Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 15
Re: OT: 2010 Winter Olympics at Vancouver
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 22, 2010 04:57

The Americans defeat the Canadians 5-3. The Canadians go downnnnnnnnnnn baby!!!!!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 22, 2010 05:19

You are the epitome of a gracious winner, sir. Full credit, though, to the U.S. for capitalizing on their chances and a brutal performance by Brodeur. Miller was the difference. Bring on the medal round and may we meet again.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 22, 2010 06:11

The Sicilian
The Americans defeat the Canadians 5-3. The Canadians go downnnnnnnnnnn baby!!!!!
O Canada....Miller actually outplayed Brodeurthumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 22, 2010 06:52

Geez, did he ever. It's funny, I actually feel better about Team Canada's chances overall after watching that game because our transition game, puck movement, team speed,etc. was pretty formidable for much of the game (as it should be with that kind of firepower in the line-up).

We now face Russia on Wednesday as long as we get past the Germans (and, no, I'm not taking that for granted)and I think that one will come down to a lucky bounce or goaltending. Gotta go with Bobby Lu in net from here on in. Final thought: what was Brodeur thinking on that second US goal when he batted the puck out of the air? I guess he was thinking breakaway pass up the middle.....

Date: February 22, 2010 07:21

andrewm
Final thought: what was Brodeur thinking on that second US goal when he batted the puck out of the air? I guess he was thinking breakaway pass up the middle.....
Either that,or basehit up the middle.winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 22, 2010 08:37

It doesn't look for Finnish team at the moment. Three goals by Sweden against our zero after two periods. One to go, not much hope... More feeling to the game, boys!

- Doxa

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 22, 2010 08:53

Beelyboy
Bode Miller takes Gold. That's a full set! Gold, Bronze & Silver WITH TWO EVENTS TO GO!! add those two silvers from Turin '02...Congratulations Bode; much joy in the north country mountains waaay NE USA

Wow, even the greatest of all slackers get super lucky once in a great while smiling smiley

Date: February 22, 2010 10:03

What a hockey night it was! Anyway, the next round will be the following games and the winners will meet the following teams in quorter-finals:

Canada-Germany ------> Russia
Switzerland-Belarus ------> USA
Slovakia-Norway ------> Sweden
Czech-Latvia ------> Finland

Forom a quick look I would say that USA will be quite sure in semi-finals. Also Sweden most probably. The rest is open.

As a Finn I need to say that even though our team was quite awful tonight/morning we are quite lucky thanks to the tournament schedule. Most likely it is Jaromir Jagr's warriors we are going to meet in thursday (but based on the performances of today, Czech should win quite easily, but fortunately it is ice hockey, and another day will be another day...)

But that quorter-final Canada-Russia will be a HUGE game. A kind of "moral" final of the tournament.

- Doxa

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 22, 2010 10:03

damnation with faint praise from the heltershmelter. Bode Miller has
Explosive power from top to bottom on that Gold run. beautiful. attacked it all the way down the mountain. classic...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 00:22 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: February 22, 2010 12:44

mariannerl
Bitches Brew
Great day for Croatia, we won silver medal today in alpine skiing - super combination!

YES.. Ivica Kostelic!!! Always a very good man (as his sister Janica was, brillant, 4 gold 2 silver the best olympic alpine ski lady of all time)!! Bronze for our Silvan Zurbriggen.. And at least BODE got his gold.

What a run that was! Very dramatic untill the last esecond!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 22, 2010 15:19

Bode Miller you da man !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:42

NICOS
NICOS
Tonight we will get our second gold ............at least I hope

Yes........1500 m skating Mark Tuitert

NICOS, you sure have a predicting gift! Did you also predict Dutch Irene Wuest winning gold? But the guys here are mostly hockeymomswinking smiley. They just don't understand the pure beauty of speedskating, whoever wins what.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 22, 2010 21:58

No I didn't kleermaker, I was sitting on the edge of my chair knowing that there still were some great skaters to come in the end

Date: February 22, 2010 22:45

kleermaker
NICOS
NICOS

NICOS, you sure have a predicting gift! Did you also predict Dutch Irene Wuest winning gold? But the guys here are mostly hockeymomswinking smiley. They just don't understand the pure beauty of speedskating, whoever wins what.

