Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: y.c.a.g.w.y.w.. best tour version?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 1, 2010 18:15

The Sicilian
T&A
The Sicilian
The 1972 versions were more methodical and true to the album version

what? not even close - they didn't even include the music bridge that they only reintroduced in modern times...

The 1972 versions were more methodical and true to the album version but rather truncated and succinct. You forgot to add the last part of my sentence.

i didn't - i think the 72/73 versions are the LEAST similar to the album version, truncation and succinctness aside....

Posted by: stonesfan ()
Date: February 1, 2010 18:41

I prefer the 1973 versions, yes!! because of Mick Taylor, but second best is a version played in "MSG New York" 27 june 1975 with a awsome 6 minutes lead guitar Solo from Ron Wood, listen to the" 3cd boot "Hold On Tight" or 1 cd "welcome Back To New York"!! and enjoy it
John.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: February 1, 2010 19:05

my favorite:

other top pics would be hampton 1981, and the one off the bridges dvd.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 1, 2010 20:40

Funny, the thread started by UrbanSteel called "Ronnie is not that bad , in fact he is damn good !" which caused so much commotion, opened, if I remember well, with a version of YCA.etc. with Ron Wood.

Now we see that the Taylorists choose a version with ....well you know who and the Woodyists choose a version with ....guess who.

The neutrals and those who like everything of the Stones choose sometimes a MT-version and sometimes a RW-version, or two versions, one with MT and one with RW. Those people would do very well as politicians willing to compromise.

Me, as a Taylorist, I choose of course a version with the guitar master and though it's difficult to choose from so many great performances during the 72 and 73 tours my choice at this very moment is the version they played in 1973, London, Sept. 8, first show. Without (thank god) a sax solo in it and still during more than 9,5 minutes and such a great solo and variation of 'loud' en 'soft' playing (dynamic!) as I've never heard in the other versions. At a certain moment the whole band is playing so 'silently' and at the end of the soloing, just before Jagger restarts to sing, MT plays so simply and such beautiful notes in such a stunning, melancholic way that it really moves me. Check it out, you Stonesfans, Taylorists and Woodyists alike and enjoy some great music which should not be on an 'very good audience' bootleg but on a official and well compiled CD-set with the best live music during the 70-73 era.

If I only had the chanche to compile such a CD-set with some IORR-members! It would be easy to pick them (songs as well as memberswinking smiley). And it certainly would be great fun to make such a compilation together.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 1, 2010 21:48

My favorite is 72.

OKkkaaaay then 73 for brussels.

then I'd go with 81 followed by 75. In 75 it dragged a little too much for me. Keith and Ron helped make it interesting but overall it was a bit lethargic on that tour. It was longer and played in a slower tempo. In 81 it got a little funkier and sounded better.

from 89 on it was a pretty fun song still but not nearly as interesting musically. On the ABB tour Ron's improved solo on this song was a welcome change.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-01 21:53 by ryanpow.

Date: February 1, 2010 21:54

ryanpow
from 89 on it was a pretty fun song still but not nearly as interesting musically. On the ABB tour Ron's improved solo on this song was a welcome change.

yeah, on one of those south american broadcasts, ronnie's solo sounds almost inspired or something! you hear that and you think..."what goes on with him the rest of the time?"

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: February 1, 2010 22:14

kleermaker

If I only had the chanche to compile such a CD-set with some IORR-members! It would be easy to pick them (songs as well as memberswinking smiley). And it certainly would be great fun to make such a compilation together.

A buddy of mine put together a YCAGWYW Solo's only CD entitled "Let the Preacher do the Preaching" or something similar to that title many years ago, 2 hours of MT Lol

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 1, 2010 22:21

Nothing compares to '72...

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 1, 2010 22:36

73 australia royal randwick racecourse

Date: February 1, 2010 22:39

S.T.P
Nothing compares to '72...

bless you

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 1, 2010 23:40

Rockman
LA Forum 10 July 1975.....Ronnie aims for the sky and hits it & no sing-a-long .....

Interesting.

Now I know you a little more.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2010 23:53

Now I know you a little more

..........Hey mum where's me other wig?....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 2, 2010 00:23

Tumblin_Dice_07
dcba
Innsbruck 73 (on that VGP cd that says Berlin Oct.19) smoking smiley there's an amazing interplay between MT and Bobby Keys thumbs up beats the one on Brusels Affair imo.

I wasn't aware that there was any recording of Innsbruck '73. Berlin, yes, but Innsbruck? Can you provide more information or any verification of why you think it's Innsbruck and not Berlin?

That would make two. I am not aware of the existance of an Innsbruck tape. Please elaborate!

Mathijs

Date: February 2, 2010 01:30

with sssoul
>> I didn't know they did Innsbruck in '73 <<

september 23rd - the Olympiastadion, no less
Nico Zentgraf's site is brilliant for checking things like that: [www.nzentgraf.de]
I'm sorry Sssoul. I phrased that wrong. I was going by "Boot Calendar". And I have never heard a Innsbruck 73 recording, I should say.

Date: February 2, 2010 07:29

The Best Y.C.A.G.W.Y.W. :

1) 1973
2) 1972
3) 1975 ( L.A. 1st ; N.Y. 2nd )
4) 1976
5) 2006 ( January & February - specifically Buenos Aires & Rio de Janeiro )
6) 1997 / 1998
7) 1995
8) R. & R. Circus

The Worst Y.C.A.G.W.Y.W. :

1) 1989 / 1990
2) 2002 / 2003
3) 1981 / 1982

2005,most of 2006,and the 2007 performances were average more often than not.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: February 2, 2010 07:42

microvibe
73 australia royal randwick racecourse

Nothing compares to '72, except maybe those early '73 shows!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 2, 2010 12:17

About Innsbruck :
credit should go to Dieter Hoffmann (once again) : in BN #20 p.19 he reviews VGP-140 as saying "the recording date for this nice Cd is not 100% confirmed but for sure it is not Bern but it could be Innsbruck?!".

