's relay.
And congratulations with yesterday's victory! It's great to see that a nation with a great anti doping policy and no tolerance of cheating does well in the games. It's about time the cheaters don't take home all the medals.
These games must be the cleanest in history.

The infamous Norwegian hypocracy strikes back once again... I thought we already were past this childish propaganda bullshit here and just enjoy the great performances of the athletes.

- Doxa

Date: February 25, 2010 19:14

Addicted
He IS the best speed skater in history. That's NOT up for discussion. He's 23 - hasn't even reached the age where he's supposed to be at his best. Next Olympics, in Sochi, he'll be back and return to the Netherlands with 3 gold medals. Perhaps 4 - including the team competition. Time's on his side.

Don't forget Ard Schenk (a great champion and a nice guy too), Eric Heiden (4 golden medals) and Johann Olav Koss (whom I respect very much as one of all time greatest on speed skating and a fine human being as well). Sven is doing well (except for one tiny, decisive moment, but though), but he is not so far yet.

Date: February 25, 2010 19:28

One has to admire the tenacious desire of women's speedskater Stephanie Beckert of Germany skating to what seemed to be winning time of 6:51.39 in the 5000m race only to be upended by the Czech Martina Sablikova in 6:50.91 right after.

An impressive race. I would have loved to see them go head to head.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: February 25, 2010 19:48

I was under the impression that Beckert would've won in that case.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 25, 2010 20:01

Addicted

Kramer is really good at longer distances, but for the shorter ones he still needs to improve to be called the best skater in history. On the Adelskalender he's currently in second place, behind Shani Davis:

Date: February 25, 2010 21:28

I can't get enough of that voluptuous Cheryl Bernard of Canada's women curling team...

until that dark haired beauty Carmen Schaefer of Switzerland comes sliding down the ice.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:51

Addicted
Norwegian TV showed a clip where he (...) called him an a**hole...
It now appears he didn't even do THAT, at least not in public - at first it was thought he said "Wat een klootzak!", but later it turned out he said "Wat een coach!"...

Date: February 26, 2010 03:11

The American women losing 2-0 at the start of the third period. I hope they can find a way to pull it out.

They seem to be outworking the Canadians but they are slow to shoot, don't get anyone in front of the net, and can't hit the net. On a two "man" advantage in the second period one American girl got tired and skated to bench during a cycle. They don't know how to shoot one-timers either.

They keep shooting high on this girl to the glove side and slightly wide and she makes easy grabs with clean looks. They better get moving fast.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: February 26, 2010 05:48

andrewm
____________________________________________________________________________________

Canada, the country that invented the sport, only to see the bankruptcy of their dump-and-chase hockey made apparent by the Soviet national team in the 1972 Canada Cup, and which is led by Queen B-tch Cindy Crosby, ain't gonna win it either!

QBCC wasn't even the best player on the Penguins during their Cup run last year. Evgeny Malkin was by a mile.

2010 is the year of OVECHKIN! First at the Olympics, next in June.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Well, that didn't happen, did it baxlap ? Oh,and to the writer from Pravda who referred to Canada as a nation of "retentive cowards" a couple days ago, thanks for the added motivation !

No, it most certainly did not! (;-) I've got to take my lumps on that one. Then again, I became a hockey goalie as a kid after my cousins tied me to the crossbar. If I've got to eat sh-t, kindly serve it with tarragon sauce and a bottle of cabernet sauvignon.

I can't recall the Russian/Soviet team ever playing so badly in a big spot. Nabokov was awful! And their coach didn't help matters any by letting him start the second period. Their otherwise sloppy defensive play was another liability. At least Crosby wasn't a factor.

On to the semifinals....

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 26, 2010 06:12

Just a little something to get my American 'chums' ready for the mens hockey final tomorrow. Sleep tight! Mwaahaahaahaahaa!

Date: February 26, 2010 09:14

SomeTorontoGirl
Just a little something to get my American 'chums' ready for the mens hockey final tomorrow. Sleep tight! Mwaahaahaahaahaa!