That's true. I never get the point to skate without a stick and a puck... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: February 22, 2010 23:21

yeaHHH---go germany go

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Date: February 23, 2010 02:46

Doxa
kleermaker
NICOS
NICOS

That's true. I never get the point to skate without a stick and a puck... grinning smiley

- Doxa

You're a barbarian, Doxa. Ask Bjornulf, he certainly loves speed skating as a true Norwegian fella.

Date: February 23, 2010 03:00

On last night's hockey game and excerpt from Lisa Olson:

The scene in the streets outside on this sweet, Super Sunday was a harsh mixture of anxiety and total confidence. The biggest crowd since the Olympics began nine days ago had congregated in downtown -- and that's saying something, because the crowds every night have been immense and joyful, happy globs almost too thick to squeeze through. But now they came to stress, to wring their hands and bond over the unthinkable. As Don Cherry, that lovable hockey nut, noted in interview after interview, "Canada has to win. We cannot be second. Second means we're failures, and we cannot fail when it's in our own barn."

Cherry was talking about the tournament in total, not the preliminary game against the underrated Yanks. But when Team USA's Brian Rafalski's slap shot 41 seconds into the game deflected off Sidney Crosby's stick and flew past Martin Brodeur, the best goalie on the planet for a long time but not the best on this night, you could have lit a match to all the bars along Granville Street and nobody would have noticed.

The liquor stores closed shop early, to reduce public drunkenness. In the town square there's an enormous TV screen that every night has shown highlights of the Olympics, but now it was tuned to perpetual loops of skiing, or curling. Organizers said they decided not to broadcast the game, for fear of what might happen.

Winter Olympic Hockey Results It's almost as if they willed this bad karma from the moment the national mantra became gold or nothing. Every time U.S. goalie Ryan Miller stonewalled a Canadian shot, every time the Team USA defense stymied a late surge by the relentless pack in red, the bars and restaurants and hospitality venues unleashed a collective groan that could be heard over on the waterfront. The game was broadcast in 10 languages, on tens of millions of TVs, and depending on which door you walked through during the three tensest hours imaginable, you could hear curses being yelled in a variety of dialects.

In the Molson Canada Hockey House, a puck-themed pavilion adjacent to where the game was being played, more than 2,000 paid good money just to be near the rink. Dressed almost exactly alike in red jackets and scarves, they gritted their teeth and tightened their shoulders as Miller staved off wave after wave of Canadian superstars. Canada outshot the U.S. 43-23, but Miller was the difference, his dazzling effort during a wild, frantic third period causing the lubed crowd flashbacks to another goalie who worked miracles 30 years ago.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 23, 2010 03:03

Stephen Colbert...down the slippery slope...Vancouver '010!

This is a good article - funny too:

[www.nola.com]

Date: February 23, 2010 04:52

The Austrians just destroyed the Germans and Norweigans in Ski Jumping in defense of their gold.

The Americans team is failed to qualify for the final rounds. An embarrassing showing for the USA team.

Date: February 23, 2010 05:22

The Sicilian
The Austrians just destroyed the Germans and Norweigans in Ski Jumping in defense of their gold.

The Americans team is failed to qualify for the final rounds. An embarrassing showing for the USA team.
Not as embarrasing as the Austrians showing in teh Alpine events....Or as embarrasing as the Russian team has been overall. Whoever their minister of sports was,is about to be sent to siberia.eye popping smiley

Date: February 23, 2010 05:50

skipstone
Stephen Colbert...down the slippery slope...Vancouver '010!