How does he come to the conclusion?

A) some German language is heard on the tape so it narrows the ID possibilities. Check the "73 tour special" in BN#15 and you'll find three undocumented dates that match the "some German language" clue : the 1st Cologne, Innsbruck and Berlin.
Cologne it's not obviously so it's a tie between Innsbruck and Berlin.

Hoffmann doesn't think it's Berlin and me neither; it doesn't sound like a end-of-tour show (where bands usually crank it up) : the final show of the 73 tour must have been pretty incredible. What's on VGP-140 isn't. It's an OK show not a slaughter à la "Bruxelles Affair" more the kind of a quickie gig you play in a small town...
And the tedious sax solo on YCAGWYW makes me think it's Bobby playing (MT shines on this one though).
And not even a "Good night Berlin!" to close the show?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-02 12:30 by dcba.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 2, 2010 12:35

If it is an audience recording do you hear anyone from the audience talking? Then it would be easy to tell whether it is Austrian dialect (which is no problem to identify) or from another area of Germany.

Date: February 2, 2010 13:15

I really don't think the dialect of German can serve as an indicator. yes it was 73, but even then people travelled to Stones shows. It's a hop skip anywhere in Switzerland/Austria/Southern half of Germany.
And I thought that it was Trevor Lawrence who added some Sax solo-ing to YCAGWYW

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 2, 2010 14:49

Nothing compares to the arrangements of YCAGWYW played in 1972-1973.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 2, 2010 14:53

it's all about who is singing back-up:
72-73 are the best with keith singing back-up, just tremendous.
vegas versions are atrocious, with wretched gospel back-up zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Date: February 2, 2010 16:00

Slick

I agree that '72 & '73 are the best with K.R. singing back-up but,the modern way isn't Vegas style,it's closer to how the actual song off of Let it Bleed sounds which is what the majority of the audience probably wants anyway.

Date: February 2, 2010 16:04

Winning Ugly VXII
Slick

I agree that '72 & '73 are the best with K.R. singing back-up but,the modern way isn't Vegas style,it's closer to how the actual song off of Let it Bleed sounds which is what the majority of the audience probably wants anyway.

Keith couldnt do those BU vocals anymore, but while they were they were beautiful. I am not so sure that the majority of audience wants the record version. At one point, yes; in 89 it was good. But I don't want to fall prey to excatly what has happened to Jagger: that he underestimates the intelligence and open-mindedness of his audience.

Date: February 2, 2010 16:06

<The neutrals and those who like everything of the Stones choose sometimes a MT-version and sometimes a RW-version, or two versions, one with MT and one with RW. Those people would do very well as politicians willing to compromise.>

Or they just like good music from their favourite band winking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 2, 2010 16:37

DandelionPowderman
<The neutrals and those who like everything of the Stones choose sometimes a MT-version and sometimes a RW-version, or two versions, one with MT and one with RW. Those people would do very well as politicians willing to compromise.>

Or they just like good music from their favourite band winking smiley

Hey DandelionP., do you remember I asked you a question, namely why you thought you had to warn me for being banned here? I didn't got no anwer yet.

I also read complaints of some people (whose names I've forgotten) about newbees being so audacious to bluntly say their opinions and especialy criticism concerning the Stones while others being here for so many years ...etc.

Is that your problem and the true reason why you warned me without being concrete as for what I exactly had done wrong in your eyes?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 2, 2010 20:38

I will second the opinions about the '72 tour, but will also second the opinion regarding my personal fav...Wembley 9/8/73, 1st. What a fine recording that is (done by a poster on this board)! Another example of Taylor-Jagger on stage interplay. Taylor makes some of those notes shimmer! Probably Taylor's longest on stage solo. And a nicely constructed one it is.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 2, 2010 20:49

dcba
About Innsbruck :
credit should go to Dieter Hoffmann (once again) : in BN #20 p.19 he reviews VGP-140 as saying "the recording date for this nice Cd is not 100% confirmed but for sure it is not Bern but it could be Innsbruck?!".

How does he come to the conclusion?

A) some German language is heard on the tape so it narrows the ID possibilities. Check the "73 tour special" in BN#15 and you'll find three undocumented dates that match the "some German language" clue : the 1st Cologne, Innsbruck and Berlin.
Cologne it's not obviously so it's a tie between Innsbruck and Berlin.

Hoffmann doesn't think it's Berlin and me neither; it doesn't sound like a end-of-tour show (where bands usually crank it up) : the final show of the 73 tour must have been pretty incredible. What's on VGP-140 isn't. It's an OK show not a slaughter à la "Bruxelles Affair" more the kind of a quickie gig you play in a small town...
And the tedious sax solo on YCAGWYW makes me think it's Bobby playing (MT shines on this one though).
And not even a "Good night Berlin!" to close the show?

According to several reports, they performed both Heartbreaker and Mr D in Innsbruck - while Berlin was a definate "Mr D concert" - so I doubt that it's Innsbruck.....also; the Austrian and Swiss shows of 09/73 were subpar.....according to the recordings and the reports; while the VGP release ( "Berlin 1973" ) features a REAL great performance.....maybe not as much of a thrill as Brussels.....but hardly any concert is.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 3, 2010 17:28

I think I like the Steel Wheels performance of it best because of the double time rockin' gospel jazz vibe and how tight it is etc, no meandering guitar soloing.

Although I do like Woody's CATONKING on Love You Live...

Date: February 3, 2010 17:53

Bridges YCAGWYW was tighter & probably the most compressed.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 3, 2010 18:07

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home