Well, the Americans aren't in the final yet... and not either Canada...winking smiley

Great win by Finnish women ice hockey team over our beloved neighbour Sweden (who fought hard also, thumbs up). It was a great moment for those players to play in Canada, the only country where the woman ice hockey is appreciated. Even our president - a big fan of woman ice hockey - was enjoying the bronze medal with them there:

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-26 09:30 by Doxa.

Date: February 26, 2010 11:44

Well, the ice hockey fans in North America are already waiting for the Big Final of Sunday (is it Sunday?); some of them looking forward for Nailing the Coffin (The Americans), and some of them looking for Big Revange (The Canadians). For both of them the semi-finals of tonight are just a matter of protocolla.

Anyway, there are two small countries here in Europe that still have a chance to say something for that. For us what we are facing tonight is THE GREAT VANCOUVER HOCKEY NIGHT NUMBER THREE. To warm up the atmosphere I try to say something about the USA-FIN semi-final from a Finnish point of view. The point of departure is that no one has really beleived our (Finnish) chances in this tournament before or even during it. Ask any expert or hockey fan.

Hmm... the idea of the all the best plyaers available and the tournament to be played in Norh America, with a ring size of theirs, and also referee support (ask the Swiss)... everybody's looking for the big USA-Canada final, and USA facing Finalnd in semi-finals... Deja Vu? Yes! World cup 2004. A quick reminder:

Well, it was six years ago, and USA is totally different team now than then: now there are young and hungry and energetic players who play the most modern hockey of today (this is the point repeated by Finnish hockey experts). Back in 2004 - or in 2006 Torino Olympic Games - The US team trusted on the experience and 'star' status and their personal skills and no much tactical excellence. Now they are Team with a Big Capital 'T'.

In contrast, Finns still have the same key players than then: Teemu Selänne, Saku Koivu, Jere Lehtinen, Olli Jokinen, Kimmo Timonen etc. and unfortunately most of them are past their best date. Our younger guys, Mikko Koivu, Tuomo Ruutu, Valtteri Filppula, Joni Pitkänen etc. who should have the responsibility of scoring these days are not so great yet (if ever) as their forerunners. Fortunately the goalie Miikka Kiprusoff is as great as ever. But the USA has as great goalie as well. USA has clrealy better offense and defense.

So are there any chances for us? Well, the bottom line is that Kipper plays about his best game ever. Then: the experience. There are players who have been in situation like this before and know how to win them. Our 'granddaddy' line (Selänne-Koivu-Lehtinen) who have not been played so well need to use their experience and try onca again find their excellence. One more time, guys! In 2004 World cup all of them were more or less injured but they still were able to win the semi-final. Thirdly, the whole Finnish team needs to use its best weapon: play as one team, be as cohesive as possible: no egoism allowed. Fourthly, use the mental capacity we here call "sisu" (guts)...

Okay, see what happens... if the Americans might have their mind in the final against Canada already, and thereby under-estimate Finland, our chances will grow bigger. This is the third time in a row when Finland got into semi-finals when all the NHL best players have taken a part, and each time we have also made the final (against all expectations). I hope the history will be repeated: 'no two without three' or how they say... all in all, this tournament is the last time for our 'golden generation' to win something remarkable. I think Selänne and Saku Koivu will be in flames tonight...thumbs up

Oh yeah, if the clip above is not enough here is a bit longer reminder for Americanswinking smiley:

Aah, I try work but just cannot concentrate... soon I will head to shop to get some beer and then just nothing but waiting for the evening...drinking smileysmileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-26 12:02 by Doxa.

Date: February 26, 2010 16:57

All this coming on the heels of the Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge's statement that the committee is considering eliminating women's hockey from the Olympic games due to the lack of competitiveness between other countries.

Date: February 26, 2010 18:34

The Sicilian
All this coming on the heels of the Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge's statement that the committee is considering eliminating women's hockey from the Olympic games due to the lack of competitiveness between other countries.