This is a good article - funny too:

[www.nola.com]

haha; stephen rox

Date: February 23, 2010 05:52

The Sicilian

usa has ever had consistent (or even 0ne majorly Olympian jumper) ? ?
for reasons i don't understand...there are great facilities at lake placid and elsewhere.... hmmmm.. i need to learn more about dis...

Date: February 23, 2010 15:12

Beelyboy
The Sicilian

for reasons i don't understand...there are great facilities at lake placid and elsewhere.... hmmmm.. i need to learn more about dis...

I was thinking the same thing. Plenty of capable facilities in the US and Canada. Probably doesn't help your chances with only 3 ski jumpers and an average age of just over 19.

Date: February 23, 2010 15:41

The Sicilian
Beelyboy
The Sicilian

I was thinking the same thing. Plenty of capable facilities in the US and Canada. Probably doesn't help your chances with only 3 ski jumpers and an average age of just over 19.

I guess it is the question of interest and culture (having pioneers, good examples, etc). For example, Ski Jumping is very popular form of sports both in Norway and Finland but for some reason in Sweden - geographically about the same situated having same opportunities and conditions, etc - it doesn't seem to gather much interest, and the Swedes have traditionally done quite poorly in it.

In Finland - and seemingly elswhere too - there always be new talents in Sky Jumping as long as there are young, shy, small, skinny boys in need of fame, pussy, money, drugs and alcoholgrinning smiley... Among the athletes the Sky Jumpers seem to be a funny little trouble-maker group of their own (always making headlines for bad behavior)... Perhaps one needs to have a kind of 'right' mentality to be good in it...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 15:43 by Doxa.

Date: February 23, 2010 15:50

kleermaker
Doxa
kleermaker
NICOS
NICOS

- Doxa

You're a barbarian, Doxa. Ask Bjornulf, he certainly loves speed skating as a true Norwegian fella.

>grinning smiley<

What are you talking about!!!! Just look at the beauty of it (here a clip of it even without the sticks and a puck grinning smiley):

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 15:55 by Doxa.

Date: February 23, 2010 15:55

Doxa
kleermaker
Doxa
kleermaker
NICOS
NICOS

- Doxa

>grinning smiley<

What are you talking about!!!! Just the look the beauty of it (here a clip of it even without actuallt the sticks and a puck grinning smiley):

- Doxa

Ice fighting, so much funnier than ice dancingcool smiley

Date: February 23, 2010 15:58

And then we have the real disappointment, the USA Mens Curling team. This squad looks like a bunch of freshman college students on a night on the town.

Look at the hobbies of some of these kids, skateboarding, playing cards, fantasy football, going out with friends etc...

This team lacked maturity and the skill required to compete on this level. The women have played much better than the men. With only 2 wins and now eliminated this men's team has secured the title as the worst ever.

Date: February 23, 2010 16:30

Talking about disappontnemnts. The WHOLE Finnish team.

Medal standings by now:

United States 7 8 10 25
Germany 7 9 5 21
Norway 6 3 5 14
Russia 2 3 6 11
Canada 5 4 1 10
South Korea 4 4 1 9
Austria 3 3 3 9
France 2 2 4 8
Switzerland 5 0 2 7
Sweden 3 2 2 7
China 3 1 1 5
Netherlands 3 1 1 5
Poland 0 3 1 4
Italy 0 1 3 4
Slovakia 1 1 1 3
Czech Republic 1 0 2 3
Japan 0 1 2 3
Australia 1 1 0 2
Latvia 0 2 0 2
Belarus 0 1 1 2
Croatia 0 1 1 2
Slovenia 0 1 1 2
Great Britain 1 0 0 1
Estonia 0 1 0 1
Finland 0 1 0 1
Kazakhstan 0 1 0 1

Keith can sing to Finland "You Got the Silver" indeed...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-23 16:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 23, 2010 16:38

Sweden is really doin well at this games this time

for 3-2-2

smiling bouncing smiley

Date: February 23, 2010 16:54

I don't want to say that the U.S. is doing really well at the games. But we're ready to make British Columbia the 51st state.smiling bouncing smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1349
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home