Quite understable. There is about four countries that actually take the whole game somehow seriously. Of them only two are professionals (Canada and USA), while Finland are Sweden are 'serious'amateurs and for all the rest is just an obscure hobby.

In Canada there 85 000 registrated female ice hockey players, while in Slovakia there are 263! The result: Canada-Slovakia 18-0.

But Slovakia with its 263 ice hockey players still made it to the tournamnet of 8 teams by beating, for example, Bulgaria 82-0!

So, let the winners smoke cigars and celebrate after a hard competition...smoking smileydrinking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 26, 2010 19:26

Doxa, I have enjoyed reading your hockey comments. The USA Finland game should be fun to watch. While the N. American teams are on a roll, upsets could happen if the Finn and Slovak keepers come up big. In these tournaments it is often the goalies that decide the outcome.

The refs I have no problem with. I think overall they have called the games pretty well. I also laugh at the Swiss complaining about the refs in the second USA game. If anything the Swiss held, hooked and interferred as best they could with no calls to show for it. Ref missed a USA tripping call at the end behind the net, but really the game was called as a "let em play" mentality. That call on Kesler was a joke that disallowed a goal. I have loved watching the mens hockey. A great tournament that Canada should win becase they have the strongest lineup.

We will know more in a few more hours. Get em chilled down now!

Date: February 26, 2010 20:02

Thanks, filstan. The salt and excitement of these tournaments is that in this stage it is the question of only one match what counts. For example, anybody can have an extremely bad day or good day (the luck), and so "anything is possible". It is very much the question of concentration. If the teams would play, say, the best of seven, it would be more "fair" and the one with better and stronger 'material' would finally win. For example, Sweden would not have lost to Slovakia if they would have played best of five or seven. The same is with Finland against USA. If they would play best of seven, US will most likely to win four against one or two. But because everything is up just to one game, the chances are much better.

But thanks to this system, it has been possible for a country like Finland to go this far (and so often). In terms of material (quality players), we are (with Slovakia) about sixth or seventh best in the world, and it is funny to think that Russia, Sweden and Czech are now on their way back home, and we shall continue...

Still two hours...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-26 20:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 26, 2010 20:16

Amazing how the humble Finnish women blew kisses to their loved ones - whereas the Canadian women smoked cigars and drank beer. Who are the real winners?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 26, 2010 20:20

........the whole world knows that there is no snow in Vancouver now....smoking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 26, 2010 20:42

SomeTorontoGirl

STG?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 21:38

Congrats to Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette for getting the bronze medal last night. For those that don't know, her mother passed away Sunday from a heart attack shortly after arriving in Vancouver.
The whole country is now waiting for the Canada/ Slovakia game in 7 hours. Assuming Canada wins tonight, the whole city will be in party mode. This Olympics is actually turning out great for Canada after several disappointing finishes by the athletes in the first half, we're really starting to pick up alot of medals. Gold in women's hockey and the upcoming mens and womens curling and hopefully mens hockey. Our women are the ones who are winning practically all the medals so far for Canada!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 26, 2010 21:46

Doxa, I can assure you that no one here in Canada is taking a trip to the Gold Medal game for granted. We have the utmost respect for the Slovaks and are very well aware that anything can happen in a single game elimination.They've got plenty of scoring power with Gaborik, Hossa et. al. and they beat the Russians in the opening round. We're all just hoping that Canada plays the way it did two nights ago, combining its considerable size with speed and skill, cycling the puck down low and wearing down the opposition's D. If they do that, I like our chances. But again, anything can happen. As I said in an earlier post, I'm cautiously optimistic.

As for the pics of the Canadian women celebrating w/ stogies and beer, all power to them. They worked really hard for that and they're certainly not showing any disrespect to their opponents. I love those pics and I hope it inspires the men's team. Of the 17 medals Canada has won so far, 13 1/2 have come from the women (half of the ice dance pair). They've been an inspiration.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 21:56

In regards to the women's hockey photos, I believe they were celebrating after all the fans and American team had left so they were just amongst themselves.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home